Options

[Fire Emblem] Awakening is a Critical Hit!

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    unless they are going to have some yugioh style arms attachment that does something else sweet, the cards are stupid. At least the models can sort of be decorative. You know what people do with cards? They put them in binders and throw them in a closet. I want a Robin and Lucina model but like everywhere that has put up preorders has oversold them already and they aren't even on sale yet.

I also tried looking around some local stores for used copies of the Wii Fire Emblem, and also the DS one. They are basically impossible to find and I don't want to spend $80 for one on Amazon. Guess I'm stuck with awakening until black kingdom or the persona crossover comes out. Well unless I grab whichever one is in the VC shop. Is that one any good?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I am almost positive they are not doing the cards, except as a last resort. They are already re-printing Marth and Ike. I am sure they will continue to re-print amiibos that have new functionality in games but are sold out (ex. the aforementioned that work in Code Name: STEAM). The cards was just an idea they threw out to maybe satisfy people who don't care for the figure but want the functionality. Also, in the case of Animal Crossing where there are a billion characters and making figures is not super feasible (I suspect they'll do something similar for Pokemon too, though they'll still have *some* amiibo for both)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I've been reading up on Cipher, and it actually sounds pretty cool. Like a combination of Pokémon and WoW.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    So, what important information did the character designer for Revelation of the Illusion ♯FE want to talk about on the game's official blog?
    As far as characters go, we have discussions such as “what we should do in terms of bust size?” with suggestions like “they could be large and have glasses to go with them,” and “no, glasses are no good,” and so on.

And the only picture he posted?

img_chara.jpg

This is definitely going places.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    What the fuck. The trailer was bad, but that is just stupid.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    So, what important information did the character designer for Revelation of the Illusion ♯FE want to talk about on the game's official blog?
    As far as characters go, we have discussions such as “what we should do in terms of bust size?” with suggestions like “they could be large and have glasses to go with them,” and “no, glasses are no good,” and so on.

img_chara.jpg

I think we should decide this democratically.

strawpoll.me/4180680

• Options
    In Japan, bust size is used as a visual shorthand for a character's personality- similar to how they consider blood type to be an important facet of personality. Thats why you see that stuff show up in a bunch of video games and anime.
    it's dumb.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

img_chara.jpg

That's fucking disgusting.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    the trailer for SMTxFE already really put me off of my interest in the game

stuff like this makes me think I made the correct decision

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I was really intrigued. Now I'm much less so :?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Eh artstyle almost has no bearing on gameplay in my opinion. Also how many games have concept art or cover art that looks absolutely nothing like in game?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Eh artstyle almost has no bearing on gameplay in my opinion. Also how many games have concept art or cover art that looks absolutely nothing like in game?

True!

I'm not writing the game off, but that doesn't mean the comment there inspires a distinct lack of confidence...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Nintendo needs to figure out their amiibo supply problems and/or just make it so people order directly from Nintendo. If they get their crap together they could make amiibo for more than just their main line stuff, and make supporting cast people. Tharja, Sumia, and Nowi would probably sell pretty well even if they aren't mario. I know those will never get made as the game is a few years old now, but I'm sure there will be other people in in the new FE that people will want too. Expanding to more games just gives developers more opportunities and options with implementing amiibo compatability. Also Nintendo could have my soul if they made it so scanning a charizard amiibo into the new fire emblem gave you a sweet firebreathing dragon to kill stuff with.

So far as I know, Nintendo's Amiibo supply issue is that they're going to (eventually) issue trading cards with the NFC chip in them-- so basically just the electronics on cardboard. The figurines will stay scalper goldmines collector's items and anyone who really needs the in-game bonus can use the cards.

Didn't they have some silly augmented reality game thing with trading cards and the 3ds camera?

They should totally mix that with amiibo cards. Then you could play fire emblem in 3d on the battlefield of your kitchen table.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    My Radiant Dawn playthrough is coming along nicely - three chapters to go in part three (meaning two more Dawn Brigade chapters..ugh).

