As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Sequels - How Much is Too Much?

2»

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I liked Fallout 3 much more than New Vegas.

It could have been because Fallout 3 had a much more coherent story.

It could have been because New Vegas was an incredibly buggy game that was always freezing up on me and fucking up my quests.

It could have been because the Ink Spots are awesome.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Godfather wrote: »
    There are worse things than CoD. After the success of Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (and it's sequel), Koei approached Nintendo with a proposal for "Pokemon Warriors". Nintendo declined, feeling that a Pokemon game should not include weapons and violent death. On the other hand, a Pokemon game including Oda Nobunaga was apparently the absolute tits:

imagebjo.jpg

Pokemon Conquest or, as it is known in Japan, (I really wish I were kidding) Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition

This is why we can't have nice things!

Everybody's rockin' legends and she gets a Jigglypuff?

No weapons...they had to find something equivalent to her ball on a piece of string.

At least Hideyoshi didn't get a Mankey; that would have been most unclassy.

He gets an Infernape...

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2013
    I liked Fallout 3 much more than New Vegas.

It could have been because Fallout 3 had a much more coherent story.

It could have been because New Vegas was an incredibly buggy game that was always freezing up on me and fucking up my quests.

It could have been because the Ink Spots are awesome.

It's not a fallout story though. Also, its uniformly terrible.

Bugs are 100% Bethesda's fault. Their engine and they did Q&A.

Not getting the rights to that song was the best thing that ever happened to fallout one. It's so heavy handed. Maybe was perfect, as was kiss to build a dream on.

You do know why it's called Fallut 3, right? It isn't because it's the third game (its the fifth game to wear the name, and has as much in common with FO1/2 as brotherhood of steel). It refers to the number of Hitlers that worked on it.

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    You do know why it's called Fallut 3, right? It isn't because it's the third game (its the fifth game to wear the name, and has as much in common with FO1/2 as brotherhood of steel). It refers to the number of Hitlers that worked on it.

The Hitler Brothers are a damn fine development team.

But seriously, the bugs in New Vegas made me give that game right up. Also, I just kinda hate Bethesda's engine; New Vegas was the game that really got under my skin, and Skyrim just sealed the deal. I probably will never play another sandbox game from Bethesda unless I hear that the engine and development attitudes have completely shifted.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    The Hitler Brothers?

Sounds like an oil change business

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    The Hitler Brothers?

Suddenly, you understand fracking.

• Options
    The Hitler Brothers?

We'll Treat You Reich.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The simple answer here is that sequels can exist until they have gotten to the point where the game sucks or is being sequeled purely to be milked. As long as i get enjoyment out of a sequel to a series i really enjoy i want more of them to be made.

Sports games however I find have gotten way past the point of this. The engines are barely changed from one year to the next, the roster could be updated via DLC, but they just wanna keep selling those 60 buck add on discs.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    A buggy sprawling mess that's also awesome is pretty much the old school Fallout games

NV was more faithful to the series by far

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I think it really depends on how the series is treated. Someone mentioned Fire Emblem, which I think is a good example. They've made a shitload of Fire Emblems over the years (awakening is the 13th) and the core concepts of all the games are more or less the same, but this most recent one is by far the best I've ever played, and I've beaten all the US releases (Even Shadow Dragon! And fuuuck Shadow Dragon). I would be disappointed if they stopped making them just because they got to some number that meant they were done.

As long as you continue to innovate and do interesting things, I welcome sequels.

aeNqQM9.jpg