As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do In Boston and New York (plus Washington DC and Philadelphia)

Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton DrEdinburghRegistered User regular
So, my wife and I are going on holiday to the east coast of America at the end of May/beginning of June we'll have several days in Boston and several more in New York plus a full day each in Washington DC and Philadelphia. I thought given that PAX east happens in Boston forumers here would be well versed in the ways of the city.

For Washington we were planning on just taking in all the big monuments, you know, like the tourists that we are. There's also a bunch of obvious things to see and do in New York but are there any gems, odd museums or hidden away parks that forumers would recommend? For Boston and Philly we are more at a loss - what are the good tourist attractions that people have been to in Boston? I've got a dodgy knee so ultra-extreme-whitewater-invert-rock-climbing type activities are unfortunately out. I can walk around fine, I just can't do sports like activity on it.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Actually I just recently asked H/A about things to do in New York during that time period a few weeks ago, and got some excellent responses here. Maybe some of that advice can apply to you too.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    If you're going to be in Boston when the weather is nice, walking the Freedom Trail is a good way to see a lot of stuff. I live in New England and thought the Duck Tour would be dopey tourist schlock but I went on it and thought it was a lot of fun (this probably varies considerably depending on which guide you have, though). The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is beautiful, too (again, especially in the summer when you'll be able to go into the courtyard). Lunch at Quincy Market is another must.

All I really know in Philly is Independence Hall + the Liberty Bell + the Rocky steps at the art museum. :\

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    The best thing you can do in D.C. if you'll only be there for one day is walk up and down the mall and take in all the museums. It's the most bang for your buck (all of them are free and incredible).

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Things to do in Boston:

- Go to the Museums of Science and Fine Arts. They're actually awesome, especially Science. I mean you're in freakin Boston, of course the museum about science is going to be awesome.
    - Tour the campuses of whatever universities, the huge ones being Harvard, MIT, BU, and BC. They're like mini cities in the city but none of them are downtown. The campus of Harvard is pretty cool, although it would be weird going to school in what is essentially a museum. Lots of history there though; my favorite was finding this guy's name in the cathedral.
    - The Boston Common, basically the Central Park of the city.
    - Get something to eat on Hanover Street. If you're a tourist, get a canoli from Mike's. If you're a tourist but don't want to wait in line, get one from Vittoria's. (Cash only.)
    - The U.S.S. Constitution, but I'm not sure if it's open to the public or what.

Edit: And don't pronounce canoli like "CAN-OH-LEE". It's "CON-OOHL", the "i" is silent.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What things do you like? One of the best things to do in Boston is to go down to the South end on a summer night, grab some drinks and dinner and just enjoy it. Oh, and the Science Museum is amazing.

schuss on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    honestly i don't know about best tourist attractions in nyc

but i can recommend food, if you have any particular desires

where are you coming from btw?

poo
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Coming over from Britian to tour our former colonial possessions.

Foodwise my wife is vegetarian so restaurants and cafes with good vege options is a must, not necessarily completely vegetarian or vegan, just so that she has an optin of what to eat, or at least so the only options is guaranteed to be god damn delicious. Japanese food is popular with us, as is basically anything pan-Asain. We'd Never say no to Pizza or indeed a recommendation for a good italian, despite living in Glasgow for years which is littered with great Italian-cafes/coffee shops I've never never been to a really good Italian resteraunt.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Do a Segway tour of dc. You can cover a lot more ground that way. Cause the national mall is quite big and you may get wicked tired going from one side to the other.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Do a Segway tour of dc. You can cover a lot more ground that way. Cause the national mall is quite big and you may get wicked tired going from one side to the other.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

::gasp::

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Walk the mall, hit up the Air & Space museum and the natural history museum (or art museum of your choice) then walk around the tidal basin. Walk through the FDR memorial, which is on the tidal basin, view the MLK memorial, then walk through the Vietnam memorial and up along the reflecting pool to the WWII memorial.

It'll be a full day and your feet will hurt, but it's a pretty plain loop and you'll see many things.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Walk the mall, hit up the Air & Space museum and the natural history museum (or art museum of your choice) then walk around the tidal basin. Walk through the FDR memorial, which is on the tidal basin, view the MLK memorial, then walk through the Vietnam memorial and up along the reflecting pool to the WWII memorial.

It'll be a full day and your feet will hurt, but it's a pretty plain loop and you'll see many things.
    Or you can do it in 3 hours, have your feet not hurt, and go do something else, like go down to Arlington and go to the spy museum, which is awesome. Maximise your time and effort work smarter not harder.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    If you enjoy seafood you should visint Union Oyster House, which is the city's oldest restaurant. Fantastic Lobster dishes.

• Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Or you can do it in 3 hours, have your feet not hurt, and go do something else, like go down to Arlington and go to the spy museum, which is awesome. Maximise your time and effort work smarter not harder.

Agreed. I have never done the Segway tour myself, but I can absolutely say that the monument walk is long and exhausting. Alternatively, you could bike it. There's a service here called "Capital Bikeshare" that has tons of stations around the city. Never used it before, but I've heard good things.

If you're interested in a tour of the Capitol: I don't know if they've changed it since they opened the new visitor center, but when I went you got a ticket to come back at a specific time to go on the tour. If they still do it that way, go get your ticket first thing. Then you can go do whatever on the mall before the tour starts.

On the mall itself, there are not many options for food. Probably the best place to go for lunch and stay in the area is the cafe in the Museum of the American Indian. They actually have genuinely good food there! Try the fry bread... Absolutely terrible for you, but delicious.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Coming over from Britian to tour our former colonial possessions.

Foodwise my wife is vegetarian so restaurants and cafes with good vege options is a must, not necessarily completely vegetarian or vegan, just so that she has an optin of what to eat, or at least so the only options is guaranteed to be god damn delicious. Japanese food is popular with us, as is basically anything pan-Asain. We'd Never say no to Pizza or indeed a recommendation for a good italian, despite living in Glasgow for years which is littered with great Italian-cafes/coffee shops I've never never been to a really good Italian resteraunt.

Entriech's NYC thread will be very helpful for you. I also recommended some good Italian and Japanese restaurants in his thread. Quick recap:

For Italian, for a while I liked to point people to Frank's Restaurant in East Village. If you make it out to Brooklyn and are craving Italian, then you MUST go to Noodle Pudding. Go early, since they don't take reservations. Before you even browse through the menu, ask your waiter if the "Trust Me Menu" is available. If it is, then trust them with your stomach and wallet.

Do NOT go to the new Grimaldi's... either one of them. Just.. don't. Lombardi's is good, as is Di Fara (go before the old man quits making pizza!).

If your love for Italian is not limited to lunch and dinner, then you must swing by Veniero's for cheesecake, cannoli, and everything in between.

I highly recommend Kenka on St. Mark's. Arrive at 6 sharp, otherwise you'll be waiting for up to 45 minutes to an hour for seating. It's a Japanese beer hall/grill type of place. Everybody I've taken there have gone in asking "What the hell is this place?" (naughty posters on the walls, almost exclusively Asian clientele, everybody jabbering over each other, crazy menus), and walked out asking "Why the hell do we not have something like this back home?"

Something more intimate and quiet? Hasaki on 9th.

Want something more "foodie"? Then Ippudo for ramen (and a 1-hour wait).

<stereotype>If you're craving a taste of home, there's the Chip Shop for all your fish and chips needs.</stereotype>

Akilae on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    On the mall itself, there are not many options for food. Probably the best place to go for lunch and stay in the area is the cafe in the Museum of the American Indian. They actually have genuinely good food there! Try the fry bread... Absolutely terrible for you, but delicious.

Of all the recommendations I've ever followed, I'm sorry to say that the cafe at the Museum of the American Indian... did not live up. It's novel, but the food quality itself is not impressive. It's DC, you don't HAVE to limit yourself to the mall area. When my gf and I went to DC, we would spend the regular hours at the mall, and take the metro to places with better dining for lunch and dinner. A few recommendations:

Old Ebbitt Grill. Close to the White House. Good dinner for not bad prices. Make reservations.
    Occidental Grill and Seafood. A few blocks from Old Ebbitt. Good dinner for higher prices.
    Ethiopic Restaurant. Close-ish to Union Station. DC has a LARGE Ethiopian population, so from what I've heard the Ethiopian food is pretty authentic. We went to this place, and after you get over the initial shock of having to eat with only your hands, it's quite good and quite fun. A lot of the stuff on the menu is vegetarian-safe. Bonus if you can get good enough at it to feed each other.
    Cava Mezze. I believe their tapas is actually what people go for, but my bf and I found their other foods to be quite nice for a quick bite to eat.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    What things do you like? One of the best things to do in Boston is to go down to the South end on a summer night, grab some drinks and dinner and just enjoy it. Oh, and the Science Museum is amazing.

What constitutes Boston's "South End"? The internet is giving me conflicting advice on the matter.

• Options
    Incidentally thanks everyone for all the advice, especially the food recommendations.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'll second the museums in Washington. They're magnificent. Personally my wife and I can only really handle one of them in addition to all the monuments before getting really tired and if I had to pick one it'd be the National Museum of American History. It's our favorite just for the sheer range of subjects covered.

For food I really like Pi Pizzeria. My wife's vegetarian and likes them quite a bit. It's not mind blowing but it is good at a decent price with a really nice beer selection too.

Lincoln's Waffle Shop is a great hole in the wall American food place. It's not quite as vegetarian friendly but it's nice for a quick snack. Only downside is during peak hours it becomes PACKED. Like I'm pretty sure they're violating fire codes or something.

Quid on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i could say Totto ramen over ippudo by far if you're gonna have to wait

though Ganso in downtown brooklyn was really good also

but Cocoron in the LES has amazing soba which would be good for vegetarian also (though both those ramen spots have veg options)

Parm has real good italian sammiches

poo
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    I'd add that if you are in the DC area, the weather is nice, and you don't mind a bit of a Drive, checking out Monticello is pretty nice. The tours can be pretty interesting if you luck out with a good guide... and if not, it's still a pretty awesome house and the grounds around it are very nice.

It's a solid day trip to go there, see it, and drive back to the DC/NoVA area but it is just something else you may want to check out.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    In Philly, check out the Khyber Pass. Tons of awesome beers and delicious food. Great atmosphere too. And they have vegetarian options.

• Options
    I'd add that if you are in the DC area, the weather is nice, and you don't mind a bit of a Drive, checking out Monticello is pretty nice. The tours can be pretty interesting if you luck out with a good guide... and if not, it's still a pretty awesome house and the grounds around it are very nice.

Alas we won't have a car in any of the cities so limited to public transport and shoe leather.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Alas we won't have a car in any of the cities so limited to public transport and shoe leather.

There are some tour groups/buses that go from DC to Monticello:
    http://www.monticello.org/site/visit/transportation-to-monticello-washington-dc

Still a hike, but it's not impossible if you're in town long enough to make it worthwhile and it interests you.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

What constitutes Boston's "South End"? The internet is giving me conflicting advice on the matter.

Basically the area between Mass Ave, Columbus and E Berkeley St. near the back bay. Beautiful old streets/cafe's and some solid places to eat. Great to walk around in, but note there are no subways that go there (closest is probably the Prudential stop)

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    http://www.rinosplace.com/menu.html is close to the airport and pretty great. The place is tiny though, and really popular so your best bet is to try it if you're flying in/out at an off hour.

edit: If you do end up at the common, you might swing by chinatown. The bahn mi at https://plus.google.com/101370778768566941962/about?gl=US&hl=en-US is cheap and tasty. There's also a lot of baked goods there. There are a number of good and cheap restaurants there.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i strongly recommend han dynasty in philly. there's one in olde city (front and chestnut) and there's one in university city (uh... 37th and marketish?)

it is incredibly spicy authentic sichuan cuisine. best meal of my life, entrees <20 bucks

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I'll second the museums in Washington. They're magnificent. Personally my wife and I can only really handle one of them in addition to all the monuments before getting really tired and if I had to pick one it'd be the National Museum of American History. It's our favorite just for the sheer range of subjects covered.

For food I really like Pi Pizzeria. My wife's vegetarian and likes them quite a bit. It's not mind blowing but it is good at a decent price with a really nice beer selection too.

Lincoln's Waffle Shop is a great hole in the wall American food place. It's not quite as vegetarian friendly but it's nice for a quick snack. Only downside is during peak hours it becomes PACKED. Like I'm pretty sure they're violating fire codes or something.

Lincon's Waffle Shop was everything you'd said it would be and more. Nom, nom, nom. heading back there again.

• Options
    Akilae wrote: »

Ethiopic Restaurant. Close-ish to Union Station. DC has a LARGE Ethiopian population, so from what I've heard the Ethiopian food is pretty authentic. We went to this place, and after you get over the initial shock of having to eat with only your hands, it's quite good and quite fun. A lot of the stuff on the menu is vegetarian-safe. Bonus if you can get good enough at it to feed each other.
    Cava Mezze. I believe their tapas is actually what people go for, but my bf and I found their other foods to be quite nice for a quick bite to eat.

Ethiopic Restaurant was an awesome suggestion, thanks.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    If you're in New York for several days, I emphatically recommend seeing a Broadway show, even if you're from London and have West End available to you. If you have any preferences for kinds of shows, @ me and I can glance at what's currently playing to give you further recs. Off the top of my head Once just won several Tonys, it's supposed to be great.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Just did a NYC weekend trip. My latest find: PieFaceNYC.com

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Damn, philly has too much stuff to do! There's an exebition about Spies on just now and we might not have time to go! Museum of Art (the building attached to the Rocky steps) is amazing.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    I lived in NYC for six years, I would definitely recommend WALKING. I know this sounds silly, but go to cool neighborhoods (west/east village, alphabet city, whatever floats your boat) and just see what you find. Some of my best memories are of the random places that I would just stumble upon.

Also THIS PLACE They have this awesome cupcake & beer pairings. They also make savory cupcakes, which when paired with the selected beers is life changing