As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where the intangible meets the insubstantial: IP, international law and enforcement

spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filledRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
This is a spin off from the IP thread. In this thread, I would like to discuss how, if at all, first world countries should deal with violations of their citizens' IP rights by countries in the third world. In a perfect world, I think we would have an effective global IP authority which effectively enforces IP claims on the global stage, and which has the authority to do so through the use of a police power (think fines or possibly even jail time). Unfortunately, we don't have such an efffective body and it seems unlikely that we will in the forseeable future. And so we are left with a situation where people or corporations create valuable IP through the extensive expediture of time, resources and effort (a net good that we want to encourage) and people (or even governments) in the developing and third world make use of this IP without permission and without compensating the right holders. We have various methods to prevent this, but they are limited, both in scope and authority. Here is a decent site for the key primary documents:
International intellectual property law is a patchwork area of intersecting multilateral and bilateral agreements and their resulting harmonization of national laws. It has become an increasingly important and frequently litigated area, particularly in the patent, copyright, and trademark arenas. In addition, in the past few decades, there have been louder calls for the protection of domain names, databases, software, and traditional knowledge. Many of these cutting edge intellectual property issues are addressed on an international level through the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). Along with new forms of protection, the trend towards globalization in the trade arena has had a direct effect on the harmonization of national intellectual property laws through the World Trade Organization (WTO) and regional trade organizations. With increased interest in international intellectual property law, there are now numerous high quality electronic resources that cover various facets of this ever- changing area.

http://www.asil.org/erg/?page=iipl#h.gkkqy1f8w9do

It seems to me that we are essentially in a situation where we have placed the more powerful (as measured by military power, global influence and wealth) nations in a position where they are held at the mercy of the weaker nations who do not have as many IP creators, since they can violate IP laws and treaties with near impunity. The question that I want to discuss in this thread is what, if any, enforcement efforts or self help are justified on behalf of the stronger nations in this scenario when the international community process fails them. Should they be able to pursue economic sanctions? Press for trade embargoes? Engage in targetted military action? Full scale invasion?

To keep this discussion focused, I would like to limit discussion to IP violations where the violator simply copies someone else's creation (i.e., generic drugs, knock off hand bags, boot legged movies) and not IP violations where people use someone else's work to create something new.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    From the other thread:

Calixtus wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    You have no rights unless granted by a treaty, and where there is one a breach is typically not going to be considered sufficient cause for war. In the 1800s, sure, but not so much today

Plus, what are you going to do after you invade?

I guess you arrest the people copying the drugs and then leave. It isn't perfect, and obviously you try economic sanctions first, but the fundamental problem is that we make treaties with countries and then they flaunt their violations and there is no world government that can intervene effectively.

You accept piracy as a cost of business in China or India (where they literally pirate cars) but Chad? Mali? These aren't countries that offer us any advantages which justify the theft, as far as I am aware.

To be clear, this is not "SKFM thinks we should go to war over corporate profits." I just think that there is a general problem with relationships between sovreigns in the modern world, and IP infringement is just one way those problems manifest. If there is no other effective solution, I just don't think that we should throw our hands up and say that the poor nations stealing from the citizens of rich countries is some sort of intractable problem with no solution.
    What.
    I don't believe in universal human rights. I believe the only rights we have are those we can enforce against the government, which are essentially pools of safety from the government's monopoly on the lawful use of force. So outsiders do not have any inherent rights w/r/t foreign governments, unless said government has consented to those rights by treaty AND the government actually abides by said treaty. Many players in the international community disapprove of certain of [SOVERIGN ENTITY]'s actions, but the international community never sanctions [SOVERIGN ENTITY], and so even if those actions violate what look like rights acquired by treaty, they aren't violating true rights at all because the individuals have no recourse for the violation (only other countries do). Contrast this with the right to free speech in the US, which is actually enforceable against the government by an individual through the courts.
    So when the subject is intellectual property rights, its not about the money, its about "rights, treaties and laws". When the subject is human rights or the Geneva Convention, its not about "true rights", and treaties aren't real laws anyway.

I feel your stance on the validity of international treaties is somewhat contradictory.

I don't think there is a contradiction here at all. In the second quote, I was talking about what I see as the failure of the UN and other multinational bodies to approximate actual governments with actual laws. In this topic, I am talking about one expression of said failure. When you don't have an overarching body with an exclusive monopoly on the use of force (I.e., when talking about international relations instead of relationships between citizens of a single country) and one nation is breaching "international law", you can effectively only choose to assert force on your own (self help) or just give up. I do not see why we should choose the latter in this situation. Quite frankly, I find it perverse that we should have to so so at all in light of our vast financial and military superiority over most of these infringing countries. I called out China and India as the intractable cases because we cannot afford to do the same to them.

Edit: to be clear, in the second quote I focused on the lack of UN sanction of a sovreign as an indication that said sovreign could take what actions it likes, but that is of course limited to the point where your stronger neighbor demands that you stop, which is precisely what I am saying ought to happen here.
    ronya wrote: »
    A point:

We don't have morasses of secret bilateral military and economic treaties any more. We have large multilateral international institutions. There is only one WTO, for instance. The very deliberate purpose of such institutions is to prevent SKFM's particular worries from escalating into another World War One, by making it easy to negotiate for a synchronized boycott of nations that violate economic treaties. Getting booted from the WTO means losing Most Favoured Nation status with all WTO members, for instance, not merely the country you provoked.

Obviously such measures are flexible in the face of superpower(s), but I hope it is obvious why calling for the re-introduction of gunboat diplomacy to the world system is horrific. We don't, in fact, want a world where countries feel obligated to project power on their own. Miscalculation and then deadly war is inevitable.

Ronya - what do you say to the point I have raised in past threads about the perverse result where the weaker country can breach rules with impunity while the stronger nation must look on helplessly? We have agreements with nations that are vastly weaker than us regarding respecting IP rights. They breach them all the time without a care. International bodies are unable or unwilling to help. Why must it be that the end result of this scenario is victory for the weaker nation? It seems absurd to me.
    moniker wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Military action to press the interests of a corporation is absurd

Is military action to press the rights of a country's citizens against rampant, unrepentant violation by anothe country (which is a party to but ignoring IP treaties) really so absurd? It doesn't strike me as so.

It doesn't strike you as absurd to spend lives and shitloads money chasing a comparatively insignificant number of dollars?

It isn't just about money. It's about rights, treaties and laws. If the use of force (thereby giving credibility to the threat of the use of force) is what it takes, then so be it. It's one of the many problems with national relations (there is no effective arbiter to resolve these types of problems).

WIPO

But here's the thing, treaties are not the divine right of man writ into law. If your interpretation/enforcement of a treaty is screwing a country over then they can go ahead and just end their agreement. Then they aren't actually violating your government backed claim to intellectual property since they do not recognize it in the first place. Seeing how intellectual property isn't actually property, and given the inherently interdependent nature of discovery I'm not really seeing how coercion, let alone force of arms, is justified.

I think you know how strongly I disagree with the first bolded claim, but the second seems irrelevant here. We are not talking about third world scientists using IP they don't have a right to to further their research. We are talking about simple replication without a license. It's akin to a factory in China churning out exact copies of a designer hand bag. In this case, just as in the hand bag case, the factory owner is in the wrong, and if the government will not shut down that factory when asked, that is where I think sanctions are appropriate.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    You'll also have to contend with IP violations in the "first" world. Most obviously, file-sharing and unsanctioned peer-2-peer that certainly exists in the United States, Japan, United Kingdom and practically anywhere on Earth there are computers and Internet structure commonly available, and a demand for that kind of media.

The scale of this IP violation could be much smaller than, say, Indian reproduction of clothes or Chinese reproduction of cars, but there are two obvious issues: first off, we're dealing with a product that costs practically nothing to duplicate, and its entire value is tied up on its status as an intellectual creation (versus the Chinese auto plant that actually has to use its own resources to build a knock-off car, that is not a perfect duplicate either, and pays for that), and second, it's happening in your back yard. Americans are 'stealing' American songs, Japanese are 'stealing' Japanese movies, etc. Any sort of international IP enforcement that is not based on domestic IP enforcement would be the target of great derision and absolutely no loyalty, and rightly so.

I think that's an issue too.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You have no rights unless granted by a treaty, and where there is one a breach is typically not going to be considered sufficient cause for war. In the 1800s, sure, but not so much today

I guess you arrest the people copying the drugs and then leave. It isn't perfect, and obviously you try economic sanctions first, but the fundamental problem is that we make treaties with countries and then they flaunt their violations and there is no world government that can intervene effectively.

You accept piracy as a cost of business in China or India (where they literally pirate cars) but Chad? Mali? These aren't countries that offer us any advantages which justify the theft, as far as I am aware.

To be clear, this is not "SKFM thinks we should go to war over corporate profits." I just think that there is a general problem with relationships between sovreigns in the modern world, and IP infringement is just one way those problems manifest. If there is no other effective solution, I just don't think that we should throw our hands up and say that the poor nations stealing from the citizens of rich countries is some sort of intractable problem with no solution.
    What.
    I don't believe in universal human rights. I believe the only rights we have are those we can enforce against the government, which are essentially pools of safety from the government's monopoly on the lawful use of force. So outsiders do not have any inherent rights w/r/t foreign governments, unless said government has consented to those rights by treaty AND the government actually abides by said treaty. Many players in the international community disapprove of certain of [SOVERIGN ENTITY]'s actions, but the international community never sanctions [SOVERIGN ENTITY], and so even if those actions violate what look like rights acquired by treaty, they aren't violating true rights at all because the individuals have no recourse for the violation (only other countries do). Contrast this with the right to free speech in the US, which is actually enforceable against the government by an individual through the courts.
    So when the subject is intellectual property rights, its not about the money, its about "rights, treaties and laws". When the subject is human rights or the Geneva Convention, its not about "true rights", and treaties aren't real laws anyway.

I feel your stance on the validity of international treaties is somewhat contradictory.

I don't think there is a contradiction here at all. In the second quote, I was talking about what I see as the failure of the UN and other multinational bodies to approximate actual governments with actual laws. In this topic, I am talking about one expression of said failure. When you don't have an overarching body with an exclusive monopoly on the use of force (I.e., when talking about international relations instead of relationships between citizens of a single country) and one nation is breaching "international law", you can effectively only choose to assert force on your own (self help) or just give up. I do not see why we should choose the latter in this situation. Quite frankly, I find it perverse that we should have to so so at all in light of our vast financial and military superiority over most of these infringing countries. I called out China and India as the intractable cases because we cannot afford to do the same to them.
    Because it is blatantly obvious that the cost of enforcement could in no possibly way offset the losses incurred by the breaches, thus actual realpolitik - rather than what you usually like to veil in the guise of realpolitik - very, very clearly dictates that enforcement would be less-than-ideal.

When this was pointed out to you by shryke, you responded with
    It isn't just about money. It's about rights, treaties and laws.
    All of these three things are things you have previously expressed a complete disdain for in favour of what you've called realpolitik. Except, suddenly, when the subject is intellectual property law rather than human rights or the Geneva Convention, they matter. Now its worth killing and dying over the principle of it.

I dunno, maybe I shouldn't call this a contradicting stance. Maybe there's a better term. Maybe there's even a better term that won't get me infracted.

@calixtus - I think you misunderstand me. You are correct that I believe that rights are nothing more than powers that we can assert against a sovereign and which that sovereign will respect. but this limited conception of rights does not mean that a sovereign does not have a legitimate interest in protecting those rights against governments which do not respect them, as I see a sovereign's sole duty as protecting its people. If a nation is weak and cannot assert/protect the rights it has accorded to its citizens, then so be it. But where a nation is stronger than its opponent, why wouldn't it have an interest in asserting its citizens' rights against said opponent. You are taking something I said about Israel (which I believe has an obligation to advance the interest of Israeli citizens only) and trying to make it about why the Israel of this example would NOT have a justification to advance the interests of its citizens ahead of the concerns of another people.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    Hahahahaha you're advocating wars to enforce American IP law?

Jesus Christ I hope you'll be first in line to die for the glory of Apple

This is what it comes down to. SKFM, if you're not willing to pick up a gun and march into Chad or wherever to enforce apples claim to the iphone, you have no right to expect other people to. Which I suspect you do.

I am not willing to pick up a gun and march anywhere. That does not disqualify me from believing in the legitimacy of projections of military force.

Morally speaking, it kind of does. If you think a particular cause is worth someone elses life, but not yours, you're a hypocrite.

Still needs answering.

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »
    A point:

We don't have morasses of secret bilateral military and economic treaties any more. We have large multilateral international institutions. There is only one WTO, for instance. The very deliberate purpose of such institutions is to prevent SKFM's particular worries from escalating into another World War One, by making it easy to negotiate for a synchronized boycott of nations that violate economic treaties. Getting booted from the WTO means losing Most Favoured Nation status with all WTO members, for instance, not merely the country you provoked.

Obviously such measures are flexible in the face of superpower(s), but I hope it is obvious why calling for the re-introduction of gunboat diplomacy to the world system is horrific. We don't, in fact, want a world where countries feel obligated to project power on their own. Miscalculation and then deadly war is inevitable.

Ronya - what do you say to the point I have raised in past threads about the perverse result where the weaker country can breach rules with impunity while the stronger nation must look on helplessly? We have agreements with nations that are vastly weaker than us regarding respecting IP rights. They breach them all the time without a care. International bodies are unable or unwilling to help. Why must it be that the end result of this scenario is victory for the weaker nation? It seems absurd to me.

During the 19th century individuals and companies in the US breached the IP rights of British and other European industrial patents, and of British literature copyrights despite frequent complaints. Though a land invasion would have been impossible, the differential in naval strength would have made blockaded the US coastline and shelling places like Manhattan into oblivion trivial. Should the Europeans have done so? If not why not? Is it only bad when its other people using stuff you've called dibs on?

@Dis' - I think they should have balanced the interests, and decided if it was worth it. Like I said in the other topic, I do not think that a full scale invasion (or likely any military force at all) would really be needed. I strongly suspect that economic sanctions could be effective in most cases, and in the cases where the problem is intractable (i.e., China, India) the cost of attempting to solve the problem would be catastrophic. No one (not even I) would want to see the world burn or a world war begin over IP infringement.

• Options
    A point:

During the 19th century individuals and companies in the US breached the IP rights of British and other European industrial patents, and of British literature copyrights despite frequent complaints. Though a land invasion would have been impossible, the differential in naval strength would have made blockaded the US coastline and shelling places like Manhattan into oblivion trivial. Should the Europeans have done so? If not why not? Is it only bad when its other people using stuff you've called dibs on?

@Dis' - I think they should have balanced the interests, and decided if it was worth it. Like I said in the other topic, I do not think that a full scale invasion (or likely any military force at all) would really be needed. I strongly suspect that economic sanctions could be effective in most cases, and in the cases where the problem is intractable (i.e., China, India) the cost of attempting to solve the problem would be catastrophic. No one (not even I) would want to see the world burn or a world war begin over IP infringement.

But cluster bombing a village in Yemen because someone is selling knockoff iphones there is kosher, right?

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    You'll also have to contend with IP violations in the "first" world. Most obviously, file-sharing and unsanctioned peer-2-peer that certainly exists in the United States, Japan, United Kingdom and practically anywhere on Earth there are computers and Internet structure commonly available, and a demand for that kind of media.

The scale of this IP violation could be much smaller than, say, Indian reproduction of clothes or Chinese reproduction of cars, but there are two obvious issues: first off, we're dealing with a product that costs practically nothing to duplicate, and its entire value is tied up on its status as an intellectual creation (versus the Chinese auto plant that actually has to use its own resources to build a knock-off car, that is not a perfect duplicate either, and pays for that), and second, it's happening in your back yard. Americans are 'stealing' American songs, Japanese are 'stealing' Japanese movies, etc. Any sort of international IP enforcement that is not based on domestic IP enforcement would be the target of great derision and absolutely no loyalty, and rightly so.

I agree completely, and would support much greater enforcement efforts against first world infringement of IP.

This is what it comes down to. SKFM, if you're not willing to pick up a gun and march into Chad or wherever to enforce apples claim to the iphone, you have no right to expect other people to. Which I suspect you do.

I am not willing to pick up a gun and march anywhere. That does not disqualify me from believing in the legitimacy of projections of military force.

Morally speaking, it kind of does. If you think a particular cause is worth someone elses life, but not yours, you're a hypocrite.

Still needs answering.

Do as I say not as I do is a valid position to hold. My own failings do not invalidate my positions anymore than Peter Singer's ownership of many homes invalidates his views on charity and culpability.
    A point:

But cluster bombing a village in Yemen because someone is selling knockoff iphones there is kosher, right?

I doubt very much that it would e et be neccesary. If it is, would that level of force be justified? I'm not sure to be honest. I just can't imagine actual force being needed outside if force sanctioned by the target nation because it has acknowledged it cannot enforce effectively on its own.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Military action covers a lot of ground.

Cluster bombing villages because someone has a knock-off handbag isn't really what anyone is talking about here, it's so much strawman and hyperbole that it's ridiculous.

In my mind, various forms of military intervention fall near the far end of the 'acceptable action' spectrum. I think there are going to be very few cases where military action would actually make sense - the harm is very rarely going to make that a rational response. Military action is expensive in direct and political costs, it's going to be particularly effective against most IP theft, the optics are probably going to be terrible, and there are other avenues that are simply...better.

