As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 4/17/13: Why can't you just be Princess Red?

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Graphic Violence
G-Man: Coming Home #3, keep the names simple, people:
gmancominghome3a_zps9d3aea51.jpg

gmancominghome3b_zps9dd20e5a.jpg

gmancominghome3c_zps5b07b142.jpg

Daredevil #25, when you assume you make an ass out of you and me, the reader, because Matt thinks he has a monopoly on being blind (major kudos to Samnee on this issue, making pages have lots of panels):
The person after Matt's magic radiation is some ninja guy named Ikari, ninja DD:

daredevil25a_zpsb77a335c.jpg

daredevil25b_zps1253c040.jpg

daredevil25c_zps5a1fcd71.jpg

Wonder Woman #19, even though it tries to put the kibosh on the WW/Orion pair it's immediately more interesting than Superman/WW, even if dames dese days can't take a compliment:
wonderwoman19a_zps9a08b0ea.jpg

wonderwoman19b_zps6441451e.jpg

wonderwoman19c_zps14079fd7.jpg

wonderwoman19d_zpsc15110ba.jpg

TexiKen on

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I really like the costume on the dude DD is fighting. As for who's behind this all, I think it's
    the blind dude that young Matt Murdock saved from the toxic waste. He probably watched Murdock from afar out of gratitude, but then became pissed after finding out Murdock was Daredevil and realizing he'd have powers if he'd been splashed.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    yeah, I want WW/Orion together. That'd be a fun, unpredictable pairing.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Man, I can't believe I didn't figure out that
    Ikari was D-Man! I mean, the clues were right there on the cover.

fVjvvo5.jpg

Bravo, Mark Waid.

Munch on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    My moment of the week is a toss-up between CAP #6 and finding out that DANGER CLUB is still being published (apparently its now on the Millar-Hitch ULTIMATES schedule of "Whenever the fuck I feel like putting it out").

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    If Mark Waid brought back D-Man, I would hitch-hike to his house just to give him a big hug.

If Mark Waid brought back D-Man, I would hitch-hike to his house just to give him a big hug.

Did you know that Mark Waid was once quasi-kidnapped?
    Mark Waid wrote:
    Several years ago, I had done an over-the-phone college radio interview with a couple of guys in Vermont. Chat went fine, I remembered to mention what a genius Alex Ross is the requisite nine times, and we probably moved some trade paperbacks in the process. So once the interview was done, one of them explained that they ran a store in one of Vermont’s largish towns and asked if I’d be interested in doing an in-person signing. “Sure,” I said. At the time, I was living in Brooklyn, so it would be a short flight, and I’d never been to Vermont before. Fly up late on a Saturday morning, home on Sunday morning, see the sights, meet some fans. “Great,” I said. Set me up.”

The flight--on one of those twin-engine jobs where they discount your ticket if you bring your own helmet--was, despite the tiny cabin, spectacular. Honestly. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky at any point during the trip, and I just stared out the window at the beautiful farmland below. Landed around noon. My hosts were there to pick me up. They were a little younger than I’d figured they were going to be, but at least they were there at the gate like they’d promised they’d be and, besides, I’ve never been very good at picking up on Giant Red Flags.

So they piled me into their 1932 Hupmobile and, though we didn’t have a whole lot of time before the signing was scheduled to begin, they decided they wanted to give me a tour of the city. “Here’s the college,” they remarked as we drove past.

“Cool. Store’s probably nearby, right? Where’s the store?”

“And here’s the business district. This is the downtown area. And over here is restaurant row.”

“Nice. Very pretty. Very picturesque. So where’s the store?”

“Now, down here is the old mill. Been closed for a while, but it’s still a big tourist draw.”

“That is something. Yes, sir. So where’s the store?”

“Well, Mr. Waid...about that...”

There was no store.

Let me repeat that.

There was no store.

There. Was. No. Store. Instead, there were, in this town, two comics fans who had pooled their lawnmowing money to pay for a LaGuardia-to-Vermont plane ticket for their very-soon-not-to-be-favorite writer so they could meet him and own him for a day.

There. Was. No. Store.

I’ve seen the movie Misery. I’m ahead of you. I’ve told this story often enough that I know exactly what your response to that is. You want to know how quickly I reached from the back seat of the Hupmobile, snapped their necks, and took the first plane back to New York. That is a perfectly reasonable thing to wonder, but you have the dual benefits of hindsight and perspective. I had neither. For me that afternoon, it was just such a surreal, slow-dawn unfolding of the bizarre that the indignant neck-snapper in me was internally at war with my analytical-writer side, and I was forced to fully assess the situation rather than follow my murderous instincts. The arguments against Hulking out were compelling. First, I was completely dependent on these guys for transportation, and we were so far from the airport that finding, much less paying for, a taxicab was out of the question. Second, I already knew for a fact that there were no more flights back to New York that day. Third, this was long before I had a cellphone in my pocket at all times so, on the off-chance the cops would be able to fingerprint these guys’ necks before I could hitchhike over the state line, I had no easy way of letting my friends and family know whatever became of me. And...and, I admit, this was the single most pertinent factor...the morbidly curious part of me, the part that loves a good story, was dying to know what was going to happen next.

