As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The most snugglable political activism ever

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
So mexican politics is pretty fucked up, right? Rampant corruption? The youth in Mexico fears political assassinations for dissent.

Technology finds a way, and the young people in Mexico are engaging in one of the most hilarious examples of political activism I've ever seen: los animales politicos

burro-chon-100613-1.jpg

meet Burro Chon. He's one of an army of fake internet animal personalities that are running for office in various parts of mexico. With catchy slogans that translate into stuff like "It's better to vote for a jackass for president, than to vote for president jackass." And actual, literal television ads. And bumper stickers. There's a ton of these all over the place, including:

candigato.jpg

Morris the "Candi-gato": "Considering voting for rats? For for the cat!"

UNI_HenTina_wmain.jpg

Tina the Hen: "Just one of many cocks running for office."

Oaxaca---perro1.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=64cfb51f-6d72-4c36-84f8-86a4f3bcf7ee

Titan the Dog: "The only politician who will admit I'm in it just for the bone," and "He'll always give you a hand" with accompanying video of the dog shaking on command.

A unique take on politics - memes as political action. The best part? These candidates are leading by enormous margins in (admittedly informal) polls:

IivfD09.png

thumbs up to this

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I'm surprised an internet meme hasn't already been voted into office, frankly

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    A cat leading on an Internet poll? Shocking.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

Apparently it has, there is a mayor of a town in alaska that is a cat, and has been for a few terms. Or so I've read.

I'm pretty sure this is fucking awesome right here:

wvYrFTe.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I am rather surprised we keep getting the same jackasses and dumbasses for office
    Even after a lot of the really dirty stuff they got caught doing here they were still allowed to run really confuses me but then this is the Land of Entrapment

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well I am rather surprised we keep getting the same jackasses and dumbasses for office
    Even after a lot of the really dirty stuff they got caught doing here they were still allowed to run really confuses me but then this is the Land of Entrapment

Mexico, or...?

I saw some interviews last night, and the people were saying that they realize the elections are shams put on by the cartels. I can only imagine how depressing it must be to be an intellectual in Mexico right now.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Why isn't there a political equivalent of the Puppybowl on election night?

Rather than endlessly speculating during the dull bits, just cut to Kitt Romney and Purrack Obama "debating".

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    bce.jpg

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I would vote for a cat immediately

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I would vote for a cat immediately

#yeswecat is their official twitter hashtag

BUT TEAM TITAN FOR LYFE

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular

Mexico, or...?

I saw some interviews last night, and the people were saying that they realize the elections are shams put on by the cartels. I can only imagine how depressing it must be to be an intellectual in Mexico right now.

whoa are things actually that bad in Mexico?

• Options
    101 wrote: »

Mexico, or...?

whoa are things actually that bad in Mexico?

That's just what the people in the interviews were saying. I'm trying to find the exact video I saw. I'm guessing anybody going out of their way to be interviewed about a cat running for office likely already has a negative view of politics in general.

Mind you, I'm a typical american. Meaning I know fuck-all about mexican politics, other than I know a lot of police chiefs in juarez apparently die gruesome deaths.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jón_Gnarr
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Jón Gnarr Kristinsson (Icelandic pronunciation: [ˈjouːn ˈknar̥ː]; born 2 January 1967)[note 1] is an Icelandic actor, comedian, politician and the Mayor of Reykjavík since 15 June 2010.

In late 2009 Jón formed the Best Party with a number of other people with no background in politics, including Einar. The Best Party, which is a satirical political party that parodies Icelandic politics and aims to make the life of the citizens more fun, managed a plurality in the 2010 municipal elections in Reykjavík,[5][6] with the party gaining six out of 15 seats on the Reykjavík City Council (34.7 percent of the vote). Einar, who was second on the party's list behind Jón, won one of the seats on the city council.

The results, which came as "a shock" to Icelandic Prime Minister Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir, defeated the centre-right Independence Party-led municipal government of Hanna Birna Kristjánsdóttir. Jón's victory is widely seen as a backlash against establishment politicians in the wake of Iceland's 2008-2011 financial crisis.[7]

Jón's political platform included promises of "free towels in all swimming pools, a polar bear for the Reykjavík zoo, all kinds of things for weaklings, Disneyland in the Vatnsmýri area, a 'drug-free' Althing by 2020, sustainable transparency, tollbooths on the border with Seltjarnarnes, to do away with all debt, free access to Hljómskálagarðurinn (orchestral rotunda park)."[8][9]

Upon being elected, Jón announced that he would not enter a coalition government with anyone that had not watched the HBO series The Wire.[10] He is an avid watcher of the series, and stated his favorite character is Omar.[11] Ultimately, Jón's Best Party entered into a coalition with the social-democratic Social Democratic Alliance (Samfylkingin) as its junior partner to govern Reykjavík.

399px-J%C3%B3n_Gnarr%2C_mayor_of_Reykjavik_dressed_in_drag_at_the_head_of_the_Gay_Pride_2010_march_through_downtown_Reykjavik.jpg

sig.gif
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    wirocracy? omarcracy?

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

Mexico, or...?

Read that as "sham put on by the camels" initially.

Just a bunch of shady camel lobbyists trying to get more animals into positions of power.

• Options

Mexico, or...?

Read that as "sham put on by the camels" initially.

Just a bunch of shady camel lobbyists trying to get more animals into positions of power.

Camels are just thirsty horses that are lying to themselves, anyways. We need less liars in office, not more.

• Options
    iFa52pz.jpg

MEXICO, BUT FOR REAL