Unsurprisingly, my party's the same as always. I tried mixing it up a little bit by using Ilyana throughout part 1 and Calill in parts 2 and 3, but since you're forced to use Micaiah and Sanaki in the final chapters and Soren always turns out fantastic, there's really no point.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    I still can't believe of all the routes you could go with a fire emblem/ shin whatever crossover, they went

"okay, but what if we made persona, but skeezier"

I'm holding you personally accountable for this, @Wyborn

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    You try to pin this shit on me and my hand on God's ass I will make you draw a bust chart for that fanfic, with Bowser at the heaviest end

God

Seriously, though, seriously for a second

Atlus character design skeeves me out pretty bad at times like this, and I have this sinking feeling it's going to be indicative of the larger tone of the game

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    You try to pin this shit on me and my hand on God's ass I will make you draw a bust chart for that fanfic, with Bowser at the heaviest end

God

Seriously, though, seriously for a second

Atlus character design skeeves me out pretty bad at times like this, and I have this sinking feeling it's going to be indicative of the larger tone of the game

it'll be done when it's done!

kozaki made some pretty suspect character designs too, honestly

but, like, yeah. I was kind of willing to give this thing a second chance since...trailers aren't always a great indicator of what the game really is, but they're pretty clearly setting a tone at this point

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Who's Kozaki? Is that the Awakening guy? Is that the artist what graced us with Nowi?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    "Okay, so what do we want to do with the boobs?"

"We could make them large! Also, I feel that glasses are an important part of my large boobs idea."

"Woah there, buddy! I like the part where you said the large boobs, but the part about the glasses? No sir!"

"Then what about this other character? She needs boobs too."

"Go with me for a minute, 'cause this is kind of a stretch, but... how about big ones?"

"Lucina?"

"Big ones!"

"Nowi?"

"Just, like, the absolute biggest ones."

Honestly, I was expecting this sort of thing pretty much as soon as I heard about that game, so color me unsurprised. I was planning to steer clear regardless, so ultimately it doesn't matter much to me. I guess my standards for Japan are just really low.

Actually, no. I'm a little surprised that they'd post that sort of conversation as promotional material for the game. I assumed they would have those sorts of discussions, but I never figured they'd be silly enough to think that mentioning those conversations would be good press.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Who's Kozaki? Is that the Awakening guy? Is that the artist what graced us with Nowi?

yep!

I like some of his designs but dang, he's produced some garbage too. So I was going to be like, hey, maybe it's not all atlus in this case? But then I remembered atlus was the developer and that's clearly not his art so...

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Kaneko, Doi and Soejima of Atlus all do excellent human character designs, it's grossly unfair to generalise like that. Yasuda (Devil Survivor games) and whoever does Etrian Odyssey are a blight.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I'm digging the Etrian art in Persona Q, but yeah...Yasuda may in fact be one of the worst character designers of our time.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Kaneko, Doi and Soejima of Atlus all do excellent human character designs, it's grossly unfair to generalise like that. Yasuda (Devil Survivor games) and whoever does Etrian Odyssey are a blight.

Etrian is hit or miss. Protector and Landsknecht art is excellent. Medic, Gunner, Runemaster, lots of classes are fine their art.

Then you hit dancer. (/Troubador, and to a lesser extent Arbalist. Also Dark Hunters.)

The NPCs are mostly fine (EO1's shopkeeper was a bit much).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I honestly can't say I'm surprised that the guy who did Devil Survivor made those comments.

Because man are those some character designs.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I honestly can't say I'm surprised that the guy who did Devil Survivor made those comments.

He didn't. Yasuda worked on the Devil Survivor games and his style is significantly different. The character designer above is toi8. A lot of his work looks pretty good, but then he also worked on whatever this show is (nsfw), so...

Endaro on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    There's a reason people's reaction is "dammit Japan" and not "dammit <some company/artist>".

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I'll be pissed if the Amiibos are used with Fire Emblem If, because I missed out on pre-ordering Lucina and the figures are never going to be restocked in Australia because these figures have pretty much bombed.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Daypigeon wrote: »

yep!

I like some of his designs but dang, he's produced some garbage too. So I was going to be like, hey, maybe it's not all atlus in this case? But then I remembered atlus was the developer and that's clearly not his art so...

Hey, he did No More Heroes. He gets a pass.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    For the record, I vote for with glasses. Glasses are sexy.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Polaritie wrote: »
    There's a reason people's reaction is "dammit Japan" and not "dammit <some company/artist>".

