As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer haelp!

XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
If this should be posted in H/A, I apologize!

My computer has a problem .... I'm assuming a video card problem as NOTHING will appear on the screen. I have (had) a ATI Sapphire X1950 GT that is around 7 years old (give or take). When I took it out and cleaned it and put it back in, I still can't get any images. I don't have onboard graphics on the mobo to test if it's the monitor or something else.

So, I've resolved to buy a new graphics card!

Can anyone tell me if this crappy graphics card will work with this old motherboard?

I realize that the graphics card is severely dated and cheap, but so is my motherboard (well, it wasn't at the time). I have next to no money to spend on this. I really only use the comp for internet and the occasional game of LoL.

thanks!

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It will work, but it'll be a significant step back as compared to your X1950 GT. But for just a couple dollars more you can get this HD 6450 for pretty much comparable performance, or a couple more dollars for this GT 430 for a little bit better performance.

The GT 430 comes with a $15 MIR, but I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor given the spotty success of MIRs. If you end up getting it just think of it as a nice little surprise.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    thanks!

I'll go for the 6450 as money is super tight.

Just out of curiosity, why would the one I posted be a significant step back? Looking at the details it has higher specs all around.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    When in doubt, check the monthly Tom's Hardware GPU Hierarchy chart. The X1950 GT and HD 6450 are equal. The GT 430 is 2 tiers better than the X1950 (which isn't all that significant). The 8400 GS isn't listed, but the 8400 G is 8 tiers below the X1950 GT and the 8400M GS another tier down, so it's a good guess that it won't be all that much higher than either of those.

• Options
    haha so, it was my monitor not my graphics card

but just out of curiosity, can a graphics card some how kill a monitor? I had been having issues where the monitor would go black but the audio was still there and no amount of monitor turning on and off would help.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I suppose it could be technically possible, but the gpu itself would have to broken in a very catastrophic and specific way to send some sort of over voltage on the video cable.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    gotcha

I went ahead and rehooked up my old card and it works right as rain!

thanks all!

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    I had PNY video card that kept sending incorrect sync values a monitor I had. The monitor died after just a few months of having the video card.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy