As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus | Steam Sale | Tremendous Video Game | Fuck Nazis

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited November 2017 in Games and Technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHht8480cEo

America, 1961. Your assassination of Nazi General Deathshead was a short-lived victory. Despite the setback, the Nazis maintain their stranglehold on the world. You are BJ Blazkowicz, aka “Blowjob,” member of the Resistance, scourge of the Nazi empire, and humanity’s last hope for liberty. Only you have the guts, guns, and gumption to return stateside, kill every Nazi in sight, and spark the second American Revolution.

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I actually enjoyed the last Wolfenstein. If they go in the same general direction as that one, it could be fun.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    What.

I guess that's neat. Though seriously crazy, not that I'm complaining, I don't think it's possible to make Weird War 2 stuff lame. It's just something I really wouldn't expect a big studio to make.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Could be good. Wolfenstein games a typically fun shooters.

They do seem to be playing it a bit too serious in that trailer, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Could be good. Wolfenstein games a typically fun shooters.

They do seem to be playing it a bit too serious in that trailer, though.

Playing it straight is what makes dumb stuff great for me.

Like all the propaganda stuff in Dino D-Day or Alloy of Law's victorian/mage news sheets.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    See, I don't really see why this is necessary, and this coming from a huge fan of id's works through the Quake 3 era. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was pretty much as spot on a Wolf game as there could be, and Raven's '09 one was enjoyable, but I don't see any need for a Wolfenstein game that ditches the goofy ideas of Nazi SCIENCE and dabbling in the occult and takes itself far too seriously. Especially one that's being made by a new developer, previous pedigrees of its founders aside (and I liked Riddick and The Darkness).

Seriously Zenimax, just let me know what's going on with Doom 4. Please tell me that John Carmack and co. are still working on, y'know, an actual game and not an engine they can showcase.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    What was the last Wolfenstein that had weapon upgrades and all that? I remember getting the bayonet on the rifle and just one shotting everything in my path. It was such a fun game.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    That was the '09 one - it was actually a nice change of pace from the usual linear level-based ones. There's a Let's Play of the game that shows off how lengthy and deep it really was. The Veil powers were kinda gimmicky in my opinion, but it was a solid title all around.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Video preview but not of the game - just some dude talking about it. Single player only, giant robot dogs, an insane asylum, and so on. They say they've taken the story in a "brave new direction" because they never played Turning Point: Fall of Liberty or read any Harry Turtledove. One interesting thing is that they say there will be a good amount of "adventure" gaming in the sense that you'll have time to wander around in non-combat situations exploring the environment.

• Options
    Turning Point was a cool idea. But you know... Codemasters

Sounds like the new Wolfenstein could be somewhat open-worldish. That could be fun.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I own the '09 Wolfenstein on Steam and it looks like I would have a lot of fun with it (for reference, I like the broadly similar and similarly overlooked Singularity quite a bit), but I have never been able to make it run properly.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    That last Wolfenstien was that one where it start off with normal Nazis and then you're fighting zombies and voodoo doctors and stuff, right?

Cause, yeah, give me more of that!

Also, that TF-ish multiplayer mode for that one Wolfenstien was badass.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    Iron Sky - The Game?

• Options
    Iron Sky - The Game?

That would be awesome. The final battle would be the best!

• Options
    Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yeah
    Lets totally shoot off a 10th of the moon with our doomsday cannon :D

Drunken Bastard on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I like Wolfenstein a lot.

But I think we can all agree it's called Castle Wolfenstein for a damn good reason.

Give me mountains and big German castles and rickety nazi laboratories of mad science. Maybe secret occult wars or 'lost missions' that were never official during the madness of WW2. I place Wolfenstein squarely in the middle of a line that runs from Indiana Jones to Hellboy and back and care not for this alternate future history drivel. Maybe somewhere else, but not here.

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I own the '09 Wolfenstein on Steam and it looks like I would have a lot of fun with it (for reference, I like the broadly similar and similarly overlooked Singularity quite a bit), but I have never been able to make it run properly.

You would like Wolfenstein '09. Both are from Raven, and are stocked with super powers and cool guns.
    That last Wolfenstien was that one where it start off with normal Nazis and then you're fighting zombies and voodoo doctors and stuff, right?

Cause, yeah, give me more of that!

Also, that TF-ish multiplayer mode for that one Wolfenstien was badass.

Zombies? Sounds like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which was the second to last one, with the big Nazi plan being summoning an ancient German warlord and whatnot. Last one was about alternate dimensions and super powers.

I've loved every Wolfenstein, but I don't know if I'll love this one. I love the idea of it, but I hate Starbreeze, I've played Riddick and Syndicate and found both had weak-feeling shooting and terrible story/interaction. So I have no hope for the notion of former-Starbreeze injecting themselves into this, leaving me with a cool setting, weak-shooting and terrible story/interaction (which seems to be more of their focus than the bang-bang BOOM parts, anyways). I have The Darkness sitting on my shelf, maybe it will convince me they're a capable studio.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    Klash wrote: »

You would like Wolfenstein '09. Both are from Raven, and are stocked with super powers and cool guns.

I got it during a Steam sale, probably last summer? And if I remember right, I think it would fuck up during install because of something do with Punkbuster? Maybe not, maybe I'm on crack. I'll have to try installing it again and see.

• Options
    I have The Darkness sitting on my shelf, maybe it will convince me they're a capable studio.

Duuuuude! Play The Darkness. It's very good, and The Darkness II is fucking excellent.

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    I got it during a Steam sale, probably last summer? And if I remember right, I think it would fuck up during install because of something do with Punkbuster? Maybe not, maybe I'm on crack. I'll have to try installing it again and see.

I have it on disc, which hasn't given me any trouble. If it's Punkbuster, I think you can install the game and say no to PB?
    I have The Darkness sitting on my shelf, maybe it will convince me they're a capable studio.
    Duuuuude! Play The Darkness. It's very good, and The Darkness II is fucking excellent.

Darkness II is a FANTASTIC game, but it's by a different studios who (based on what I've seen of The Darkness) streamlined and fixed the wonky mechanics of the first game. Darkness is definitely high on my to-play list.

I am, for some bizarre reason, really excited about the setting of this new Wolfenstein, though. Something about fighting mecha-Nazis while a Hendrix-based soundtrack roars just feels ridiculously fitting for Wolfenstein. The whole thing sounds like a really bad idea, but it's the perfect B-grade kind of bad idea that Wolfenstein thrives on. Just find a way to slip in some magic and we're set. Maybe give BJ the Six Million Dollar Man treatment to explain some cool gimmicks? Retro-future-cyborg BJ!

We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    Oh, you played Darkness II before the first one? That kinda ruins the first one for you a little bit =/

Anyway, Wolfenstein: New Order looks like it could be fun. But it feels to me like they're making a game similar in tone to FC3: Blood Dragon, only they're playing it way too seriously.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    New trailer is out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BlvfqfGTar4

I really like this one. Gets me pretty excited for this game.

BUT PLEASE JUST GIVE US ENEMY TERRITORY 2 with it, that's all I need to be happy.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm such a sucker for Wolfenstein

Does steam have Return to Castle Wolfenstein? That was my favorite.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Yup! $10. Will probably drop to $5 or less during the next summer sale.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I love that they picked the anniversary of D-Day to release their "Nazi doing the Nazi salute to the Nazi flag on the moon" trailer.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

If I'm not mistaken, Wolfestein: Enemy Territory is still free here, which basically has the expanded RTCW multiplayer that shaped TF2 so enormously. And you don't never need to get it through Steam (I assume that, since it's a free game, it's only being distributed this one way, but I have no idea).

• Options
    I love that they picked the anniversary of D-Day to release their "Nazi doing the Nazi salute to the Nazi flag on the moon" trailer.

Too soon?

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Also, are we sure the 2009 Wolfenstein game is on Steam? I never got around to playing it despite loving RtCW (and of course Enemy Territory), but I'm not seeing it anywhere. I see the original Wolf 3D and Return, but not the 2009 game. I'd love to grab it and add it to the backlog.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Also, are we sure the 2009 Wolfenstein game is on Steam? I never got around to playing it despite loving RtCW (and of course Enemy Territory), but I'm not seeing it anywhere. I see the original Wolf 3D and Return, but not the 2009 game. I'd love to grab it and add it to the backlog.

It used to be, but it was mysteriously removed sometime within the last year or two. Probably some sort of licensing issue. Maybe it'll be back someday.

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular

BUT PLEASE JUST GIVE US ENEMY TERRITORY 2 with it, that's all I need to be happy.

Single player only I believe. New trailer looks amazing but I was buying it regardless... cause Machine Games. Those dudes have made some of my favorite shooters, day 1.

• Options
    Nooooo don't tell me that. I need an official ET sequel.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options

Well you got Quake Wars and Brink. Which were more or less official sequels with a different coat of paint. Damn shame about Brink... I really liked the aesthetic.

• Options
    corin7 wrote: »

Well you got Quake Wars and Brink. Which were more or less official sequels with a different coat of paint. Damn shame about Brink... I really liked the aesthetic.

Brink was a damned tragedy.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Can we go without fucking troll thread titles?

• Options

LIKE I SAID, I need an official ET sequel.

:rotate:

Steam | Twitch
  • Options

That name still fills me with so much anger and sadness... I was so hyped for Brink.

• Options
    edited June 2013

That name still fills me with so much anger and sadness... I was so hyped for Brink.

I was so hyped for Brink I literally (literally) bought two copies.

Amazon's guaranteed release-day delivery failed and they didn't get my copy to me for like 2-3 more days, so I went out to Best Buy and bought another because I couldn't stand waiting any longer to play. Then when the Amazon copy showed I gave it away, to someone on the forum I think.

The one indisputably good thing Brink had going for it was the character customization. Dressing up your dude was amazing, especially since the art style made them look like action figures.

Everything else...

Agggh.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Maybe we should change the thread title to Brink support group. :( /hugs I feel everyone's pain. Maybe we should focus on the positives. The lead dudes from Riddick and The Darkness are making a new fucking Wolfenstein and it looks fucking badass!

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Based on the new trailer, the title should obviously be "Nazis in SPAAAACEEEE!!!"

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    A duck! wrote: »
    Can we go without fucking troll thread titles?

You say this like "Dumb alternate history Nazi shit" is a negative thing.