As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Job/Employment/Making Money thread.

178101213100

Posts

  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I'd go to an arcade that had no games if it had free booze.

  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Avraham wrote: »
    Please follow my blog, white men holding cats dot tumblr dot com

    so angry this isn't really a thing.

    Picture2_zpsaa5b8fb3.jpg

    I approve of the idea. Gracie doesn't.

    tynicASimPersonSlacker71AnialosJaysonFour
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    I'd go to an arcade that had no games if it had free booze.
    of course

    it was great, i love work drinking events

    they are one of the best things about work

    just saying that those games would be better than the giant iphone games that are now a thing in arcades apparently

    poo
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    I'd go to an arcade that had no games if it had free booze.
    of course

    it was great, i love work drinking events

    they are one of the best things about work

    just saying that those games would be better than the giant iphone games that are now a thing in arcades apparently
    Yeah. I do not get this sudden uprising of phone games in the few remaining arcades.

    If I can play it on my phone for free, why should I pay your insane prices to... slap a giant screen.

  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    They're cheap to port and people who don't really play games will play them because they're familiar and in a social setting.

    Darth Waiter
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Junpei wrote: »
    smof wrote: »
    Job application in. Ugh. I think I did mostly okay, except one question was really hard and I know my answer was kind of lame. And my answer to the 3 year question was vague but at least it was honest. A couple of the other questions I feel pretty good about.

    The position has only been advertised internally so far so with luck there won't be many applications and I will at least get an interview. Then I guess it's just a case of showing that I am so super enthusiastic oh my god that they overlook my minimal experience.

    God I want this job.

    Good luck smof though I'm sure you don't actually need it.

    Thank you.
    Now I need to try and not obssess about it for a week. Haha, fat chance.

  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Kaplar wrote: »
    I'd go to an arcade that had no games if it had free booze.
    of course

    it was great, i love work drinking events

    they are one of the best things about work

    just saying that those games would be better than the giant iphone games that are now a thing in arcades apparently

    Yeah. I was once at an arcade that had bejeweled-type as a machine game. What?

    Kaplar on
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm just sleeping poorly or what...

    But I am so exhausted. I feel like my brain has been shut off.

    I've been the same all week.

    It doesn't help that work has been incredibly slow this week as we wait for a new design basis so I basically just stare at my inbox all day while nothing comes in.

    Gonna just start emailing you a conversation one word at a time.

  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm just sleeping poorly or what...

    But I am so exhausted. I feel like my brain has been shut off.

    I've been the same all week.

    It doesn't help that work has been incredibly slow this week as we wait for a new design basis so I basically just stare at my inbox all day while nothing comes in.

    Gonna just start emailing you a conversation one word at a time.

    Please don't.

    It's bad enough that yet again the old people are sending mass emails to the entire department about how they used to have to write fortran programs on punchcards back in the stone age.

  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I was joking.

    Kaplar
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I actually really like hanging out with *certain* work people.

    Unfortunately our team is always in transition and my co workers are all awesome or sycophantic morons

  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The guy that got me my current job is retiring in 3 working days. I am kind of freaking out. I've basically been training to take over his job for the last 6 months but I didn't have a concrete date for his retirement until like a week and a half ago. There is stuff he has taught me this past week that we have only gone over once, and might only go over once before he retires. It has been a ton of new information and while I feel that my fellow employees/bosses have been happy with my performance so far I'm still nervous. I'm not exactly freaking out about being out "on my own" once he's out of the office, but in also sort of freaking out.

  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    I am stuck in Michigan and would like to go home now.

    JaysonFour
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So, I've come to the conclusion that alot of the skilled unemployed are whiny bastards.

    I Graduated in 2001 with a BS in Computer Science, right after 9/11. a job opening i had an offer for was cancelled, and I ended up spending 18 months working crap jobs part time just so i could feel not like a total useless guy living with his parents.

    I was working part time in a retail store when i found the retail chain's HQ across the country had an opening for second level support/programming for its help desk. I applied and got the job and i was so damn happy to be on my own making barely 37k a year, which was okay but a little tight seeing as i had to start completely new in a different state far enough away from my entire family to need to be self-sufficient.

    Currently my work group is suppose to consist of 4 people, but we are at 2 due to two people leaving for other jobs at the same time. My boss has been trying to hire replacements. I happen to see part of an email on his desk which was the salary offer letter for the new people he was hoping to hire. They were going to start at around 45k and he told me later that one of the people had turned down the offer. (This isnt the first time since i started working here that he has had to go looking for replacement employees and had people turn down offers). in the 9 years ive worked here my salary has gone up over 20k a year, and I think thats fairly impressive given the economy. What the hell are people expecting in what is really an entry level job?

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    msuitepyon wrote: »
    I am stuck in Michigan and would like to go home now.

    Michigan isn't so bad, wait, yes it is. And I say that as one of the fortunate Michiganders that has solid employment.

    JaysonFour
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    That's a whole bunch of assumptions there azith, wow

    HacksawmightyjongyotynicAl_watASimPersonMadEddyFyndirThe Good Doctor TranTofystedethAnialosNeoTomaKetarRawkking GoodguyJaysonFour
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I'm a bastard, sure, but I don't think I'm that whiny

  • ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    Is azith rich enough to eat yet?

  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Yeah dude, what if that guy's got 12 kids and hospital bills and shit? You don't know that guy's situation.

    KaplarAl_watMadEddyFyndir
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    How dare the unemployed not take whatever pittance is offered by their benevolent superiors!

    P.S. 37,000 dollars in 2001 is equivalent to more than 48,000 dollars today.

    Brian Krakow on
    ASimPerson
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »
    msuitepyon wrote: »
    I am stuck in Michigan and would like to go home now.

    Michigan isn't so bad, wait, yes it is. And I say that as one of the fortunate Michiganders that has solid employment.

    I wouldn't be as upset if I hadn't spent all of yesterday sitting on my ass waiting for the weather to clear up and then half of this morning sitting on my ass waiting for the weather to clear up. FUCKING JUST LET ME TAKE MY DATA ALREADY GOD DAMN IT

  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Oh and did I mention that I've been in a hotel room this week with literally nothing to do. I watched three seasons of Archer and napped. Meanwhile, I talk to my wife back home who tells me that she's overwhelmed taking care of our 4-month-old and our animals. Oh and the 4-month-old has a god damned ear infection. So I feel like a total shitsack, too.

  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    If I were chronically unemployed, I'd be probably be whiny about it, because being chronically unemployed fucking sucks.

    Hacksaw on
    Erin The RedDay of the BearMadEddyFyndirRuby RhodAnialosBrovid HasselsmofDarth WaiterNeoTomaRawkking GoodguySatanic JesusJaysonFour
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So, I've come to the conclusion that alot of the skilled unemployed are whiny bastards.

    I Graduated in 2001 with a BS in Computer Science, right after 9/11. a job opening i had an offer for was cancelled, and I ended up spending 18 months working crap jobs part time just so i could feel not like a total useless guy living with his parents.

    I was working part time in a retail store when i found the retail chain's HQ across the country had an opening for second level support/programming for its help desk. I applied and got the job and i was so damn happy to be on my own making barely 37k a year, which was okay but a little tight seeing as i had to start completely new in a different state far enough away from my entire family to need to be self-sufficient.

    Currently my work group is suppose to consist of 4 people, but we are at 2 due to two people leaving for other jobs at the same time. My boss has been trying to hire replacements. I happen to see part of an email on his desk which was the salary offer letter for the new people he was hoping to hire. They were going to start at around 45k and he told me later that one of the people had turned down the offer. (This isnt the first time since i started working here that he has had to go looking for replacement employees and had people turn down offers). in the 9 years ive worked here my salary has gone up over 20k a year, and I think thats fairly impressive given the economy. What the hell are people expecting in what is really an entry level job?

    Lots of people turn down job offers. Most people apply for multiple jobs at once.

    Your frustration makes no sense. If the salary was an issue they'd negotiate, this just sounds like they have had a better offer elsehwere.

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    LTMShazkar ShadowstormButtersN1tSt4lkertynicASimPersonMadEddyFyndirAnialos
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Heart Warming Story Time!

    A man comes into the shop and is looking around at the flowers, I come up to him and say hello, we chat and he chooses some flowers for his missus and a rose for his little girl, "aww, what a nice guy!" I think. As I'm taking payment and he jokes about how his wife will be jealous of the rose his daughter has, a little boy bursts into the shop door quickly followed by his older sister and their mum. The little boy stares up at the man who says "Hello" in his accented English. Little boy goes bright red and just looks up at him awe struck. Their mum says "Would you mind, he's a huge fan, can they have their photo...?"

    I have never seen a man so happy to have his photo taken with a little boy and was so sweet to them, joking with them about how the little lad's top was the right colour. After he left it only goes and turns out he was one of the most famous footballers in the country and I didn't bloody recognise him. I have never seen a little boy look so happy in all my life - it really made my day!!

    YukiraUsagiSassorimightyjongyoFAQMorivethProbadMetalbourneJayKaosProlegomenaNaphtaliButtersJoeUserAeytherSkeithtynicASimPersonMadEddyErin The RedFyndirRuby RhodSlacker71KaplarIloveslimesTofystedethAnialosAngelinaOrikaeshigitaeFishmanDarth WaiterJaysonFourStranger Danger
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Today I am doing three different "aptitude" tests for three different employment agencies.

    I wish I had the problem of being able to turn down a 45k salary.

    Jesus azith, you sound awfully goosey there. Your blanket generalizations based on less than a handful of anecdotal evidence is obviously true.

    Obviously.

    Fyndir
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Maybe that 45k isn't competitive with other companies filling entry level positions?

