As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heavy Gear Assault | Now With Single Player!

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CdcMXSbHFQ
ibv1SstJlHG1T2.jpg
Official Site | twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Google+ (lol)

ibr6Lk2KC1XJKP.jpg

i6FIeJzhaiWNF.png
Heavy Gear Assault is a multiplayer F2P mech action sim. Set in the Heavy Gear universe, players will pilot Gears (adorable little mechs) in gladiatorial combat. Customize your Gear for stealth or armor or speed or anything else you want, destroy your enemies with guns and melee weapons, and paint yourself pink! Pink owns.

iGoesKhEjKSyD.jpg

irN24xm1s16Iq.png
Yes, the developers have promised destroyable environments and cool stuff like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwAhHsVBc8M

ieEChvt8AcEhG.jpg

itGf5DsiidyEK.png
The developers call it "Free to Choose" because you can choose whether to spend money or not or something stupid like that. Basically the client is free but you can buy stuff, and also you can buy a premium membership which is a monthly fee thing that gets you... stuff. We don't know much yet. It sounds like

i2Np9rHkk53XE.png
Can you ever! The developers seem to be pushing eSports. It sounds like they'll be running tournaments, integrating streaming and spectating into the client, letting you sponsor players, bet on matches, and observe them via Android phones, and so on. You can hire for your "crew" a little PR dude who gets you into tournaments or something, which sounds worrying like they might be charging for some tournament entries, but we shall see. You can also hire a clown for your crew. Because clowns get the crowd pumped up? But yes, it sounds like competition is in the offing.

iEBY4YMzpT6VI.jpg

ifbDq6UaycCUg.jpg

ibsCasQb2cgPB2.png
Heavy Gear Assault seems like it's in good hands. It's being made by Stompy Bot Productions, a commercial studio spawned out of MekTek, the awesome group that has kept MechWarrior 4 alive since forever and provided tons of awesome updates for it. Stompy Bot is host to a ton of people with experience on the franchise or something like it: the exceutive producer of this game was also the producer for the MekTek expansions on the cool Tesla Pod MechWarrior sims, the creative director was also the director of MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries, and they've got the composer from MechWarrior 2 and MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries on board, which is great because the MW2 Mercs soundtrack owns. And they have a programmer from Heavy Gear II.

ieb114NNCkVke.jpg

irJbSRkHp7dit.png
Fuck if I know. They're saying December 2014 I think but who knows if that date is going to move up or down or left or right or get blown up.

iyerG8hFu9s5G.pnghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?f&v=zBESvQ1X5ls

ijrjhG9Xobdor.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    Heavy Gear is awesome. It's interesting they're pushing the e-sports thing with it, though with MechWarrior, Hawken, and Tribes Ascend all falling under the same umbrella of F2P robot-y goodness they do need something to set them apart.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I really like the e-sports angle. MechWarrior has the sim thing taken care of and Hawken has the "this is too visually complex" market locked down, so Heavy Gear Assault being the "you are an awesome mech gladiator, slap logos on your robot and smash a dude's face in with a vibrating axe" sounds like a ton of fun. And streaming shit seems to be ~~~the wave of the future~~~ so if they actually get some really enjoyable tournaments going on and stuff I think this could be pretty neat.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    This kind of has a "sports car" mech look to it. Like the Mechs aren't down and dirty big badass stompy mechs but streamlined supped up death machines with slick paint jobs and high speed maneuverability.

Where do I sign up again?

(Nothing against big stompy mechs mind you, I love MWO, but nothing wrong with a different style either :) )

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have only one reaction to this news:
    1310650820313.jpg

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    The most interesting part of the Heavy Gear universe is the war between the North and South on Terra Nova, and Earth trying get it on that.

The arena combat isn't a big draw for me, but this could inspire one of those games so I'm down.

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    I never thought the Solaris V rip-off aspect of Heavy Gear was the best bit of it, but I understand that's probably the only way they can contextualize the F2P stuff.

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The most interesting part of the Heavy Gear universe is the war between the North and South on Terra Nova, and Earth trying get it on that.

The arena combat isn't a big draw for me, but this could inspire one of those games so I'm down.

That's kinda the part I'm concerned about and may be why after months of being live, they've only raised 120k. I'm always down for more mech games but I've been very hesitant to throw down on this because of how little momentum it's getting.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Gladatorial combat between robot tank men?

Cool, look forwards to hearing/seeing more about this.

The best possible mode they could introduce though, would be one where people each start with a set amount of in game kudos to bid on parts. Cobble mechs together and go through half a days tournament while building up their mech.

That'd be agood afternoon.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I am pretty excited for another multiplayer mech sim. I've always wanted to try Heavy Gear but it's not an easy game to find or run (so I've heard).

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    After playing the first two, and really enjoying the second one despite how buggy it was, I'm kind of looking forward to this. Though, I can't help but recall that bad caution base off of the same thing this game is.

• Options
    As a kid I loved that skirmish-like intant-action-thingy you could aside from the campaign. You'd join a northern or southern regiment and fight battles. I could create my own narrative and gear and I had a great time. The sequal had nothing like it and suffered for it.

• Options

The $10 million (yes...) stretch goal on their Kickstarter is a genuine single player campaign like Heavy Gears 1 and 2 but that's sooooo not happening. If this takes off then I imagine we'll get more Heavy Gear, just like MWO started life as MechWarrior 5 before someone realized that F2P MMOs are where the money's at.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I love mechs and Heavy Gear. Not so much F2P. And not gladiatorial combat at all.

What a letdown. :(

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Oh, man. Heavy Gear is great. If this silly arena thing really kicks off, a full-on tactical game could be a possibility. Anything I can do to make that happen, I'll do.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    The more I read about this the less excited I get - I mean, it still might end up being a great mech combat deathmatch game, but if you look at their stretch goals you get a list of stuff that won't be in the game unless they raise way more money than they have any hope of raising. Stuff we aren't getting (unless Bill Gates chips in...):

Zero-G combat
    Announcers
    Teams? ("Form Dueling Teams, and compete together for top spots" is a stretch goal)
    League play, including playoffs, stat tracking, leaderboards, and so on
    "Death races" (not essential but they sound badass)

So... that leaves us with... basically Hawken, I guess. So maybe I shouldn't be complaining. But still, it's a shame that not only is the heart and soul of Heavy Gear getting the shaft right now (no tactical combat, no campaign, just gladiator arenas) but also instead of going all-out with the gladiator thing they're just using it as an excuse to make a bare bones game.

But, again, I shouldn't be so down on it. It's not like MechWarrior Online or Hawken have given us anything better than deathmatch arenas with some objectives that barely matter thrown into the mix.

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Oh damn I loved the southern Gear designs.

I know arena combat sounds bad, but really all FPS mech games multiplayer is pretty much arena combat. (I dun goofed people have already brought this up)

I still like the Gear designs.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    So have these mektek guys ever really done anything? past work is generally what i'd base my expectations on but through the googles all i can find is they maybe kinda made some minor improvements to mechwarrior 4 at some point? It seems a big jump from that to making an actual game.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    It seems to me like I remember reading that arena combat is in a decent chunk of lore for the universe, mainly for the tabletop game. There's probably enough pre-existing material that they can pull off the setting without making it feel like a huge change from the original PC games.

If they keep the style of the mech combat true to the first two games then I will be ecstatic. Heavy Gear is my favorite mech combat of all time.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    So have these mektek guys ever really done anything? past work is generally what i'd base my expectations on but through the googles all i can find is they maybe kinda made some minor improvements to mechwarrior 4 at some point? It seems a big jump from that to making an actual game.

"Minor" is putting it lightly. They did a fairly massive amount of work on that game. Not to the level of, say, what the Source Code Project guys did for Freespace 2 but it's definitely more than just some simple content packs.

• Options
    If you had played their improvements you wouldn't be calling them minor! I think they added more mechs to that game than were in there in the first place. You're right that the company itself hasn't made many games but a lot of the employees have worked on stuff you may have heard of, like, oh, say, Heavy Gear II and MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

"Minor" is putting it lightly. They did a fairly massive amount of work on that game. Not to the level of, say, what the Source Code Project guys did for Freespace 2 but it's definitely more than just some simple content packs.

Indeed. Hell, they put so much work in to it that they were allowed to re-release the game for free. Thanks to them and their own multiplayer servers, MW4 has had quite a long life. Not sure what it's like now with MWO being out and all. :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    In terms of the latest MechWarrior games to be released, they all have strengths and weaknesses and good parts and bad parts, but if I had to add everything up and make a judgment, I'd actually go MW:LL > MekTek MW4:Mercs > MWO. So I definitely trust them with Heavy Gear, at least as much as I trust Piranha Games with MWO (and even more so, really).

• Options
    Drake wrote: »
    It seems to me like I remember reading that arena combat is in a decent chunk of lore for the universe, mainly for the tabletop game. There's probably enough pre-existing material that they can pull off the setting without making it feel like a huge change from the original PC games.

If they keep the style of the mech combat true to the first two games then I will be ecstatic. Heavy Gear is my favorite mech combat of all time.

Ehhh...

They made a TV show about it, but it uses a slightly modified cannon.

It's really about fighting on Terra Nova between the various factions. The HG arena is like Solaris. Like Solaris for BT it has it's own tabletop releases but really isnt the focus.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Interested, but as others said, F2P is kind of a heavy damper.

I really like the concept of fast and more agile mechs, but I really wanted that as a singleplayer game, not a microtransaction fest. Doesn't help that they're trying to say "this is totally not F2P, it's C2P!", whilst listing out a bunch of reasons that all... make it sound like every other F2P game.

I mean ultimately if I backed this it looks like I'd be backing for "in-game currency" of the same value, and cooldowns.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    The more I read about this the less excited I get - I mean, it still might end up being a great mech combat deathmatch game, but if you look at their stretch goals you get a list of stuff that won't be in the game unless they raise way more money than they have any hope of raising. Stuff we aren't getting (unless Bill Gates chips in...):

Zero-G combat
    Announcers
    Teams? ("Form Dueling Teams, and compete together for top spots" is a stretch goal)
    League play, including playoffs, stat tracking, leaderboards, and so on
    "Death races" (not essential but they sound badass)

So... that leaves us with... basically Hawken, I guess. So maybe I shouldn't be complaining. But still, it's a shame that not only is the heart and soul of Heavy Gear getting the shaft right now (no tactical combat, no campaign, just gladiator arenas) but also instead of going all-out with the gladiator thing they're just using it as an excuse to make a bare bones game.

But, again, I shouldn't be so down on it. It's not like MechWarrior Online or Hawken have given us anything better than deathmatch arenas with some objectives that barely matter thrown into the mix.
    That's the problem though. Why would I back HG:A when I have MWO and Hawken that both scratch the same itch? Hawken especially has boosty arena combat very well covered. Throw a melee mech in there and that would be pretty much everything HG:A could possibly offer without making Chris Roberts grade millions in a different game.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    You'd back it because the MWO developers can't release a patch without breaking things and because the people working at Stompy Bot have a proven history of making good MechWarrior and Heavy Gear games. Hawken has a pretty specific style and the clunky, grainy, spastic sort of television-on-legs deathmatch thing it has going on is fairly different from the agile, more human-like way that Gears work. Plus, melee and destroyable environments.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    subedii wrote: »
    Interested, but as others said, F2P is kind of a heavy damper.

I really like the concept of fast and more agile mechs, but I really wanted that as a singleplayer game, not a microtransaction fest. Doesn't help that they're trying to say "this is totally not F2P, it's C2P!", whilst listing out a bunch of reasons that all... make it sound like every other F2P game.

I mean ultimately if I backed this it looks like I'd be backing for "in-game currency" of the same value, and cooldowns.

Pro: Mech games are coming back out of the woodwork!
    Con: All of them are fucking f2p multiplayer nonsenses!
    Zxerol's Dumb, Non-Binding Verdict: Meh.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    You'd back it because the MWO developers can't release a patch without breaking things and because the people working at Stompy Bot have a proven history of making good MechWarrior and Heavy Gear games. Hawken has a pretty specific style and the clunky, grainy, spastic sort of television-on-legs deathmatch thing it has going on is fairly different from the agile, more human-like way that Gears work. Plus, melee and destroyable environments.

The controlls in Hawken are pretty janky, and I couldn't find a way to make the game fun as a result. But if this game handles anything like the older Heavy Gear games I'm definately sold.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I should have phrased it better. What I said is what I imagine a lot of other people probably think (other than f2p, bleh).

Personally, the only thing holding me back is the utter lack of momentum. I adore mech games of all shades but this one seems kinda doomed to die a quiet death. I really want to be proven wrong though.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Well, if you pledge on Kickstarter you aren't out any money unless they pass their goal.

What's holding me back is that I fucking hate spending money on Free to Play games. In fact as far as I can recall I don't think I've spent a single cent on a F2P game my entire life, and I don't want to start now.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    ARISE THREAD FOR I BRING GOOD TIDINGS!
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stompybot/heavy-gear-assault-0/posts/490704

Since the launch of our Kickstarter campaign on Monday, we've received a large amount of comments and suggestions from our fans and backers. We've gotten tons of great feedback, and we're thankful to have such a constructive and loyal community. We heard your overwhelming requests for a single-player mode. We heard your pleas for more realistic stretch goals. We looked at every suggestion you, our loyal community, sent us — and we’re proud to tell you we listened.