But, military action is at the end of a spectrum that starts at 'politely worded letters' and ranges through a whole host of diplomatic and economic actions. I would think bombing a village that's sewing Armeni handbags to sell on the streets of NYC is absurd and counterproductive, but I can't say it's entirely outside the realm of possibility that a navy would interdict and seize a cargo ship full of counterfeit goods. That's still military action, and I could see an extreme situation where that would be justifiable. Or maybe a smart bomb (or satchel charge) hitting the North Korean facility that houses their $100 bill manufacturing program.

In general though, IP theft in the 3rd world is going to be so pointless to counter that it's effectively meaningless. The amount of profits being lost are negligible and in a lot of cases the IP holders choose to not even enter or compete in those markets. There are a variety of methods IP holders can use to 'protect' their brand from counterfeits shipped to the 1st world - branding, holograms, consumer information, legal action within the first world, etc.

It's a bit different with copyright, but for patented items / technologies, by electing to remain outside of these 3rd world markets, IP holders have effectively ceded the market. Basically, if they refuse to enter a given market under the laws that govern that market, they can't suffer harm when someone else does. Without harm / damages, there really isn't much of a claim.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular

What.

Because it is blatantly obvious that the cost of enforcement could in no possibly way offset the losses incurred by the breaches, thus actual realpolitik - rather than what you usually like to veil in the guise of realpolitik - very, very clearly dictates that enforcement would be less-than-ideal.

All of these three things are things you have previously expressed a complete disdain for in favour of what you've called realpolitik. Except, suddenly, when the subject is intellectual property law rather than human rights or the Geneva Convention, they matter. Now its worth killing and dying over the principle of it.

I dunno, maybe I shouldn't call this a contradicting stance. Maybe there's a better term. Maybe there's even a better term that won't get me infracted.

@calixtus - I think you misunderstand me. You are correct that I believe that rights are nothing more than powers that we can assert against a sovereign and which that sovereign will respect. but this limited conception of rights does not mean that a sovereign does not have a legitimate interest in protecting those rights against governments which do not respect them, as I see a sovereign's sole duty as protecting its people. If a nation is weak and cannot assert/protect the rights it has accorded to its citizens, then so be it. But where a nation is stronger than its opponent, why wouldn't it have an interest in asserting its citizens' rights against said opponent. You are taking something I said about Israel (which I believe has an obligation to advance the interest of Israeli citizens only) and trying to make it about why the Israel of this example would NOT have a justification to advance the interests of its citizens ahead of the concerns of another people.
    You're assuming "strength" is a viable substitute for "cost" in a cost-benefit analysis. It really isn't.

The interests of the government of Rich Nation in this case is to not to protect the IP of a small subset of its population, because protection would incur costs larger than the benefits. Those costs would also be spread to entites who wouldn't be reaping the majority of those benefits anyway.

Put it like this: You can't coherently make the case that a government has an obligation to its people that allows it to ignore a treaty they have signed, while claiming that the same government has an obligation to enforce a treaty even when doing that enforcing doesn't benefit the people. One is the negation of the other. Hence, the government of Rich Nation has no obligation to enforce a treaty for the sake of enforcing a treaty. Hence, the cost-benefit analysis must take precedent, see above. Hence, no significant action is warranted. Maybe some punitive customs tax somewhere?

And operating under your expressed framework of moral behaviour for nations, it is even easier to demonstrate why the government of Poor Nation shouldn't give a toss about IP rights - because actually abiding by those treaties (or in some cases, signing them in the first place) would be a gross betrayal of their own people.

(One could also point out that there are many different versions of strength, and this
    ... nations in a position where they are held at the mercy of the weaker nations who do not have as many IP creators, since they can violate IP laws and treaties with near impunity.
    is basically you first enshrining "Might Makes Right" as the most hallowed principle of international relations and then complaining about someone "breaking the rules" when they realize that having nothing to lose gives you a very special kind of strength)

-This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • Options
    zagdrob wrote: »

Cluster bombing villages because someone has a knock-off handbag isn't really what anyone is talking about here, it's so much strawman and hyperbole that it's ridiculous.

In my mind, various forms of military intervention fall near the far end of the 'acceptable action' spectrum. I think there are going to be very few cases where military action would actually make sense - the harm is very rarely going to make that a rational response. Military action is expensive in direct and political costs, it's going to be particularly effective against most IP theft, the optics are probably going to be terrible, and there are other avenues that are simply...better.

But, military action is at the end of a spectrum that starts at 'politely worded letters' and ranges through a whole host of diplomatic and economic actions. I would think bombing a village that's sewing Armeni handbags to sell on the streets of NYC is absurd and counterproductive, but I can't say it's entirely outside the realm of possibility that a navy would interdict and seize a cargo ship full of counterfeit goods. That's still military action, and I could see an extreme situation where that would be justifiable. Or maybe a smart bomb (or satchel charge) hitting the North Korean facility that houses their $100 bill manufacturing program.

In general though, IP theft in the 3rd world is going to be so pointless to counter that it's effectively meaningless. The amount of profits being lost are negligible and in a lot of cases the IP holders choose to not even enter or compete in those markets. There are a variety of methods IP holders can use to 'protect' their brand from counterfeits shipped to the 1st world - branding, holograms, consumer information, legal action within the first world, etc.

It's a bit different with copyright, but for patented items / technologies, by electing to remain outside of these 3rd world markets, IP holders have effectively ceded the market. Basically, if they refuse to enter a given market under the laws that govern that market, they can't suffer harm when someone else does. Without harm / damages, there really isn't much of a claim.

I agree completely until the last two paragraphs. Waiting and timing your entry into a market is valid. Apple, Sony, etc all release products in different markets at different times. I don't see how that makes IP violation acceptable until the day their marketing plan calls for a local roll out.

What if the IP holder is participating, but the market has been inundated with knock offs for years and so even the discounted price is "too high" by local standards because they are used to bear free? Is that not a harm?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Let me make a basic point: if a foreign country insists that it's going to nationalize something that you think belongs to your own citizens, the correct answer is to file a protest with the ICJ and possibly the WTO, and threaten sanctions. The incorrect answer is to initiate regime change. This applies to banana plantations and medical patents both. Just so we're clear.