Here’s what happened next: Nothing.

I don’t mean, like, nothing bad. I mean, like, nothing. We drove around some more. I answered a lot of questions about what Alan Moore and Paul Levitz were really like. I signed a few of their comics, I lied about being hungry and made them change our dinner reservation from 7:30 to 5:00, I met their nineteen fanboy pals at the restaurant, I inhaled my food, and I was finally alone at the Sav-On-Inn by six.

There was no cable TV. I spent most of the next several hours watching fishing shows.

The next morning, they and all nineteen of their friends--each and every one of them holding in his trembling hands a mini-series proposal for the resurrection of some obscure DC character no one will ever, ever, ever care about--swung the Hupmobile by to grab me for breakfast before the flight home. I begged off on the meal, asked politely but firmly that they simply get me to the airport, and then, once I was there, where there were plenty of Federal marshals around to keep any of us from doing anything regretful, I politely read these guys the riot act. I explained how so very uncool this was, how it was flattering and their hearts were in the right place but how freakish this whole experience had been, and that before I would ever even consider referring any other comics pro to them, comic books would no longer exist. They got it. I saw in their sad, puppy-dog eyes that they got it. There was no question that they got it.

Six months later, another pro called me for info. He remembered that I’d been invited to Vermont and he was interested in taking a trip there if they’d fly him in. He’d tried calling ahead, but for some reason, directory assistance didn’t have any comics stores listed in the area.

Go figure.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    While I'm just joking, and D-Man's currently pretty busy being dead, and Ikari sounds nothing like D-Man, I do kind of love the idea of D-Man's new gimmick being that he randomly shows up in a new, villainous identity with each appearance.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Don't remind me that D-Man is dead... That was such an awful story.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    That Mark Waid story is hilarious only because he didn't end up dead at the end, but otherwise it's creepy as Hell.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Superior Spider-Man #8 Spock helps a kid he accidentally messed up during Ends of the Earth (and "Peter" is discovered)
    asnidMN.jpg

QvE6B8t.jpg

hv7G5n8.jpg

Ultimate Comics Wolverine #3 Jimmy meets his half brother, who has a plan for all the children of Mothervine.
    dXfASlH.jpg

BcC6tLG.jpg

2ZNIQit.jpg

OpjqgAU.jpg

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Robots in Disguise 16 ended the first story arc with a bang, wrapped up a few loose ends
    here's my favorite sequence from the issue, though it had quite a few good ones
    tumblr_inline_mlffnziIbr1qz4rgp.jpg
    before Wheeljack died, he gave Bumblebee a hint that he put a force field generator around Megatron's spark while Megs was offline and captive, and the code to activate it was "the three most important words in the Cybertronian language"

Megatron was taken out, disabling him and stopping him from combining with the constructicons to make Devastator

Antimatter on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Nightwing#19 has beautiful art and a slightly new take on Dicks costume
    2687314A-61F6-4E4F-8E48-F47B23F72314-1238-00000251CDE76ACD.jpg

My MOTW: someone tell me what happens in Age of Ultron #6!

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    That Mark Waid story is hilarious only because he didn't end up dead at the end, but otherwise it's creepy as Hell.

It may also be more hilarious than factual.

euj90n71sojo.png
    edited April 2013
    A link to BC? Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

Crimsondude on

Cap, Fury, and Company travel to the gleaming, sterile landscape of Ultron's future kingdom, and they get slaughtered. Cap's head gets blown off, at the least.

Meanwhile, Wolverine and Sue go to the past, where they happen upon Pym right after he gets the idea for Ultron. Sue lets Wolverine kill him, even though it's a hard decision for me to buy.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Cap, Fury, and Company travel to the gleaming, sterile landscape of Ultron's future kingdom, and they get slaughtered. Cap's head gets blown off, at the least.

Meanwhile, Wolverine and Sue go to the past, where they happen upon Pym right after he gets the idea for Ultron. Sue lets Wolverine kill him, even though it's a hard decision for me to buy.

Why couldn't they just go
    Hey, Hank Pym, we're from the future. Due to a fundamental flaw in your design, you're robot is going to become a force of destruction and eventually wipe out the entire world and every superhero on Earth will fail to stop it. No, you can't correct the flaw, don't even try. Destroy your notes and never build the thing...

..Also, we're letting the Avengers know just in case you think we're full of shit. Seriously, do not build this robot. Do not build ANY robot. The future depends on it. The shrinking/growing/insect control stuff is A-OK though; keep going on with that.

Also also, if you ever get kicked out of the Avengers, do not take on a new persona and engineer a robot attack to try and prove how effective you are to your fellow heroes; they'll just think you're nuts.

Also also also, avoid slapping your wife away in a fit of madness; you never live that one down.

Why couldn't they just go
    Hey, Hank Pym, we're from the future. Due to a fundamental flaw in your design, you're robot is going to become a force of destruction and eventually wipe out the entire world and every superhero on Earth will fail to stop it. No, you can't correct the flaw, don't even try. Destroy your notes and never build the thing...

..Also, we're letting the Avengers know just in case you think we're full of shit. Seriously, do not build this robot. Do not build ANY robot. The future depends on it. The shrinking/growing/insect control stuff is A-OK though; keep going on with that.

Also also, if you ever get kicked out of the Avengers, do not take on a new persona and engineer a robot attack to try and prove how effective you are to your fellow heroes; they'll just think you're nuts.

Also also also, avoid slapping your wife away in a fit of madness; you never live that one down.
    The storyline hinges upon the assumption that Hank Pym is a terrible person who cannot do anything right and would create an A.I. even after being told that it'll turn out evil.

Which, to be fair, is what 90% of comic fans have been saying about him for years.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    The storyline hinges upon the assumption that Hank Pym is a terrible person who cannot do anything right and would create an A.I. even after being told that it'll turn out evil.
    i fucking hate you brian bendis

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    hank pym is not a terrible person, he's a terrible hero

7656367.jpg
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Superior Spider-Man #8 Spock helps a kid he accidentally messed up during Ends of the Earth (and "Peter" is discovered)
    asnidMN.jpg

QvE6B8t.jpg

hv7G5n8.jpg

And Spock's heart grew three sizes that day.

Not pictured: Peter Parker, The Petulant Spider-Dick, attempting to use his magical "cause Spock's hand to tremble" power to cause Spock to fuck up performing neurosurgery on a child.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    The argument they make about that is
    that Pym would be confident/arrogant enough to believe that having been warned, he would be able to build Ultron "properly" so that it didn't turn evil. Tony Stark even admits that he'd have done the same in Pym's shoes if he received such a warning.

From Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover's Bandette #4, available now through Comixology.

l5XBnpc.jpg

While I've really enjoyed Bandette up until now, this issue really brought it home. It's one of those comics where everyone talks exclusively in banter. And there's a fight in a graveyard, which is one of those weird little tropes I always enjoy.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    asnidMN.jpg

QvE6B8t.jpg

hv7G5n8.jpg

Not pictured: Peter Parker, The Petulant Spider-Dick, attempting to use his magical "cause Spock's hand to tremble" power to cause Spock to fuck up performing neurosurgery on a child.

Serial? That's pretty terrible, especially when it looks like Spock is doing pretty good getting a Zemo redemption treatment.

Just remember this week whenever Spider-Man and Wolverine get on some moral high ground against anyone else in the future.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    asnidMN.jpg

QvE6B8t.jpg

hv7G5n8.jpg

Serial? That's pretty terrible, especially when it looks like Spock is doing pretty good getting a Zemo redemption treatment.

Just remember this week whenever Spider-Man and Wolverine get on some moral high ground against anyone else in the future.

I'm actually starting to wonder if they are hinting that while Peter's good is rubbing off on Ock, Ock's evil is also rubbing off on Peter.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    The argument they make about that is
    that Pym would be confident/arrogant enough to believe that having been warned, he would be able to build Ultron "properly" so that it didn't turn evil. Tony Stark even admits that he'd have done the same in Pym's shoes if he received such a warning.
    Yeah, arguing that it all hinges on Hank being a horrible person is very inaccurate.

It hinges on Hank being an arrogant person, which he always has been.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2013
    I think terrible is a broad enough term to cover disastrously arrogant people as well as others.

Robos A Go Go on
    I just think
    it's about time. He had to go.

I just think
    Uh
    We know he's alive by the end of the series. Has an epilogue one-shot and is one of the main characters of Avengers AI.

CYpGAPn.png
    True. And that sucks.

I disagree!

CYpGAPn.png
    I just think

no.

7656367.jpg
    avenging spider-man arc with pym and spock please

7656367.jpg
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Hank Pym should totally take over A.I.M.

I think Waid and Samnee have been doing the best Hank Pym I've seen, over in Daredevil. He pretty much just pops up as Matt's scientist pal.

Which is to say, can we just get a Mark Waid-written Hank Pym series?

He's writing the Hank Pym starring Age of Ultron epilogue in June.

CYpGAPn.png
    I just think

no.

Yes.

hank pym: accidental supervillain ongoing by waid and young

make mine marvel

7656367.jpg
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I just think

no.

Yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpaQpyU_QiM

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    Pretty fucked up that people blame a given character for all of the shit that was piled onto him. Busiek and Slott had the right idea with Pym, but Bendis bulldozed that shit to the ground.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Pretty fucked up that people blame a given character for all of the shit that was piled onto him. Busiek and Slott had the right idea with Pym, but Bendis bulldozed that shit to the ground.

I have been reading comics for a long time, and Pym's role in the longrunning soap opera that is the Avengers has been "the unhinged one" since at least the 1970s.

It is pretty much his defining trait.