As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Know You're A Stoner When-

dwy?dwy? Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Artist's Corner
High! (pun intended)

I have been working on my webcomic on and off for a few years, and now I have started again with new website and I would like to hear what you think about it

The webcomic started after a couple of "you know" jokes with some friends, and I just tried some ideas out with bitstrips, and the strips just kept coming.. I am now making a lot of strips and have also redesigned my website for the comic.

I have been lurking on the forums earlier and will now try to be a part of your community

Hope you like it, and have a grrrreat weekend everybody

Saludos!
dwy?

Grifter on

• Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    People are gonna be upset if you don't post your work directly in the thread, just so you know (mainly because that's against the rules)

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    edited April 2013

dwy? on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Since this is niche subject matter, it might be helpful to know what you are looking for. Are you wanting tips on your art? Writing? Just a second pair of eyes to look at your comic?

Are you making these in MS Paint (I'm seeing a lot of line and shape tools)? If so, is that the software you are wanting to be limited too or do you/can you draw on paper and scan?

• Options
    edited April 2013
    High!

I use bitstrips for this webcomic.. I used to draw before, but have only used bitstrips the last years.. Some criticism and feedback on how the strips are laid out would be nice.. Anything you can put your finger on (positive/negative), I really like to get feedback so I can get better at what do :)

dwy? on
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Well, I can't speak for the rest of the community, but using what appears to be a clipart form of copy and paste comic creation kind of rubs me the wrong way right off the bat. If you really plan on using this long term then you are saying that the art will in no way evolve or improve. Sure, you can change the way you lay them out or design them but the art is the art. You can shuffle the deck chairs all you like but this pontoon will never be a cruise ship.

I should mention that I have never heard of Bitstrips before and had to google it to find out more, so a bit of this is probably just me have a gut reaction to that sort of thing.

If you want some feedback on what you have posted: Gradient backgrounds tend to look cheap and should be avoided. The line width is confusing at times and it would benefit from some variation. The level of detail varies from item to item and seems disjointed. I am guessing most of this comes from the use of the program, but as I said, I do not know that much about it.

Sorry if that comes off as kind of harsh, I am really not trying to be obtuse. You mentioned you used to draw, could you post some examples of something you have drawn? The more recent the better and it doesn't matter if they aren't comic related.

brokecracker on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    I don't think that was harsh at all broke; it was downright mild. How are we supposed to critique a comic visually generated by something like Bitstrips? We have aneurysms around here when someone copy-pastes backgrounds; on that continuum this is beyond the pale.

Melodrama aside, what are we supposed to be critiquing when you're not generating your own visuals?

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what we're supposed to critique here if you're not actually drawing anything. This is an art forum.

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Also:
    dwy? wrote: »
    High!

Stop this.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Yup. No art. Bad jokes. Waste of bandwidth.

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Some of this is coming off as overtly harsh, the reson for that is that a stoner comic will pop up in here every 3-6 months and they all look the same and they all have the same jokes. Unfortunately what you have here is little different. If you want to stand out from the pack you have to be doing it better, which means good jokes and good art.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Honestly dude the only people who find stoner jokes funny are 14 year old kids who just started smoking pot. and maybe hardcore anti-drug people? I don't know.

Not that it's impossible to tell a funny joke about weed.

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    This is sad.

• Options
    Thank you for your feedback! Just what I wanted/expected, some with good criticism and trying to explain it in a normal way even if it's harsh, and some that let their heads shine at best by not saying anything about the topic, only bashing the thread..

I mean, what can I do with "this is sad", how can I learn something and do something better from that? I really don't know the direction to go from that statement..

I thought comics or drawings for that matter, needed a little more than only to draw it, you know, perspective, colors, layouts and things like that? But I was surely wrong, this obviously only apply if I draw it by hand..

But hey, thank you for the feedback, got a little bit of everything here :)

Have a great day!

• Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    As someone who also lurks a lot, I'll just quickly point out the goals of this forum

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/106078/welcome-information-for-artists-and-critics-posting-in-this-forum/p1

This subforum is dedicated to posting your own artwork that you've made in the hopes to receive constructive criticism on the works you've done.

The goal of this forum is to continue to build a network of artists and art lovers who help each other achieve their artistic goals and improve their skills.

New threads are to be used only to showcase your own personal artwork that you want advice, criticism, and feedback on"

Now its true that saying things like "this fucking sucks" also isn't in line with the goals of the forum, but I think people are unsure what to do with artwork that you didn't actually make. Maybe you can make a case for bitstrips and say that in some way its your own artwork. You'd have to make a very strong case for me to believe you, but I'm sure its possible.

The problem is that since you didn't really make anything (either by hand, or computer, or your nose), you can't really improve. Brokecracker is right, there's no possibility for improvement. What is even the point of making these comics. To have some laughs with your friends? Well I'm sure you've already done that, but what's the point of posting here? On this art critique forum?

You don't have to be snarky about it

• Options
    Thank you for pointing this out to me, I am not trying to be snarky at all, sorry if it seemed like that.. I just appreciate replies like yours instead of insulting ones.. Might have posted this in the wrong forum, My bad..

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Well, since the artwork has been removed...

Geth, lock this thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Grifter. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.