As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, May 6, 2013 - The Young

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited May 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Yay for Fatherly Concern™!

• Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    This is the kind of parental behaviour that makes me want to bitchslap people into oblivion. Can't wait for the newspost, hope it's something that really happened and he really called the dad.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Yes, this is pretty much the proper response.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    FulgoreFulgore Registered User regular
    Reminds me of when I was 9 or 10 and I was playing Diablo II, good times :D

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Meh, Slenderman is a pretty appropriate form of scary for a kid.

Did you know in Red Riding Hood a wolf eats a woman?

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    I've never heard of Slenderman until now. Is it scarier than Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark? I don't know why I thought of that just now. The art in those books was really disturbing.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    rav4gerav4ge Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I've never heard of Slenderman until now. Is it scarier than Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark? I don't know why I thought of that just now. The art in those books was really disturbing.
    Oh my god, I know. I was flipping through that book recently, actually. Here, have a quick refresher:
    scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark-haunted-house.jpg

rav4ge on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    When I was teaching I had a kid who said her parents let her watch the television series Bones.

That's some good parenting.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What game is this?

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    This another example of me wanting a corresponding podcast :S

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Pfft I was raised on horror movies as a kid from gorefests like the original dawn of the dead to Halloween Slenderman is nothing.

I don't see the issue.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Gabe's second speech bubble in the first panel should be moved to the second panel to better match his expression.

Is Slenderman appreciably scarier than Goosebumps and all that stuff? I feel like kids love scary shit cos while they think it's real, they secretly know they're invincible. Adults who love scary stuff kind of approach it from the other end.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Literally said outloud, "What the fuck," to the kid's request. And I was pleased to see Gabe have the same response. Gosh I love this particular strip.

• Options
    815165 wrote: »
    Meh, Slenderman is a pretty appropriate form of scary for a kid.

Did you know in Red Riding Hood a wolf eats a woman?

Hansel and Gretel is about cannibalism

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    When I was teaching I had a kid who said her parents let her watch the television series Bones.

That's some good parenting.

Depends on how old the kid is. I mean...like 7 or 9. I probably wouldn't let a kid of mine watch bones. 11+ Meh. Depends on the kid.
    It all depends on what you view as scary. I think I was like 12 when my parents (my dad was a surgeon and my mother has been a surgical nurse among other things) were going over a video of open heart surgery at dinner.
    Other people have taken their kids hunting at age 8-10.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Could we please fucking spoiler/link horrifying pictures.

• Options
    Also, great comic.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Could we please fucking spoiler/link horrifying pictures.

Lives in a metal tube hundreds of feet underwater for months

Scared of a fictional creature.

<3 Quid.

• Options
    Thousands of pounds of water pressure is straight forward. Something breaks, it comes in, you die.

I don't have to worry about it popping out of a bush and ripping my jaw off because I walked in to the wrong house.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Is Slenderman appreciably scarier than Goosebumps and all that stuff?

HahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Yes.

• Options
    Thousands of pounds of water pressure is straight forward. Something breaks, it comes in, you die.

I don't have to worry about it popping out of a bush and ripping my jaw off because I walked in to the wrong house.

One actually has a chance of happening though!

• Options
    Yeah, that's what those kids renting a cabin thought too.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Gabe's second speech bubble in the first panel should be moved to the second panel to better match his expression.

Is Slenderman appreciably scarier than Goosebumps and all that stuff? I feel like kids love scary shit cos while they think it's real, they secretly know they're invincible. Adults who love scary stuff kind of approach it from the other end.

Slender is a game about being stalked by a strangly proportioned creature in dark woods that you can't even look at without him catching you. The games effect is pretty damn good the first time you play it and it is a very legitimately unsettling/scary experience. Goosebumps books don't even come close.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Oh you babbies you probably had nightmares about this too.

the_monster_at_the_end_of_this_book.jpg

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    For some reason I just got the idea of a "Cookie Monster devouring" image as a parody of 'Saturn Devouring His Son.' I'm sure it's been done before.

Disclaimer: If people are freaked out by things easily you don't want to look that up - and I can't decide if it counts as NSFW.

• Options
    I mean it is what it is man sometimes you just gotta devour your dang old son man.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

If there are bushes in the house, stay out. They need a landscaper.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I was on a plane next to a college-aged kid who, towards the end of the flight, booted up his laptop to play this game. He was right next to me, so I was able to see everything he did. He got scared repeatedly, jumping in his seat (very annoying on a plane) and when he died, he was actually short of breath.

I didn't see what the big deal is. It's an all-white boogeyman. There's scarier things in many kids stories, and I didn't really see what was so "adult" about slenderman (let alone what the big deal is). The game itself is like the archetypical "kids hiding on each other and going BOO" game.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what is a childhood without horror inappropriate for your age

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Full of restful sleep.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Full of restful sleep.

Sleep that doesn't involve a child wandering into mom and dad's room saying "can I sleep with you tonight?"

Inappropriate horror is clearly mom's clever way to thwart dad's efforts to get some action at night. Instead of "I have a headache" it's "oh, I let our small child watch the Japanese version of The Ring."

Bobble on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Now, I haven't played Slenderman but I have seen some LP's. That shit is not too scary/inappropriate for a small child. Comic's funny, but I don't see anything wrong with a child playing Slenderman.

Now if the little girl had asked Gabe to draw:

That melty face lookin mother fucker from Amnesia
    A Cacodemon
    One of those terrifying asthmatic guys from RE4
    Anything from Condemned: Criminal Origins
    Alma
    Superman from Superman64

Then I would want to call her dad up too... maybe social services as well.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    If she had asked for a picture of a clown, that'd be the real terrifying shit.

You don't want to see someone in a clown suit when you're walking home at one in the morning.

• Options

Total Recall and Terminator 2 fucked me up. T2 I ended up taking by the reins and owning that fear, but Total Recall still freaks me the fuck out.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Loved that comic.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Honestly if she isn't scared of Slenderman at that age, more power to her.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I almost felt like this comic was silly, then I did some self-reflection.

Tits and violence from ~7, yeah, no problems from that as an adult.

Straight-up horror? Shit, man, if I stay up too late or take in too much caffeine while I'm alone, lights are all coming on, doors are getting locked, closets are getting checked. And I still can't play horror games alone.

I start jotting down scenarios for a horror novel I'm planning, I get creeped and have to stop and go do something else.

edit: Though I do have anxiety issues as part of my mental ailments package (genetic stuff, not environmental), so I was probably unusually susceptible to problems with horror.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Total Recall and Terminator 2 fucked me up. T2 I ended up taking by the reins and owning that fear, but Total Recall still freaks me the fuck out.

I feel like the prostitute with the three boobs offsets Kuato in Total Recall.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    This comic is fantastic even if I don't agree with Gabe, good lord that's a good comic

I tend to view horror like Stephen King explained it once. When his son was very young, he would let the boy watch Salem's Lot. He would not let him watch Carrie. One is about vampires, which are just pretend. One is about a girl being bullied and then killing all of her classmates, which is not really very pretend at all.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Beep beep, Richie.