As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Borderlands 2] Humor + Gameplay + Loot - Balance = Infuriating Fun! Tiny Tina DLC out!

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    That's because Sal is op as shit and not a good metric to judge the other vault hunters by.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    That's because Sal is op as shit and not a good metric to judge the other vault hunters by.
    He's the best kind of overpowered.

Two giant guns and a never ending supply of regenerating health. They're going to have a lot of fun writing him as a character in the third game.

"B is for bullet......bitch!"

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So on a tangent, I'm playing through the storyline, and I'm at the end of Where Angels Fear to Tread.

Courtesy spoiler tags.
    I've just beaten BNK3R, and I'm down in the fortress, and Angel has just revealed herself to me. It's been a looong slog, lots of buildup and I'm feeling good. I'm expecting some really awesome reveal, I'm tired from the marathon BNK3R kill.

And then Jack says,

You get the hell away from my daughter!

And I have to put the controller down for a few minutes.
    I read about this once. The "Daddening Effect" or something. As a new father, this part of the narrative affected me on a level that felt new and important and scary. A bit. My daughter is 6 months old.

I don't recall narrative twists of this type ever resonating with me so strongly. I guess things change.

The fucked up thing is that I'm not a super nice person. I'm an asshole. But almost horrifyingly I can say I would do grievous bodily harm on anyone who hurt my child. I'm not saying that I would lock my child away, get her addicted to drugs/eridium all to make me powerful/rich/etc. I'm not a character in a videogame.

But it still really felt like a knife in the gut when Angel said; Dad, you're an asshole.

Goddamn, I have to go work now.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    So on a tangent, I'm playing through the storyline, and I'm at the end of Where Angels Fear to Tread.

Courtesy spoiler tags.
    I've just beaten BNK3R, and I'm down in the fortress, and Angel has just revealed herself to me. It's been a looong slog, lots of buildup and I'm feeling good. I'm expecting some really awesome reveal, I'm tired from the marathon BNK3R kill.

And then Jack says.

I read about this once. The "Daddening Effect" or something. As a new father, this part of the narrative affected me on a level that felt new and important and scary. A bit. My daughter is 6 months old.

I don't recall narrative twists of this type ever resonating with me so strongly. I guess things change.

The fucked up thing is that I'm not a super nice person. I'm an asshole. But almost horrifyingly I can say I would do grievous bodily harm on anyone who hurt my child. I'm not saying that I would lock my child away, get her addicted to drugs/eridium all to make me powerful/rich/etc. I'm not a character in a videogame.

But it still really felt like a knife in the gut when Angel said; Dad, you're an asshole.

Jack has been using her for money/profit and emotionally abusing her for years, don't feel sorry for him. He forced her into that containment space and made her aid him in many of the horrible murders he's committed.

You'll find out abit more about that in later sidequests.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Courtesy spoiler tags.

And then Jack says.

Jack has been using her for money/profit and emotionally abusing her for years, don't feel sorry for him. He forced her into that containment space and made her aid him in many of the horrible murders he's committed.

Thanks for the heads up. I mean, I know Jack is a grade-A villain/psychopath who is under the delusion of being the hero. I do know on a rational level he is the Bad Guy. I mean, dude killed Bloodwing. At that point in the story I'm under no illusions as to his nobility. On an irrational, emotional level though, that specific scene really got to me.

I will say the writing in this game has definitely surprised me here and there. I know there's a lot of jokes and antics, but when the dark stuff peeks through, it's grim as hell.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

Courtesy spoiler tags.

And then Jack says.

On the other hand...

HIRYU THIS IS NOT FOR YOU TO READ
    GO AWAY HIRYU IM TALKING TO DR CHAOS
    While all that is true.

Her power is the ability to hack reality itself. Jack put her in that containment space because she killed her mother with that power: it restricts what she can hack. He's terribly afraid of her and for good reason. She is the most powerful siren, the most powerful entity, in the universe, bar none. He does genuinely love her as well. He's twisted and believes he's doing it for her own good, and he's wrong about that, but he isn't faking his fear for her life and he isn't messing about when he grieves for her.

I'm sorry but unfortunately Jack is not a simple villain. Those writers are bastards eh. Making you feel these complicated emotions.

I still hate him though.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Courtesy spoiler tags.

And then Jack says.

On the other hand...

While all that is true.

Her power is the ability to hack reality itself. Jack put her in that containment space because she killed her mother with that power: it restricts what she can hack. He's terribly afraid of her and for good reason. She was the most powerful siren, the most powerful entity, in the universe, bar none.

I'm sorry but unfortunately Jack is not a simple villain. Those writers are bastards eh. Making you feel these complicated emotions.

I still hate him though.
    You're giving Jack far too much credit. He's a good villain but he's actually rather pathetic and petty.

Jack's love for Angel is far exceeded by his own ego, greed and anger to rise above his own station. Does he love Angel? I'm sure he thinks he does and fashions himself the father of the year but he hasn't helped her, he's turned her into his prisoner, puppet and genie all in one.

Jack has people feelings like most people but there is no doubt that Jack is a monstrous human being, hooking Angel up in a machine to restrain her powers and making her feel like a freak that owes him a life of servitude and a weapon to indiscriminately kill whoever annoys him. You can listen to the way he talks to her on the echo tapes and basically hear how pissed he still is at her for what happened to his wife.

Angel needed a way to restrain her powers (no one is arguing against that) but Jack went too far afterwards, he turned it into a horror show. He turned his daughter's pain and misery into his own wish fulfillment fantasy. It's disgusting.

Who knows if there could ever have been a way for her to be free of his weird shock collars and live a normal life while learning to control her powers and use them for good. I doubt Jack made much of an effort looking into that after strapping her into the machine and seeing an opportunity while eventually driving her to suicidal depression.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    I haven't finished playing through the game ... Hell I don't even think I am half way yet. What I love is that I can read a spoiler and not have it affect my desire to continue with the game.

So while some people stay away from spoilers I couldn't care less since it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the story.

*proceeds to read ALL the spoilers ... and then go 'that's so cool'*

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    to me, borderlands 2 hits the same notes of 'oh, that was awesome! also, grim as FUCK' that saints row 2 did.

horrible things happen at the same time as amazing things, so you're left with a weird soup of feelings that's very memorable.
    a certain character's death made me fail a quiz, i was so distraught

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Just started Ultimate Vault Hunter. I know this strategy won't last very long at all, but as of right now I'm killing everything in sight by slagging them (with Rubi), then running into the middle of the pack, letting them lower my shield, and laughing maniacally as the Firehawk Novas do over 120k to everything with each blast all while healing me to full.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    to me, borderlands 2 hits the same notes of 'oh, that was awesome! also, grim as FUCK' that saints row 2 did.

horrible things happen at the same time as amazing things, so you're left with a weird soup of feelings that's very memorable.
    Yeah, the comedy sheen is there to mask the fact that Pandora is a dark fucking place full of the worst parts of the human condition.

The perfect example is Tannis. She's hilarious, so long as you don't listen to how she got there.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Sorce wrote: »

Yeah, the comedy sheen is there to mask the fact that Pandora is a dark fucking place full of the worst parts of the human condition.

The perfect example is Tannis. She's hilarious, so long as you don't listen to how she got there.
    Or the bit in 2 where she mentions a lot of the bandits on Pandora are former employees of companies like Dahl and Hyperion that were abandoned on the planet and slowly went insane.

"We're all broken because of them"

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options

See also: Moxxi. She outright says that her innuendos are a defense mechanism.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

See also: Moxxi. She outright says that her innuendos are a defense mechanism.
    That was hilarious though.

"Nobody eats my girlfriends but me....oh god, I just threw up in my mouth. Went too far."

Moxxi is always funny when you least expect it. Like the conversation with Mordecai.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So, did Hyperion fuck up Pandora that badly? Listening to those logs, Tannis mentions that Pandora has a 90 hour long day (which was a great way to make the first game not have a day/night cycle) but now, it does. And it's really freakin fast now too.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    There was a day/night cycle in BL1, we just weren't getting BA-Ranks for noticing.

And it's not Hyperion that fucked up Pandora per se. It was Dahl through their own incompetence, then Atlas through their various muscles (led by Commandant Steele, and to a lesser extent General Knoxx) until the Original Four bunked that up, THEN Hyperion kind of sauntered (moseyed?) over and decided to level the place and start from scratch, which is where BL2 comes in.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

Courtesy spoiler tags.

And then Jack says.

On the other hand...

While all that is true.

Her power is the ability to hack reality itself. Jack put her in that containment space because she killed her mother with that power: it restricts what she can hack. He's terribly afraid of her and for good reason. She was the most powerful siren, the most powerful entity, in the universe, bar none.

I still hate him though.
    You're giving Jack far too much credit. He's a good villain but he's actually rather pathetic and petty.

Jack's love for Angel is far exceeded by his own ego, greed and anger to rise above his own station. Does he love Angel? I'm sure he thinks he does and fashions himself the father of the year but he hasn't helped her, he's turned her into his prisoner, puppet and genie all in one.

Jack has people feelings like most people but there is no doubt that Jack is a monstrous human being, hooking Angel up in a machine to restrain her powers and making her feel like a freak that owes him a life of servitude and a weapon to indiscriminately kill whoever annoys him. You can listen to the way he talks to her on the echo tapes and basically hear how pissed he still is at her for what happened to his wife.

Angel needed a way to restrain her powers (no one is arguing against that) but Jack went too far afterwards, he turned it into a horror show. He turned his daughter's pain and misery into his own wish fulfillment fantasy. It's disgusting.

Who knows if there could ever have been a way for her to be free of his weird shock collars and live a normal life while learning to control her powers and use them for good. I doubt Jack made much of an effort looking into that after strapping her into the machine and seeing an opportunity while eventually driving her to suicidal depression.

Preaching to the choir buddy.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    On the other hand...

Jack put her in that containment space because she killed her mother with that power
    Ehhhhhh...
    In the "Get to Know Jack" quest, one of the audio logs says Jack's wife suggested that he 'shut down the Angel' before her disappearance. Considering Jack, I'm willing to believe "Angel killed her mother" means "the fact that I enslaved my daughter caused my wife and I to have a fight so I had to kill her."

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    So, beat the Warrior and unlocked Ultimate. As a side bonus, I get back to Sanctuary and all those quests I ignored are now bumped up to 50.

Of course my friend who helped me blitzed through a part of the campaign to unlock Ultimate doesn't like seeing all those yellow exclamation marks so he would just grabs the quests anyway and then not do them.

So of course I had to rub it in his face "shoulda waited..."

His reply: "Damn you!"

Anyway, debating on if I should get another character to 50 or keep pushing to 72 with Gaige.

Also, that Warrior fight? Hella easy with a Burn-proof shield. I was only taking damage from the Rakks, Crystals and the Tail.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Welp. Beat Warrior. No legendary drops. Sigh. I think I can farm him though right?

• Options
    Eh, on TVHM I got a Boomeranger from Bunker and that was the last legendary I got. Though Jack+Warrior did give me about 20 Erridium so I was happy about that. Now that I'm on Ultimate... I might start farming for gear. Even still, I might just wait anyway.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    On the other hand...

Jack put her in that containment space because she killed her mother with that power
    Ehhhhhh...
    In the "Get to Know Jack" quest, one of the audio logs says Jack's wife suggested that he 'shut down the Angel' before her disappearance. Considering Jack, I'm willing to believe "Angel killed her mother" means "the fact that I enslaved my daughter caused my wife and I to have a fight so I had to kill her."
    or perhaps jack's experiments resulted in angel frying her mom. either way, I don't think anyone can undeniably say that jack, mom and angel were one happy family when one day angel had a siren spasm, killed her mom and made jack go mad. I'm of the firm belief that Jack was always a mad asshole. Makes you kind of wonder what sort of woman would marry him. Or did he do that through intimidation as well?

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    On the other hand...

Ehhhhhh...
    or perhaps jack's experiments resulted in angel frying her mom. either way, I don't think anyone can undeniably say that jack, mom and angel were one happy family when one day angel had a siren spasm, killed her mom and made jack go mad. I'm of the firm belief that Jack was always a mad asshole. Makes you kind of wonder what sort of woman would marry him. Or did he do that through intimidation as well?
    I think he's the victim that became the bully.

Introverted, soft-spoken, probably smart (and watched a lot of TV/movies), and definitely picked on throughout school and then life in general, and possibly a bit unstable as a result. Meanwhile his life probably wasn't shit, but it wasn't super-awesome, then the stuff with the Vaults started happening. And being the smart cookie he was, he figured out how to "track" them. Then he was blessed with a Siren for a daughter. Then it pretty much snowballed and everyone that had been wrong about him was going to pay... because he's the damn hero in the story, and clearly bullies are the villains.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Well according to Moxxi he was pretty nice until he set all those people on fire. :lol:

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Well according to Moxxi he was pretty nice until he set all those people on fire. :lol:

moxxi being an excellent judge of character and all :rolleyes:

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    She said she thought he was pretty nice until then.

See: The discussion of Choking v. Strangulation.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Welp. Beat Warrior. No legendary drops. Sigh. I think I can farm him though right?
    this is a reasonably frequent occurrence; anything you here about him having a "100% drop rate" in the story is nonsense

as for farming, i honestly don't think it's worth it

his only good drop is the conference call and your odds are slim as all hell of picking that up

Elendil on
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    this is a reasonably frequent occurrence; anything you here about him having a "100% drop rate" in the story is nonsense

his only good drop is the conference call and your odds are slim as all hell of picking that up

You should farm the Warrior if and only if you need more eridium.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Does that increase with difficulty, or can I drop back Down to normal with my 52 and smack the Warrior around like a bitch to get a decent amount?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Elendil wrote: »

Yeah, I think I've gotten a Conference Call maybe once in the hojillion* times I've killed The Warrior. Usually it's a Flakker or the Leech. Though it usually is consistent about at least getting an orange, though that's not happened a couple times.

Now BNK3R... that fucker's never dropped an orange for me in his life.

That's a technical term, clearly.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Should I even try farming the Warrior for better loot at this point? I'm lvl 31. Or is it better to go ahead and start tvhm?

• Options
    DLC should scale with you. At the very least Tina and Hammerlock cap at 35 so you can do that before jumping into TVHM

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I don't know about all of Torgue, but at least the Beatdown stays at 30 (maybe 35) on normal through the first 4 (?) rounds, then scales (at least to 50, maybe higher)

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Scarlett and Torgue don't scale, however Tier 3 activities in Torgue are always Lv.50 no matter your level. Tina and Hammerlock do scale, but only within a certain amount, so you can still ultimately be overlevelled for them.

UVHM tosses that out the window of course, because the whole game is re-balanced to be the same level (or within one if you Ding) as the player.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah well. Hammerlock dlc is murdering me. I am dying multiple times per encounter. Also I think the damn game glitched out and I lost a few non-equipped guns. Gonna lvl Krieg while I think about what to do.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Yeah well. Hammerlock dlc is murdering me. I am dying multiple times per encounter. Also I think the damn game glitched out and I lost a few non-equipped guns. Gonna lvl Krieg while I think about what to do.

That's cause witch drs are BS

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Only time I've gotten a Conference Call was from the Handsome Sorcerer. Don't think I've ever gotten a orange from the Warrior, although I did get a Bouncing (Bonnie?) from those loot midget engineers in the Preserve.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options

3 players (2 Gauges and a Zero) and witch doctors are STILL bullshit.

That and tribals suddenly leveling up a few times.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    What you need is a krieg. Release the Beasts 4 seconds of invulnerability rather neatly phases him through their most annoying attacks. They finish their twister thingy or aoe attack or whatever just in time to see Krieg looming over them.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

3 players (2 Gauges and a Zero) and witch doctors are STILL bullshit.

That and tribals suddenly leveling up a few times.
    you could go with 3 players.

or you could go with 1 Sal.

The choice is clear. B)

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy