Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - Infestation

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited April 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Infestation


Infestation
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/infestation

It was a different era.

Anonymous

My tale takes place in the bygone days of yore.

This was an era in which the WELL was the closest thing to an Internet that existed.

In those days, scientists had recently announced the achievement of placing an entire gigabyte of information onto a single silicon chip! (though they could not believe it could be of any practical use…)

Yea, those many eons ago, when Atari had just released its new gaming console to eat all other gaming consoles: the Jaguar.

In that time before even the now long-extinct Game Sharks had crawled out from the primordial sludge, its ancient ancestors still ruled the land of console gaming prehistory.

This was the age of the Game Genie!

I, as one of the very lucky few, the chosen ones, had been hired by the great Galoob Toys (Requiescat in pace), creators of Micro Machines and distributors of the Game Genie, to test Game Genie cheat codes.

Engineers plugged away in some undisclosed location, hacking hexadecimal codes to enable the unskilled and unscrupulous child to cheat at - now antique - video games. Our job was to check to insure that these codes, when entered into the Game Genie with proper ceremony, would actually do some sort of cheating in a manner somewhat similar to the engineers’ descriptions sent with these same codes.

When the description was inaccurate, a better description would be written by the tester. (ie: this isn’t infinite lives! this is 99 lives!) When the code was ineffectual, it was the testers’ duty to see it was discarded.

In this way we toiled, and so earned our wage.

Our tiny, two-cubical “code testing” department was planted smack in the middle of the incredibly cool in-house art department, who would constantly converse boisterously on all manner of topic, usually of great hilarity and some little bawdiness, astounding we wee gamers in their midst with their wit, and all the while would they be busily turning out colorful packaging and adhesive sticker designs for Galoob’s licensed toy franchises (such as Biker Mice from Mars and The A-Team).

I actually got paid to sit in a room filled with entertaining, creative people and play video games - full time. (and to cheat with honor, no less.)

When the Genie’s sales were done, so were those halcyon days of my youth. I was laid off. When my final day arrived, while all these wonderful persons I had grown so fond of in that never-to-be-returned-to place of joy were happily nibbling away at a huge cake in my honor - trite condolences and wishes for my future good fortune scrawled upon it in cold sugar - I, in my loss, hid myself away on a loading dock out behind the building and I wept great tears of grief and sorrow.


Geth on

Posts

  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    It was amazing to find your own codes that worked with the Game Genie
    But then this was also when I started to figure out how the password continue worked with a letter or two difference you got a better or worse game

    A.jpg
  • ZolafZolaf Registered User new member
    I don't feel sorry for the April 16th, "Like Meatloaf" QA tester story. That guy just needed to learn how to say "No." I have problems refusing people myself, but even I would have apologized and told them I didn't have time.

  • Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Zolaf wrote: »
    I don't feel sorry for the April 16th, "Like Meatloaf" QA tester story. That guy just needed to learn how to say "No." I have problems refusing people myself, but even I would have apologized and told them I didn't have time.

    Good guys finish last. Good people get exploited fast.
    It's not so much learning how to say "No." so much as being kind-hearted you want to help, even despite it becoming cumbersome.


    The story in question:
    Tales from the Trenches

    Like Meatloaf.

    04/16/2013 - Anonymous

    I worked as a QA tester for about 6 months (long enough to realize I never wanted to do it ever again) when I was in desperate need of work and, you know, money. After I was laid off, I thought I was done with the job. But as it turns out, you’re never done.

    Years later, doing a university course for something I actually wanted to do with my life, I find myself in the animation studio of the school taking photos of students. Some of them were working on making a game for some reason. A very excited girl runs up to me, asking if I could pretty please play test her game build for her assignment.

    “Sure, I don’t see the harm.” I say, and I sit down and play a horrifically broken FPS and show her exactly where it’s unclear how to progress and what’s wrong with her level design, and offer suggestions on how to improve the product.

    “Wow. You’re really good at this!” she exclaims.

    “Oh? Well I guess it’s just ingrained in me from when I worked as a game tester.” I respond without thinking. Her eyes widen with excitement, and my heart sinks.

    I then spent the next 12 hours testing every single game in their class and giving comprehensive analysis to each of them about the builds. I was also asked to come back in a week to do it again.

    I was passed around like a lump of meat loaf and wasn’t even offered any kind of compensation for my time after the fact. They all thought “Playing games for 12 hours” was payment enough…

    Ori Klein on
    Geth
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    I always follow the mantre of never work for free. However if we are friends pizza and/or beer is payment enough.

    Commander Zoom
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    Ori Klein wrote: »
    Zolaf wrote: »
    I don't feel sorry for the April 16th, "Like Meatloaf" QA tester story. That guy just needed to learn how to say "No." I have problems refusing people myself, but even I would have apologized and told them I didn't have time.

    Good guys finish last. Good people get exploited fast.
    It's not so much learning how to say "No." so much as being kind-hearted you want to help, even despite it becoming cumbersome.


    The story in question:
    Tales from the Trenches

    Like Meatloaf.

    04/16/2013 - Anonymous

    I worked as a QA tester for about 6 months (long enough to realize I never wanted to do it ever again) when I was in desperate need of work and, you know, money. After I was laid off, I thought I was done with the job. But as it turns out, you’re never done.

    Years later, doing a university course for something I actually wanted to do with my life, I find myself in the animation studio of the school taking photos of students. Some of them were working on making a game for some reason. A very excited girl runs up to me, asking if I could pretty please play test her game build for her assignment.

    “Sure, I don’t see the harm.” I say, and I sit down and play a horrifically broken FPS and show her exactly where it’s unclear how to progress and what’s wrong with her level design, and offer suggestions on how to improve the product.

    “Wow. You’re really good at this!” she exclaims.

    “Oh? Well I guess it’s just ingrained in me from when I worked as a game tester.” I respond without thinking. Her eyes widen with excitement, and my heart sinks.

    I then spent the next 12 hours testing every single game in their class and giving comprehensive analysis to each of them about the builds. I was also asked to come back in a week to do it again.

    I was passed around like a lump of meat loaf and wasn’t even offered any kind of compensation for my time after the fact. They all thought “Playing games for 12 hours” was payment enough…

    No no no. I could not disagree with you anymore than I do. The energy from my disagreement could power a small city. There's a big difference between being a nice person who wants to help out, and being a pathetic loser who gets used because he's too scared to say no. This might be so shocking that you'll pass out, so I want you to sit down and get a glass of water before you finish reading this....You can be a great fantastic human being, and have a spine.

    "Not far below you is a large horizontal plane which proves beneficial in maximizing the exploitation of gravity."
    theResetButtonOld Red InkCommander Zoom
  • SkunkapeSkunkape Registered User regular
    I agree, it was nice to help them at first. IF he did not want to help them after that he should have said something. He just comes off as a crybaby. Personally, I think he wanted to show off a little and thought they would shower him with gold after he told them how crappy their games were.

    forty
  • fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    If you are willing to work for nothing, people will gladly pay the price. You don't tutor for free. It's okay to do a one-off "Mr Niceguy Helper," but as soon as people you've never met start coming to you, you say, "Thirty bucks an hour." Put a sign up in the commons, offer an hourly rate or a flat fee to test people's class projects.

    fearsomepirate on
    Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
    Commander Zoom
  • lawragatajarlawragatajar Registered User regular
    It's one thing to be nice and help out the first time, but this guy just let himself be a doormat or " a lump of meat loaf" as he describes. It doesn't sound he knew any of the students asking for help, nor does is sound like there would be a penalty for not helping. It's quite easy to say, "I'm sorry, but I don't have time right now." Considering the story says he spent the next 12 hours doing this, that's an understandable excuse; who has a spare 12 hours in a row?

    Actually, this was missed opportunity to earn some side income by charging for his time. I'm sure a few students would be willing to pay. Even they didn't, the professor may find his services useful as a teaching assistant. At least then there would be some compensation for his time.

    Commander Zoom
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Yeah, if it was too much he just needed to tell them no. No reason not to (not like this was an actual job where his paycheck was on the line or something)

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Commander Zoom
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Animation students designing and developing video games? Wha?

    I wonder if meat loaf guy learned a valuable lesson about saying "no, sorry" or "compensate me for my time" or if he came back the next week to continue being a spineless piece of ground meat.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
    Commander Zoom
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Skunkape wrote: »
    I agree, it was nice to help them at first. IF he did not want to help them after that he should have said something. He just comes off as a crybaby. Personally, I think he wanted to show off a little and thought they would shower him with gold after he told them how crappy their games were.

