As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft...in 3D!

CrazyfoolCrazyfool Registered User
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok, I lied...it's not starcraft 2, but it IS starcraft 3D. Screens:

shotty3.jpg

Number10dks.png

autoscreenshot12.png

ss_final_137.jpg


It's essentially a mod that uses elements from both Warcraft 3 and Starcraft to make a 3d Starcraft experience. I don't really know much else about it, except they claim to be able to play over Battle.net, and the mod has been in development FOREVER. However, they seem to update their http://www.wc3campaigns.net/revolution/index.php fairly frequently, so as far as I know it will eventually come out.

Personally, it can't come soon enough. I was super psyched when I initially discovered it, and after nearly a year I'm becoming somewhat discouraged. I stay away from the forums, as they seem to be filled with overly critical, whining, impatient, and otherwise "douche-y" people. So, is anyone else following this mod? Maybe someone knows something I don't. As of right now I'm awaiting its arrival with cautious optomism. It could either be scrapped by blizzard, completely suck, or just never be released for all I know. I hope it comes, and soon--and I hope it's as good as it could be

Floyd86.png
Crazyfool on
«1

Posts

  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Change the thread title.

    You will save a lot of injury (on others' part).

    Iriah on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited March 2007
    This mostly looks the same as the original, and the things that don't just look weird.

    Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Iriah wrote: »
    Change the thread title.

    You will save a lot of injury (on others' part).

    Thread did not deliver. Though I didn't really expect it to.

    Suriko on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    Iriah wrote: »
    Change the thread title.

    You will save a lot of injury (on others' part).

    Thread did not deliver. Though I didn't really expect it to.

    On a related note, I hate and loathe you now.

    subedii on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nice way of whoring a mod with a blatant lie of a thread title.

    Asshole..

    Silpheed on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Supposedly hardcore Korean SC gamers got some special invites to a huge upcoming blizzard event.

    SC2 to be announced very soon.

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    looks like the original game with less dithering

    FyreWulff on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Supposedly hardcore Korean SC gamers got some special invites to a huge upcoming blizzard event.

    SC2 to be announced very soon.

    Which is why I jumped straight into this thread as soon as I saw the title.

    Git. :(

    subedii on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Supposedly hardcore Korean SC gamers got some special invites to a huge upcoming blizzard event.

    SC2 to be announced very soon.

    That was something they talked about very briefly on the last 1up Yours podcast.

    Blizzard event, in Korea, game-to-be revealed. Hmm . . .

    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Supposedly hardcore Korean SC gamers got some special invites to a huge upcoming blizzard event.

    SC2 to be announced very soon.

    That was something they talked about very briefly on the last 1up Yours podcast.

    Blizzard event, in Korea, game-to-be revealed. Hmm . . .

    Exactly where I got it from.

    8-)

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrazyfoolCrazyfool Registered User
    edited March 2007
    =X

    I didn't mean to get people's hopes up.....though now that I think about it from an outside perspective, I'd hate me too (dear sweet jesus mother of God blizzard, I WANT STARCRAFT 2)

    Anyways...how do I edit the thread title?
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Nice way of whoring a mod with a blatant lie of a thread title.

    Asshole..

    I'm not site whoring. I'm in no way shape or forme even remotely affiliated with these guys. The mod has just piqued my interest for a long time, and I wanted to know what other people thought about it.

    Crazyfool on
    Floyd86.png
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Iriah wrote: »
    Change the thread title.

    You will save a lot of injury (on others' part).

    Thread did not deliver. Though I didn't really expect it to.

    On a related note, I hate and loathe you now.

    Dot dot dot.

    Suriko on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Press edit and then edit again.

    Edit: Hi5 Dublo

    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • CrazyfoolCrazyfool Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Changed.

    Now less hating and more discussing.

    I'm personally interested in seeing what the engine is going to be like. Straight Starcraft, or Starcraft with a WC3 flavor? I'm hoping for the former.

    Crazyfool on
    Floyd86.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Supposedly hardcore Korean SC gamers got some special invites to a huge upcoming blizzard event.

    SC2 to be announced very soon.

    That was something they talked about very briefly on the last 1up Yours podcast.

    Blizzard event, in Korea, game-to-be revealed. Hmm . . .

    Exactly where I got it from.

    8-)

    Well since I don't want to abandon talk of SC2 completely, is there any other information regarding this event? It does look extremely hopeful for SC2. Personally, I'm not so much interested in the game itself (although I'm sure the gameplay will rock) as finding out what happens next in the SC universe.

    I hope they don't expand the number of races though. Or at the very least keep them balanced.

    subedii on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Starcraft is probably the only real balanced RTS I've ever played.
    I hope they don't fuck up the balancing like they did with Warcraft 3.

    I also hope that my PC can run it. It will be the first PC game I've bought in a long time.


    zegrushcf1us9.jpg

    Aaah, fuck. That picture makes me so happy.

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrazyfoolCrazyfool Registered User
    edited March 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Supposedly hardcore Korean SC gamers got some special invites to a huge upcoming blizzard event.

    SC2 to be announced very soon.

    That was something they talked about very briefly on the last 1up Yours podcast.

    Blizzard event, in Korea, game-to-be revealed. Hmm . . .

    Exactly where I got it from.

    8-)

    Well since I don't want to abandon talk of SC2 completely, is there any other information regarding this event? It does look extremely hopeful for SC2. Personally, I'm not so much interested in the game itself (although I'm sure the gameplay will rock) as finding out what happens next in the SC universe.

    I hope they don't expand the number of races though. Or at the very least keep them balanced.

    I just hope they haven't gotten money hungry from the insane success of WoW and announce a World of Starcraft MMORPG. Because while I would buy it instantly, I would like a true sequel to starcraft 100000x more.

    Crazyfool on
    Floyd86.png
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Crazyfool wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Supposedly hardcore Korean SC gamers got some special invites to a huge upcoming blizzard event.

    SC2 to be announced very soon.

    That was something they talked about very briefly on the last 1up Yours podcast.

    Blizzard event, in Korea, game-to-be revealed. Hmm . . .

    Exactly where I got it from.

    8-)

    Well since I don't want to abandon talk of SC2 completely, is there any other information regarding this event? It does look extremely hopeful for SC2. Personally, I'm not so much interested in the game itself (although I'm sure the gameplay will rock) as finding out what happens next in the SC universe.

    I hope they don't expand the number of races though. Or at the very least keep them balanced.

    I just hope they haven't gotten money hungry from the insane success of WoW and announce a World of Starcraft MMORPG. Because while I would buy it instantly, I would like a true sequel to starcraft 100000x more.
    IMO it's fairly likely, moreso than many give it credit (ie some saying "BLIZ WOULD NEVAR DO THAT *ANGER*"). Blizzard is a business, and they'd make far more from 10,000,000 people paying $200 a year than 10,000,000 people paying $60 once.

    Iriah on
  • CrazyfoolCrazyfool Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Iriah wrote: »
    IMO it's fairly likely, moreso than many give it credit (ie some saying "BLIZ WOULD NEVAR DO THAT *ANGER*"). Blizzard is a business, and they'd make far more from 10,000,000 people paying $200 a year than 10,000,000 people paying $60 once.


    I would cry, and die a little inside. Then I'd reserve a copy

    Crazyfool on
    Floyd86.png
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak Registered User
    edited March 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    looks like the original game with less dithering

    exactly

    Alfred J. Kwak on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Crazyfool wrote: »
    Iriah wrote: »
    IMO it's fairly likely, moreso than many give it credit (ie some saying "BLIZ WOULD NEVAR DO THAT *ANGER*"). Blizzard is a business, and they'd make far more from 10,000,000 people paying $200 a year than 10,000,000 people paying $60 once.


    I would cry, and die a little inside. Then I'd reserve a copy

    As much as this makes me sound like a crotchety old man, I'm still nursing a grudge with Blizzard over WoW. It's petty, but the fact I'm not playing it makes me dislike Blizzard, because I wish I was but I cannot play that... game... any more. *makes the sign of the cross*

    Even if it means I will miss out on a potentially good product, at this stage I would not give Blizzard another dollar.

    devoir on
  • JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Starcraft is probably the only real balanced RTS I've ever played.
    I hope they don't fuck up the balancing like they did with Warcraft 3.

    I also hope that my PC can run it. It will be the first PC game I've bought in a long time.


    zegrushcf1us9.jpg

    Aaah, fuck. That picture makes me so happy.


    That picture is outstanding!

    Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've heard around the place that apparently if your PC can play WoW, it should be able to handle SC2.
    The way I figure is, if Blizzard set the game up with insane spec requirements, fuck all people will play the game.
    They want to keep it accessible. Another good reason why I love Blizzard.

    I want SC2 so badly...

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GertBeefGertBeef Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    I've heard around the place that apparently if your PC can play WoW, it should be able to handle SC2.
    The way I figure is, if Blizzard set the game up with insane spec requirements, fuck all people will play the game.
    They want to keep it accessible. Another good reason why I love Blizzard.

    I want SC2 so badly...

    This is probably true. Starcraft was designed to run on older hardware, 640x480 VGA graphics wasn't exactly pushing it when SC came out.

    ... Maybe SC2 will be 2D... Nah.

    This mod needs to be releaised BTW.

    GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Heh. Basing any idea on the logic that "Blizzard would never do that to it's fans" is truly a sad thing. A very sad thing indeed.

    If YOU had a personal choice over a guaranteed billion or million, which would you choose?

    Simjanes2k on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Blizzard will make more money on a game with lower spec requirements. I would bet my life on it.

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Simjanes2k wrote: »
    Heh. Basing any idea on the logic that "Blizzard would never do that to it's fans" is truly a sad thing. A very sad thing indeed.

    If YOU had a personal choice over a guaranteed billion or million, which would you choose?

    God, for the last time, if they made a Starcraft MMO, only a tiny fraction of people would keep playing WoW AND play the new one too. Most of their fanbase would either stay on WoW or move on to WoS and stop paying for WoW. The amount of additional money they'd make would be pathetically insignificant, and wouldn't cover the costs of maintaining and updating two MMOs at once. As long as WoW is the most popular thing in the universe (as it is now), they're not gonna make a new MMO.

    I mean, hotcakes wish they sold as well as WoW.

    SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User
    edited March 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    Simjanes2k wrote: »
    Heh. Basing any idea on the logic that "Blizzard would never do that to it's fans" is truly a sad thing. A very sad thing indeed.

    If YOU had a personal choice over a guaranteed billion or million, which would you choose?

    God, for the last time, if they made a Starcraft MMO, only a tiny fraction of people would keep playing WoW AND play the new one too. Most of their fanbase would either stay on WoW or move on to WoS and stop paying for WoW. The amount of additional money they'd make would be pathetically insignificant, and wouldn't cover the costs of maintaining and updating two MMOs at once. As long as WoW is the most popular thing in the universe (as it is now), they're not gonna make a new MMO.

    I mean, hotcakes wish they sold as well as WoW.

    I disagree. I think it's perfectly plausible to think that everyone who was able to get their hands on a few hundred bucks for the game (and a few months playing) itself plus has access to a thousand dollar PC will be willing to raise their monthly payments from $15 to $30.

    Actually, I'd put real money on SC MMO and WoW being #1 and #2 on the charts for subscription games if they went through with it.

    Never ever EVER doubt the buying power of gamers and the latest craze. Or Blizzard's ability to make literally surreal amounts of money.

    Simjanes2k on
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Simjanes2k wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Simjanes2k wrote: »
    Heh. Basing any idea on the logic that "Blizzard would never do that to it's fans" is truly a sad thing. A very sad thing indeed.

    If YOU had a personal choice over a guaranteed billion or million, which would you choose?

    God, for the last time, if they made a Starcraft MMO, only a tiny fraction of people would keep playing WoW AND play the new one too. Most of their fanbase would either stay on WoW or move on to WoS and stop paying for WoW. The amount of additional money they'd make would be pathetically insignificant, and wouldn't cover the costs of maintaining and updating two MMOs at once. As long as WoW is the most popular thing in the universe (as it is now), they're not gonna make a new MMO.

    I mean, hotcakes wish they sold as well as WoW.

    I disagree. I think it's perfectly plausible to think that everyone who was able to get their hands on a few hundred bucks for the game (and a few months playing) itself plus has access to a thousand dollar PC will be willing to raise their monthly payments from $15 to $30.

    Actually, I'd put real money on SC MMO and WoW being #1 and #2 on the charts for subscription games if they went through with it.

    Never ever EVER doubt the buying power of gamers and the latest craze. Or Blizzard's ability to make literally surreal amounts of money.

    It's not the buying power that's an issue. It's the gaming time. Most people can't dedicate themselves to consistently playing two MMOs (of course, there is a fringe that can, but that's a tiny minority).

    SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If they can get even a fraction of the player bases to overlap it would be mad money.

    Hoz on
  • edited March 2007
    GertBeef wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    I've heard around the place that apparently if your PC can play WoW, it should be able to handle SC2.
    The way I figure is, if Blizzard set the game up with insane spec requirements, fuck all people will play the game.
    They want to keep it accessible. Another good reason why I love Blizzard.

    I want SC2 so badly...

    This is probably true. Starcraft was designed to run on older hardware, 640x480 VGA graphics wasn't exactly pushing it when SC came out.

    ... Maybe SC2 will be 2D... Nah.

    This mod needs to be releaised BTW.

    blizzard always aims for the lowest common denominator for hardware

    the games look great because of astonishing work by their artists, not because of pixel-shaders

    bongi on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    GertBeef wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    I've heard around the place that apparently if your PC can play WoW, it should be able to handle SC2.
    The way I figure is, if Blizzard set the game up with insane spec requirements, fuck all people will play the game.
    They want to keep it accessible. Another good reason why I love Blizzard.

    I want SC2 so badly...

    This is probably true. Starcraft was designed to run on older hardware, 640x480 VGA graphics wasn't exactly pushing it when SC came out.

    ... Maybe SC2 will be 2D... Nah.

    This mod needs to be releaised BTW.

    blizzard always aims for the lowest common denominator for hardware

    the games look great because of astonishing work by their artists, not because of pixel-shaders

    True that.

    Look at the models in WC3. So simple, yet it's the texturing that makes them look great.
    I can't imagine how gorgeous they will make SC2 look.

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    One good thing about this mod (oh shit, on topic) is that it'll allow me to play the game on my LCD without feeling sick. 640x480 on a 1600x1200 native monitor looks horrible.

    Glal on
  • MittenMitten Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    GertBeef wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    I've heard around the place that apparently if your PC can play WoW, it should be able to handle SC2.
    The way I figure is, if Blizzard set the game up with insane spec requirements, fuck all people will play the game.
    They want to keep it accessible. Another good reason why I love Blizzard.

    I want SC2 so badly...

    This is probably true. Starcraft was designed to run on older hardware, 640x480 VGA graphics wasn't exactly pushing it when SC came out.

    ... Maybe SC2 will be 2D... Nah.

    This mod needs to be releaised BTW.

    blizzard always aims for the lowest common denominator for hardware

    the games look great because of astonishing work by their artists, not because of pixel-shaders

    True that.

    Look at the models in WC3. So simple, yet it's the texturing that makes them look great.
    I can't imagine how gorgeous they will make SC2 look.
    I actually hated WC3's graphics, and thought the artistic direction was really hampered by the limitations they set for themselves. However I would agree that SC and WoW both look beautiful. That they managed to do so much with so little makes it all the more amazing.

    Honestly, I do sort of hope that SC2 is in 2D.

    Mitten on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If anyone could pull off a modern day 2D RTS, it would be Blizzard. They'd have some crazy shit up their sleeves.

    But nah, it won't happen.

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eobeteobet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I loathe 3D for the sake of 3D, so I have to ask: why?

    eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • edited March 2007
    because you're stuck ten years in the past when there was such thing as 3d for the sake of 3d?

    bongi on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A mod that makes starcraft look worse, yay.

    No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    because you're stuck ten years in the past when there was such thing as 3d for the sake of 3d?

    Well, technically, unless you have actual 3D movement, 3D is pretty superfluous. WC3 would've worked just as well in 2D, because verticality doesn't affect the gameplay in any way.

    SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Some of it looks good, some of it needs work. If it can play even remotely like the source material then I'll be very impressed.

    Talith on
    9e0txHT.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.