As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Scaremongering Thread, now with 300% (or possibly 1/10000%) the alternative medicine!

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited July 2013 in Social Entropy++
There's usually a scary story thread, or a thread on Slenderman or the SCP Foundation, but that stuff is all made up. We live in a very frightening world which does not require fiction in order to scare the living bejeezus out of you. I'm constantly surprised by the things I find out about, either just randomly chatting with forumers here or through my own dedicated internet research (read: being bored and having nothing better to do) that are god damn frightening. And I'm not just talking about Australia, although for a certainty 95% of the things in this world that are borne from the colon of the great Satan himself call Australia home.

I'll just give an example to start things off.

Naegleria fowleri

tumblr_lwek49BKkU1qbcssro1_500.jpg

This is a protist, and it might be the scariest one in the entire world. Sure it looks like a blob in that picture, but what you don't know is just how much it will kill the ever-loving piss out of you.

N. fowleri lives in fresh water, and so you're safe from this thing if you swim in the ocean (you're not safe from other things, but that's a different story). You might think that if you keep to your swimming pool you'll be fine, but another thing you don't know is how wrong you just were. N. fowleri has been known to inhabit recreational water sources (such as fresh water dams, reservoirs, lakes, etc.) and... drum roll please... poorly-chlorinated swimming pools. After you hear exactly what it does, any pool owner would be forgiven for turning their swimming pool into a chlorine chemical bath until the end of time.

It's true, it's rare that a human is infected with this organism. But when it happens, there is a 98% fatality rate. Here's how it murders your guts. It invades your nostrils when they enter water containing this organism, causing necrosis of the olfactory bulbs as well as hemorrhaging on its way to make you dead. But that's just sort of a bonus feature.

It's on its way to your brain. So it can eat it.

Wikipedia describes the mechanism by which this happens as: "The organism begins to consume cells of the brain piecemeal by means of a unique sucking apparatus extended from its cell surface." Think about that for a second. What part is scarier? The "consume cells of the brain piecemeal" or "by means of a unique sucking apparatus"?

But Josh, you can just get to a hospital as soon as you notice something is wrong, right? WRONG. In the rare case where symptoms appear before this thing multiplies and kills you by eating your fucking brains, you have literally minutes before this hell-spawned piece of crap changes forms from a trophozoite to a flagellate, and once that happens in your brain and it starts feasting, you might as well just start writing your last will and goodbye letters to your friends and relatives, because this triggers the onset of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis. There's an antifungal drug called Amphotericin B which can kill this guy before PAM sets in, but survival rate after you are a PAM case is less than 1%. But most of the time, they don't even know this is what you had until they perform an autopsy on you and find out your brain is gone (actually they're probably still eating it at that point, but they can still culture it. Carefully).

Don't be too afraid. Between 2001 and 2010, only 32 infections of N. fowleri were reported in the US. Everybody who was infected died:

In October 2002, two Peoria, Arizona, five-year-olds died after being exposed to untreated water supplied by Rose Valley Water.
In August 2005, two Oklahoma boys, ages seven and nine, were killed by N. fowleri after swimming in the hot, stagnant water of lakes in the Tulsa area.
In 2007, six cases were reported in the U.S., all fatal.
August 2010, 7-year-old Kyle Lewis died from the brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri after swimming in fresh water in Texas. The Kyle Lewis Amoeba Awareness Foundation was subsequently created to raise awareness of this amoeba and the deadly infection it causes.
In 2011, two Louisiana residents died after becoming infected by using neti pots with household tap water, leading to CDC recommendations against using untreated tap water.

Youch, killed by a neti pot and tap water. Water way to go. (ba-dum-tish)
FoRCn0f.jpg?1

See you in your nightmares! Om nom nom nom...

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    D:

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    ...so I'm never bathing again.

Everyone who has complaints about the stench can take it up with Josh there.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Carnival Folk

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desomorphine aka Krokodil
    It is a drug for the poor, and its effects are horrific. It was given its reptilian name because its poisonous ingredients quickly turn the skin scaly. Worse follows. Oleg and Sasha have not been using for long, but Oleg has rotting sores on the back of his neck.

