As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Converting Credit Card/Remaining Car Loan Debt to Student Loans

HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
Is it a smart move? The numbers atm are:
  • $9,000 on one credit card
  • $2,000 on a store charge card
  • $7100 payoff option on the remaining payments for my car loan
My current student loan debt is at $12k, and I've just accepted an $8500 unsub loan for grad school in the fall, bringing my actual total of current student loan debt to ~$20k.

If I turned all of this debt into student loans, I'd be up to ~$38k in student loans. Assuming I land a decent middle-class wage job (let's put the number at $50k/yr), does this seem reasonable? My logic here is that I need to pay off the consumer debt anyway, and so I may as well do it at student loan rates, because afaik even unsub rates will be better than consumer rates. Am I right in thinking that converting it is the way to go?

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Have you read any of the recent H/A threads about student loans? Assuming you land a decent middle wage job is not always a reasonable assumption. What are you going to grad school for?

• Options
    Pure Din wrote: »
    Have you read any of the recent H/A threads about student loans? Assuming you land a decent middle wage job is not always a reasonable assumption. What are you going to grad school for?

Oh, sorry. Just scanned the first page and made the thread, because I am a jerk.

A Master in Theological Studies that I hope to turn into a career in foreign policy in the private sector, or pursuing work for the federal government as a fallback. I'll also be applying to a dual-degree program with the School of Government, which ought to increase my quantitative/"practical" skillset. I haven't completely ruled out pursuing a PhD.

Basically, the bare minimum I will walk out with is a degree with a heavy emphasis on Middle East politics and Islam as well as lots of coursework in general political science. I understand that that's not amazingly marketable per se, but I am also relying pretty heavily on the career services offices at both the Divinity School as well as the School of Government (both of which I hear are good) for job search/networking support.

School itself isn't gonna cost me anything save for living expenses.

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    No, you're fine making a new thread. I just thought you should check out the thread from the guy who had a ton of loans and then wasn't able to find a job. Worst case situation the student loans aren't affected by bankruptcy but the car and credit cards might be.

I don't want to scare you but since you haven't started grad school yet I recommend seeking out the career center resources right now before you even pick your classes. That stuff is more effective if you can work on getting the right experiences from the beginning rather than trying to get the connections and put a spin on your résumé near the end of your degree. (I'm sorry for stating the obvious if you're already doing this, but I've seen too many masters students dig themselves in a hole because they think they have one or two semesters to spend just exploring their interests and not thinking about jobs yet. And I'm in a field where employment prospects are considered relatively good...)

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure that would be possible. I mean most lenders will let you borrow more than tuition to help cover living expenses but I think they might pause when you try to ask for $18,000 more than you need for school. Also as mentioned student loans are much more difficult (at least if not impossible) to discharge in the event of a future bankruptcy. And there are limits I think in how much unsubsidized money you can get per year so you might not even be able to get the amount you want without resorting to private student loans.

I think you'd be better off just trying to find a lower interest credit card or loan and transferring you higher interest balances to that if the interest is outrageous now.

• Options
    Well, the max I can borrow per academic year is apparently $20,500.00, of which I have utilized $8500. This is all unsubsidized; my school stopped subsidized loans for grad students as of last year, unfortunately.

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    The first thought i had was... You may run into issues if you can't prove that you used the student loan debt for education.

Secondly, if the loan issuer ends up not caring about using the "student loan" for whatever you wish, then my next thought is to examine the terms of the loan. What you seem to be hoping for is a debt with the lowest fixed rate. If the rate is variable, keep in mind that rates are at record lows right now, and will go up a significant amount in the not-to-distant-future.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    I get the appeal, but the problem is that student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy and you don't have anywhere near the same latitude to negotiate with student loan servicers as you do credit card companies.

So if everything goes well, you would save money by taking your proposed course of action. But if anything goes wrong, you are in a much worse position.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    I get the appeal, but the problem is that student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy and you don't have anywhere near the same latitude to negotiate with student loan servicers as you do credit card companies.

So if everything goes well, you would save money by taking your proposed course of action. But if anything goes wrong, you are in a much worse position.

