As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Landlord advice (again): Tenant moving out early

milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky MuckBig Tits TownRegistered User regular
Hey guys. Last month, I made a post asking for help with a situation that arose with my current tenant; she could only make a partial payment of last month's rent, and I had some questions about late payment charges. Well, now she's messaged us and stated that because her grades are slipping, she's not qualifying for some of the grants and scholarships she planned for, and she won't be able to afford to live at our property any longer. She says she'll be moving back in with her parents on the other side of town. So, here's my question:

She signed a 12-month lease contract with us, and she only stayed for three months. Am I correct in the understanding that we are still entitled to the remaining 9 months of unpaid rent, even if she's not still living at the property? Because that's the way I understand it. She is offering to find someone else to rent the property for the remainder of her lease, but the truth is that I never wanted to lease the property in the first place; I wanted to sell it outright last December, but I was willing to rent it out to this specific tenant because her parents are friends of ours. I've been really disappointed by her, though, and I don't want any of her friends in that house. Frankly, I don't want anyone in that house. What I want to do is get it re-painted, fixed up and put up on the market so we can sell it off and wash our hands of it.

I told her that we need to set up a time to get together next week to discuss rental payments. She says she's not only behind on the rent, but on student loan payments, hospital bills, and a number of other things. And, you know, I feel bad for her ... but we have a legally-binding contract that states she'll be in that property and making payments for 12 months. I understand that times must be rough for her right now, but I'm frankly not willing to hand-wave several thousand dollars' worth of payments if we're legally-entitled to them.

So, what are my options here, guys?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Well, IANAL, but if your preference is to turn-over the property and sell it, you should probably let her out of the remainder of her contract. Yes, you're entitled to all of your rent. However, I'm pretty sure she is also equally entitled to a livable unit for the remainder of her contract. Which means you might not be allowed to go in there with a paint crew and cleaning chemicals and what-not.

Honest advice is get some legal counsel.

There's definitely some way to work this out, and hopefully you had her parents co-sign the lease so that you have some legal ground with them as well, because she sounds like she has no real ability to pay.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately, her parents did not co-sign the lease. We did not feel that was appropriate. When she moved in, her financial situation was good. Here's my current plan for when we sit down next week to talk it out: because we intend to sell the property as soon as possible, she should be liable for payments up until the month in which we sell it. So, she owes us nine months of rent, but if we sell the property three months from now, she'll only owe us for those three. After all, no judge is going to order someone to pay rent on a property we don't owe anymore.

This does several things for us: it helps to ensure that the tenant will be out of the property when she says she will be (the sooner she's out, the sooner we can sell it); it also shows that we're being tough but fair. Sound good?

• Options
    Certainly sounds good, and fair. But you need to talk to a lawyer anyway.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    If her parents are friends of yours, talk to them. Burning a friendship over a few grand is dumb.

Get your back rent, let her out of the lease and sell.

• Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I am not a landlord OR a lawyer, but I think how it typically works is:

The tenant must pay the rent for every month until the unit is occupied. The tenant must find a new tenant who is acceptable to you. You can charge her until she gets a new tenant, but not after she gets a new tenant.

This varies by state, so check up on your local laws. Talking to a lawyer is a great idea.

Just based on human nature, you are unlikely to get 9 months of rent from someone who is behind on her bills who is no longer living on the property.

LadyM on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So long as she's paying rent, you will have a duty to give her notice if you are coming by to show the place to a prospective buyer of at least 24 hours. She will also be free to come and go as she pleases. If you want to sell the house, then you should really end the lease when you put the house on the market if she's no longer living there. However, as far as legal requirements go, you do not have to, so long as you continue to provide her with the responsibilities you have as her landlord.

EDIT: Also, you will have to give her notice once you do sell the house. The length of that notice can vary by location, but it's normally 30 days or 1 month.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    GrouchGrouch Registered User regular
    Unless you live somewhere that provides tenants no protection at all, you almost certainly cannot charge your tenant for nine month's rent if she isn't living there anymore. Where I live, landlords have an obligation to minimize their damages; they must try to find a new tenant as soon as possible. Tenants are also entitled to terminate a lease if a landlord refuses to assign the lease or sublet.

