As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving from SQL 2000 32 bit to 2000 64 bit and back again

MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
We are migrating our Websever to a new host. Currently it uses SQL 2000 32 bit, and talks to our in hours SQL 2000 32. Our web guy is asking if there would be a problem loading SQL 64 on the new web server (since the new box has 64 bit processors).

Now, I really know nothing about SQL, and all of my 32-64 bit knowledge is based on windows OS, not SQL. In my head, I don't see why it would be a problem. Would the 64 bit SQL have to change the databases? Or does the 64 bit SQL simply allow for use of the 64 bit processing and memory use?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Monkeydrye on

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/qna/0,289202,sid87_gci1161294,00.html

I'm of a similar background to yourself, but saw this topic and had a quick google.

Based on that document (SQL Server MVP) the only difference appears to be performance related, which would make sense.

The only thing I would note is that I'm betting your web guy is talking about SQL2005 64-bit, which may or may not have issues talking to your in-house SQL2000 installation.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No, we are sticking to 2000 for right now. The 2005 rollout is on hold.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Did I misunderstand the article? I thought from that you could only run 64 bit SQL 2000 on Itanium processors.

devoir on
  • Options
    GrygonosGrygonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    there's plenty better ways to get performance in sql server rather than upgrading to the 64 bit engine. With most database servers, the bottleneck lies in your hard disk I/O. However, since you say it's a webserver, I would presume you're dealing with a multitude of smaller requests as opposed to a few hardcore tasks.

You're running raid 10 I would hope? What's the rpm speed of your drives? The difference between raid 5 and 10 on the same hardware is staggering. The upgrade to 15k rpm drives is noticable as well. I know that's more costly, but if you're dead up sure on staying with 2000, I'd do that before trying to go 64bit, simply because the support for 2000 is waining, especially in 64 bit mode (unless I'm way out of the loop)

Grygonos on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I read the same thing Devoir. And it looks like the 64 bit one is gimped.

As for why we might upgrade...it is mostly an issue of our network admin being one of those people that is convinced thet you should always upgrade as soon as you can. Our databases are NOT that big, and by and large our server is hardly working at all.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GrygonosGrygonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Monkeydrye wrote: »

As for why we might upgrade...it is mostly an issue of our network admin being one of those people that is convinced thet you should always upgrade as soon as you can. Our databases are NOT that big, and by and large our server is hardly working at all.
    Well , with this in mind, I take back much of what I said. Tell your admin to stick a sock in it. Until you're pegging 100% cpu or full raid controller bandwidth on a semi-regular basis, you're fine.

Grygonos on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Grygonos wrote: »
    Monkeydrye wrote: »

Well , with this in mind, I take back much of what I said. Tell your admin to stick a sock in it. Until you're pegging 100% cpu or full raid controller bandwidth on a semi-regular basis, you're fine.

agreed nine-thousand percent

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack