As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Checking for bed bugs?

TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back inNebraskaRegistered User regular
edited June 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I am moving into a new apartment soon. Online reviews and asking a few of the locals made it seem like a nice place and the location is prime. However after telling everyone i know where I'm moving I've received a disturbing reply that the place has had huge bed bug issues in the past. 'The past' seems to mostly mean before 2004 and the place is under new management since then who might have a better handle on things. The most recent report I can find is from 2 years ago and I am super worried that I might be moving into an infested room.

I toured a sample unit and didn't find any bugs or bug evidence like carcasses in crevices/cabinets or poops. But this isn't the sample unit and I want to take precautions. What should I be looking for before I start moving in my mattress and keeping my clothes here? Are there any preventative measures I can take?

TIFunkalicious on

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    A long-term bed bug infestation reeks. It's a bit difficult to describe the smell; sort of like rotting food or garbage that's been left in the bin for weeks. But if it's a long-term infestation you'll know at least something is wrong when you walk into the room, because it will fucking stink.

Have you voiced this concern to your landlord?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Other than checking cracks for bugs, primarily in the bedroom, there isn't much you can do. You could ask the neighbors, I suppose. If you ever do get a bed bug infestation it helps if you have a bed frame with 4 legs. Makes it easier to isolate the bed from the surroundings.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The landlord told me there's been no bug problems since she took over and they treat whole buildings at a time for prevention which is pretty rare in my experience

I'm still on guard and will probably be investing in mattress covers. I already have a raised frame

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    Also, be vigilant. A bed bug problem is exponentially more difficult and costly to remedy the longer it is allowed to go unchecked.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    check behind light switch plates and outlets, it should just be a screw driver to remove, flip the breaker or be careful not to touch the wire, because it'll zing you (not fatal unless you have a pacemaker or some kind of condition), but bed bugs can hide there, check the carpet, and the ender is right, it is a foul stink for heavy infection. I think it's rotting blood, but it has a just bad funk to it. You could always have them do a treatment before you move in. It's so much easier when the apartment is vacant.

zepherin on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    They can also live in crevices in the wall, cracks along the baseboard and things like door moldings and fixtures. The best you can really do is thoroughly vacuum any areas like this before you move your stuff in. If you're feeling real paranoid to start you can also spread around some diatemetious earth. it's not chemical but can supposedly cut the little fuckers up and kill them that way.

Bed Bugs can survive up to a year without a meal so don't assume it's clear even if its been vacant a while

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    They can also live in crevices in the wall, cracks along the baseboard and things like door moldings and fixtures. The best you can really do is thoroughly vacuum any areas like this before you move your stuff in. If you're feeling real paranoid to start you can also spread around some diatemetious earth. it's not chemical but can supposedly cut the little fuckers up and kill them that way.

Bed Bugs can survive up to a year without a meal so don't assume it's clear even if its been vacant a while