Options

Bad News Gone Right -- Move along to version 2.0

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Saudi Arabian Prince Caught in Bacon Trafficking Scandal

In order to ensure that these products are indeed pig-related, I'll need them shipped to my home address for testing purposes... all 2,000 kilos of it.

So who here has their money on "Israel arrests Saudi Prince for smuggling Bacon" as their "What will start WW3/The Apocalypse" bet?

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Saudi Arabian Prince Caught in Bacon Trafficking Scandal

In order to ensure that these products are indeed pig-related, I'll need them shipped to my home address for testing purposes... all 2,000 kilos of it.

So who here has their money on "Israel arrests Saudi Prince for smuggling Bacon" as their "What will start WW3/The Apocalypse" bet?

I for one would be much more involved in a world war about bacon than in one about Austrian archdukes.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Teenager kept awake for week to stop parasite burrowing into eyeball

Medics forced a student to stay awake for a week to prevent a parasite from burrowing into her eyeball.

Jessica Greaney, 18, had eyedrops administered every ten minutes for seven days in a row after doctors found a small worm-like creature in her left eye from a contact lens.

Miss Greaney, a first-year English student at the University of Nottingham, was told she got the parasite - acanthamoeba keratitis - in her eye after a drop of tap water splashed on her contact lens.

At first, she thought she had an eye infection as her eyelid was dropping, which was then mis-diagnosed as an ulcer by doctors.

She said: "But, by the end of the week, my eye was bulging, and it looked like a huge red golf ball. It was swollen, and extremely painful, and they admitted me into hospital.

"I had an intensive treatment of eyedrops every ten minutes because my cornea was being eaten away from the inside by the parasite."

Miss Greaney, originally from Birmingham, was finally diagnosed with the parasite after doctors clamped open her eye and scraped off a layer with a scalpel, which was then sent away for testing.

She said: "Apparently, all water has tonnes of different types of bacteria and the acanthamoeba just happens to be one of them. One of my contact lenses got contaminated, and the parasite survived in the area between the lens and my eye."

If untreated, the parasite causes sight problems and paralysis or even death as it eats its way through the eye and into the spinal cord.

Speaking to student newspaper The Tab, she said: "They had to keep me awake for a week. It was torture - she had to hold my eye open and squirt a few droplets in.

"Even if I had managed to nod off, I could only get a couple of minutes' sleep before I was woken again. This parasite was still eating my eye and even worse, my immune system was shutting down because of my lack of sleep."

Miss Greaney has been wearing contact lenses for just two years and had no idea that she could contract an eye parasite from normal water.

She said: "I want to raise awareness about this parasite and tell people they need to be very careful with their contact lenses.

"If so much as a droplet of water gets into contact with the lens, problems can occur. I got my infection by just leaving my contact lenses near my sink, in a glass of solution."

Miss Greaney, who was admitted to hospital on March 26, still has to continue taking 21 droplets a day.

But she's doing okay, so hooray!

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    And that's why I stopped wearing contacts.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Medics forced a student to stay awake for a week to prevent a parasite from burrowing into her eyeball.

Jessica Greaney, 18, had eyedrops administered every ten minutes for seven days in a row after doctors found a small worm-like creature in her left eye from a contact lens.

Miss Greaney, a first-year English student at the University of Nottingham, was told she got the parasite - acanthamoeba keratitis - in her eye after a drop of tap water splashed on her contact lens.

At first, she thought she had an eye infection as her eyelid was dropping, which was then mis-diagnosed as an ulcer by doctors.

She said: "But, by the end of the week, my eye was bulging, and it looked like a huge red golf ball. It was swollen, and extremely painful, and they admitted me into hospital.

"I had an intensive treatment of eyedrops every ten minutes because my cornea was being eaten away from the inside by the parasite."

Miss Greaney, originally from Birmingham, was finally diagnosed with the parasite after doctors clamped open her eye and scraped off a layer with a scalpel, which was then sent away for testing.

She said: "Apparently, all water has tonnes of different types of bacteria and the acanthamoeba just happens to be one of them. One of my contact lenses got contaminated, and the parasite survived in the area between the lens and my eye."

If untreated, the parasite causes sight problems and paralysis or even death as it eats its way through the eye and into the spinal cord.

Speaking to student newspaper The Tab, she said: "They had to keep me awake for a week. It was torture - she had to hold my eye open and squirt a few droplets in.

"Even if I had managed to nod off, I could only get a couple of minutes' sleep before I was woken again. This parasite was still eating my eye and even worse, my immune system was shutting down because of my lack of sleep."

Miss Greaney has been wearing contact lenses for just two years and had no idea that she could contract an eye parasite from normal water.

She said: "I want to raise awareness about this parasite and tell people they need to be very careful with their contact lenses.

"If so much as a droplet of water gets into contact with the lens, problems can occur. I got my infection by just leaving my contact lenses near my sink, in a glass of solution."

Miss Greaney, who was admitted to hospital on March 26, still has to continue taking 21 droplets a day.

And thanks to that I can never go to sleep again.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

And thanks to that I can never go to sleep again.

Yeah, after reading that I immediately become immensely fatigued, but I just thought about my roommate who leaves his contacts by the sink...

Luckily they are in closed containers, but fucking a I have dropped those in the trash by accident before...

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

This barely qualifies as "gone right."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Acanthamoeba is NOT a worm or even worm-like. It's a species of amoeba, the common Protozoa most people are familiar with. It generally eats bacteria. Amebiasis can be catastrophic, because the can travel through spaces like the cribiform plate into the brain. It's good that she got treatment, but amoebas are tiny single cell organisms that are extremely common. You probably have lots of them on your skin right now.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Acanthamoeba is NOT a worm or even worm-like. It's a species of amoeba, the common Protozoa most people are familiar with. It generally eats bacteria. Amebiasis can be catastrophic, because the can travel through spaces like the cribiform plate into the brain. It's good that she got treatment, but amoebas are tiny single cell organisms that are extremely common. You probably have lots of them on your skin right now.

It's not a bacteria either (Acanthamoeba's actually a genus name, but the species are basically interchangeable), and acanthamoeba keratitis is the disease presentation when it infects the eye. You do want to keep your contact lenses well cleaned as that's how most people get it. Use a hydrogen peroxide solution and remember that the routine chlorination tap water gets doesn't kill everything.

It seems like they confused Acanthamoeba spp. with Naegleria fowleri, which is the one where you snort warm freshwater up your nose and it munches its way along the olfactory nerve and into your brain. Acanthamoeba keratitis normally causes blindness at worst, but as usual everything kills you when you're immunocompromised (AIDS, end-stage diabetes, cancer, etc).

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

It's not a bacteria either (Acanthamoeba's actually a genus name, but the species are basically interchangeable), and acanthamoeba keratitis is the disease presentation when it infects the eye. You do want to keep your contact lenses well cleaned as that's how most people get it. Use a hydrogen peroxide solution and remember that the routine chlorination tap water gets doesn't kill everything.

It seems like they confused Acanthamoeba spp. with Naegleria fowleri, which is the one where you snort warm freshwater up your nose and it munches its way along the olfactory nerve and into your brain. Acanthamoeba keratitis normally causes blindness at worst, but as usual everything kills you when you're immunocompromised (AIDS, end-stage diabetes, cancer, etc).

Huh. So I assume it needs the relatively protected environment provided by the contact lens? Otherwise I'd think there would be a lot more cases.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I heard a similar case a while back where the person hadn't removed or cleaned their contact lenses in multiple months and they got that infection.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    And I am suddenly thankful that I swapped to disposable one day contacts.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I heard a similar case a while back where the person hadn't removed or cleaned their contact lenses in multiple months and they got that infection.

Yeah, that was an anaerobic amoeba that had the perfect breeding ground between contact lens and eyeball.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Why I wear glasses:
    1. They help me see
    2. I'm super lazy; the idea that I have to take and wash a seeing apparatus on a daily basis is terribly inconvenient
    3. Great for blocking the wind, rain, snow, and dust; while everyone cowers, I trudge on with my head up
    4. It gives off the false pretense that I am very intelligent; I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, but I do wear glasses
    And now I can add: Fucking amoebas won't try to eat my brain, starting with my eyeballs

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, to move away from the discussion of OH MY GOD MY EYE, Slate has a good piece on the culture of outlaw biker gangs, and how that relates to the recent shootout in Waco.

Spoiler: Turns out that bikers can out-petty teenage girls.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    The continent of Australia continues to innovate in its neverending war on the primates who live on it:
    Millions of tiny spiders recently fell from the sky in Australia, alarming residents whose properties were suddenly covered with not only the creepy critters, but also mounds of their silky threads. But that’s not where the frightful news ends: Experts say that such arachnid rains aren’t as uncommon as you might think.