Exactly. Why would you want to push the debt from dischargeable to non-dischargeable?

Just start plugging away at the cards. 9k is a lot to have on a card when you're in school.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Exactly. Why would you want to push the debt from dischargeable to non-dischargeable?

Just start plugging away at the cards. 9k is a lot to have on a card when you're in school.

Thirded. You're already in a decent amount of non-school debt for only just starting grad school. You have no job yet and you're in a field where you'll either be teaching, working at a think tank, or not using your degree for your job which will probably leave you with less income than you're planning to start with, at least in the beginning. You'll have more wiggle room with credit card and car loan repayment than with student loans. Keep it that way.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I wouldn't suggest it. It is very likely your not going to find a job paying you 50k a year. The federal government is not a viable fallback position. For one there is a widespread hiring freeze, for another you only qualify with a degree and no experience for a GS-9 job (which is 50k a year) and you will get beat out by GS-7 step 2 vets looking to move up 100% of the time. It is incredibily difficult to get a fed job. It took me 3 years to get a fed job, and that was with people on the inside trying to help me.

There is a very good chance that you will have a masters degree and make 30-40k a year. There is also a chance you'll be doing 15-20k a year.

A bankruptcy if you need it will allow you to pay 20 cents on the dollar for all of your loans except your student loans. Also you may pay off all your cards and your car with your student loans, then rack up the bill on them again and have another 10k in CC and 38k in student loans.

I could see advantages in paying off your car, but only if you keep your car for an extended period of time.

• Options
    Hmm. I appreciate everyone's input.

I guess I should mention that I don't actually have the car that I'm making payments on anymore. It was stolen a year ago and I had no insurance at the time (I make excellent life decisions, don't I?). I don't know if that makes any difference to the calculus, but I figure more information about my situation can't hurt.

• Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    Absolutely terrible idea. You can't discharge student loans at this time but in a worst case scenario you can discharge those the other obligations.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'm not really giving advice but how is this a terrible idea? I understand that student loans stay with you forever, but I feel like you should approach all debts with the idea that you are going to pay it off eventually. On top of which credit card debt has outrageous interest rates. Like north of 20% usually. I wouldn't say that student loans are the answer to all your problems, but pretty much any debt is better than credit card debt if you plan to pay it off.

As for the legality of using student loans for non tuition/school related expenses, you could always use the loan to live on and put all income towards paying down the debt. Pretty sure that's legit. I am super surprised you can get $20,000ish in subsidized loans though. From my recollection it was only the stafford federal loan that was subsidized and the cap for that was $8500.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    I'm not really giving advice but how is this a terrible idea? I understand that student loans stay with you forever, but I feel like you should approach all debts with the idea that you are going to pay it off eventually. On top of which credit card debt has outrageous interest rates. Like north of 20% usually. I wouldn't say that student loans are the answer to all your problems, but pretty much any debt is better than credit card debt if you plan to pay it off.

As for the legality of using student loans for non tuition/school related expenses, you could always use the loan to live on and put all income towards paying down the debt. Pretty sure that's legit. I am super surprised you can get $20,000ish in subsidized loans though. From my recollection it was only the stafford federal loan that was subsidized and the cap for that was $8500.

Unsubsidized.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

While yes, it's better to say "I'm going to pay things off", it's nice to know that if you get run over by an uninsured hobo who stole a car, you can discharge the debt with your medical expenses. It's seriously a boneheaded move to transfer it to a non-dischargeable arena without a large principal or interest rate reduction. Notwithstanding that OP is already noted for not being terribly responsible with money given the information he has provided.

• Options
    Hamurabi wrote: »

Unsubsidized.

The people that incur a debt that they don't intend to pay off will structure it so that the an LLC or other corporate entity is liable, not themselves.

Everybody expects to be able to pay off their debts. It's basic human nature to expect a positive outcome, which is why people systemically ignore risk. Everyone in this article expected to pay off their loans, yet some will not. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/business/student-loans-weighing-down-a-generation-with-heavy-debt.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

If these people had racked up credit card bills this large, they would be scot free right now.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular

Unsubsidized.