@LadyM is also right to point out that you likely won't be able to squeeze nine months of rent out of someone who has difficulty paying rent for three months, particularly if she has other debts to worry about as well. The amount of time and money you could spend chasing down that debt could well exceed the value of the debt itself.

• Options
    To say nothing of the potential damage to your friendship with her parents.

I think this falls into some sort of corollary to the "Don't get involved financially with friends or family" maxim.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yes, she is responsible for the contract. you could just ask for back rent owed and an early termination fee, but as long as no one suitable is found she owes rent during her lease

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Did you have a clause in the rental agreement for breaking the lease early?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I think around here at least most people write in a penalty for breaking contract, where breaking early basically means the tenant needs to pay three months' rent. That's meant to cover the amount of time it will take to rent or sell to someone else.

fake edit: what mts said, early termination fee. If you have one of those in there you should be covered at least till you can get rid of the place.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. That sounds like a good plan to me.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Yeah, IANAL and everything, but my recollection is that breaking a lease is actually pretty easy. I don't think you would ever get the full 9 months. Usually the contract has some stipulation for early termination, like you have to pay a $500 fee or something. Depending on how lenient a judge is you may or may not be able to collect that. Having watched my dad deal with civil court for a property he rents out, my advice would be to avoid it at all costs. Maybe my dad just comes off as a huge dick, but the judge almost always leans toward helping out the tenant, even if they are 100% in the wrong.

You wanted to sell the house anyway, and you are basically in exactly the same position now that you were in when the whole renters thing came up. I would ask for back rent (up until the point where she has vacated the house completely), plus an early termination fee (maybe something like 1 months rent). If they agree I would just move on as if the whole thing never happened.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    This is the kind of situation where you really need to know your local regulations. There may be statutory limits on penalties in your area, and if you do pursue the tenant via civil action (collections) you may be required to show actual economic damages, which might be fairly difficult considering your intent to sell. Subletting rules are likewise dependent on your locality and quite frankly it's your responsibility as a landlord to know things like this when you have the lease drawn up.

A mutual agreement with the tenant is likely to be the easiest solution for all parties given the ambiguity here (I am assuming the lease does not include a options for early termination.) The good news is that equivalent of two or three months' rent is not an unreasonable penalty for breaking a lease early; if that works for both sides you can just cut a deal and move on.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    finralfinral Registered User regular
    I'm going to look at this from a non-legal perspective. It sounds like you aren't in a position where the money is direly needed by you, and you have a young person who's probably made some poor financial decisions and is in a bad spot. It seems to me that if you let her pay the rent she owes you and move out, you'll be in the place you want to be anyway, ready to do whatever work you need and sell the house. Legal action is probably going to cost you lawyer fees, and place more burden on a person already facing hardship.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    though keep in mind, many states have laws for breaking leases that allow for no penalty. losing ones job, moving certain number of miles etc. it pays to know your tenant laws

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    You are not entitled to nine more months rent. You are probably not entitled to anything you may have put in the lease about this. What kind of notice and penalty the tenant is responsible varies by state and municipality and is often specified by law in exact detail. If you pursue this you absolutely must consult a local attorney. In some places the penalties for a landlord being overzealous about this are very harsh and you don’t want to get stuck with a massive fine.

supabeast on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Since no one else seems to have asked this and this arrangement seems to have been a bit informal (no co-signer and presumably no credit check on her to check her assets), I'm curious if you actually have a mutually signed and binding lease agreement.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'd be careful - in most places you're only entitled to rent payments until you can get a new tenant, and you absolutely have to make a good-faith effort to get a new tenant, which it doesn't sound like you really want to do since you'll be stuck in a lease again if you want to try to sell.

Also, you need to check your local laws regarding selling a house that has a tenant renting - they can also depend on the state, and depending on how much of a good relationship you have with the tenant that can also be a problem. I got into a situation like this - CA is actually very strict, you need 24 hours notice, they can't be overly burdensome / all the time, you really legally can't force the tenant to not be there, and they have to be during normal business hours - which my landlords didn't really want to follow (since open houses are more popular on weekends).

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    IANAL, and I know nothing of the specifics of landlord/tenant laws in your state, but in general, what other people are saying is correct: you can charge her for rent up to a certain limit, until you find another tenant. You must make a good-faith effort to find a new tenant. She cannot afford the rent anymore, and is offering you up another tenant who can afford the place in her place. Again, IANAL, but in that situation, I would think it would be difficult for you to show damages, doubly so if you reject her tenant in favor of trying to sell the place. In addition, she's pretty clearly broke, so even if you do get a judgment against her, it will be worth roughly the value of the paper it's written on; you're unlikely to ever be able to collect.

Add burning a friendship on top of that, and it's probably best to just suck it up, and walk away. It would be a good idea to review your local landlord/tenant laws, the lease you have with her, and possibly consult a lawyer (most lawyers will give you a free consultation).

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Grouch wrote: »
    Unless you live somewhere that provides tenants no protection at all, you almost certainly cannot charge your tenant for nine month's rent if she isn't living there anymore. Where I live, landlords have an obligation to minimize their damages; they must try to find a new tenant as soon as possible. Tenants are also entitled to terminate a lease if a landlord refuses to assign the lease or sublet.

@LadyM is also right to point out that you likely won't be able to squeeze nine months of rent out of someone who has difficulty paying rent for three months, particularly if she has other debts to worry about as well. The amount of time and money you could spend chasing down that debt could well exceed the value of the debt itself.

Yes, typically you must look for a new tenant, and, if she finds people who are willing to take possession of the place at her rent and you dont take them and dont list the place or try for a higher rent, then she can end up owing nothing. This will vary per location, but in general you cant just force them to pay whatever.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    IANAL, but the part about the renter having to pay rent while you legitimately look for another tenant sounds true (well for my area). However, if you want to sell, write the renter off as a "never do that again" and just move on.

Unless there's a magic clause in your tenancy agreement, there wouldn't be a magical sum of money you're entitled too, and from what you've described you'd be squeezing blood-from-a-stone for it anyway.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Okay, so I've also spoken with my aunt, who is a local real-estate agent and landlord, herself. I figured I'd contact her, since she's a lot more familiar with local tenancy laws than I am. She confirmed that my tenant is financially responsible for the remainder of the rent, as per the lease. She added, however, that I'll never see a dime of it; in 20 years of renting, she has never seen a single cent from a tenant in a situation like this. Her advice is pretty much the same that you guys gave: just drop it, and save yourself a lot of time and frustration.

Our tenant told me the other day she'd be out by the 15th of April, and I originally said that was okay. But I messaged her today and told her I need her out by the 1st of April. She still owes us half of the rent for March, so that tells me I'm not going to see a partial payment for half of April, either, and I can't allow her to stay in that property without paying. I appreciate that she has other bills, but I have other bills too, and I can't allow her to stay in that property without payment.

TLDR: Vacate by the 1st of April, and we'll wash our hands of everything else.

Fair?

milk ducks on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    I would check on local area laws regarding evictions, because usually you need to give the tenant quite a bit of notice.

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    TLDR: Vacate by the 1st of April, and we'll wash our hands of everything else.

Fair?

Fair? Maybe. Legal? Maybe not. You really need to find out what the law actually is before you do things like sending what might constitute an eviction notice via a platform that makes it hard for you to deny doing it.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Your local law is hugely important. It may be totally different from the laws I've experienced.

That said, usually the law is protective of certain renter's rights, specifically keeping them from having to pay you for excessive months, and keeping you from being able to just throw them out. Now, if they agree to your deal because they also want to avoid some problems, maybe it'll work.

That said, usually you have to give at least 30 days notice to evict someone. Additionally, you can usually collect rent on a lease for all remaining rents owed until you can find a replacement tenant (and you have to be looking in good faith), OR a lease can be terminated (often at the cost of 1-3 months rent). I don't think your aunt is right that you're entitled to 9 months rent, I've never heard of a locality with laws like that.