Note that the WTO can, and has, ruled that a violation in one industry can be met with sanctions in another. This one was making rounds about the internet not long ago.

Now as for the claim that strong nations are structuring IP law in a way that places them at the mercy of weaker nations with fewer IP holders, I think this claim has to be more concretely established. It could be equivalently said that strong nations are structuring IP law in a way that favours countries with more IP holders. The US's ever-extending copyright term lengths is particularly egregious, but I suggest that you might want to reflect whether, say, importing the European notion of moral rights would be desirable in your own country. They are indisputably even stronger than American IP rights; they are so strong that they are inalienable and the creators cannot sell these rights for financial compensation.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options

What.

You're assuming "strength" is a viable substitute for "cost" in a cost-benefit analysis. It really isn't.

The interests of the government of Rich Nation in this case is to not to protect the IP of a small subset of its population, because protection would incur costs larger than the benefits. Those costs would also be spread to entites who wouldn't be reaping the majority of those benefits anyway.

Put it like this: You can't coherently make the case that a government has an obligation to its people that allows it to ignore a treaty they have signed, while claiming that the same government has an obligation to enforce a treaty even when doing that enforcing doesn't benefit the people. One is the negation of the other. Hence, the government of Rich Nation has no obligation to enforce a treaty for the sake of enforcing a treaty. Hence, the cost-benefit analysis must take precedent, see above. Hence, no significant action is warranted. Maybe some punitive customs tax somewhere?

And operating under your expressed framework of moral behaviour for nations, it is even easier to demonstrate why the government of Poor Nation shouldn't give a toss about IP rights - because actually abiding by those treaties (or in some cases, signing them in the first place) would be a gross betrayal of their own people.

(One could also point out that there are many different versions of strength, and this
    ... nations in a position where they are held at the mercy of the weaker nations who do not have as many IP creators, since they can violate IP laws and treaties with near impunity.
    is basically you first enshrining "Might Makes Right" as the most hallowed principle of international relations and then complaining about someone "breaking the rules" when they realize that having nothing to lose gives you a very special kind of strength)

Please note that I have said throughout that an actual attack, let alone an invasion, is near unthinkable. Embargoes, sanctions or even blockades seem much more plausible. If direct force were actually used, I can only conceive of it being something like the infringing nation saying it lacks the police power to deal with the problem, and offering to allow the US or the other objecting nation to step in and assist in a police style action.

I would also point out that governments are not beholden to strict cost benefit analysis when determining what furthers the interests of its people. In fact, governments often intercede in other nation's affairs in a way that is probably detrimental to the nation as a whole when individual citizens get embroiled in trials or other situations in other countries.

The special kind of strength you are referring to is only borne of a perverse situation where the global powers have agreed to lay down their arms in exchange for a process which is not capable of solving disputes. This is the entire concept that I am challenging.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I agree completely until the last two paragraphs. Waiting and timing your entry into a market is valid. Apple, Sony, etc all release products in different markets at different times. I don't see how that makes IP violation acceptable until the day their marketing plan calls for a local roll out.

What if the IP holder is participating, but the market has been inundated with knock offs for years and so even the discounted price is "too high" by local standards because they are used to bear free? Is that not a harm?

I agree that waiting and timing your entry into a market is a valid strategy, but by choosing that strategy you also accept the inherent risks that come with it. Just like how aiming for early entry into a market / simultaneous worldwide release of a product can result in additional regulatory costs vs. introducing a product into new markets once it's already established. Maximizing profit and minimizing risk is the duty of a given business, not the duty of a host government.

If a company chooses to wait to enter a given market, and in doing so allows it to become so saturated with 'knock off' products that they can't penetrate the market...well, that's the cost of doing business. I would suggest they reconsider their strategy in the future, or find a way to add enough additional value in their products that their potential customers will be interested in the future.

Now, I'll say again that I consider there to be a bit of difference between something with a copyright and something like a drug, gene sequence, or industrial process. The item with a copyright was something CREATED, while the drug, gene sequence, industrial process, recipe, etc was something DISCOVERED. I am...not in agreement with your opinion regarding copyright, but much closer to your opinion with something created vs. discovered.

Either way though, IP laws exist for the purpose of encouraging further discoveries or creations for the purpose of benefiting and enriching humanity. The fact that they protect profits is incidental to that purpose. Anytime profits / property rights are at odds with the purpose of benefiting / enriching humanity, the rights of the property holder should invariably be secondary. Granted that a lot of the benefit / enrich humanity is either intangible or needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    Let me make a basic point: if a foreign country insists that it's going to nationalize something that you think belongs to your own citizens, the correct answer is to file a protest with the ICJ and possibly the WTO, and threaten sanctions. The incorrect answer is to initiate regime change. This applies to banana plantations and medical patents both. Just so we're clear.

Note that the WTO can, and has, ruled that a violation in one industry can be met with sanctions in another. This one was making rounds about the internet not long ago.

Now as for the claim that strong nations are structuring IP law in a way that places them at the mercy of weaker nations with fewer IP holders, I think this claim has to be more concretely established. It could be equivalently said that strong nations are structuring IP law in a way that favours countries with more IP holders. The US's ever-extending copyright term lengths is particularly egregious, but I suggest that you might want to reflect whether, say, importing the European notion of moral rights would be desirable in your own country. They are indisputably even stronger than American IP rights; they are so strong that they are inalienable and the creators cannot sell these rights for financial compensation.

Do you dispute that these international bodies are ineffective in this regard though? I'm aware of the process. I just think it is a process which simply does not work, and I question why the stronger parties should continue to participate in a process which does not work at all for them, while the weaker parties freely take pot shots at them.

My preferred solution would be an international system of intellectual property laws, enforced by a body with real authority.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

It is an issue, but all those first world nations are taking steps, sometimes draconian steps, to protect IP holders. I think it is a significantly different issue from IP infringement which has the explicit (Indian generic drugs) or tacit (let's be really generous and say chinese iClones) government approval. It is extremely hard to stamp out digital piracy, but first world nations are making a best effort to prevent it.

Generally these sort of violations don't require external pressure to ensure enforcement, though a greater degree of cooperation could help with efficacy of enforcement efforts.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Do as I say not as I do is a valid position to hold. My own failings do not invalidate my positions anymore than Peter Singer's ownership of many homes invalidates his views on charity and culpability.

You're advocating going to war over IP rights but expect others to do the fighting for you.This is quite different from Peter Singer owning multiple homes while doing charities. At least he's man enough to do something worthwhile with his resources to help benefit the world. You're no Peter Singer. Being wealthy and doing charities doesn't make him a hypocrite. It won't be the corporation's sons and daughters sacrificing their lives over this it'll be the middle class and the poor. Their lives should be worth more than that. Like I said in the previous thread - good luck selling that to the public.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Still needs answering.

A point:

I doubt very much that it would e et be neccesary. If it is, would that level of force be justified? I'm not sure to be honest. I just can't imagine actual force being needed outside if force sanctioned by the target nation because it has acknowledged it cannot enforce effectively on its own.

We may just have to agree to disagree on this one SKFM, personally I feel that if a war doesn't pass the test of "am I willing to fight and perhaps die for this cause" it isn't worth fighting. I certainly would never consider sending someone else’s son/husband/father to die for something I don't feel is worth my life. And lets not beat around the bush here, we may not be talking about cluster bombing villages, but we are talking about using lethal force to enforce copyright which to me is insane.

It's like having someone shot for stealing a purse, it's utterly disproportionate to the crime.

• Options
    edited May 2013

Do you dispute that these international bodies are ineffective in this regard though? I'm aware of the process. I just think it is a process which simply does not work, and I question why the stronger parties should continue to participate in a process which does not work at all for them, while the weaker parties freely take pot shots at them.

My preferred solution would be an international system of intellectual property laws, enforced by a body with real authority.

On the contrary, operating in a multilateral forum that is merely dominated by the US gives the US far better options than operating in a bilateralized atmosphere with a coterie of powers conspiring against it and each other. Giving even weaker countries more influence that they would otherwise have through these forums is part of the costs of negotiated peace.

It is still the case that the domestic politics of every nation desperately want to return to interwar autarky. Nobody likes value-added imports. Everyone likes exports. The primary role of trade institutions here is to play off the strong domestic desires of powerful states into accepting that the price of being able to export anything at all is that someone must import something, and unless we wish to revert to the imperial era of captive colonial markets, there are no such countries. Every country is going to prefer to close their borders for temporary gains. What is the awesome might of the US navy going to do then? Sail its black ships into harbours again?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Copied from the previous thread:
    shryke wrote: »
    It's not even complicated:

The cost of violently enforcing IP law on other states (cause that's what it would take) is not even close to being worth the gain.

You don't think that a trade embargo and withholding of all foreign aid could get a country to stop? I mean, that isn't practical for China or India (but this problem is probably intractable in those cases anyway) but for countries that we give much more in aid than we get back from them in trade relationships or other relationships? I would like to think we could win in at least some of these cases based on economic sanctions alone.

There's to little to gain politically for that. It only escalates tensions which would fray the alliance or treaties further. Worst case scenario - it becomes a hot war. Over IP rights. Good luck selling that to the public.

edit: Winning comes with a cost America can't pay. We're still recovering from an economic implosion, unemployment is still high, the wealthy aren't pitching in to help to get he country on track and the military has been treated like shit for years by Dubya. Assuming you do win, then what? You expect the military to be there indefinitely or create an Iraq situation? What if its several countries simultaneously? Do you expect America to take them all on at once and become its occupation force? What if America gets into a large scale war that's needed - like Afghanistan was? So many reasons why this is bad logic. Any countries we do this too will no longer be in the labor business for big business. That'll effect their bottom line further. They'll have to find other ways to exploit sweatshops and child labor.

• Options

I agree that waiting and timing your entry into a market is a valid strategy, but by choosing that strategy you also accept the inherent risks that come with it. Just like how aiming for early entry into a market / simultaneous worldwide release of a product can result in additional regulatory costs vs. introducing a product into new markets once it's already established. Maximizing profit and minimizing risk is the duty of a given business, not the duty of a host government.

If a company chooses to wait to enter a given market, and in doing so allows it to become so saturated with 'knock off' products that they can't penetrate the market...well, that's the cost of doing business. I would suggest they reconsider their strategy in the future, or find a way to add enough additional value in their products that their potential customers will be interested in the future.

Now, I'll say again that I consider there to be a bit of difference between something with a copyright and something like a drug, gene sequence, or industrial process. The item with a copyright was something CREATED, while the drug, gene sequence, industrial process, recipe, etc was something DISCOVERED. I am...not in agreement with your opinion regarding copyright, but much closer to your opinion with something created vs. discovered.

Either way though, IP laws exist for the purpose of encouraging further discoveries or creations for the purpose of benefiting and enriching humanity. The fact that they protect profits is incidental to that purpose. Anytime profits / property rights are at odds with the purpose of benefiting / enriching humanity, the rights of the property holder should invariably be secondary. Granted that a lot of the benefit / enrich humanity is either intangible or needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

It's really not even the profits I care about protecting so much as the right to exclusive control over your property. I see this as much the same to a foreign government seizing all of my property once I cross the border, and I would expect the US government to back me up there.

I agree that if all we care about (as is the case under our current regime) is incentiving work, then we don't need to be terribly concerned with these types of issues in poor countries because people are still creating IP anyway. The problem really becomes the bleed over into grey markets, which itself may well warrant action by first world governments where other countries are not being zealous enough (think a purse of sunglasses knock off factory in a country we aren't as tied to as China or India which is shipping a lot of these goods to the US).

• Options

Still needs answering.

A point:

We may just have to agree to disagree on this one SKFM, personally I feel that if a war doesn't pass the test of "am I willing to fight and perhaps die for this cause" it isn't worth fighting. I certainly would never consider sending someone else’s son/husband/father to die for something I don't feel is worth my life. And lets not beat around the bush here, we may not be talking about cluster bombing villages, but we are talking about using lethal force to enforce copyright which to me is insane.

It's like having someone shot for stealing a purse, it's utterly disproportionate to the crime.

By that rational, the only war that I can support is a war to protect my wife and family, because I'm not prepared to put my life on the line for anything else, but I don't think that precludes me from discussing these matters.

I think its well established that I'm not much concerned with proportionality of punishments, but that is a whole other topic I'd prefer to avoid.

You're advocating going to war over IP rights but expect others to do the fighting for you.This is quite different from Peter Singer owning multiple homes while doing charities. At least he's man enough to do something worthwhile with his resources to help benefit the world. You're no Peter Singer. Being wealthy and doing charities doesn't make him a hypocrite. It won't be the corporation's sons and daughters sacrificing their lives over this it'll be the middle class and the poor. Their lives should be worth more than that. Like I said in the previous thread - good luck selling that to the public.

I am not advocating going to war over IP. I am advocating using non-military and (worse case) military sanctions/actions, but nothing like a war or invasion. I can't imagine things ever coming to that, and if they did, I can't imagine it being worth it, no matter how value is measured. What I could see happening is a military blockade of a nation's ports though, or seizing their shipping methods to prevent them from shipping pirated goods. I could also see police style efforts (with the countries support) to root out the offending people and factories. These are all very different from the full blown war you seem to be imagining.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Imagining limited escalation of war is farcial, and blockades have been considered acts of war since acts of war were a thing. Controlled theatres are a luxury enjoyed by belligerent nations who don't have to worry about all the third parties they are making nervous with all those soldiers being mobilized. If you make war a standard way of achieving brief material political objectives, then you will restore industrial war to the modern world.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

This is like the most wrong wrong can be. Their protecting of profits is the thing that allows them to fulfill their purpose.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options

Still needs answering.

A point:

By that rational, the only war that I can support is a war to protect my wife and family, because I'm not prepared to put my life on the line for anything else, but I don't think that precludes me from discussing these matters.

I think its well established that I'm not much concerned with proportionality of punishments, but that is a whole other topic I'd prefer to avoid.

I am not advocating going to war over IP. I am advocating using non-military and (worse case) military sanctions/actions, but nothing like a war or invasion. I can't imagine things ever coming to that, and if they did, I can't imagine it being worth it, no matter how value is measured. What I could see happening is a military blockade of a nation's ports though, or seizing their shipping methods to prevent them from shipping pirated goods. I could also see police style efforts (with the countries support) to root out the offending people and factories. These are all very different from the full blown war you seem to be imagining.

Ok, so to be clear we've established your own life is too important to risk to protect copyright law. We also seem to have established people living in poor countries lives are less important than copyright. Now we just need the final clarification and I'll be certain of what I'm dealing with here.

Do you consider the lives of American troops to be worth less than your own? Are they an acceptable sacrifice? Because this situation where you think having a ship pass by the shores of other countries and they'll fold like a house of cards in nieve in the extreme. You don't ever threaten military action unless you're willing and able to back up the threat, that means deploying soldiers, that means soldiers dying and killing.

• Options
    Imagining limited escalation of war is farcial, and blockades have been considered acts of war since acts of war were a thing. Controlled theatres are a luxury enjoyed by belligerent nations who don't have to worry about all the third parties they are making nervous with all those soldiers being mobilized. If you make war a standard way of achieving brief material political objectives, then you will restore industrial war to the modern world.

So what is your proposal? To throw up our hands and cede IP infringement to the poorest of nations? I understand your concerns, but it seems to me that right now this is the type of situation which falls through the cracks as it were, since you can't take unilateral action against the infringer, and there is no effective collective action on the international stage which can be brought to bear.

• Options

Still needs answering.

A point:

Ok, so to be clear we've established your own life is too important to risk to protect copyright law. We also seem to have established people living in poor countries lives are less important than copyright. Now we just need the final clarification and I'll be certain of what I'm dealing with here.

Do you consider the lives of American troops to be worth less than your own? Are they an acceptable sacrifice? Because this situation where you think having a ship pass by the shores of other countries and they'll fold like a house of cards in nieve in the extreme. You don't ever threaten military action unless you're willing and able to back up the threat, that means deploying soldiers, that means soldiers dying and killing.

I consider America very important, and consider myself patriotic. I would not join the army and put my life on the line for it though. But fortunately, there are people who do, and I respect the hell out of them. And they do risk their lives to advance America's interests, whatever those interests may be. I don't really understand what you are getting at.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It's really not even the profits I care about protecting so much as the right to exclusive control over your property. I see this as much the same to a foreign government seizing all of my property once I cross the border, and I would expect the US government to back me up there.

This is tangential, but you realize that a government has the right to seize anything and everything passing through its borders pursuant to its own laws right? What if you had inadvertently carried something that was banned and the policy was to to seize everything?

• Options

This is tangential, but you realize that a government has the right to seize anything and everything passing through its borders pursuant to its own laws right? What if you had inadvertently carried something that was banned and the policy was to to seize everything?

Win or lose, I would expect the assistance of the US embassy in that country. There is no guarantee that we can stop IP infringement with the methods discussed in this thread, but that doesn't mean that we ought not to expect the government to make the attempt with reasonable efforts (no one is advocating that the government must employ scorched earth tactics to retrieve my possessions or to stop IP infringement).

• Options
    edited May 2013

So what is your proposal? To throw up our hands and cede IP infringement to the poorest of nations? I understand your concerns, but it seems to me that right now this is the type of situation which falls through the cracks as it were, since you can't take unilateral action against the infringer, and there is no effective collective action on the international stage which can be brought to bear.

There's a collective action mechanism. It's called the WTO dispute resolution process. It doesn't end in gunships, but avoiding the use of gunships is rather the point.