"If you miss the vein, that's an abscess straight away," says Sasha. Essentially, they are injecting poison directly into their flesh. One of their friends, in a neighbouring apartment block, is further down the line.

"She won't go to hospital, she just keeps injecting. Her flesh is falling off and she can hardly move anymore," says Sasha. Photographs of late-stage krokodil addicts are disturbing in the extreme. Flesh goes grey and peels away to leave bones exposed. People literally rot to death.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/krokodil-the-drug-that-eats-junkies-2300787.html

Googling this is a bad idea at work or if you have a weak stomach, these people have flesh that is literally rotting off their bodies.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    uh
    uh
    uh

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You have a protrusion of the sternum called a xiphoid process. If you are born with a certain defect, it can face to the posterior.

As in, towards your heart.

Enough physical pressure, and it will pierce the heart, which I don't need to explain why that is a bad thing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    This is a less likely affliction than mad cow disease. No worries.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Yeah I was told that "Krokodil" is making the rounds in the US. Gonna be a hell of a thing first time we get a user in.

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    you are more likely to fall off a ladder and snap your neck than pick up that infection

so

stay off ladders

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    You have a protrusion of the sternum called a xiphoid process. If you are born with a certain defect, it can face to the posterior.

As in, towards your heart.

Enough physical pressure, and it will pierce the heart, which I don't need to explain why that is a bad thing.

So, you're born basically with a knife pointed right at your heart, just waiting for someone to give it a little push.

As somebody who is deathly afraid of being stabbed, that is horrifying.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    you are more likely to fall off a ladder and snap your neck than pick up that infection

so

stay off ladders

Stop being unfun

Start being scared at all of the stuff that will never actually kill you

Because it's fun to be scared

• Options
    Rolo wrote: »

@Tube

What you know about Desumorphine

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    guys did you know that millions of people dies every day and there's nothing we can do to stop it

for real, yo

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I feel like I quickly forget all the horrifying small things that scare me.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »

@Tube

What you know about Desumorphine

what

a funny

joke

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Got a little way through the Naegleria fowleri stuff, and stopped reading.

You can go right to hell.

There are just things I don't need to know.

• Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

But it's fun when everybody is telling ghost stories and you can just laugh and say, "Ha, that stuff? That's stuff that kids are afraid of. This thing is real."

But you would look really silly with a flashlight under your face talking about Krokodil

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    something something more species of bacteria in your colon than you want to imagine, etc.

also krokodil is horrifying

• Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular

oh boy can we talk about how fucking terrifying mad cow disease is

VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah when you have fond memories of meth addiction, you know things are a bit amiss

• Options
    Jerkbot wrote: »

oh boy can we talk about how fucking terrifying mad cow disease is

Just eat cows you know don't have it. Know your prey, don't become your prey.

• Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

But it's fun when everybody is telling ghost stories and you can just laugh and say, "Ha, that stuff? That's stuff that kids are afraid of. This thing is real."

But you would look really silly with a flashlight under your face talking about Krokodil

Especially when you're just a lowly Microsoft rep trying to dissuade lines of people from looking at the WII U display.

• Options
    "If you buy a Wii U, Nintendo will inject krocodil into your eyeballs kids."

• Options
    Also some TV producer semi-recently got bitten by a snake that ate through his foot to the bone. It was actually quite interesting to see (mind you, not if you're squeamish). The show was called something like Naked and Alone, so feel free to Google that if you feel like seeing something relatively shocking.

• Options
    Magus` wrote: »
    Also some TV producer semi-recently got bitten by a snake that ate through his foot to the bone. It was actually quite interesting to see (mind you, not if you're squeamish). The show was called something like Naked and Alone, so feel free to Google that if you feel like seeing something relatively shocking.

Wait, ate through his foot to the bone? Or bit? Because if it ate its way, how in the hell did that happen? If I was bitten I would be kicking like mad to get it off of me. Was it just that tenacious?

Or do I need to Google it now?

