Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Help make my interanet awesome

halkunhalkun Registered User regular
Ok, I recently upgraded my home network to all new equipment. Now I'm running on all defaults which means it's not very optimal. I would like to have some help to make it a little more sane as I'm using a weird configuration where I have to subnet a subnet. Now, before I go *too* crazy changing the configuration around let me remind everyone that my internet is only a 3 Meg DSL line, and I live in a 9x12 foot studio apartment. I'm not trying to wire a whole house with jacks in the walls and stuff. I also can't really run wires because they wind up running in font of my front of my door and I trip over them. However when you look at the network map, you can see that it can stand to be configured differently. I also have a cable line for work that's running in parallel with my home network (I'll get to that in a moment)

First the network map as it is right now:
EDeiSRJ.png

Now, I have two internet sources. First is my personal 3 Meg DSL line, and second is a Time Warner connection for work. I'm not allowed (and am restricted from) using my personal equipment in the work connection, except in a particular case that I will get to below. I also, technically have a 3rd internet connection where I can USB tether from my phone to my home PC. (I have used this in the past for emergencies)

Starting on the "home" side, I elaborate on the connections and then explain the "work" side, and what I want to accomplish.

First is the Actiontec modem. This is a DSL modem/router, but only has one Ethernet port in the back. On the picture, you can see the mac address and gateway IP for that device.
Connected to the single ethernet port of the Actiontec is a Asus wireless router. I have another gateway to that, so now I'm subnetting a subnet. This is going to make port forwarding my sever a pain. The Asus provides wirless for all my devices (Home PC, phone, tablet, and 3DS)
I can access the Actiontec and the Asus from my home PC by putting in the appropriate gateway address.

Now, coming off the the Asus is another line called "Aux VPN". This is disconnected for a reason. When my work line goes down (Which it has), I can use VPN from the work computer through my personal network to get back to Home Office. It's an authorized secondary connection and the only time when non-work equipment is allowed to be connected to my work laptop.

Here are some extra considerations when looking at the network map
1) The server is not connected right now, but I'm planning on giving it an internal static IP.
2) My Home PC is wireless because if I run a wire from the router to the computer it will be on the floor infront of my front door and I'll trip on it (Remember, my apartment is only 9x12 feet)

Now here comes the questions...

1) Should I just move my Asus RT-N12 into the DMZ of the Actiontec so that I can port forward the server ports from the Asus out to the internet?
2) Can I somehow "bridge" the Actiontec so it's invisible and use the Asus as my "main" router (Keep in mind, the actiontec holds my DSL PPPoE configuration and if I need to change my PPPeE password, I'll need to get into it.)
3) Is there a snazzy way to hook up some kind of box that can merge the Cisco line and the Asus line together before they get to the laptop, but keep them separate. The work line and the home line absolutely can not mingle together. But I would like to have a switch of some sort that can automatically (or manually) switch the laptop to the Aux VPN when the Cisco goes down.
4) Is there an even snazzer way to roll over to my phone internet if both the DSL and Cable down? (Laptop -> Home PC -> Phone)

Feel free to ask any questions on the config, well, except for the Ubee's public IP address :P

wVo0Rgr.png