As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii & NDS) announced

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    The games Waluigi has been in have sold much more than the game that Blaze has been in.

She's only been in 2 games. One of which was a flop.

Great way to compare.

Big has been in games that have sold more than Waluigi. Does that make him a good character?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm probably becoming cynical but one of the first things I thought of while watching that trailer was 'Get those crappy Sonic characters out of my cool looking Mario game'. I'm starting to think I hate everything to do with Sonic after S3&K. Sonic rush was awesome but the characters and the whole crappy backstories just infuriate me now, for example, seeing Shadow racing Luigi just made me say 'what the fuck' in disgust.

Sega has broken my heart too many times and stomped on the shattered remains for years now. I used to love Sonic, hell, I'v still got my Sonic toys and figurines on my shelf on display but this game just looks like another, sad, desperate attempt to sell Sonic to people.

In other news, I'v finally realised how awesome Sonic 2 really is after randomly playing it last night and loving it all over again.

EDIT: I guess I'm just pissed off because I don't want the same thing to happen to Mario.

...Yeah, you don't want characters like Blaze gaying up those cool mario characters like Waluigi, right?

At least the newer Mario characters aren't utter shit and activley make the game they are introduced in much worse. Playing Sonic 360 was the final straw for me, that game was complete and utter crap, I enjoyed playing Shadow the Hedgehog more than Sonic 360 because of how absurdly bad Shadow's game was, I HAD to laugh when I realised how much effort Sega had put into Shadow to make it the worst Sonic game ever on many different levels (content, story, mechaincs, etc). The most fun I had playing Sonic 360 was activley looking for glitches. It was a good thing that making sonic fall through a solid object and into an infinate void on command made me laugh because it happened a helluva lot.

And for the record I like Waluigi, his and Wario's cutscenes in the Mario sports titles were pure comedy gold wheras Shadow, Silver and nearly every Sonic character since S3&K should be introduced to the buisness end of a shotgun

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SNESSNES Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I can't stop laughing at Luigi and Shadow racing.

It's so ridiculous.

SNES on
    MP:H-2019-3115-7752
    MKDS Friend Code: 476-802-986-689
    AC:WW Friend Code:3823-1420-6253
    Pokemon Friend Code: 3222 2050 0417
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Also, Blaze and Shadow are the only two decent addendums to the roster, so that's fine. They can stay.

/pat

You obviously conscientiously avoided Shadow's solo game, in which he gunned down baddies while riding in a hooptie.

Therefore it never happened.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    The games Waluigi has been in have sold much more than the game that Blaze has been in.

She's only been in 2 games. One of which was a flop.

Great way to compare.

Big has been in games that have sold more than Waluigi. Does that make him a good character?

She has only been in one successful game compared to the variety of successful sports games that Waluigi has been in. Almost nobody has any clue what half the Sonic characters are.

It makes Big a character that more people would probably recognize so he might be more suitable to the game.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    This is fucking retarded.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LordOfMeep wrote: »
    Daisy screencap for those that want it:

CONFIRMEDFOROLYMPICS.jpg

Wait, who is that in-between Shadow and Robotnik?

For the record, I think Waluigi is awesome ("Waaaaahhhh!") and I have no idea who Blaze is (my tolerance for in-game Sonic characters vanished after the cat or whatever with fucking bat wings). And I'm generally a pretty big Sonic fan.

shyguy on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Because people disagree with you?

But yes, it is retarded. For you are The Sonic Retard. :P

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    No mario characters make me angry and remind me how good the Mario franchise was and now how much it has become an utter crapfest. Gameplay wise the Sonic games nowadays can be good or bad, I'm just talking about all the other crap that they have to make us suffer with if we want to try and enjoy good gameplay from Sonic games these days

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

"Damn, I wish all these sucky sonic characters would stop making my mario characters less cool."

Tell me you don't understand how fucking stupid that is.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mario does have some questionable characters too, like Petey Piranha and some of the toadstool characters. Toadetta and Toadsworth? Yeah, those are pretty shitty characters.

Sonic simply has more bad characters in this Olympics game than Mario does I would say. Both game universes have some characters that would make anyone cringe though.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

"Damn, I wish all these sucky sonic characters would stop making my mario characters less cool."

No, I don't. Because thinking the 47,000 Sonic characters are increasingly lame is an opinion. Wasn't one of the things people keep saying Sega needs to do to "save" Sonic is to trim the cast by about 2/3rds?

Edit: And yeah, people like Toadsworth are pretty lame too, but at least you just see him briefly and move on rather than get forced to play seven levels with him when you'd rather be playing with the main character, as too many Sonic games do.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2007

My quote eariler wasn't along the lines of that, it was just an indication of how much I don't like the Sonic character roster nowadays when I saw them alongside a character roster I actually do like a lot. I mean I still like Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Robotnick but I don't like their redesigns. I much prefer the Sonic 2 era of character design, you know, when the characters still had, well, souls.

http://www.zonesega.com/covers/megadrive/Sonic%20The%20Hedgehog%202%20%5BJAP%5D.jpg

I'm trying to find some of the, almost chibi-like concept art for Sonic 2. I really love that stuff but anything after Sonic Adventure I didn't like.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Lightning Shield!Lightning Shield! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yay, two of my fave characters Espio and Blaze are in it! I'll be quiet now...

Lightning Shield! on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    They really should have gone the Nintendo Vs Sega characters route than pure Mario vs Sonic characters. Seeing as 90% of sonic characters suck and the other 10% can depending on the game.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They really should have gone the Nintendo Vs Sega characters route than pure Mario vs Sonic characters. Seeing as 90% of sonic characters suck and the other 10% can depending on the game.

Ulala and Ristar would have improved things enormously.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think part of the problem might be just how many new Sonic characters were introduced all at once when Sonic Adventures 1 and 2 came out. Most of them just seemed to be thrown in there so that you would have an even amount of characters on both sides of the conflict and ones that were on par with other characters (like Rogue the bat opposite Knuckles and Shadow opposite Sonic). I actually think Shadow is a decent to sub par character, he just happened to be in a really bad solo game. A lot of the Mario characters on the other hand were introduced more slowly, except they do add in some ridiculous characters sometimes to round out the roster in a new sports or karting game from time to time (again, Toadetta).

Another thing is that when Sega introduces a new "meh" character they introduce them differently. They are serious about how awesome that gay parrot thing is from Sonic Riders. They actually think he is cool for some reason. Mario games often introduce new characters as a joke, or at least it seems like they do. When they brought in Waluigi it seems like they went ahead with it just because it was such a laughable character when he first appeared.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    I think part of the problem might be just how many new Sonic characters were introduced all at once when Sonic Adventures 1 and 2 came out. Most of them just seemed to be thrown in there so that you would have an even amount of characters on both sides of the conflict and ones that were on par with other characters (like Rogue the bat opposite Knuckles and Shadow opposite Sonic). I actually think Shadow is a decent to sub par character, he just happened to be in a really bad solo game. A lot of the Mario characters on the other hand were introduced more slowly, except they do add in some ridiculous characters sometimes to round out the roster in a new sports or karting game from time to time (again, Toadetta).

Another thing is that when Sega introduces a new "meh" character they introduce them differently. They are serious about how awesome that gay parrot thing is from Sonic Riders. They actually think he is cool for some reason. Mario games often introduce new characters as a joke, or at least it seems like they do. When they brought in Waluigi it seems like they went ahead with it just because it was such a laughable character when he first appeared.

Damnit, I completley forgot about Sonic Riders for a moment there. That's like, 3 extra characters? Jeez Lousie.

I'm curious how Bioware are going to deal with this tangled mess of overley abundant characters, backstories and such in the Sonic RPG. A story/diolauge based Sonic game? Bioware have pulled off some miracles in the past but I'll be curious how they deal with this challenge.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Who... who the fuck is Waluigi?

EDIT: Oh, a Mario Sports game character? I don't play sports games.

EDIT2: I'm still looking forward to this, because it will be a game where I can use the entire Mario cast, plus the remaining decent Sonic characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Robotnik) to repeatedly humiliate Shadow, whom I've hated ever since Sonic Adventure 2. Any game that will let me defeat Shadow with Wario, even if it is a sports game, is automatically awesome. Unless it sucks. :P

Norfair on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Norfair wrote: »

EDIT2: I'm still looking forward to this, because it will be a game where I can use the entire Mario cast, plus the remaining decent Sonic characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Robotnik) to repeatedly humiliate Shadow, whom I've hated ever since Sonic Adventure 2. Any game that will let me defeat Shadow with Wario, even if it is a sports game, is automatically awesome. Unless it sucks. :P

Wario's Brother/relative. Just watch this video to see why he and Wario make an awesome team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oMrHMmD5q4

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »

NiGHTS would also have been rad, though I admit that I don't know how they'd work an aerial character into ground-based sports.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm curious how Bioware are going to deal with this tangled mess of overley abundant characters, backstories and such in the Sonic RPG. A story/diolauge based Sonic game? Bioware have pulled off some miracles in the past but I'll be curious how they deal with this challenge.

What the shit? I had no idea this project existed.

Weird.

Rehab on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rehab wrote: »

Damnit, I completley forgot about Sonic Riders for a moment there. That's like, 3 extra characters? Jeez Lousie.