Fuck.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    we're all going to die, thats pretty scary

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Prions.

Prions are tiny, poorly-understood, protein-based invaders that kill you very slowly, usually in very strange and tragic ways. The most well-known prion disease is Creutzfeldt-Jakob, or Mad Cow disease in cattle; it kills you after anywhere from twenty to ? years. There is no cure. That is a statement you'll have to get used to if you study prions at all.

I find that the most sinister is one called Kuru. They call it the Laughing Sickness in Papua New Guinea, where it is endemic and was probably transmitted by cannibalism. It has an array of symptoms like slurred speech, shivers, and eventual loss of ambulation. It also causes severe depression, punctuated by fits of uncontrollable laughter. But the worst part is that this does not happen quickly; you're likely to live a year or two after symptoms first display.

You will live, horribly depressed, struck by laughter out of nowhere, as your body slowly withers and, covered with pus-filled, decaying sores, finally develops pneumonia, and you die, coughing and weeping and laughing and trembling in the grip of a tiny monster that's been inside you for anywhere from five to thirty years, long enough, at any rate, for you to have built a life worth living.

That's Kuru.

The lesson is, don't fucking eat people.

• Options

Wait, ate through his foot to the bone? Or bit? Because if it ate its way, how in the hell did that happen? If I was bitten I would be kicking like mad to get it off of me. Was it just that tenacious?

Or do I need to Google it now?

Fuck.

Bit, the tissue death was from the venom. The picture from it is after they cleaned/treated it but it's still fairly graphic.

• Options
    Whoops, Naked and Afraid.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    so don't drink water, stay off ladders, and don't do drugs. got it.

D:D:D:

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I recall in one of my biology classes a video about a woman who got a tapeworm.

Only in her brain.

It laid eggs and she got wicked headaches but I think she survived since that tapeworm was probably lost as fuck.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I recall in one of my biology about a woman who got a tapeworm.

Only in her brain.

It laid eggs and she got wicked headaches but I think she survived since that tapeworm was probably lost as fuck.

Wasn't that, like, the first episode of House?

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    Prions.

Prions are tiny, poorly-understood, protein-based invaders that kill you very slowly, usually in very strange and tragic ways. The most well-known prion disease is Creutzfeldt-Jakob, or Mad Cow disease in cattle; it kills you after anywhere from twenty to ? years. There is no cure. That is a statement you'll have to get used to if you study prions at all.

I find that the most sinister is one called Kuru. They call it the Laughing Sickness in Papua New Guinea, where it is endemic and was probably transmitted by cannibalism. It has an array of symptoms like slurred speech, shivers, and eventual loss of ambulation. It also causes severe depression, punctuated by fits of uncontrollable laughter. But the worst part is that this does not happen quickly; you're likely to live a year or two after symptoms first display.

You will live, horribly depressed, struck by laughter out of nowhere, as your body slowly withers and, covered with pus-filled, decaying sores, finally develops pneumonia, and you die, coughing and weeping and laughing and trembling in the grip of a tiny monster that's been inside you for anywhere from five to thirty years, long enough, at any rate, for you to have built a life worth living.

That's Kuru.

The lesson is, don't fucking eat people.

But I need a rapid way to gain life force and these rats and snails just aren't cutting it any longer.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    No, it was from a TV show, however. It was just based in terrifying reality.

House did have an episode about a massive tapeworm though.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Whoops, Naked and Afraid.

Naked and Alone is the show for self lovers.
    Naked and Afraid is for masochists.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    ugh what a time to get a headache

• Options
    Either way, it's an easy GIS if you tie it with 'Snake Bite'. I can't imagine how badly that hurt.

Also just be glad there aren't fungus that mind control us.. yet.

Oh, also, I'm giving away free mushrooms. They're delicious. And free.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    No, it was from a TV show, however. It was just based in terrifying reality.

House did have an episode about a massive tapeworm though.

yeah

as I recall, it was about some teenager who couldn't feel pain so she just plain didn't know that there was a ten-foot tapeworm inside her

• Options
    CIPA

This discussion has been closed.