As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Want to be an [E]nforcer? Applications are now open.

SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
edited May 2013 in PAX West
Well Saddle up!

Applications are OPEN!

Feel free to ask questions in this thread, and I'm sure many a veteran enforcer will be pleased to answer.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
SmallLady on

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    That extra 10 hours of PAX isn't going to staff itself!

• Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    Is there any point in Canadians (or other international people) applying? Not sure if you need a work visa in order to volunteer in the US.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    If you can't legally work in the US, you probably shouldn't bother applying. Sorry.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    JadensmithJadensmith Lurker Surrey, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Try asking these folks. But it sounds like as long as you are not taking a job that
    1) could be a paid position.
    2) could take away a job that would pay an American citizen.
    It should be ok. But check because they get real mad about those things if you don't fill out proper paperwork.
    Edit: let me know the answer cause now I am curious.

Jadensmith on
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    Thanks whypick1. I had actually already emailed CBP since they'd probably know better than someone from Canadian immigration. I'll post any response I receive in this thread.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    The third question in the application asks if you can collect a W-2. That should be a REALLY BIG HINT as to what type of position this is and why those from outside of the US should probably not apply.

• Options
    bloatedhippobloatedhippo Registered User regular
    I applied :)

• Options
    ioicctsniwioicctsniw Registered User regular
    Is there a general idea of when one might hear if they've been selected or not?

• Options
    I wouldn't expect responses until after PAX AUS, so late July/early August.

• Options
    HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    If something happens between now and callbacks that would prevent me from being able to [E] (even if it wouldn't prevent my making it to PAX), is that a problem?

Submitting my application anyways, mind, but there is a specific thing that may (but probably won't) happen that would directly result in my not being able to [E] this year even though I'd decided at PAX12 that I really, really wanted to do that this year.

EDIT: OK, it's definitely not an issue for me; the one thing that would've gotten in the way is a definite 'not happening' now. Leaving the question up in case it's relevant to other prospective [E] applicants, though.

HikariStarshine on
  • Options
    TektonikkTektonikk PAX South/West Console Tournament Manager Registered User regular
    Jadensmith wrote: »
    Try asking these folks. But it sounds like as long as you are not taking a job that
    1) could be a paid position.
    2) could take away a job that would pay an American citizen.
    It should be ok. But check because they get real mad about those things if you don't fill out proper paperwork.
    Edit: let me know the answer cause now I am curious.

I thought I'd drop my input on this cause I looked this up when I wanted to [E] for East 2012:

As a Canadian citizen you're totally allowed to work in the States if you have any work visa. When I was searching around for the right permit, I stumbled upon the most appropriate one (H2-B) which allows temporary work for non-agricultural jobs. The employer (Penny Arcade) has to sponsor you though, and I would assume that most of the applicants fill up the positions fairly quickly without even looking for foreign help (as well as applying for the amount of visas needed before the cap). The other visas (TN/H1-B) don't really fit in to PA but if you are a practising professional in the fields they mention you can probably just slide this job in as well as you're just getting another W2 for another job. (Also correct me if I'm wrong with anything I mention here).

• Options
    Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    I know its early and not everyone in this thread will become an enforcer but they deserve a big thank you for helping out make, especially with Pax being an additional day this year

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • Options
    JackKieserJackKieser Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Well, I put in my application first thing as soon as it opened. I really, really, REALLY hope I get in. I've been watching the site, F5'ing every morning since PAX East for this chance.

Balanced-Brawl-Sig-2.gif?t=1271711610
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Guys, I'm going to make this really simple (and disappointing).

If you are not an American Citizen, or living in the US with a valid work visa, you're not going to be able to Enforce.

I'm really sorry.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    How likely is it that someone who *hasn't* done the [E] thing in the past will be selected to do so this year? It seems that some proportion of applicants are convinced that all the positions will get taken up by previous Enforcers, and that they shouldn't get their hopes up for being selected this year.

Mostly just asking this on grounds of 'need somewhere I can point my friend so he'll stop being all pessimistic about it, if he's worried over nothing'.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    They would not open up applications if all positions were taken by previous Enforcers. They do a roll call ahead of time to figure out which previous Enforcers will be coming back, and then they open up applications if they think they will need new Enforcers to fill in the gaps.

Considering PAX is going to an additional day this year, it follows that there would be a larger gap than usual.

• Options
    Here's a question: if you're selected to be an Enforcer, how will you be gotten in touch with? I'd hate to miss an opportunity because it's like the Omegathon and I miss a phone call while at work or something.

• Options
    You're e-mailed back at the address you provided.

• Options
    JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    If you would like to speed up the process, try tricking the universe. I found that purchasing a badge at an inflated price on eBay caused my email to show up the next day. ( don't)

damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
  • Options
    mnmqueen17mnmqueen17 Registered User regular
    I submitted my application and the only thing worse than the waiting is the smiley face saying no new mail on gmail. Oh the taunting!

• Options
    Oh, god yes. I know. Every day that goes by that I don't get an email one way or the other kills me a little inside. T_T

• Options
    I wouldn't expect any response until after PAX Australia is done, so you guys can (try to) relax.

• Options
    mnmqueen17mnmqueen17 Registered User regular
    We will try, but I am sure that it will end in a quivering mass of anxious failure.

• Options
    whypick1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect any response until after PAX Australia is done, so you guys can (try to) relax.

Oh, I already know / knew that. That doesn't make the waiting or anticipation any easier to deal with. :P

• Options
    tehgilligantehgilligan Stud_Ent SeattleRegistered User new member
    Somehow the wait is more anxiety inducing than from a pending application for a real job.

8====D
  • Options
    Hey, question thread! Let's ask a new question!

If we are *not* selected for [E], will we receive an email that we've been declined?

• Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    From what I've gathered, if you don't get selected you don't get notified. That said, at the moment, it seems that applications are still open.

• Options
    B for BusinessB for Business Registered User regular
    Don't worry guys and gals, if you're selected, you'll receive and email. If you're not selected, well, you don't get an email.

Xbox Live - Jaxon121906 10k
    PSN - B_for_Business
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I believe people have been notified over the past few PAXii when they are not selected.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    etherealvisionetherealvision Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    JackKieser wrote: »
    whypick1 wrote: »

Oh, I already know / knew that. That doesn't make the waiting or anticipation any easier to deal with. :P

I know the feeling. I've wanted to be an Enforcer a couple years and now I'm eagerly waiting and hoping I get in! Hoping having both customer service and security experience help! *stares at in box*

etherealvision on
    Let there be games!
  • Options
    Hey, question thread! Let's ask a new question!

If we are *not* selected for [E], will we receive an email that we've been declined?

Two of my friends who applied got emails saying they didn't get in. So yes you find out either way.

Let there be games!
  • Options
    I accidentally sent two applications way back when they went live. One on my phone, but wasn't sure if it went through, and then one when I got home to make sure I was in the pile. Would that discount me from becoming an enforcer?

Let there be games!
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I accidentally sent two applications way back when they went live. One on my phone, but wasn't sure if it went through, and then one when I got home to make sure I was in the pile. Would that discount me from becoming an enforcer?
    You won't likely get an official word on this forum on the matter, but I'd highly doubt it. It may even double your chances!

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    You won't likely get an official word on this forum on the matter, but I'd highly doubt it. It may even double your chances!

I accidentally joined the enforcers twice, now i'm Two Enforcers!

7B14287.png
  • Options
    peetsnack wrote: »
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    I accidentally joined the enforcers twice, now i'm Two Enforcers!
    I'd watch that sitcom.

a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    This wait is literally torture. I cannot hit refresh enough times on my email to calm my mind; calm is not a state I can inhabit at this juncture.

• Options
    jskill1jskill1 Registered User new member
    I was told to post my shirt size on here. I hope this is the right thread. - shirt size XXL

• Options
    Wrong forum dude.

• Options
    UNHMANUNHMAN [E] Registered User regular
    jskill1 wrote: »
    I was told to post my shirt size on here. I hope this is the right thread. - shirt size XXL

I'm [E] since last Prime. On the App they have you do it so you are not required to post it in our forum. Makes things for PA A LOT easier. Good Luck everyone.

• Options
    I wonder how they do it. Do they do it in stages? Or do Enforcers get personalized emails if they're in? I know three people who all got denied at exactly the same time while I received no email so I'm hoping that means I'm in.

Let there be games!