  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Interview in one hour

    boop boop boop

  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Interview in one hour

    boop boop boop

    Good luck, man.

    Speed RacerMorivethpremiumYukiraNaphtaliHacksawSkeithKaplarMadEddyFyndirRuby RhodSlacker71AnialosBrovid HasselsmofDarth WaiterJaysonFour
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    msuitepyon wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »
    msuitepyon wrote: »
    I am stuck in Michigan and would like to go home now.

    Michigan isn't so bad, wait, yes it is. And I say that as one of the fortunate Michiganders that has solid employment.

    I wouldn't be as upset if I hadn't spent all of yesterday sitting on my ass waiting for the weather to clear up and then half of this morning sitting on my ass waiting for the weather to clear up. FUCKING JUST LET ME TAKE MY DATA ALREADY GOD DAMN IT

    Oh yeah, the weather here is just a big joke. I have seen 70 and sunny, 40 and rainy, and 25 and snowing all in the same day.

  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    How many words do you guys think a "short writing sample" should be?

  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    140 characters

    Fyndir
  • SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Job thread can I get some advice?
    Right now I'm working a job I don't like, but I make good enough money for being part time. What I want to do is work at a museum and on that front I applied and got a call back for a Visitor Services position. This issue is with the pay and hours they are offering I will most likely make half, maybe less, than what I am making now, barring working evening and weekend event that will inconsistent at best.

    I hate to make it an issue of simply money, but to be fair money is kind of important. I am hoping it'll be possible to leverage any experience into a full-time position eventually, but there's no guarantee when or if a full time position will open up.

    8EVmPzM.jpg
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Job thread can I get some advice?
    Right now I'm working a job I don't like, but I make good enough money for being part time. What I want to do is work at a museum and on that front I applied and got a call back for a Visitor Services position. This issue is with the pay and hours they are offering I will most likely make half, maybe less, than what I am making now, barring working evening and weekend event that will inconsistent at best.

    I hate to make it an issue of simply money, but to be fair money is kind of important. I am hoping it'll be possible to leverage any experience into a full-time position eventually, but there's no guarantee when or if a full time position will open up.

    You've just described every museum job :( You CAN turn that thing into a long time career, but funding for these sites are so low.

    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    How dare the unemployed not take whatever pittance is offered by their benevolent superiors!

    P.S. 37,000 dollars in 2001 is equivalent to more than 48,000 dollars today.

    Firstly, the job is in one of the lowest cost of living areas in the US, so no, what i started with was definately not poverty, but im definately not rich. what i am is borderline comfortable. Next, the cost of living has not increased by 11k in the last 12 years. prices may have gone up in this bad economy to some degree but 48k is 150% of poverty level in New York City, so in most other places its a pretty damn good starting salary.


    Next, people mentioning salary negotiations. if your wanting to negotiate what your starting salary should be when its an entry level position, unless you are a lawyer or doctor, yes, your being whiny. You dont get to complain about your paycheck when your alternative is to continue being unemployed with no experience.

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Maybe they have experience, but there's no better jobs available due to the shitty market. Maybe they have another job already, and were looking to see if the new choice would be better. Maybe you don't know what the situation is at all and writing off a huge group of employment seekers based on two overheard snippets is kinda dickish.

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    godmodeBrian KrakowUsagiASimPersonAnon the FelonFyndirRuby RhodDay of the BearAnialosJaysonFour
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Yea, I'm not getting the complaint with regard to those whiny unemployed. Are you annoyed that they turned down the offer and assume its because they would rather stay unemployed than accept an entry level position? Because I can pretty much assure you that is not the case for most people with degrees that can't find work in their field. Their problem is..... they can't find work in their field.

  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    azith28 wrote: »
    How dare the unemployed not take whatever pittance is offered by their benevolent superiors!

    P.S. 37,000 dollars in 2001 is equivalent to more than 48,000 dollars today.

    Firstly, the job is in one of the lowest cost of living areas in the US, so no, what i started with was definately not poverty, but im definately not rich. what i am is borderline comfortable. Next, the cost of living has not increased by 11k in the last 12 years. prices may have gone up in this bad economy to some degree but 48k is 150% of poverty level in New York City, so in most other places its a pretty damn good starting salary.
    OK I guess we'll pretend that your goosey gut feeling is correct and the Bureau of Labor Statistics is just making shit up (Thanks, Obama).

    Brian Krakow on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So, that interview went alright. Unfortunately I don't meet the requirements for the 32-hour a week position, but I may be offered the position that could be anywhere from 8 to 24 hours a week.

    I'm kinda torn, honestly. I could accept the job if offered and continue to get unemployment, and the job could turn into something more, so I don't know.

    I guess I'll hear back tonight, anyway.

  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I just looked at the clock and nearly wept aloud. This afternoon is absolutely crawling.

    rhylithjgeisSpeed Racer
This discussion has been closed.