As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer can't find router/get IP address anymore? (Windows 7 - wired)

DrezDrez Registered User regular
So...another computer on the network has lost its ability to find the router or obtain an IP address.

1) ipconfig /all shows a 169.x.x.x address rather than 192.x.x.x.
2) Using Microsoft's useless network troubleshooter returns a message saying the network adapter cannot obtain an IP address.
3) ipconfig /renew seems to hang, and then fails.
4) All other computers and devices are able to connect to the router without fail including my iPhone and the PC I am on right now.
5) Unable to connect to my router's UI via any browser.
6) Pinging my router results in a "general failure."
7) The PC in question actually has two network adapters - both are connected directly to the router and neither work (same error with both). I tried all of the above with only one plugged in at a time. Same thing.

There's a glut of info out there but I'm not sure what else to try...any help would be appreciated.

Oh, I also tried doing both a soft and hard reboot of my router. That didn't fix anything either.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Give these a try. No promises but I've seen these work in the past:

1) Disable your firewall.

2) Run command prompt as administrator and run these commands:
    netsh int ip reset log
    netsh winsock reset

Reboot.

• Options
    Tried firewall, didn't help.

Will try the other. Thanks!

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    When ping returns general failure, doesn't that usually indicate a problem with the NIC itself?

I'm not sure, though, I'm not a hardware guy.

Does the light on the router indicate there's a connection (Or does Windows say Network Cable Unplugged?)

• Options
    Light on the router indicates connection.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Some random thoughts to see what they produce:

1) In the adapters section of the control panel, completely disable both NICs...then bring one up at a time and see if either one will get an IP successfully.
    2) Log into the router's GUI from another device and look at its DHCP settings/status and see if it says anything unusual. 169.x.x.x is an auto-configuration address used when Windows does not get a response from any DHCP servers. Presumably, your router is handing out addresses to other devices that are connecting, but there may be something that has gone awry with these particular connections.
    3) Ping 127.0.0.1 and verify that the local loopback responds.
    4) Try manually setting the IP address of one of the NICs. Presuming your network is 192.168.1.0/24 (255.255.255.0) your best bet to avoid duplicates is to try something at the upper end of the range -- 192.168.1.250 maybe.

• Options
    bigbhbigbh Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    As indicated before the 169 address is a windows auto configured IP address, either your connection to your DHCP server or the DHCP server itself are dead.

I would recommend setting a manual address on the interface. If your router's address is 192.168.1.1 then you'd want to try something like:
    Address 192.168.1.250
    Netmask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1

You're not going to have successful ping tests and such with a 169 address. Those general failures indicate that your routing table doesn't have any default gateway. Once you get back onto the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (or whatever your subnet may be) THEN attempt to do all the fun stuff like pinging your router.

bigbh on
  • Options
    jakiulalamchyjakiulalamchy Registered User new member
    ping 127.0.0.1 responds but setting above IP dont work what should i do??

• Options
    So I had this problem again this past weekend. I moved my computer and organized my wiring. The network stopped working. I kept getting a 169.255.255.5x IP on my PC.

I have my Verizon modem/router connected to a switch in one room which then connects to another switch in my bedroom which finally connects to my PC, PS4, Xbox One, and a bunch of other shit.

Cable Modem -> SW1 -> SW2 -> PC

After many hours of testing on the software side and trying to monkey with my router settings, I finally decided to test the cable itself. I thought it was very improbable that the cable was the issue.

The cable was the issue.