The people that incur a debt that they don't intend to pay off will structure it so that the an LLC or other corporate entity is liable, not themselves.

Everybody expects to be able to pay off their debts. It's basic human nature to expect a positive outcome, which is why people systemically ignore risk. Everyone in this article expected to pay off their loans, yet some will not. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/business/student-loans-weighing-down-a-generation-with-heavy-debt.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

If these people had racked up credit card bills this large, they would be scot free right now.

Obviously it's not without risk, but that doesn't make it outright a bad idea. It will absolutely depend on the interest rates, but I would be shocked if the credit card rates were less than 20% interest. That means the OP could be getting north of a 4 fold decrease in interest by switching that debt to student loans. If it already looks like there is no chance of ever paying it all off, then sure, don't shoot yourself in the foot now. But if things still look at all manageable, then there is just no way that keeping the credit card debt makes sense.

Also, bankruptcy is not getting off free and clear. I'm not a bankruptcy lawyer, but you have to be in pretty dire straights to even be eligible for bankruptcy. While it is a good last resort if everything goes belly up, if the OP maintains a reasonable income, that isn't high enough to pay down the debt, it really doesn't help him.

In my personal opinion I would look at your interest rates and consider taking out more student loans so that you can pay down any ridiculously high interest rate debts. Like 20%+ rates. For things like the auto loan where you are likely only at 4-8% or something, I would leave it. You've already got 20K in student loans, I don't think another 9 is really going to sink you, and I do think eliminating any very high interest rate loans will help out a lot in repaying them.

As always, the best advice is to contact a professional. In this case, there's probably someone at your school that you can talk to about your options.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2013
    Obviously it's not without risk, but that doesn't make it outright a bad idea.

I think it's time we had a conversation about why Hamurabi has over $7k left on a car loan for a car he no longer possesses. :P

I would say that it's maybe not a terrible idea IF you committed yourself to taking what you're paying into that debt now and paying it into the newly acquired student loan debt instead. If you're going to take it as a pass to not pay anything until after you graduate then I don't think that with your track record it's a good plan. I think you'd be better off taking the responsibility for it now and paying it down as much as you can, as soon as you can.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options

Unsubsidized.

Obviously it's not without risk, but that doesn't make it outright a bad idea. It will absolutely depend on the interest rates, but I would be shocked if the credit card rates were less than 20% interest. That means the OP could be getting north of a 4 fold decrease in interest by switching that debt to student loans. If it already looks like there is no chance of ever paying it all off, then sure, don't shoot yourself in the foot now. But if things still look at all manageable, then there is just no way that keeping the credit card debt makes sense.

Also, bankruptcy is not getting off free and clear. I'm not a bankruptcy lawyer, but you have to be in pretty dire straights to even be eligible for bankruptcy. While it is a good last resort if everything goes belly up, if the OP maintains a reasonable income, that isn't high enough to pay down the debt, it really doesn't help him.

In my personal opinion I would look at your interest rates and consider taking out more student loans so that you can pay down any ridiculously high interest rate debts. Like 20%+ rates. For things like the auto loan where you are likely only at 4-8% or something, I would leave it. You've already got 20K in student loans, I don't think another 9 is really going to sink you, and I do think eliminating any very high interest rate loans will help out a lot in repaying them.

As always, the best advice is to contact a professional. In this case, there's probably someone at your school that you can talk to about your options.

I am a bankruptcy lawyer. You don't have to be in "dire" straits to file chapter 7 or 13 and get a discharge, it just does major damage to your credit and should be an option of last resort.

What you're advocating is for OP to assume guaranteed income stream for the next 4-5 years. This seems extraordinarily unwise to me.

Assuming OP even finds a job, the weak economy or a personal or family misfortune could end any employment he does find in an instant.

It doesn't matter if things "look manageable," because the whole point is that if things turn out bad then he is exponentially screwed. The upside is that you will knock down interest payments on the credit card by 10%. The potential downside risk is that he cant find a job for 2-4 years and never crawls out from under his student loan debt.

If things do go south he could negotiate a settlement amt with the credit card companies, but student loan lenders at best go
    to 85% of principal.

fwKS7.png?1