This month’s spider downpour in the country’s Southern Tablelands region is just the most recent example of a phenomenon commonly known as “spider rain” or, in some circles, “angel hair,” because of the silky, hairlike threads the spiders leave behind. Ian Watson, who lives in the region affected by the spooky shower, took to Facebook to describe what this strange “weather” looks like, according to the Goulburn Post.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    What part of "Gone Right" are you people not understanding?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Unless the follow up is "Australia has developed an anti-air spider targeting flame cannon in response, and have found it is 99% effective," there is no "gone right" there.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Okay, do hybrid chocobos count then?
    https://youtu.be/9o7YdYYbmqk

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I wonder what Nobuo Uematsu would have thought in 1986 if someone told him he would make music so recognizable that it would be in car commercials?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Only if a giant T-Rex came in, grabbed one and punted it across the field. At which time, some kick ass metal song chimes in as the remaining two cars attempt (poorly) to go off-road trying to flee. The dinosaur then crouches in a ready stance, as doors slide from cargo compartments on its back. Missile silos rise out and fire burst rounds of cluster missiles, totally annihilating the remaining cars. Then Chuck Norris comes in and uses his hidden beard fist to punch the T-Rex out cold. Shortly after, the police show up and arrest Mr. Norris as Sarah McLachlan starts playing her guitar and informs the viewer that even a T-Rex doesn't deserve to be abused, and for only $10 a month, you too can save a wild animal from Chuck Norris.

The curtains fall, the right has been made, and you get at least 10 Awesome votes.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Only if a giant T-Rex came in, grabbed one and punted it across the field. At which time, some kick ass metal song chimes in as the remaining two cars attempt (poorly) to go off-road trying to flee. The dinosaur then crouches in a ready stance, as doors slide from cargo compartments on its back. Missile silos rise out and fire burst rounds of cluster missiles, totally annihilating the remaining cars. Then Chuck Norris comes in and uses his hidden beard fist to punch the T-Rex out cold. Shortly after, the police show up and arrest Mr. Norris as Sarah McLachlan starts playing her guitar and informs the viewer that even a T-Rex doesn't deserve to be abused, and for only $10 a month, you too can save a wild animal from Chuck Norris.

The curtains fall, the right has been made, and you get at least 10 Awesome votes.

The two cars can't go off road though, they're yellow. Need to be Green or Black to go off road.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

The two cars can't go off road though, they're yellow. Need to be Green or Black to go off road.

When they do the sports car version they need to use this version
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    In a world where Red Mage scored a natural 20 when combining the chocobos.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/us-canada-knowledge-118101.html?hp=l5_4

Years of lying about Canada and Australia to eighth graders has finally paid off. You're welcome merica.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Years of lying about Canada and Australia to eighth graders has finally paid off. You're welcome merica.

I wonder how many would answer the same thing about their own country?

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

On the other hand, Stephen Harper...
    stephen_harper_by_zsaag-d34yfki.jpg
    :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »

Depends on what day of the week it is in merica. Is it Barack Obozo the tyrannical dictator, or Borocka Obalazo the weak willed effiminate leader.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Additionally, 12 percent incorrectly responded that all three countries discourage citizen participation in public affairs.
    Hey! These people got it right.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They're just projecting.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    https://youtu.be/9o7YdYYbmqk

So, it's worth pointing out that this is part of a set of JRPG themed ads for the Prius C (called the Aqua in Japan.) Here's an excellently done DQIII ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHmybb3bL2g

The thing I like is the detail - they didn't just use the music, but they have the cars move like the party does in the game, and the colors of the the cars were selected to match one of the most common endgame parties (Hero, Soldier, Sage, Priest). They also did a MH3 ad as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M13gwyK1XCk

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »

I wonder how many chose it because that was choice "C".

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

I'm running an event at that University RIGHT NOW and I must find this person

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular

Hey they answered "They have a ruler with absolute power"

With, with the passing of C-51, apparently isn't that far off.

Also the "Discourage citizen participation in public affairs" is pretty spot on.

...Also the head of state is kind of technically still the Queen of England so....

• Options
    Khavall wrote: »

Hey they answered "They have a ruler with absolute power"

With, with the passing of C-51, apparently isn't that far off.

Also the "Discourage citizen participation in public affairs" is pretty spot on.

...Also the head of state is kind of technically still the Queen of England so....

Actually, in Canada she's the Queen of Canada. Same person, different crown.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

The "broader problem" isn't that we have a lack of knowledge about Canada. It's that we have a culture that encourages ignorance and elevates feelings and personal opinions to be on par with facts.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

The "broader problem" isn't that we have a lack of knowledge about Canada. It's that we have a culture that encourages ignorance and elevates feelings and personal opinions to be on par with facts.

Even weirder, you quiz most Canadian's on their own government/politics, they won't know much.

But they'll know a ton of American information, because of all the American media we consume

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Resistance is futile, eh?

• Options

Even weirder, you quiz most Canadian's on their own government/politics, they won't know much.

But they'll know a ton of American information, because of all the American media we consume

Oddly, I had dinner with two Americans at my conference yesterday, and some trivia questions about early US presidents came up. I was the only one to get them all right. I also discovered that I can name the second US President but draw a complete blank on the second Canadian PM.

On a not-unrelated topic, we need an Animaniacs Prime Ministers song.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.