They'll probably go with plan A and set it 4000 years in the past, borrowing lightly from Planscape:Torment and other games while they do so.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, this is awesome - looks like this game will bring out the old-age feud between Mario and Sonic fans forever, or at least until the next installment of Mario & Sonic at the Olympics.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think the likelihood of Mario and Sonic being able to beat the hell out of each other in Smash Bros will be a lot better really. While this Olympics game looks alright it also looks like it could get old really fast.

Kind of like how every Olympics game up until this point was interesting for maybe a couple hours.

Rehab on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    FCD wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »

NiGHTS would also have been rad, though I admit that I don't know how they'd work an aerial character into ground-based sports.

OH! Also also, Alex Kidd. I can't believe I forgot Sega's original monkey ninja boy mascot.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hahah, this game is just kinda.. the trailer made me smile.

It was a guilty smile, but I smiled.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    Martin Lawrence OliverMartin Lawrence Oliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I remained stone-faced, predictably.

Martin Lawrence Oliver on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

That would've been cool. Whenever someone brings up Sonic in Smash Bros., for instance, I think how awesome a Nintendo vs. Sega fighting game would be with a few Sonic characters, Ulala, Samba de Amigo monkey, Altered Beast guy, Ristar, Vectorman, and a couple characters each from Streets of Rage, Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers, Jet Set Radio, Eternal Champions...

There are so many cool Sega characters, and we get... Shadow.

Oh, and fuck you guys, Toadsworth is awesome.

shyguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Super Smash Nintendo vs Sega Heroes... oh my god...that would be so totally awesome-fanboy-tastic!!!

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Wario's Brother/relative. Just watch this video to see why he and Wario make an awesome team.

Don't forget Waluigi's use of the crotch chop when he wins in Mario Strikers.

That video totally proves that Wario and Waluigi need a Superstar Saga-like game by the way.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Don't forget Waluigi's use of the crotch chop when he wins in Mario Strikers.

That video totally proves that Wario and Waluigi need a Superstar Saga-like game by the way.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    VashinVashin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i must be the only person who actually thinks that shadow is a cool character but the shadow game fucked his character up, sonic needed a character that was just like him but evil.

though i do prefer metal sonic over shadow any day.

Vashin on
    megadoomer311.png
    Pokemon Diamond:3394 0249 9567
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Vashin wrote: »
    i must be the only person who actually thinks that shadow is a cool character but the shadow game fucked his character up, sonic needed a character that was just like him but evil.

...Isn't Metal Sonic the 'evil sonic' anyway?

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I thought Shadow was always the anti-hero in the Sonic universe.

I wonder if Sega ever thought of making a traditional platformer for Shadow where he goes dimensional hopping using his abilities to solve puzzles and combat enemies. That would work much better than giving Shadow a gun and a car.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I still think that Shadow could be vastly improved if he had Nack the Weasel as an adversary.

I mean, come on. Both have completely unnecessary firearms, Shadow can warp time and space and Nack's supposedly got genius-level intelligence that could no doubt allow him to make for some Ocelot-style gunplay.

If only the design team was up for the challenge.

Rust on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LordOfMeep wrote: »
    Daisy screencap for those that want it:

CONFIRMEDFOROLYMPICS.jpg

Hooray!

I have now changed my status from 'Not buying' to 'Buying if Daisy yells "hot stuff" and touches herself'.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    VashinVashin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vashin wrote: »

...Isn't Metal Sonic the 'evil sonic' anyway?

yes but sonic team never really utilized him as a always there bad guy, he would just come and go fast.

Vashin on
    megadoomer311.png
    Pokemon Diamond:3394 0249 9567
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    shyguy wrote: »

That would've been cool. Whenever someone brings up Sonic in Smash Bros., for instance, I think how awesome a Nintendo vs. Sega fighting game would be with a few Sonic characters, Ulala, Samba de Amigo monkey, Altered Beast guy, Ristar, Vectorman, and a couple characters each from Streets of Rage, Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers, Jet Set Radio, Eternal Champions...

There are so many cool Sega characters, and we get... Shadow.

Oh, and fuck you guys, Toadsworth is awesome.

Dude, those are just the recent sega characters. I'd really love for old school sega franchises to get respect. Fantasy Zone, Space Harrier, Psycho Fox, Wonderboy...

sega's well is deep.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just noticed that while Mario's spectators are all toads/yoshis/bomb-ombs etc, the Sonic ones are the various little critters he rescued in the Genesis games (look in the background in the table-tennis scene). And Espio joins the koopas as some sort of referee/official.

That alone makes me at least hopeful.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg