Options

When do you leave a job?

2»

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Blackmail hahaha seriously though joke's over.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    As much fun as the blackmailing sounds, I'd rather not intimidate someone with vastly bigger resources than myself. Especially someone with a volatile temper.

He actually said he didn't remember what he had even said. He just blacked out.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Yeah, he blacked out. Sure.

You don't owe him a vacation, a house, or anything. He owes you at least a respectful work environment. You are responsible for the money lost (or, in this case, the potential money lost) by not reviewing the sale of those two items. That's it. If these are items that, upon being sold at full price, would have netted him a vacation, extra houses, and so on, then yeah, it's fair for him to bring those items up as things he has lost due to your negligence.

You met with him, and his response was basically "Thanks, not going to change, deal with it." He expects you to be responsible for your behavior and the business, and he expects himself to be exactly the same as he is now -- petulant and upset that a mistake may prevent him from taking a vacation?

You're in a fucking business, not his personal slush fund. Stick with the job hunt. Is there someone else between you and your boss, or someone at roughly your level, that you can use as a job reference?

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Unfortunately not. It's basically myself, him (the owner), his son-in-law, and then 5 hourly employees. I wouldn't want to risk anything getting back to him regarding my job hunt however. Just in the same way that he would wait until a convenient time to fire me (if he actually wanted to) I am waiting for a convenient time to leave.

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Don't focus on the things that can trip you up in the search. If verifying your work experience at the company becomes a problem, it is because they liked you enough in an interview that they are now checking out everything for due diligence. HR does not spend money on people they will not hire, so it will be a good problem to have.

A possible solution is from any ex-employees that left the company voluntarily. Reach out to them, first to reconnect and only then as a reference. Since you worked with them and likely saw them leave, you should know whether they would go around your back an tell your current employer. They might have left for the same reason that you now have experienced first hand.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Pretty sure most references from major firms are just "yes we employed 'X' from '05 to '13, his job title was this".
    HR is probably not expecting more than a confirmation, and any official disciplinary stuff should there happen to be any.

They're not expecting a character reference or anything like that- that's what the interview and probationary periods are for.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    darqness wrote: »
    Unfortunately not. It's basically myself, him (the owner), his son-in-law, and then 5 hourly employees. I wouldn't want to risk anything getting back to him regarding my job hunt however. Just in the same way that he would wait until a convenient time to fire me (if he actually wanted to) I am waiting for a convenient time to leave.

A convenient time for you to leave would be about 250 to 300 milliseconds after you receive a written offer for another job.

You don't owe this guy the tiniest mote of consideration, even on a professional basis.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Yeah, he blacked out. Sure.

You don't owe him a vacation, a house, or anything. He owes you at least a respectful work environment. You are responsible for the money lost (or, in this case, the potential money lost) by not reviewing the sale of those two items. That's it. If these are items that, upon being sold at full price, would have netted him a vacation, extra houses, and so on, then yeah, it's fair for him to bring those items up as things he has lost due to your negligence.

You met with him, and his response was basically "Thanks, not going to change, deal with it." He expects you to be responsible for your behavior and the business, and he expects himself to be exactly the same as he is now -- petulant and upset that a mistake may prevent him from taking a vacation?

You're in a fucking business, not his personal slush fund. Stick with the job hunt. Is there someone else between you and your boss, or someone at roughly your level, that you can use as a job reference?

For anyone reading this thread, in almost every location I've visited or lived in, you are never responsible for losses you create in a business. Those are risks a business owner takes on when employing you, and the reason they should have insurance.

If they tell you otherwise, they are lying. Never ever agree to pay for losses you create while working. There may be exceptions with gross negligence creating millions of dollars in damage if you're a senior partner at the company, but, those are things they sue you for.

You really think Burger King should be able to sue or dock your pay if you drop a case of hamburger meat on the floor?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I assume he meant "morally responsible" rather than "legally responsible".

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    V1m wrote: »

A convenient time for you to leave would be about 250 to 300 milliseconds after you receive a written offer for another job.

And that's only because it might take you a few seconds to read it.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Don't wait for a convenient time to start applying for jobs because it sounds like you are going to get fired as soon as he can replace you, which might be at a very inconvenient time indeed. Jobseeking is infinitely easier while employed, because employers assume the jobless are jobless for a reason.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I assume he meant "morally responsible" rather than "legally responsible".

Absolutely, I just wanted to make sure everyone else was aware of this. I've had it tried on me before.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I appreciate the clarification (I did mean morally responsible rather than legal).

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    WARNING: This thread may or may not morph into a resume thread.

I am getting my resume out there and applying to various companies, however the one thing I'm having trouble with is finding a clear but delicate way to convey that I do NOT want my current employer contacted. Should I put this in my resume or cover letter? And what would be the best way to phrase it?

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Asked my mom, who does HR for a contractor:

She says it generally unusual to contact a current employer prior to offer anyways, but given you circumstance, she might put a polite "Please do not contact current employer at this time" next to the reference.

It's apparently not that strange.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Sometimes that can exclude you, but many applications will have a box to check. I've put my own extension before.

• Options
    Warning: If you post that resume, make sure you leave out all identifying information. Not just yours, but anywhere you've worked. That's not something you want coming up in a search later.

• Options
    Commence thread morph into resume thread:
    1013058_10200120268551798_754305004_n.jpg

What do I need to add/remove/improve here?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    The description of duties under Store Associate, should that be in past tense? Seems like it would read easier that way, and would match the tense under Shipping Manager.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It's 100% completely normal to say "Do not contact current employer". That's not even a red flag. Plenty of people don't want their current employer to know they are job hunting.

Also, when a company asks for "previous manager references", they are almost always looking for simple verification. Most companies have polices against giving out more than that anyway. Only if they ask for CHARACTER references do you need to give them the more in depth type. That said, I haven't been asked for character references in years. Too easy to game and just get your buddies to do it for you.

Most places want to know you're not bullshitting on your resume, and they'll do the character evaluation themselves through interviews and internet searches (yes, HR departments do this, don't post your boner lord bong wizard xxx 420 pictures on facebook).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    The description of duties under Store Associate, should that be in past tense? Seems like it would read easier that way, and would match the tense under Shipping Manager.

Agreed. Will change over.

I've already locked my Facebook and Twitter pages, so I don't know if that helps or damages my chances. The other issue is that I can claim I increased sales each year by 20% (which I did), however unless they can call the company and verify that, they very well could be thinking I am BS'ing. It's only been a week so I will continue to apply and network, and see what comes of it.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The other issue is that I can claim I increased sales each year by 20% (which I did), however unless they can call the company and verify that, they very well could be thinking I am BS'ing.

Say it. Why would they think you are BSing? It is a modest increase, not something like 200% or whatever. Don't sell yourself short.