The fact that you don't want a replacement tenant hurts you, because it really puts you at odds with all the renting laws I'm familiar with.

If you can come to a deal with her parents where they'll cut you a check on the spot and she's not pissed, take that deal. Otherwise, you may want to be careful to follow the local laws.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    LadyM wrote: »
    I would check on local area laws regarding evictions, because usually you need to give the tenant quite a bit of notice.

It's not an eviction, though. In exchange for her deadbeat as being out by 4/1, he's letting her out of the lease.
    That said, she's only a half a month behind?
    Take it out of the security. Even stevens.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    LadyM wrote: »

It's not an eviction, though. In exchange for her deadbeat as being out by 4/1, he's letting her out of the lease.
    That said, she's only a half a month behind?
    Take it out of the security. Even stevens.

There's a whole heap of rules around security deposits, don't even mess here without research.

• Options
    Yeah, so she seems cool with the deal. I explained it to her in a way that makes it sound like she's getting a deal (and really, she is). She wanted out by the 15th, but I'm willing to just walk away from the lease if she's cool with being out by the 1st. This also saves her the cost of paying me another half-month's rent, since she won't be staying until mid-April like she planned. She says her parents will write me a check to cover what she owes for this month.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Yeah, so she seems cool with the deal. I explained it to her in a way that makes it sound like she's getting a deal (and really, she is). She wanted out by the 15th, but I'm willing to just walk away from the lease if she's cool with being out by the 1st. This also saves her the cost of paying me another half-month's rent, since she won't be staying until mid-April like she planned. She says her parents will write me a check to cover what she owes for this month.

It couldn't hurt to write all that up and have you, her, and her parents (as witness) sign it. Just...to cover your ass, should an extremely, extremely unlikely scenario arise.

Tox on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular

That's good, then. For future reference, always include a provision for early termination of the lease with an explicitly stated penalty. Make sure this penalty is large enough to discourage people from breaking the lease but small enough that it's cheaper to pay you than it is to pay a lawyer to fight it.

When I was renting, the penalty was a full month's rent, which coincidentally was what was collected as the security deposit so he could keep it if I bailed on him.

As far as this goes, I think you are doing a good job recognizing the balance between what's fair and what's feasible.

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »

That's good, then. For future reference, always include a provision for early termination of the lease with an explicitly stated penalty. Make sure this penalty is large enough to discourage people from breaking the lease but small enough that it's cheaper to pay you than it is to pay a lawyer to fight it.

When I was renting, the penalty was a full month's rent, which coincidentally was what was collected as the security deposit so he could keep it if I bailed on him.

As far as this goes, I think you are doing a good job recognizing the balance between what's fair and what's feasible.

Again varies location to location. In my province, your only legally allowed to keep half of the first month's rent for a deposit AND if rent goes up, you can't ask for more.

milk, it really looks like you're getting a good deal with the parents getting to float some costs to help the kid. I'd cut your loses and get whatever you can.

In the future, maybe base a lease off something like this (pdf) Its a template with fill in the blanks for the details as well as clean rules for the little details (late rent, inspections, repairs, etc). It's better to get this all in the open between the two of you cuz if there is a problem, it's your home.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Keep in mind, you can keep part of the security deposit to make up the missing rent.

However, you need to be offering the tenant the right to find a replacement if you're going to charge them termination fees for breaking the lease. At least, in my experience in a few counties. You should get with a lawyer if this is a thing for you, and you really want those few grand. Chances are you're going to have to keep leasing it, so like others have said, it's probably best if you just let her out, keep whatever you can of the security deposit, then sell the place.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    regardless if you would actually win the case (you might win a little, but probably not enough for it to be worth it) i doubt very much you'd be able to collect. Civil court when it comes to non-payment is pretty much a waste of time.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    ^ This guy knows what he's talking about.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Keep in mind, you can keep part of the security deposit to make up the missing rent.

True in most but not all states.

This discussion has been closed.