    I know for sure that in college I did all sorts of work in the hopes that boobs might somehow show up, when they most certainly were not going to.

    What is this I don't even.
  • Panda LikerPanda Liker Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Skunkape wrote: »
    I agree, it was nice to help them at first. IF he did not want to help them after that he should have said something. He just comes off as a crybaby. Personally, I think he wanted to show off a little and thought they would shower him with gold after he told them how crappy their games were.

    I know for sure that in college I did all sorts of work in the hopes that boobs might somehow show up, when they most certainly were not going to.

    At some point though, probably after hour 1, the guy should have realised that he's not getting anything from this and said, 'yeah, this has been nice, but no. Got better things, you know, like my own work.'

    Unless he wanted to be an altruist. In which case, he can't bloody complain about it afterwords.

    GethCommander Zoom
  • HenroidHenroid Internet Pariah Going nowhere, but fast.Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It was amazing to find your own codes that worked with the Game Genie
    But then this was also when I started to figure out how the password continue worked with a letter or two difference you got a better or worse game

    I never discovered my own Game Genie codes. I never tried with any effort really.

    Damn, the Game Genie. I remember there some games where you'd plug the NES cart into said Genie, and it would have a more distinct metal scraping sound. That would scare the shit out of me, as I was already aware of the concept of "wear and tear."

    Don't accept centrism. Don't let them bully you.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
    forty
  • The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It was amazing to find your own codes that worked with the Game Genie
    But then this was also when I started to figure out how the password continue worked with a letter or two difference you got a better or worse game

    I never discovered my own Game Genie codes. I never tried with any effort really.

    Damn, the Game Genie. I remember there some games where you'd plug the NES cart into said Genie, and it would have a more distinct metal scraping sound. That would scare the shit out of me, as I was already aware of the concept of "wear and tear."

    It's better than the 'distinct snapping of the contacts on the cartridge' sound, omen of needing both a new game genie and a new copy of Dino Riki.

    God, I remember reading through the game genie code book a million times. At the hairdresser, in the doctor's waiting room, at my mom's office. There was always something almost titillating about seeing the weird-ass shit some of those codes did.

    LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • SkunkapeSkunkape Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Skunkape wrote: »
    I agree, it was nice to help them at first. IF he did not want to help them after that he should have said something. He just comes off as a crybaby. Personally, I think he wanted to show off a little and thought they would shower him with gold after he told them how crappy their games were.

    I know for sure that in college I did all sorts of work in the hopes that boobs might somehow show up, when they most certainly were not going to.

    Yes, this gentlemen needs to be introduced to the barter system. Sometimes you can achieve wonderful results....

  • SecretagentmanSecretagentman Registered User regular
    Skunkape wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Skunkape wrote: »
    I agree, it was nice to help them at first. IF he did not want to help them after that he should have said something. He just comes off as a crybaby. Personally, I think he wanted to show off a little and thought they would shower him with gold after he told them how crappy their games were.

    I know for sure that in college I did all sorts of work in the hopes that boobs might somehow show up, when they most certainly were not going to.

    Yes, this gentlemen needs to be introduced to the barter system. Sometimes you can achieve wonderful results....

    The barter system? So, Tits or GTFO?

    PSN: matter_ic
    Professional forum lurker
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    What is Marley doing in that last panel? I know they got caught and all, but I don't understand his response.




  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    That's a life lesson not a QA lesson. Anytime you do something someone doesn't know how to do, fixing computers, repairing plumming, fixing cars etc a friend will always ask for help with those things, because they know you can do it. QA for videogames is a pretty rare skillset, but let me tell you how often I get asked to fix so and so's computer. . .

  • SkunkapeSkunkape Registered User regular
    Skunkape wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Skunkape wrote: »
    I agree, it was nice to help them at first. IF he did not want to help them after that he should have said something. He just comes off as a crybaby. Personally, I think he wanted to show off a little and thought they would shower him with gold after he told them how crappy their games were.

    I know for sure that in college I did all sorts of work in the hopes that boobs might somehow show up, when they most certainly were not going to.

    Yes, this gentlemen needs to be introduced to the barter system. Sometimes you can achieve wonderful results....

    The barter system? So, Tits or GTFO?

    That is a little hardcore. Foot rubs are always rewarding.

Sign In or Register to comment.