As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good online fitness and nutrition guides

manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?!Registered User regular
edited June 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm starting a new part time job as a fitness instructor for a local gym soon. I'm looking for online exercise and nutrition resources so I have some ammunition to create entirely new routines, as well as answer basic, "healthy living" questions. I some experience from sports, but I don't have any official licenses per se. The classes themselves aren't rocket science, mostly stretching, circuit training and weight lifting.

I'm just hitting a brick wall with my research. Damn you Google, I do not need, "1 weird tip"! Anyway, help would be appreciated.

manwiththemachinegun on

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Since you don't have any formal training on the subject, perhaps you should just stick to the company's stock routines.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I've been encouraged to keep things fresh. I have a safety net in that I can always show what I have to the athletics director to review if the routine is appropriate or not. The trouble is just finding a good source of information I can draw from.

• Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    Crossfit Journal
    While Crossfit is pretty cultish and can be pretty challenging, many of their readings are pretty good and are rooted in having good form, or diet for optimizing capability. Branching off from Crossfit are a variety of high intensity workouts, like Gym Jones (300 movie fame), or if you are SUPER hardcore, check-out Sealfit. (my boss made us do this, and i hated it so much I joked that if I was killed they should name my memorial workout after a rest day.) That being said, while I enjoy Crossfit and whatnot, certification is key. It just has that general preparedness approach where you include flexibility, strength, and high-intensity stuff. Ultimately - the readings will give you good ideas in improving basic lifts/olympic lifts and has some useful articles about flexibility and diet.

Mobility WOD teaches you stuff about flexibility and preventing injury. I can't vouch for this as much, but I have heard awesome things about it. I suppose it helped my with my plantar fascia.

Bodybuilding.com
    Your standard "get-swoll" website for workout ideas and circuit training. Pretty sure this came up on google.

Harvard Nutrition
    This is pretty good in terms of very basic diet stuff. You can't really go wrong if you stick with this. It avoids faddish stuff and is backed by research.

In terms of being a fitness advisor-dude, I would highly recommend getting some type of certification, or at least pick up some books. There are tons of books and blogs that discuss different types of lifts/diets and the combination thereof to achieve whatever goal you're looking for!

Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Cool, that's the sort of stuff I was looking for. Thanks again.