As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Online Graphic Design degree advice.

handsomehomelesshandsomehomeless Registered User new member
Hey all. I was going to put this in the artist corner, but I'm sure there is enough artists and graphic designers on this forum that I can stick my question here.

So I'm looking to go back to school and get a graphic design degree online. I have a couple questions as any online searches are too riddled with thinly veiled advertisements for various colleges in the form of websites like "top online colleges.com" etc.

1. Does anyone know of any genuinely accredited online graphic design programs? I've found a couple that look promising like RMCAD and some others. Any industry professionals have any insight?

2. If the basis for getting most graphic design jobs is the strength of ones portfolio, how important is having a degree from an NASAD etc accredited school? I'm sure there are many people working in the industry without degrees but with strong portfolios and talent.
I want a degree, but most of the top rated acceddited schools are super expensive. Could I skate by with a good portfolio and a degree from somewhere else?
3. Is Fullsail a scam? It's hard to tell.

Thanks everyone.

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Hi, MagicToaster here. Working as a graphic designer for 11 years now. Here is my opinion.

The absolute most important thing in graphic design is not a degree from any college, accredited or not. A strong portfolio and marketable skills will outweigh a diploma. You'd be better off doing projects on your own time, buying books and building up a client list. It will be more powerful than the half-assed vectored cars that most GD students have in their portfolio.

Be ballsy, go to ad agencies and ask for internships. I learned more in a month there than I did in college. This way you can also build up a network of designers that can help you get your foot in the door. Connections are just as important as portfolios.

As for fullsail- you might end up paying more than your salary may allow you to pay off and still have an acceptable adult lifestyle.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    you should not pursue an online degree unless you are utterly confident in your skills

if not, you need the classroom/studio environment

Fullsail, in person, is legit, but extremely expensive and occasionally absurd

no comment on their online program

there are no shortage of horror stories from Full Sail, but most of them are from people who had no idea what the fuck they were getting themselves into

disclaimer: i know people who work at full sail, and attended a competing school

IN GENERAL

career colleges like Full Sail, Art Institute, etc, are going to do a good job of training talented people on how to work in an industry, and freely and carelessly take the money of all the people who suck and don't have a chance in hell of succeeding in fields like graphic design

After going through a similar education and being around people who have done it for decades, I am convinced that you either have what it takes or you dont. if you can't draw right now and you are expecting a career college to teach you how to draw, save your money, because it will not happen.

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    My advice would be to ward you away from this course of action. Having a degree is great, but college can really be so much more. Making connections and networking is as or more important than the degree itself.

If you have a portfolio, link it and some of our more hard nosed posters may tell you if you have what it takes to totally forgo the college experience.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I think in the large majority of fields right now, your education is second fiddle to everything else. So, ninth fiddle?

Work on your skills, build an incredible portfolio, network, network and network.

I can't speak to the quality of these online learning institutions, but I don't think any institution in today's climate is a foot in the door.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    A few coworker friends have been passing around this link in agreement:

Don't go to art school by Noah Bradley

The student studio art experience can be pretty cool, but depending on the school the cost can be ridiculous.

Having a degree is not important at all for most folks. The only time I've ever seen degrees have any relevance whatsoever is in making it easier a visa to relocate internationally for in-house positions -- that is seriously it.

• WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    You're going to waste a lot of money.

If you want training/practice/a curriculum, then find a local Community College or University. You don't have to be a degree seeking student to take classes..just go sign up for the ones you actually think might be interesting. *Discriminate* between the bullshit and the quality courses - talk to the students, look at the course, determine the value vs. the money spent.

You'll get a ton more "experience" in hands on stuff and save an ocean liner full of cash. Also, you'll make contacts in your classes and meet other artists.

If you're doing this specifically for a "Degree"...then you've been lied to. Graphic design is all about what you can DO.. and the only way to show that is to have a Portfolio of your work.

Once you have a portfolio, you're gonna have to get it out there - so you'll learn to go to artist meet ups and hang outs. You'll have business cards - that you should have made yourself - and you'll have a website showcasing some of your best work.