As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dropped Laptop While Off; How To Tell If It's Okay

EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair.Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
Alright, so my laptop managed to fall off the edge of my bed onto the wood panel floor in the middle of the night last night. As stated in the title, it was completely off when this happened (blissfully). There's no visible damage to the body of the laptop, it boots, sounds normal, and seems to be functioning completely normally (haven't tried gaming on it yet since it's the middle of the night during finals but I did watch an HD Youtube video to check a little bit). I did a full chkdsk (including checking for bad sectors) and it didn't find any errors. Haven't run MemTest yet. Idle temperatures all seem normal. The only thing different is that part of the circular outside (not the pin) of the power plug got snapped off (only a small section), but I was already planning to replace that cord due to other issues I've been having with it so that doesn't concern me much. Doesn't appear that the port itself has sustained any damage. Nothing else was plugged in at the time.

Basically, does it seem like maybe I'm out of the woods now? Is it safe to use this machine with the current AC adapter for a couple days given it doesn't appear to have any worse problems with it than it already had? Should I open up the laptop and reseat everything just to be sure, or something? It's definitely out of warranty; I was ironically already about to switch to a new laptop that has already arrived and give my mom this one. I already have almost all important data off of here (and have a recent backup of what's left). Is there anything I should do to try to ensure it's going to stay stable for the future? It's a Sony VGN-FW590GTB if that helps with reliability info. Man I cannot believe I had this happen for the first time in the whole 6+ years I've had a laptop the WEEK before it's out of my possession. Seeing as how it's fairly important that this whole thing works if my mom's going to have it, and I need it for at least two more days, I'm kinda worried (but last night I was freaking out). Could've been worse, of course-- what if this were the new laptop!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    You can always run Prime95 on it and see if it crashes... But really the HDD is one of the big things to go if dropped from a distance. Can you hear it clicking or anything like that?

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Nope, like I said, everything sounds and is functioning perfectly normal, chkdsk found nothing, no programs are hanging (which I've definitely seen when a hard drive wasn't plugged in well enough for example), etc. Definitely no clicking, I would have started screaming immediately if I heard that since that means imminent failure. I guess I can give Prime95 a go after class if that's the best option out there for testing everything. I was actually looking at all sorts of benchmarking tools a week ago (using a recent thread posted in here) because I wanted to stress test the NEW laptop, but I guess now I need to run something or other on this one. :P

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Back your shit up.

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    As I said, I already did that a while ago in preparation for moving everything to my new laptop, except my bookmark backup is a little bit behind and that's really the only thing left on here. :P I guess if this WAS going to happen now wasn't the worst time (except that it's finals season for me-- luckily there are no more assignments I need to type). It seriously doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with my hard drive at the moment. I just remembered that in the VAIO Care suite there's some sort of hard drive testing program (probably SeaTools), so I'll run that to supplement last night's chkdsk as well when I'm back from class.