As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, June 21, 2013 - Negotiations

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited June 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Obvious, yet hilarious.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    God, this was the best and the worst - last night my mother gets ahold of me to start panicking about some thing she read, something about how we're "being spied on in our homes." So I asked her to elaborate, and she started to describe the TV being able to watch us. It didn't take long to realize that she had read about the Xbox One / Kinect requirement and extrapolated in horrible fashion from everything she read, while also missing every crucial detail there was to be had of this.

No mother, your TV isn't watching you because you don't own the evil device yet nor will you ever.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Also you can turn off the "evil device"

Yes its a pain in the arse that you have to buy it in the first place but its been blown way out of proportion.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Yes its a pain in the arse that you have to buy it in the first place but its been blown way out of proportion.

Last I heard the Kinect has to be plugged in for the XB1 to operate.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I feel like at some point during the sketching process, gabe drew the guy's mouth in panel three and then scribbled it out, all frenziedly, all no, you idiot--BIGGER

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

Privacy by Design: How Xbox One and the New Kinect Sensor Put You in Control

Now granted they could be full of shit but then you're just accusing Microsoft of straight up lying and nothing I could ever say will convince you otherwise

• Options

Now granted they could be full of shit but then you're just accusing Microsoft of straight up lying and nothing I could ever say will convince you otherwise

Just wanted to be double sure. It's been a crazy couple weeks.

• Options
    LeinnaLeinna Registered User regular
    I'm more worried about the mandatory evil camera than the DRM stuff :(

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Microsoft's issue recently has been confusing messaging, and not handling the panic of consumers particularly well.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    nosnevelnosnevel FloridaRegistered User regular
    I'm with you, Tycho. I only buy PC games from Steam, and the stack of console games in my living room makes me feel like a Silly Goose. I was really looking forward to sharing my new, digital game collection with my freinds. Oh well. As MLKj put it, "Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals." I think he may have been talking about something else, but whatevs.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    It's too late for me. The moment Tretton smiled that epic troll smile and belted out "$399", it was a megaton shift for me. PS4 was instantly preordered, dug my PS3 out from under my bed and hooked it back up, re-subbed to PS+ (which is seriously the best thing) and I even bought a Vita because:

A: I get free games for it from PS+
    B: The badass WiiU-like offscreen play feature with PS4.

Microsoft telling indies "Fuck you!" while Sony is saying "Hey, develop your games on our systems you sexy beasts." to them is also kind of a big deal.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular

Microsoft's issue recently has been confusing messaging, and not handling the panic of consumers particularly well.

No MS's problem is that the XBO makes no sense and MS's PR strategy is to berate you for not seeing their brilliance.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    I care far more about the "mandatory" part of the camera than I do the "evil" part. I had no interest in Kinect's offerings and functionality in this last half of the 360's life; I certainly don't want to spend $100 more on a system that mandates its inclusion.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Panel 3: "I am become Xboxman, Devourer of Worlds"

• Options
    The reversal of XBOX One's DRM policies still haven't changed my plan:

I'm going to wait until both are out.

Then wait 12-18 months and re-asses. I've got a decent gaming pc and my xbox 360 is still going.

Hell next year if anything I'll buy one of those new xbox 360 slims if my current one dies.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    That mouth really is crazy in the third panel. It's like a spatial tear, a rend in the fabric of space time, that his head has somehow formed around.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    God, this was the best and the worst - last night my mother gets ahold of me to start panicking about some thing she read, something about how we're "being spied on in our homes." So I asked her to elaborate, and she started to describe the TV being able to watch us. It didn't take long to realize that she had read about the Xbox One / Kinect requirement and extrapolated in horrible fashion from everything she read, while also missing every crucial detail there was to be had of this.

No mother, your TV isn't watching you because you don't own the evil device yet nor will you ever.

The "We Are Watching You Act" introduced by Mass Dem. Michael Capuano isn't just geared at Kinect. He was quoted as also saying that cable companies are interested in putting cameras in cable boxes / DVRs to send you targeted commercials. A quick Google search suggests that this idea for cameras in cable boxes has been tossed around for a few years now. I have no idea if there's actually any push to do such a thing, but your mom could have been describing that and not Kinect.

Link: http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/cameras-your-cable-box-150374

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    WisdoWisdo Registered User regular
    AT some point Microsofts execs must have had a discussion about the probable customer backlash. I mean it was obviously a risky strategy they were embarking on. MAssive customer backlash would have been a foregone conclusion. They must have gamed this and and come to the conclusion that they could weather it, and in a few months time people would have resigned themselves to this nefarious set of rules.

Instead they seem to have completely bottled it at the first sign of trouble and walked back every single "idea". WHat gives?

I can only surmise that the people in charge of the original decisions were some sort of neocon cabal that temporarily took over in a bloody coup, only to be taken down by some internal Microsoft SWAT team. Either that or people were REALLY high.

• Options
    Wisdo wrote: »
    AT some point Microsofts execs must have had a discussion about the probable customer backlash. I mean it was obviously a risky strategy they were embarking on. MAssive customer backlash would have been a foregone conclusion. They must have gamed this and and come to the conclusion that they could weather it, and in a few months time people would have resigned themselves to this nefarious set of rules.

Instead they seem to have completely bottled it at the first sign of trouble and walked back every single "idea". WHat gives?

I can only surmise that the people in charge of the original decisions were some sort of neocon cabal that temporarily took over in a bloody coup, only to be taken down by some internal Microsoft SWAT team. Either that or people were REALLY high.

I find it hard to believe that MS didn't have a series of back up plans in response to how E3 went.

However I'm assuming what they announced was more plan "its this or we lose to the PS4" than Plan B

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Wisdo wrote: »

First sign of trouble? Perhaps you have not heard the ballad of Adam Orth?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    Well, I was willing to support Microsoft even before their reversal...

I was going to continue to play games on Microsoft Windows on my PC and laugh at console users.

Still seems like a good plan although there's somewhat less to laugh about now.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Then wait 12-18 months and re-asses. I've got a decent gaming pc and my xbox 360 is still going.

Hell next year if anything I'll buy one of those new xbox 360 slims if my current one dies.

That's what I was going to do anyway. Early adopters are paying to beta test.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Early adopters are a brave bunch. I wouldn't do it but I'm glad someone is willing to take the chance.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Panel 3: "I am become Xboxman, Devourer of Worlds"

Panel 4, his mouth continues to expand, folding outward over his body. he turns inside out, revealing the pulsing eye of the Kinect.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I was a first weekend adopter of both the PS2 and PS3, and never had any problems. My PS2 still works, and while I've gone through a couple PS3's, it was years after launch.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing, because if you're an enthusiast and you enjoy getting things as soon as you can, you're getting the value for it. It's undeniable that you pay more for less the earlier you buy though, it's just the nature of things.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    it's also true that newer generation consoles are much more complicated than their predecessors. especially when almost all of the new systems rely on internet connections for at least some functionality.

the PS2 was a rock solid piece of electronics, but it was also fairly simple next to even a PS3 or X360.

increased complexity + points of failure (like internet connectivity) = more potential day one problems.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

I'm just sad that in all likelihood none of these consoles will die a painful death like the Dreamcast from which I will then proceed to hoover up choice choice morsels from its corpse like the house work conscious vulture I am. That was a good time not a single game purchased for more than 50% retail and frankly if I spent more than £10 on a new game I felt ripped off.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Early adopters are a brave bunch. I wouldn't do it but I'm glad someone is willing to take the chance.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to call us heroes, but if you insist...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to call us heroes, but if you insist...

Just keep posting about your experiences with your chosen console. The forums are a better source of information when buying games/electronics then a lot of websites I've seen

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    it's also true that newer generation consoles are much more complicated than their predecessors. especially when almost all of the new systems rely on internet connections for at least some functionality.

the PS2 was a rock solid piece of electronics, but it was also fairly simple next to even a PS3 or X360.

increased complexity + points of failure (like internet connectivity) = more potential day one problems.

Shrug, I went through more PS2s (2 fats, 2 slims) than any other console I've owned short of the DS Lite (which died physical deaths, not fault related ones). All consumer electronics are complicated and you should wait if you're smart.

I am dumb.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    pslong9 wrote: »

The "We Are Watching You Act" introduced by Mass Dem. Michael Capuano isn't just geared at Kinect. He was quoted as also saying that cable companies are interested in putting cameras in cable boxes / DVRs to send you targeted commercials. A quick Google search suggests that this idea for cameras in cable boxes has been tossed around for a few years now. I have no idea if there's actually any push to do such a thing, but your mom could have been describing that and not Kinect.

Link: http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/cameras-your-cable-box-150374

I'm not gonna validate her political ranting. Ignorance is bliss.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    You know, they could have changed absolutely everything by changing one word.
    Just swap out "Mandatory" for "Optional". That's all they needed to do to fix their mistake! That was all it would have taken! If you wanted the cloud gaming and sharing and all that, you could have it! If you didn't want it, you didn't get access to any of it, but you could play just like a regular XBox. That's all that was needed.

Now the XBox is as silly and unremarkable as the PS4.

In the race for gamer attention, the Wii decided to arrive early, plop itself in the middle of the track, hide it's face behind a giant screen and forget to bring games to cover itself with. The PS4 decided it'd walk the whole track. The XBone immediately sprinted off the track, into the stands, out the doors to the stadium, then realized it was getting too far away from it's competition and promptly ran back onto the track and stole the starting pistol and shot itself in the foot.

It really is a truly "special" console season we have coming up here.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna be playing next-gen games on my pc while I wait for the PS4 to be affordable where I live.
    I'm never buying another Xbox again, unless everything changes radically and all the games I like suddenly become Xbox exclusives. Which is not likely at all, considering I like Nintendo and Sony games.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

No MS's problem is that the XBO makes no sense and MS's PR strategy is to berate you for not seeing their brilliance.

I got out of the console game a long time ago, but XBO really feels like it was a "design by committee" box. And they're having all of the pitfalls and problems that come with that.

Also, poor Gabe, he really just needs to kill his twitter account.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    fueledbyginfueledbygin Registered User regular
    I'm pretty pissed at how backwards console-only gamers are, as it appeared MS was ready to outdo Steam at their own game by not only embracing the digital future, but by bringing us digital game sharing and trading. Interesting that Steam is quietly now talking about doing those exact two things (I wonder if they'll quietly kill those plans now that MS has had to kill theirs; it certainly seems to appear that perhaps Steam could use some competition if it really took MS essentially announcing a Steam Box with the XBone to get of their arses and make a move to try to take more steps forward into the digital era).

PC gaming appears to continue being far ahead of console gaming for at least another generation now (so...10+ years I'd guess). Sure, I'm sure the PS 4 would have had better initial sales (credible rumor has it that preorders were already in a 3:2 split favoring Sony), but I absolutely guarantee that as console only gamers that haven't really experienced an all digital experience that PC gamers have for years now grew comfortable at the first real revolution in game distribution and sharing since...well, I suppose since Steam became the de-facto PC gaming front years ago, a momentum to buy into the XBone would have built while gamers started to actually seriously question why Sony continues to think the internet is too futuristic to harness fully would have occurred. Now both consoles appear to be little more than slightly better PS 3s and 360s. Yay.

*sigh*

Don't get me wrong. I'm always a PC gamer first. But there are always a few games on each console that I want to play bad enough that I buy the consoles each generation. Even though I think the PS 4 is hopelessly stuck in the past, I'm sure I'll buy it, because I'm sure there will be PS 4 exclusives that excite me. That said, I really hope MS figures out licensing and DRM issues so they can offer the luddie version of the XBone for those terrified of the internet and the digital age, and a fully functional XBone for the rest of us that have embraced the digital world already in every single other form of entertainment we enjoy (tv, movies, smartphone apps, etc).

Also, guys, I hope this latest blow up with the transgenders and take-umbrage-at-everything crybabies doesn't cause you guys to shrink into even safer, sterile figures. It's already distressing at watching the change from how outrageous you guys were pre-Pax to where you are today. I'm not sure I can take more of it. Keep fighting the good fight against our incredibly over-sensitive, overly PC society that is magnified a thousandfold on the internet via passive aggressive woe-is-me posturing.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    He is so angry that he screamed the pink right out of his nose.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013

Your original statement is still correct, though: Kinect is required (even if you can pause it sometimes).

8b5ea59a0406ae1b22d215267100ec99.png?itok=MDpDZy2V

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Reciprocity11aReciprocity11a Registered User regular

I wouldn't go so far as to call MS full of shit. But I will say this much:

They claim the Xbone is only listening for the phrase "Xbox On" while you have it off. But, in order for it to hear that phrase, it is listening to everything that you say around it. I'm not sure that I trust MS, or any company for that matter, with that level of access to my personal life. Especially with a device that has the ability to record, and the ability to be remotely activated. Not with all of the NSA garbage going on right now. But that's just my take on the entire thing.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

I wouldn't go so far as to call MS full of shit. But I will say this much:

They claim the Xbone is only listening for the phrase "Xbox On" while you have it off. But, in order for it to hear that phrase, it is listening to everything that you say around it. I'm not sure that I trust MS, or any company for that matter, with that level of access to my personal life. Especially with a device that has the ability to record, and the ability to be remotely activated. Not with all of the NSA garbage going on right now. But that's just my take on the entire thing.

yes, but since it no longer has to be online, it can't randomly transmit data anyway.

edit: wait, what's this about there being a game about female masturbation (re: the news post)?

Xaquin on