Which I think it kind of bullshit. But I don't pretend like objectifying women is some foreign thing.

Not that I'm excusing the behavior of course, I just don't believe in othering it either.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

Which I think it kind of bullshit. But I don't pretend like objectifying women is some foreign thing.

Not that I'm excusing the behavior of course, I just don't believe in othering it either.

Yeah

It's sad that Japan is so out in the open with that kind of stuff though, like to them we're the weirdos for getting up in arms about stuff like the woman sniper in MGS5

• Options
    The objectified women thing has nothing to do with "God damn it Japan. "

Stuff like" your blood type is an indicator of your personality " or the way absolutely everything is sold in vending machines is enough to make us facepalm and shake our heads.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Orphane wrote: »

Yeah

It's sad that Japan is so out in the open with that kind of stuff though, like to them we're the weirdos for getting up in arms about stuff like the woman sniper in MGS5

Hmm...see this is kind of what I mean.

I think when people say "we" they need to be more specific of who they're talking about. Do you me "we" as in the people here, or "we" as Western gaming culture as a whole?

Because using what you're saying as an example. I was on Twitter when Rhianna Practhet got attacked for criticizing the MGS5 design. And you know I saw just as many if not more people who hailed from the Western world attacking her for daring to speak out again anything Kojima did. Sure, it probably was in part to the language barrier but also a bit more than that.

What I'm skeptical of when it comes to othering is that at the end of the day while you might not be from the country of origin of said product you are still consuming said product. Which in my mind says you either don't mind what they're doing(at least not enough to stop you from buying) or heck you might secretly like it.

Now, I'm not saying that goes for everyone here. I know people like Wyborn and Blackjack fucking hate this stuff. And hell, I'll admit a lot of the time I just look at stuff like this and kind of shrug. But I always try to take it on as a personal decision.

I guess that whole "lolJapan" stuff just kind of sets me off because I've been apart of anime culture for a long time and a lot of the times I see folks use it as a deflection or a dismissal from the topic at hand or a way to escape their part in it all. Which not only is that condescending, its a slightly xenophobic attitude to have.

Also then I look at shit we've got going on like that Gamergate stuff, and the Spiderwoman art thing, and I'm like...we have a long way to go in general.

So yeah...just a pet peeve of mind.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Anime doesn't even need to factor into things.

Did you see that "goth" hamburger?

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Anime doesn't even need to factor into things.

Did you see that "goth" hamburger?

Yes. Different cultures have different values and quirks. And they handle things in different ways.

That doesn't mean things can't translate.

That said, hmm...I'll refrain from going any further because what I'm talking about isn't just sexism but it deals with Western (specfically American) exceptionalism and that's off-topic as fuck.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Quirks.... Yep, quirky is certainly ONE way to describe it.
    what-the-fuck-japan.png?w=584

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    http://nintendoeverything.com/more-differences-revealed-from-fire-emblem-if-versions/
    It would appear that there will be a few more differences between the upcoming Fire Emblem IF versions than was originally anticipated. Recently Project Manager Masahiro Higuchi from Intelligent Systems and Nintendo Producer Hitoshi Yamagami spoke with 4Gamer and talked about a few more differences in Fire Emblem IF Black and White Kingdom.

In the interview they discussed that the story is not the only difference between the two versions, the White Kingdom was created for fans who have joined the series with Fire Emblem Awakening or are playing a game in the series for the first time.

This is what Masahiro Higuchi had to say:

White Kingdom will indeed be easier, while Black Kingdom will have a much higher difficulty with limited money and experience points for leveling up your characters. Additionally, it will have more difficult conditions for clearing its stages. Defeating the enemy general or defeating all enemies are still the basic requirements, but it will also have other conditions such as suppress enemies, break through enemy lines, and defend your base. There will also be maps with limited turns.

There will also be a few more differences aside from just the story:

Yes. Of course the story will be completely different, but there will also be major differences in the maps and the way the game is played. The games are being made so that you can feel satisfied by playing just one, but I believe that if you were to play both, you would be rather surprised at their differences.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    All for more varied objectives, definitely looking forward to the black edition.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So Fire Emblem Casual and Fire Emblem Classic.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Now I'm really wondering how they're gonna handle DLC in Fire Emblem Classic.