As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMOTCG: [Hex: Shards of Fate] Ladder System Incoming!

• Options
    Thrawn200Thrawn200 Registered User regular
    Lawsuit is settled - https://hextcg.com/press-release-settlement/

While Hex may certainly still be at risk of dying from slow development and lack of promised content, it's no longer at risk of being shut down by a Wizards lawsuit.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Makes you really wonder what the terms of the settlement are.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Makes you really wonder what the terms of the settlement are.

It mentions a license, so Hex is probably making some small regular payments.

• Options
    I think all of the relevant patents are expired now, though they weren't at the time of the kickstarter, so if that's the case I'd think it would have been a lump sum payment, but who knows.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    now give me pve so i can install this

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I wouldn't be too surprised if Hex isn't even paying that much of anything. MTG losing the case would have would been pretty bad for them.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Is the AI as bugged in the Proving Grounds as it is in the Trials? Maybe bugged isn't the right word. Braindead is better. I played the last two matches and they were less of a challenge not because I had good decks but because the AI seems to do some insanely foolish things: the white deck would consistently target this card that was buffing my troops for every shift I did, even when they ALREADY had the debuff on them. The green deck would buff it's own troops, and not attack (perhaps because it only saw the base value of the card and not it's buffed status); or it would buff a troop with "this turn only" that couldn't block as it already attacked.

In terms of card draws, I was getting some crazy "random" sequences with several matches having to be restarted because I got nothing but resource draws.

Overall, it's a pretty interesting card game taking a liberal amount of inspiration from other card games out there. If for nothing else their interface takes a dump all over WotC (which admittedly isn't that hard).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, the AI still doesn't see a bunch of game state things that it needs to.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Is the AI as bugged in the Proving Grounds as it is in the Trials? Maybe bugged isn't the right word. Braindead is better. I played the last two matches and they were less of a challenge not because I had good decks but because the AI seems to do some insanely foolish things: the white deck would consistently target this card that was buffing my troops for every shift I did, even when they ALREADY had the debuff on them. The green deck would buff it's own troops, and not attack (perhaps because it only saw the base value of the card and not it's buffed status); or it would buff a troop with "this turn only" that couldn't block as it already attacked.

In terms of card draws, I was getting some crazy "random" sequences with several matches having to be restarted because I got nothing but resource draws.

Overall, it's a pretty interesting card game taking a liberal amount of inspiration from other card games out there. If for nothing else their interface takes a dump all over WotC (which admittedly isn't that hard).

How close to the starter deck is the deck you're playing in the Trial?

That Trials are extra bad because they're expecting something similar to what you started with. Though the Arena does make some of those same mistakes.

• Options
    Thrawn200Thrawn200 Registered User regular
    The details of the 100k tournament have been announced now as well - https://hextcg.com/road-to-the-100000-tournament/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin & Hobbes
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

It's funny, it seems like you can totally sandbag arena runs with lethal troops since the AI seems to be unreasonably fearful of them and will never swing for damage.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

It's funny, it seems like you can totally sandbag arena runs with lethal troops since the AI seems to be unreasonably fearful of them and will never swing for damage.

Honestly, it's better than it was before.

You could trade any Lethal troop with anything you wanted. And God forbid you gave it Swiftstrike!

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Well, in some areas the AI has certainly gone backwards. It's gone back to making weird errors like casting Incite Fury on your troops if it has nothing on board, and refusing to chump block even when you have lethal damage.

I've heard their plans for where they want the AI to be - actually a unique AI for each enemy; like, maybe a human AI will target Necrotic enemy troops above any other, or a Goblin AI will send all its burn at your face instead of trying to control the board and kill enemy troops. And perhaps some of the current AI mistakes are the first signs of that - it does seem that the AI acts differently in the PG and the Arena, and even between different enemies in the Arena. For instance, if Zodiac Shaman gets its Pact of Life out or Blood Sphinx gets Sky Mage, they will spend all their resources activating them every turn. Avenging Angel used to act that way with his Totems, but no longer does.

• Options
    So, latest Hex news. A player in one of the 100k qualifiers paid off his opponent to concede and let him win the final round. And then bragged about it on twitter.

So Hex has now released an updated policy on splitting, collusion, and bribery. The offending player got a light slap on the wrist since the rules weren't originally clear about it.

http://www.hextcg.com/tournament-integrity/

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    So, latest Hex news. A player in one of the 100k qualifiers paid off his opponent to concede and let him win the final round. And then bragged about it on twitter.

So Hex has now released an updated policy on splitting, collusion, and bribery. The offending player got a light slap on the wrist since the rules weren't originally clear about it.

I feel like in an organized competition "Don't pay someone to take a dive" is implicitly implied and universally understood, regardless of how clear the wording is.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Thing is splits are a common occurrence and generally accepted as OK. The policy is now clearly set though as to when and how they are allowed so I'm definitely happy about that.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Docshifty wrote: »

I feel like in an organized competition "Don't pay someone to take a dive" is implicitly implied and universally understood, regardless of how clear the wording is.

I happen to agree, but for whatever reason it's allowed in some form for most competitive card games. Even Poker.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Magic won't let you do that. You cannot decide the outcome of a match in any way other than playing the match or offering and accepting a draw. "Hey man, I'll give you an extra pack if we draw" is not allowed. "We're both 3-0 and the only undefeated people, would you like to draw and thus split the prizes?" is allowed. "I'll give you 20 bucks to concede to me" is also not allowed.

I'm really surprised they still allowed it, but I guess if the rules weren't explicit before it makes sense. They should definitely take a look at the rules for all of that stuff though.

• Options
    I've sort of always hated splits. Not because I fundamentally oppose them personally, but because I've seen people pressured by them.

I was in a 128 person draft once, and when we got to the finals, everyone just wanted to spilt because it was late, including me. One guy didn't, and he's been basically reviled by that group since.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Magic won't let you do that. You cannot decide the outcome of a match in any way other than playing the match or offering and accepting a draw. "Hey man, I'll give you an extra pack if we draw" is not allowed. "We're both 3-0 and the only undefeated people, would you like to draw and thus split the prizes?" is allowed. "I'll give you 20 bucks to concede to me" is also not allowed.

I'm really surprised they still allowed it, but I guess if the rules weren't explicit before it makes sense. They should definitely take a look at the rules for all of that stuff though.

It's not that I don't see the difference between the two, rather that I consider them both to be something that shouldn't be allowed.

Barring ratings (which are mostly just for bragging rights), giving someone half the packs to concede isn't any different than giving them half the packs to agree to a draw.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    MTG does allow splits in some circumstances
    Splitting a prize in exchange for concession is only permitted in the final match of the single-elimination portion of a tournament (this means there are only two players remaining in the entire event). It is not permitted at any time in Swiss-only tournaments. Offering to split a prize in exchange for concession must be done in the presence of a judge. A prize-split agreement in exchange for concession must involve only the prizes associated with the first- and second-place prizes. A player may not introduce any incentives other than the prizes associated with the tournament.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    How much was the other guy paid in the Hex tournament?

• Options
    2000p and a draft set(3 set 3 packs)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Incindium wrote: »

Oh come on. Wasn't the prize for the tournament a full set of every card for the history of the game? That's just pathetic.

Madican on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Madican wrote: »
    Incindium wrote: »

Oh come on. Wasn't the prize for the tournament a full set of every card for the history of the game? That's just pathetic.

No this was just a bribe/split to get the extra Qualifier tickets to play in the Invitational events. You need 10 to play in a Qualifier and going 4-0 in scheduled sealed gets you 10 tickets vs 3-1 gets you 4 tickets.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Oooooh shiiiiit. Urunaaz dropped in my lazy arena run tonight AND I managed to beat him with my budget ruby aggro deck. That bastard drops some fat loot. Unfortunately my incredibly arena run ended shortly thereafter against that bullshit spider boss that with nothing but mill cards.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Hmm, what's this stardust? Can we craft cards with Dust? If so how?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Hmm, what's this stardust? Can we craft cards with Dust? If so how?

It's for converting cards to their extended art equivalent.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    How do you do that?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    How do you do that?

Right-click them in the deck builder. You'll see a button that lets you do it.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh dear.

Decided to get back into the game by diving right into playing Sealed Deck Gauntlet. Oh, hey, this is a lot of cards that seem to be built around spiders and eggs... maybe I should try this...

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Halloween event is currently active and goes until Nov 9th. If you log in at any point during the event, you get a sleeve. Play arena to get a new PvE card and equipment for it (as random drops from the bosses), and participate in PvP to get an alternate art Ethereal Caller Card (art on the card same as the sleeve).

Details : https://www.hextcg.com/haunted-harvest/

• Options
    That's pretty underwhelming.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Yeah, but it's free!

And the PvE card looks pretty cool. Death Sentence is a fun mechanic.

• Options
    Yeah I love the AA Ethereal art and the sleeve.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That's pretty underwhelming.

Well, they're a year or more behind on launch content, so they're not dumping a ton of resources into new stuff.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Had trouble logging into this game way back when, but a new computer got around the problem and now I finally got to try it!

Really scratches a particular itch. I somehow ended up the elves starter, which doesn't look all that popular, so whoops. Am I correct in thinking that the best F2P path now is just hitting the arena of frost for gold and buying individual commons/uncommons? I might try to look up a cheap arena grinder.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Had trouble logging into this game way back when, but a new computer got around the problem and now I finally got to try it!

Really scratches a particular itch. I somehow ended up the elves starter, which doesn't look all that popular, so whoops. Am I correct in thinking that the best F2P path now is just hitting the arena of frost for gold and buying individual commons/uncommons? I might try to look up a cheap arena grinder.

Yep, that's the way.

If there's some specific commons you're looking for, let me know. I have bunches of extras.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular

Yep, that's the way.

If there's some specific commons you're looking for, let me know. I have bunches of extras.

Thanks! I may actually take you up on this, once I figure out what elf commons are gonna be good to start with.

There's not a list of PA players is there? I didn't see one in the OP, but I guess the interactions might be limited anyway if you spend a lot of time in arena.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options

Yep, that's the way.

Thanks! I may actually take you up on this, once I figure out what elf commons are gonna be good to start with.

There's not a list of PA players is there? I didn't see one in the OP, but I guess the interactions might be limited anyway if you spend a lot of time in arena.

I believe the plan was for a Guild, but it isn't implemented yet.