Check out our new goals here: http://heavygear.com/goals

SINGLE PLAYER!
    shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Aaaand they're back in with a chance.

Not a guarantee, but I'm going to consider them now.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Aaaand they're back in with a chance.

Not a guarantee, but I'm going to consider them now.
    Yup. I just backed the shit out of them.
    @TychoCelchuuu needs to change the thread title for maximum hype.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Are all 3 episodes coming regardless of which funding goal they meet, or are they only going to release each one if they meet $0.8 million, $0.9 million, and $1 million respectively?

Similar question with the "instant action" mode.

That and well, Episodes implies that they're going to be fairly short affairs. If at the end of all this I end up just getting like, 1/3 or less of an SP campaign tied to their micro-transaction multiplayer, I'm going to be disappointed.

subedii on
  • Options
    Are all 3 episodes coming regardless of which funding goal they meet, or are they only going to release each one if they meet $0.8 million, $0.9 million, and $1 million respectively?

Similar question with the "instant action" mode.

That and well, Episodes implies that they're going to be fairly short affairs. If at the end of all this I end up just getting like, 1/3 or less of an SP campaign tied to their micro-transaction multiplayer, I'm going to be disappointed.

I dunno, but one million isn't that much more than 800k. It's a very reasonable goal to hit to get the community mission creator.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    So I don't know much about the HG universe (I just like the concept of smaller and more naturally agile mechs than what you typically see, the kinds of things that might make more sense in dense environments). What's the difference between Southern and Northern? At least in terms of their mechs?

• Options
    So I don't know much about the HG universe (I just like the concept of smaller and more naturally agile mechs than what you typically see, the kinds of things that might make more sense in dense environments). What's the difference between Southern and Northern? At least in terms of their mechs?
    Northern military combat machines are typically shaped with square armor plates, and are usually named for predatory mammals such as bears and large cats.

Southern military units are likewise given a distinctive look. They usually include numerous rounded and spherical shaped armor plates. They are usually named for reptiles, often snakes.
    If I remember correctly, southern units have a tendency to be more agile while the northern ones lean towards the "tons of armor" theory of combat.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Northern military combat machines are typically shaped with square armor plates, and are usually named for predatory mammals such as bears and large cats.

Southern military units are likewise given a distinctive look. They usually include numerous rounded and spherical shaped armor plates. They are usually named for reptiles, often snakes.
    If I remember correctly, southern units have a tendency to be more agile while the northern ones lean towards the "tons of armor" theory of combat.

Sometimes - the North tends to be slightly technologically superior (they developed the first true combat gear and the South stole it), while the South tends to be more aggressive - sometimes that translates to speed, sometimes to armor or aggressive weapon loadouts, and sometimes it leads to things like the Gila. A scout-size frontline assault gear carrying a stupid huge autocannon. The North, meanwhile, has stuff like the Cheetah - one of the fastest, most maneuverable gears in the setting. For the most part, they're fairly similar and the differentiation is visual or how combat units are built to support doctrine.

I was just heading out to write up a post on HGA, so excited to see this. With the inclusion of offline, single-player missions (and historical, military ones at that) I think they have an opportunity to gather a slice of the market Hawken and MW:O have missed. I really hope they're able to pull it off, if in part to open up the potential for future Heavy Gear games. Like a deep RPG/sim hybrid, like Deus Ex where you can hop in a gear once in a while.

Mostly: fuck yeah Heavy Gear.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    So if this thing gets ofd the ground the devs want to do a Linux port. The catch is that UE4 does not natively support Linux so the plan is to code it from scratch. They will then hand off that code to Epic so that all future UE4 games will be able to piggyback off that code and have Linux support.

Jesus fuck how are these guys not drowning in cash already?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Jesus fuck how are these guys not drowning in cash already?

Honest answer?

The F2P start, coupled with the perception that the announced singleplayer is a bit of a tack-on box-tick in the hopes of persuading people they want this. Personally it gives me the impression that whatever SP content that does come out of this will just be thrown together and not really all that significant or fun, and possibly just a glorified series of skirmish maps.

That's my take anyway. If they had gone full bore from the start into a dedicated singleplayer campaign and went detailed into what they were building and how it was going to be fun, then yeah, money thrown at the screen etc. As it stands though? I'm going to need some convincing, because I've got plenty of other MP games to play, and ones that aren't F2P either.