Options

Welcome to Babby's First [Weight Loss & Fitness] thread!

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Started running this week cause I still can't ride my bike. I am ridiculously out of shape after the last couple months.

5km takes me about 35min, last year in a relay-run with work I did it in just over 30. My goal this year is to beat that.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Have you trimmed your beard for maximum aerodynamic efficiency?

• Options
    Can't believe I didn't think of that. Going to ask my barber about it the next time I'm there.

• Options
    Get him to shave in some go faster stripes.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hmm that explains my problems getting back into running, too

I'll have to do a side buzz and some racing stripes in there

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ahhhfuck, there's a Half marathon on in town today and I didn't get up early enough to avoid it. I can hear it starting now.

How am i supposed to go for a run without getting caught up in it?

• Options
    Should've just signed up for it.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Just go out and join it.

It's not like own the road.

• Options
    I'm worried volunteers will give me drinks.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh come on nic.

You'd love a nice sixty year old man to buy you a drink.

• Options
    Panic ButtonPanic Button Robo-cannibal Registered User regular
    I gained a few pounds, I think, but my pants feel the same or looser. Perhaps they're stretching out? Also applies to new ones of the same size, though.

Going to start running in the morning again, because the stationary bike is the Devil, and the rowing machines here are whack. I've been getting evening runs in occasionally, but I bail on those too often.

Drawings and short stories: sketchatron.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Someone convince me to go to yoga class in just over an hour. I've been planning to for weeks but whenever the day rolls around all motivation dissipates.

• Options
    Someone convince me to go to yoga class in just over an hour. I've been planning to for weeks but whenever the day rolls around all motivation dissipates.

Going to yoga will make you slightly more like LS.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    i am going to the gym for the first time in my entire life after work today

i am fucking
    terrified

• Options
    You'll be fine. Watch out for the lava pit and take a whistle to ward off the eyeball sucking bats that roost in the weights machine, and you'll have no problems. Oh, and DONT LOOK DOWN.

• Options
    FROWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNN

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    The thing about most gyms is that people are actively looking to ignore everyone else around and just do their thing, so don't feel self-conscious.

Seriously though, watch out for the lava pit.

• Options
    It's cool.

They are all teasing you Kochi.

The Lava pit only becomes a thing when you level up to level six.

That's at least a day's worth of griding.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Fyndir wrote: »

Going to yoga will make you slightly more like LS.

Haaahahaha no one wants to be that, I don't think.

Truth though smoffers, yoga is super fucking awesome for addressing my daily issues with stress and anxiety for at least a short period of time, so you should go. If you didn't go this time, go next time!

Some quick things that might help:
    The truth is apart from the instructor virtually no one will be watching and judging you, because they will be focused on their own body movements (unless it's a sitting around humming class, I don't get those, what else is there to do but stare at the wall/ceiling/check out someone else's butt).
    The instructor will be watching you but only to address your form and keep you from hurting yourself. Since it's your first class he or she may not even offer to physically adjust your posture, at least in my experience.
    Focusing on the very small inner workings of my muscles and breathing really allows me to release and stop focusing on the mental aspects of my anxiety, so I always finish feeling refreshed and really really good, and I think you'll feel the same way.
    Watching people who are awesome at yoga gives you something to work toward.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »
    The thing about most gyms is that people are actively looking to ignore everyone else around and just do their thing, so don't feel self-conscious.

D:

I have no idea what im doing

• Options
    Lift the heavy thing and then put it back down again. I believe in you Kochi, you can do it.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »

D:

Also - most gyms have trainers that can walk you through stuff or setup a program for you.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You really want to get some dynamic work when you're at the gym.

Find a partner and do this:

http://youtu.be/bFkfkuIttmU

A two-hands anyhow is another fun lift:

http://youtu.be/vn6MR4wUq4I

Or since it's St. Paddys day, this seems appropriate.

http://youtu.be/bryEeecj0FE

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »

D:

Talking yourself into showing up is really the most complicated part. Everything else about exercise is just practice, and everyone starts out not knowing what they're doing.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Blehhh. I've gained fifteen pounds back out of the 50 I've lost since moving to Oregon. I am just such a fucking blob you guys.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i have been the absolute worst thing ever for the last 3 weeks.

just spiraling down and down and down and i just don't know if I want to bother getting back up again. mental problems, eating problems, anxiety problems, illness. everything just happening all at once and I just can't be bothered.

i hate my brain and myself for letting my brain get me to this point.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    i have been the absolute worst thing ever for the last 3 weeks.

just spiraling down and down and down and i just don't know if I want to bother getting back up again. mental problems, eating problems, anxiety problems, illness. everything just happening all at once and I just can't be bothered.

i hate my brain and myself for letting my brain get me to this point.

1 day at a time, 1 thing at a time. Trying to recover everything at once is overwhelming. You've done well before and you can do it again!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Blehhh. I've gained fifteen pounds back out of the 50 I've lost since moving to Oregon. I am just such a fucking blob you guys.

Think of it this way, you're right where you would be if you'd gradually lost 35 pounds, only now you know for a fact that you've got it in you to lose 15 more.

• Options
    Also those one-handed barbell lifts are impressive but they also look incredibly fucking dangerous.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    They are all dangerous. Kakodaimonos was just joking around.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    AJR wrote: »
    They are all dangerous. Kakodaimonos was just joking around.

Oh yeah I got that, I just wanted to express how clenched I was watching that video.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Ah, so there are exercises that can help with glute activation merely by watching them being performed.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Butler wrote: »
    Also those one-handed barbell lifts are impressive but they also look incredibly fucking dangerous.

Nah. The trick is that you don't drop the barbell on your head.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The barbell toss is really the only one out of the group that is incredibly stupid.

The others require a decent amount of strength and skill, but once you get the balance down on the barbell, they're no different than a kettlebell or dumbbell windmill.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Any good recommendations on daily stretching routines? I have been slacking on this front and have decided that I'll make myself stretch everyday when I get home from work. Which will be nice given how much of my work is sitting these days.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I kind of feel like crying.

I shouldn't, but I still do.

I just checked and the diving classes I loved going to are fully booked for the spring session (April to june).

The pool lets people who are already registered in the current session book the next session a few weeks early, but I had to miss the last session due to my jaw surgery so I didn't get that option, and then the pool lets city residents book a few days early (which I am not), and by the time the booking was open to me, both classes were full up :(

I was really fucking looking forward to them.

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    Alright, I have a question/concern for you guys here.

About a week ago I jumped up in weight for one of my circuit machines. Basically for a two handed bicep curl I jump up to 80lbs. I think I was doing 65 before, though I may have tried 70 on occasion. Anyway, not really the point.

So I had just done my 30 minutes of cardio and the first machine I did was the bicep curl. I do one set of 30, put the weights down and take a breather for 90 seconds or so.

I go to start the second set but getting that first rep up is proving quite the challenge. I had hit this same wall before, but I've also been able to break through it on occasion. So this time I'm really going at it, really trying to start this second set. I know if I can just get the first one through, the rest become easier.

Then something happens. I get washed over with this feeling of nausea and my lower stomach starts to feel very very cold. I tried to just let it pass but that wasn't happening. I went into the locker room and laid down for about 5 minutes before I felt a little closer to normal. I ended up going back out and doing a few more circuit machines, but specifically ones that wouldn't have me using my core very much. It kind of hurt the smallest bit when I would bend over later but thats about it. Nothing else really seems to be wrong.

Anyone ever heard of this?

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Were you holding your breath during that rep?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    I had something pretty similar happen a few months ago.

I distinctly remember the cold feeling too, though for me it sort of crept from my stomach up to my throat.

Ended up having to head in to the locker room toilets and threw up a bit, but then felt fine afterwards.

Not sure what it was exactly, so I just put it down to over-exertion/some sort of shock, since that day I was doing a fairly full-on morning session when I'm used to doing afternoons.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    Were you holding your breath during that rep?

I'm not sure. It's possible, but I normally try to exhale during the hard stuff.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
This discussion has been closed.