You must realize that the era of relative peace the world has enjoyed since the end of World War Two is a rather fragile one. You are envisioning some crazed scenario where strong nations band together against weak states. But why should that be the case? The actual world as she existed for most of the industrial revolution was for strong states to fight other strong states for monopolies over weak states. Isn't that the prize being fought over here? And weak states cheerfully play off strong states against each other, in order to safeguard their own existence. Is that the kind of world diplomacy you prefer?

I get this sense you see a poor, weak state Getting Away With It and feeling that a great injustice has been done unto you. But the danger here is not a tiny, weak Serbia defying an Austrian empire long since fallen from the height of its power. No, the danger here is proxy-ignited conflict between every single industrial power on the planet, which actually happened. Twice.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Nah its cool ronya, America is the biggest fish this time around

• Options
    Britain was the undisputed superpower in the terms that mattered, circa 1900.

Of course that isn't really relevant either because even a limited exchange between existing nuclear powers today will probably leave the planet uninhabitable.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Still needs answering.

A point:

Let's be clear here - someone CAN be legitimately shot for stealing a purse.

Someone steals your purse, you call the police.
    The police come, they barricade themselves behind a door.
    The police break down the door, they resist arrest.
    The police attempt to use non-lethal force to subdue the offender, they start using weapons to hold off police.
    The police escalate the use of force, so does the offender.
    The police shoot the offender when the use of force becomes too high.

Usually this doesn't happen, usually the offender goes "Screw this, I'm not getting shot for stealing a purse". But law enforcement typically doesn't go "Sorry, they locked the door. You're on your own" or "Sorry, they don't want to be arrested". Each level is backed up by the threat of escalation to the next level, the ultimate level of which is "You may die". Otherwise you could get away with any crime by possession of a gun and the word "No".

However, shooting is not the first response - typically that starts at "You are under arrest" and works its way up. But there always has to be an "up". When it comes down to it, all laws and all rights are backed up by "Do what I say or you will be killed", some of them just start with a politely worded letter.

Archangle on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

It is an issue, but all those first world nations are taking steps, sometimes draconian steps, to protect IP holders. I think it is a significantly different issue from IP infringement which has the explicit (Indian generic drugs) or tacit (let's be really generous and say chinese iClones) government approval. It is extremely hard to stamp out digital piracy, but first world nations are making a best effort to prevent it.

Generally these sort of violations don't require external pressure to ensure enforcement, though a greater degree of cooperation could help with efficacy of enforcement efforts.

Any world where landing amphibious army groups and infantry fighting vehicles is an acceptable option for dealing with IP transgressions in less industrialized countries--not killing anyone, mind you, that inevitably happens later when soldiers inevitably turn out to be poor drivers or just carelessly preoccupied, as happens at military bases in Okinawa or elsewhere--will have to be a world where domestic mass arrests are an acceptable, and enforced, option for IP transgression in the 'hub' countries that are instituting this policy. There is no reason to focus exclusively on a distant factory on the other side of the world making a particular purse knock-off one by one when thousands or tens of thousands of people are illegally distributing a particular song in your own nation.

Other countries would, and should, be years down the line. Otherwise, the implementation will be even more of a mockery than it already is. If other countries are targeted immediately simply because it's somehow more politically viable to implement trade sanctions (or military blockade) of a particular foreign city than to start fining (or arresting) your own countrymen, then there's no hope for enforcement.

• Options

There's a collective action mechanism. It's called the WTO dispute resolution process. It doesn't end in gunships, but avoiding the use of gunships is rather the point.

You must realize that the era of relative peace the world has enjoyed since the end of World War Two is a rather fragile one. You are envisioning some crazed scenario where strong nations band together against weak states. But why should that be the case? The actual world as she existed for most of the industrial revolution was for strong states to fight other strong states for monopolies over weak states. Isn't that the prize being fought over here? And weak states cheerfully play off strong states against each other, in order to safeguard their own existence. Is that the kind of world diplomacy you prefer?

I get this sense you see a poor, weak state Getting Away With It and feeling that a great injustice has been done unto you. But the danger here is not a tiny, weak Serbia defying an Austrian empire long since fallen from the height of its power. No, the danger here is proxy-ignited conflict between every single industrial power on the planet, which actually happened. Twice.

I would think that the stronger nations would come together in agreeing to economic sanctions against nations the infringe on all of their IP holders rights, because this is a discrete issue where their interests are aligned. China and India get left to the side, of course. The ideal would be for this type of collective action to become something meaningful and to have an organization that is better than the WTO or WIPO at this type of thing.

• Options
    But with trade sanctions you are giving something up, too, like a market for your exports. Why would strong nations cooperate together here? Far better to trade with both the rich and the poor camp, and free ride on the sanctions.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

I would think that the stronger nations would come together in agreeing to economic sanctions against nations the infringe on all of their IP holders rights, because this is a discrete issue where their interests are aligned. China and India get left to the side, of course. The ideal would be for this type of collective action to become something meaningful and to have an organization that is better than the WTO or WIPO at this type of thing.

You realize only going after weaker countries for IP infringement would make the stronger countries huge hypocrites, right? So protecting IP to you is limited to whether countries can fight back. So much for protecting American copyright holders.

• Options
    insofar as sanctions work at all, they did persuade the prc into a chunk of west-friendly liberalisation in order to get wto membership

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    But with trade sanctions you are giving something up, too, like a market for your exports. Why would strong nations cooperate together here? Far better to trade with both the rich and the poor camp, and free ride on the sanctions.

Maybe it doesn't even matter. You might not need the cooperation of other nations if your foreign aid is significant enough, and even if others won't agree to an embargo, joining you in withholding aid may be enough. Regardless, the stronger play is definitely to have a better WIPO, but that just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Do you see a workable solution here?

• Options
    nobody's foreign aid is significant enough

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Honestly, I don't see countries as the main threat to IP internationally. Rather, it's the multinational corporations which have a business model based on manipulation of raw content that are.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum