As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I become a Mars astronaut?

H/A seems like it would be ill-equipped to deal with this thread, yet the topic is more relevant then ever. With Dennis Tito announcing he wants to fund/sponsor a Mars orbit mission (to be clear, you goto mars, you swing around it once and then head on back to Earth - probably all powered by Space-X technology), and Elon Musk + NASA all thinking about manned Mars missions, this question seems more poignant then ever.

My sociologically conditioned response is to laugh about it and find the nearest joke I can. The much more serious response, the one which tends to wonder about my mortality, says "can you think of a good reason why not?"

I'm in approximately the right age-bracket, but have no kids. I have some sort of science degree, not that it really matters and some military experience - not that it matters again, at least as far as the psychology of space travel goes. And so, with all these proposed possible manned Mars missions - some with return options (the orbit) and some without (if you land), the whole sort of question has felt oddly real to me lately.

To me, this type of question is the type of thing you'd read in a book. The book version is always yes, the real version you suspect runs screaming in terror from the prospect. So, in light of the current Penny Arcade vis-a-vis marijuana, I find myself pondering it because for the first time in my life it's not just my imagination about the prospect. If I submitted an application (however that may be done, honestly I've been looking) to be the first human being to orbit Mars, then while there's a thousand reasons why they might say no, there's that absurd and thus (from my perspective) likely chance that somehow, they would say Yes.

So, this is my question to you, denizens of PA forums: should I try and be a Mars astronaught, and would you? And more generally, given the topic area, what do you feel about the people who would think and attempt this?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Well

Those first few years/decades on Mars are going to be hellishly tedious. More prison sentence than exploration. Best case scenario you're in a room that looks just like the one you're in now, only without the freedom to go wander outside whenever you feel like.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Even if you tried and failed, depending how far you got I'm guessing the experience that you gained from the attempt would be invaluable if the missions were a success. Basically being on the rocket doesn't necessarily define your failure here. There would be opportunities to become familiar with or even help create technologies that would probably help drive our development for decades.

So try? Yes!

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    We are a pretty long way off from a mission that will land on Mars. Basically, the mission he is talking about is being a human Geiger counter/guinea pig. It's sort of neat, and like there will be other science, but it isn't very attractive to me.

Honestly, I sort of used to think I would be able to deal with being stuck in a tiny space with another couple people for something close to a year. Even longer for a landing mission. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to.

I question how useful the Dennis Tito thing is. If there is any real reason, other than messaging, to even have humans doing it. I don't know... like, it will be pretty dangerous and I want to say send a monkey, but... that's just a really long time to have something strapped into a chair, with all sorts of feeding tubes, and no supervision. Aside from being terrible, the monkey probably wouldn't survive for all sorts of reason unrelated to space travel.

I wouldn't really discourage someone who wanted to do this, so long as they knew themselves and the risks.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    People have issues when locked into a small space for that long.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    The return trip option I would gladly do though I am clearly unqualified (still in uni and I believe they wanted a stable couple).

The one way trip is I think foolish. Yes I am sure there are many people out there who claim that they would do it in a heart beat but I would like to think that even the most passionate proponents of space exploration would realize that a one way trip is an empty victory. And I'd imagine the passion wouldn't last very long as you sit on a deserted planet waiting for the supplies to run out.

So to return to the orbit option.
    It is a very attractive option for all wannabe astronauts, no doubt, but I do question why they went public with the offer. Surely candidates for this kind of mission can't be hard to find for those already involved in the industry? Are they really going to select some previously unknown applicants over some who has already built a name for themselves within some space related field?

Sparvy on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Should you try? Yeah, sure. I mean, like you said, trying means there a one in a million chance you'll get picked, and even if you're selected if you have second thoughts you can always back out. So what's lost from trying?

Would I do it? Probably not. I feel there's tons to see and do on Earth, from grand historical sites visited by generations for millenia to hidden gems in small remote communities that few have ever seen, and I want to experience those. Mars has less to offer for me, not more. And I do want to meet that perfect girl and have a family someday, and as hard as I think it is to meet women in my small home town I can't imagine it'll be easier on Mars. I do see the attraction in going to Mars, and especially in being among the first humans to go to Mars. I'm not immune to it. But it's the one-way trip part of it that really turns me off. I wouldn't say "no" to walking on Mars; I would say "no" to never walking on Earth again.

But I'm not you. So whether or not I would do it should have no influence on whether you would do it.

How do I feel about people who want to do it? I respect them. They are willing to accept a trade-off that I am not. That doesn't make me think any more or less of them, it just means that they have different priorities and interests which makes them value the two things in the trade-off differently from me. I know for a fact I'll be following the news of their expedition very closely, and that every time I'll see a picture of the colony there'll be a part of me wishing I was there.

And I know this next advice will sound corny, but it's true so I'll give it anyway: if you in any way want to go but you don't at least try, you'll regret it for the rest of your life. Would you tell your grandkids the story of how you wanted to be among the first humans to go to Mars, tried to get in but got rejected, or would you rather tell them how you wanted to be among the first humans to go to Mars but never bothered trying, sat back and let the opportunity slip by?

sig.gif
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    If I had a science degree, I would sign-up in a heartbeat.

There's always that reality show one where you don't come back, probably. Says they'll train you in all the areas (engineering, crop tending, etc etc) even if you don't have a degree.

I'm not sure my fiancee would be down, sadly. I've joked with her about it and gotten mixed responses. :P

Seriously, I've always felt like I was born in the wrong time period, too late to explore the Earth (aside from the ocean, which I'm not really into) and too early to explore space. It's a bit of a bummer. I would be an explorer. I know it in my bones.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Do it. It would be awesome. :)

Then I can tell my grandkids, "Oh yeah, I remember when ELM orbited Mars. We used to hang out on this thing called an 'internet forum'. Heck, I was the one that told him to do it. Too bad he crashed facefirst into Deimos on the way back."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I wonder if they'd figure out a way for ELM to post from Mars on the forums and use the Internet. To alleviate boredom in the off hours.

But then we'd end up with a million throwaway accounts from people coming to talk to him.

I say do it; if for no other reason then to aid in the pursuit of allowing those of us who dream of the stars to see dreams like this become real, and to see Mars become closer to a place our children can one day reach, explore and colonize.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    don't forget to renew your SAG card and list your extensive experience working in digital productions from green screens to full on CGI

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I wonder if they'd figure out a way for ELM to post from Mars on the forums and use the Internet. To alleviate boredom in the off hours.

But then we'd end up with a million throwaway accounts from people coming to talk to him.

Ehh... not that some sort of communication wouldn't be possible, but TCP sort of breaks down when it takes 10 minutes to preform a 3 way handshake. Like, limited bandwidth and minutes of latency really sort of makes the internet as we know it more or less not work good. You're kinda limited to asynchronous connectionless tweet-like/email-ish stuff would probably be about the best you could do.

redx on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It looks like they are upgrading/upgraded the Rovers so now they have 32 kilobyte per second internet upload.

So it is totally doable, but A) I dunno the download bandwidth and B) even ignoring latency, he'll have to run with no pictures for it to be worth it.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Best case scenario you're in a room that looks just like the one you're in now, only without the freedom to go wander outside whenever you feel like.

Meh.

In my experience overrated.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    If you're into that kind of thing.

What I want? Lock myself away from all the scary outside-things.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    So maybe this is going to seem like a weird response, but if the question is "If I was qualified to go on a mission to Mars and back, would I?" my answer is going to be "Yes", but with the addendum that "because that's the type of person that I am."

I don't know how to describe this that well. I just started reading Packing for Mars this morning (Mary Roach's book about space travel), and the first chapter talks about the selection process potential astronauts go through and the type of personality that space agencies look for in astronauts. One astronaut talks about how he was taking a personality test to see if he had any psychological issues/if he was the right fit, and the question "What do you want on your tombstone?" came up. He responded, "A devoted husband and loving father" (or vice versa), but then told Roach something like, "That was a lie. I would have sold my wife and kids into slavery to go into space."

What I guess I'm saying is that if I was the type of person who was capable of going on a long-term space mission (the physical ability, scientific skill, and just general mindset), my thinking would be such that I wouldn't be able to turn the challenge down.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Have they figured out a way to shield astronauts from the horrible, testicle-shredding radiation in transit and on planet? Because if not, I'd say no.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I have an irrational fear of something going wrong and being shot off into space, dying a slow, lonely death, so my answer would be no.

But hey, that's me.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I wouldn't buy the first generation of my phone. I sure as hell am not signing up for the alpha build of the first Mars colony.

Croatoan.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So, this is my question to you, denizens of PA forums: should I try and be a Mars astronaught, and would you? And more generally, given the topic area, what do you feel about the people who would think and attempt this?

You ask if you should try to be a Mars astronaut. The answer to your question depends on the nature of your "should". Here are just a few things that "should" could mean:

Duty (moral)
    Duty (legal)
    Propriety (religion)
    Propriety (culture)
    Expediency (economical)
    Expediency (career)
    Expediency (historical impact)
    Obligation (legal)
    Obligation (to species)
    Obligation (to society)
    Obligation (to family)
    Obligation (to self)

Each of those understandings of "should" utilize a difference sense of requirement, a different notion of obligation. Each nuanced understanding would involve its own standard of reasoning and its own set of considerable criteria.

At first, it seems that morality may not be an issue. However, you mention that you are childless, have a science degree, and some military experience. Perhaps that indicates that you have a stronger moral duty to apply than someone who has children, no science degree, no military training, etc., since you are more likely to be successful, and your success could result in furthering the welfare of our species by offering us a new planet upon which to dwell.

Your final question asked about "what do you feel about the people who would think and attempt this". That seems to suggest that you're concerned with the cultural impact of going to Mars. Perhaps the hero remembrance, or social status that would go along with such a venture. If you want your name to be on a commemorative plaque somewhere, that would be a very different sense of "should" than one of moral considerations, or religious duty. Going to Mars could be a better means of acquiring a place in history than, say, teaching science at a community college.

I do not know if you should do this, since I do not know your moral considerations, your sense of obligation / duty, what motivates you to consider it in the first place, your goals / dreams, etc.

As to whether or not I would do it...well...that depends on the requirements.

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    I mean sure, you aren't coming back, but you might not be alone for that long.

If the funders don't get distracted/run out of money/fired and replaced, it ought to only be ... 15->40 years before there are easily three or four new people up there with you. There could be a few thousand kilometres of airless freezing desert between you and them, but you'll have fresh faces.

Joking aside, the first people to live and die on another world will probably be famous forever. In four hundred years there'll be school kids on Mars who get the day off for ELMday.
    It's just that you're consigning yourself to a short and hellish life in the interim, and fame's no good if you never get to enjoy it.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

I recommend you take a book or two. Perhaps a video game.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't do it without a means of getting of the rock once on it. Some people are talking about a one way trip and that sounds like a definite "no" to me. Fuck that shit.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Best case scenario you're in a room that looks just like the one you're in now, only without the freedom to go wander outside whenever you feel like.

Meh.

Imagine every post you make here taking 18 minutes to show up. And then another 18 minutes before you can see responses.

A Mars mission is like pre-Vanilla forums.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I thought Russia was conducting an experiment to see how people reacted under the stress of confined environments and small social groups. It should have finished by now too.

Oh wait, it has! Here you go:

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/five-hundred-days-of-solitude-russia-ends-mars-experiment/article2597240.ece

and another link:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/04/us-mars-isolation-odd-idUSTRE7A349220111104

It sounds like they had a horrible time.

The Reuter's article briefly tells of an earlier aborted experiment, which ended after a fistfight and one crewmember trying to forcibly kiss a female crewmate. I wouldn't go, I go nuts without enough social stimulation as it is.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »

In all seriousness, I wouldn't do it without a means of getting of the rock once on it. Some people are talking about a one way trip and that sounds like a definite "no" to me. Fuck that shit.

In discussions such as these I'm often curious about what people like so damn much about Earth that they are unwilling to sacrifice it for the sake of a Mars adventure.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

In discussions such as these I'm often curious about what people like so damn much about Earth that they are unwilling to sacrifice it for the sake of a Mars adventure.

Lock yourself in a box for 8 months with not much to do, then when you exit the box you're in the middle of the Sahara, and if you take your helmet off you die. That's not an adventure, that's a sentence.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Holy shit that youtube preview changed when I refreshed.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    The Tito mission is honestly hilarious in how pointless it is. And how uselessly dangerous it is. There's absolutely no reason to do a manned loop. You can simulate absolutely every condition right here on Earth (aside from the microgravity) that astronauts would experience on a trip, and if microgravity endurance was your goal you can do that just orbiting the Earth for a year and a half. We already know we can get ships to Mars, there's nothing to be learned from going out and making a U-turn. It has no scientific value at this point that couldn't be achieved from safer, cheaper alternatives. It's purely for show.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular

Personally, I'm pretty keen on breathing.

That and the ping time from Mars would be horrendous.

• Options

Meh.

Imagine every post you make here taking 18 minutes to show up. And then another 18 minutes before you can see responses.

Ahem.

Submarines.

• Options
    The Tito mission is honestly hilarious in how pointless it is. And how uselessly dangerous it is. There's absolutely no reason to do a manned loop. You can simulate absolutely every condition right here on Earth (aside from the microgravity) that astronauts would experience on a trip, and if microgravity endurance was your goal you can do that just orbiting the Earth for a year and a half. We already know we can get ships to Mars, there's nothing to be learned from going out and making a U-turn. It has no scientific value at this point that couldn't be achieved from safer, cheaper alternatives. It's purely for show.

This is a problem with the overly-reductive thinking that results from some concepts of science.

It is not the case that one can simulate *every* condition of the Mars trip on Earth. For one thing, the subjects would know they are still on Earth, so they never genuinely engage with the mentality of actually being actually on the way to Mars, actually estranged from their species to that degree.

Now, you may say that mentality is irrelevant, and we can simulate all the relevant factors of the trip to Mars, but then you're doing the overly-reductive thing, again.

• Options
    edited March 2013

Being around other people and a far lower risk of dieing horrible are probably are probably pretty high on the list. As is being able to eat a variety of food, walk more than 10 feet, obtain new items are probably high on the list too.

Like, there is that whole hirarchy of needs thing, and being on a long term space mission endangers every single one of them. That is generally a thing humans don't want.

redx on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

Meh.

Ahem.

Submarines.

Submarines without shore leave and hookers

• Options
    Don't sleep with hookers and hated most of the places I ever pulled in to.

• Options
    Peccavi wrote: »

Meh.

Ahem.

Submarines.

Submarines without shore leave and hookers

in spaaaaace

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Don't sleep with hookers and hated most of the places I ever pulled in to.

Submarines that park at the bottom of the sea and leave you to rot there for the remainder of your artificially truncated life.

• Options

This is a problem with the overly-reductive thinking that results from some concepts of science.

It is not the case that one can simulate *every* condition of the Mars trip on Earth. For one thing, the subjects would know they are still on Earth, so they never genuinely engage with the mentality of actually being actually on the way to Mars, actually estranged from their species to that degree.

Now, you may say that mentality is irrelevant, and we can simulate all the relevant factors of the trip to Mars, but then you're doing the overly-reductive thing, again.

If people aren't able to maintain an acceptable level of sanity and civility when they're simply sitting in a container on Earth, knowing they'll survive, what makes you think they will a hundred million miles into space?

We also still don't have a legitimate reason to actually send a manned mission to mars. People will say "to set up a colony." But why? Science experiments? We have robots that can do that, increasingly well, and for much cheaper. You don't have to send four tons of food along with a robot. If the robot landing vehicle crashes into the surface at mach 7, they just start building another one.

Sending manned missions places is antiquated. They're pointless, unless we have the technology to establish a successful, sustainable colony somewhere that would actually serve a purpose besides "hey look where we managed to put people."

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    When did having not having a legitimate reason ever stop mankind from doing something stupid and/or awesome?

I'd go to Mars for the simple fact that I could end every argument with " Yeah well fuck you, I've been to Mars "

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    When did having not having a legitimate reason stop mankind from doing something stupid and/or awesome?

I'd go to Mars for the simple fact that I could end every argument with " Yeah well fuck you, I've been to Mars "

And I'm sure they'd receive that transmission 30 minutes after your oxygen ran out.

nibXTE7.png