As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Card Hunter] now, Card Hunter Forever.

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited July 2013 in Games and Technology
“My favorite game of PAX 2012 was Card Hunter. There is no pause between the question and the answer. Card Hunter now, Card Hunter forever.” Tycho, Penny Arcade

Card Hunter is an online collectible card game with some twists:

-It’s free to play and you can win cards by playing the game.
-Search dungeons to find treasure and then equip your loot to build out your decks.
-Use your cards to move your characters and battle monsters’ decks.

It's a CCG with an RPG twist. You don't directly put cards into a deck. You equip your party with gear and each piece of gear has cards attached to it. Each party member draws cards during combat and you use those to move, attack, etc. on a turn based grid. It's got a fantastic "playing DND in the basement" feel and aesthetic to it. It's flash, so you can play no matter your OS!

http://www.cardhunter.com/game-info/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m60MJCvfxw

FAQ:
FAQ
Where do I play Card Hunter?
Card Hunter will be playable in a browser using Flash. We hope to provide a downloadable client as well. We are also looking at iOS and Android tablet versions.

When will the game be released?
We don’t have a firm release date yet. We have been in a closed Beta since January 2013. Our goal is to hit a quality level rather than a release date, so we can’t commit to anything definite in terms of a time frame.

Will there be a Beta? How do I get in?
Yes! It’s already happening. Sign up to play the beta!

Will there by competitive multi-player? Co-op play? How much single-player content will there be?
Card Hunter is both a single-player game and a multi-player game. The game will feature competitive multi-player at launch. In time, we plan to add a co-operative mode and other group play modes as well.

What will I have to pay?
You can play Card Hunter for free. However, if you wish, you can buy some stuff with real money. You can subscribe to become a member of the Card Hunter Club. This boosts your loot drops. You can buy treasure chests that contain loot and costumes for your characters. You can also buy some Treasure Hunt adventures which give you an epic quality item if you complete them.

Aren’t free to play games just designed to make you have to pay to win?
Some free to play games are designed that way, but our model is that we want to provide you a great free experience with the option of purchasing stuff if you like the game and want to enhance your experience. We are striving hard to make sure the game isn’t “pay to win”. With the exception of the Treasure Hunts and the costumes, you can access everything else in the game for free.

Where can I get more information on the actual game?
Read what the press are saying about Card Hunter here Press. We have also written a series of developer diaries as part of the blog that contains a lot more information.

Isn’t a browser based Flash game going to be “dumbed down”?
Flash is just another technology. A lot of Flash games are rather simple for reasons that have nothing to do with Flash itself. We think you’ll find there’s more than enough depth and intriguing gameplay in Card Hunter. The browser model allows us to avoid a lot of compatibility problems – you should be able to play on a PC, Mac or any platform where you can run a Flash player.

What role are Richard Garfield and Skaff Elias playing in development?
Richard and Skaff are working as design consultants on the game. They’re helping us make sure this is a truly great collectible card game.

I want to make a Let’s Play video of the game. Can I? Can I monetise my video?
We here at Blue Manchu welcome you to use Card Hunter content to make ”Let’s Play” type videos and are happy for you to publish them online. But, to better maintain order in the land of Cardhuntria, we first ask that you abide by these rules. Decree the First: Include a copyright attribution in the form of ”The game shown is © 2011,2012, and 2013 of Blue Manchu Pty Ltd”. Decree the Second: Blue Manchu reserves the right to revoke this authorization at our discretion at any time, for example, if we think that you are using the material for some purpose which might infringe our copyrights or trademarks (like copying our game). Decree the Third: Recall that Card Hunter and all of its associated intellectual property is owned exclusively by Blue Manchu. If you break these rules, please be advised that we will send forth a force more terrifying than Melvelous, Greenfang, and Xanthicius the Yellow Dragon combined: our IP attorney.

I want to work on the game. How do I apply?
Check out the Team page for job announcements and contact details.

Will Blue Manchu be doing other projects? Will you ever do games like Irrational Games made?
Yes, we hope to do other projects in the future, and possibly first-person 3D games. We have nothing to announce yet though.

The game is currently in beta but accepting applications here: http://www.cardhunter.com/

Screenshots:
battle-screen-030611.jpg

card-hunter-team.jpg

Anyone else in? I'm SniperGuy210. I recorded a Lets Play of it and will be posting that soon. There's no NDA on it thus far.

SniperGuy on

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxbuqIwNwZI&feature=youtu.be

Let's Play with a full mission in there. Let me know if this video is terrible.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I have my eye on this but no beta for me. :(

Still waiting.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I got into the beta. It's...um...well, the f2p elements are more forgiving than most f2p games, but they're still annoying and hamper the game. The slow leveling and inability to repeat dungeons per day is unnecessary, as is showing you the loot you can't get unless you toss money at them. Their subscription is also overpriced for what you get, imo.

I was pretty psyched for this, but the Beta has warned me off. I love the concept though, and the gameplay is pretty good.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I haven't yet hit the point where I feel like repeating a dungeon, but I really like the thing where they show me exactly what I would be getting if I subscribed. It's not a nebulous benefit it is a specific you would get THIS, not "an extra item."

So far I haven't hit anything that made me think "Oh damn, I wish I was paying for the game." It is also still in beta.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i heard there would be another wipe eventually, so i played to about lv. 5 and then stopped, so that i can enjoy it again later, with grinding having an actual payoff. i dunno, whenever i have to start over in a game it gives me an immediate, sharp feeling of loss and puts it on the back burner for months.

triple elven mages forever! triple elf mage for life.

it's fun, and the aesthetic side is really well-done. it's also kind of frustrating evaluating items early on, but then when you start putting your team together, you figure it out.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I just got a beta invite in my inbox and am pretty excited by it. I won't get a chance to actually play it until later today or tomorrow after work though.

If I like it I might stream it or something for a while (no NDA is awesome)

Edit: I'm Phenyhelm in the game.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just got my beta invite last night. It's pretty fun. I love that the premium currency is pizza.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I did jump in for a short period today. The aesthetic of the game is very cool. I like how it feels like a DND miniatures game with a solid CCG gameplay mechanic behind it that's not just trying to copy magic. It's very well done from what I've seen of it and it feels pretty fresh.

Hex may be magic 2.0 done right for the digital age but Card Hunters is something truly new and unique. I'm not saying one should win over the other and as a matter of fact I don't even see them as competing experiences. They both offer something different and in the case of Card Hunters it's a very whimsical fun tactical CCG that calls out to nostalgia and the experience of tabletop games where as Hex is a refinement, even a concentration, of what makes the CCG genre great.

I can say out of all the new CCG options that are coming out I can definitely see myself keeping playing this even after Hex comes out and that's not something I could say of the other games I have been using to scratch the CCG itch lately.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I got into the beta. It's...um...well, the f2p elements are more forgiving than most f2p games, but they're still annoying and hamper the game. The slow leveling and inability to repeat dungeons per day is unnecessary, as is showing you the loot you can't get unless you toss money at them. Their subscription is also overpriced for what you get, imo.

I was pretty psyched for this, but the Beta has warned me off. I love the concept though, and the gameplay is pretty good.

This is the same problem I had. The game was interesting but didn't really grab me, and the price for the additional stuff coupled with the fact that they basically shove it in your face turned me off. (also for some reason the idea of it being based around pizza bothered me)

The premise of the game is interesting, but I don't think they executed it well. I tried it for a couple days and was pretty much done.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Common' you bribe your DM with pizza into giving you extra loot. How is that not an awesome way to work a cash shop into the game?

Seidkona on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Dis game is pretty sweet.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Dis game is pretty sweet.

Absolutely. Signed up for beta earlier in the day, got in this evening when I got home from watching fireworks. Played through a bunch of missions. The concept is great, and the style on top of it is excellently done. I need to sink some more time in this.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i am definitely interested in this game. whenever it gets out of beta im planning on checking it out.

• Options
    I also love the older brother, who is such a grognard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So I bought a bunch of the starter decks with the pizza the campaign gives you.

I think my new deck is pretty beefy. And fun.

Swinging for 21 damage like it no problem.

• Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    This game is the Best Game. As others have said, the atmosphere feels really fun and inviting, and it kinda already feels like present day D&D due to the whole cards=attacks gameplay. I like it quite a bit, I hope it gets out of beta soon so I can introduce my dad and all of his old D&D friends to it.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    I wish the default timer for multiplayer was set to, like, 12min instead of 20.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    This game is really fun. But yeah I wish they would do away with the shrink-wrapped bonus item that you can only get if you join the Club. I don't even mouse over that item to see what it is, but it just rubs me the wrong way that the game is going "nya nya! look what you can't have!".

The shop and item browsing is also a bit tedious. It doesn't help that the shop window resets whenever you switch between character sheets.

But I love the art style.

• Options
    Yeah, the more I play the fonder I grow of the little tokens and dungeon maps. I'm also really digging the encounter design. Some of these are really great and challenging. Like the free treasure hunt you get.

And dealing with the inventory is a pain. Because it's tempting to hang on to so much of your stuff, because there's not always clear upgrades. This thing's good for chopping. This one's good for stabbing. Maybe I'll keep these in case I get a good martial skill that helps. Or if I have to trade up to an item that takes a power token I might need to shuffle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    no one has a spare beta key for this do they?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I dont think they give away beta keys to players.

Just sign up your email and you should get one in ~1-2 weeks, if my experience was any example.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Just sign up your email and you should get one in ~1-2 weeks, if my experience was any example.

I got mine in under 12 hours from when I signed up. I was a bit surprised.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »

I got mine in under 12 hours from when I signed up. I was a bit surprised.

Yeah same here.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I am still waiting (been about a week now) and i've seen people have spare keys (for some reason or another) so figured someone might have one laying around

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I am so glad I saw this thread. I got an invite the day before I went on vacation and completely forgot that it's still sitting in my inbox.

• Options
    God, Garnet Demon Portal is kicking my ass.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just found a legendary treasure item while leveling up some secondary characters in a low level adventure.

The Fine Brass Toupee.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Got an invite recently and just tried it out last night. I kind of dig the weapon/armor = cards thing, but I also find myself just wanting to be able to build the decks directly out of the cards and not have to mess around with figuring out which weapons/armor/etc I have to wear to get the deck I want. The "DM" and modules feel is interesting, and definitely sets a cool tone for it. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm not sure if it's something that will keep my interest. I'm still running the starter party (warrior/mage/cleric) -- I saw someone mention upthread that they were running 3xmage and having fun with that. I may have to mess around with a secondary party and see how that works out.

• Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    Yeah I like this game. I hardly even think of it as a CCG, but rather as a way to play D&D without other people. Not that I don't like other people, but when you only have an hour to play before bed, you can't just summon friends.

I forgot all about being able to change up the party. Rolling with the default, I just got attached to the trinity. Also, Fire Storm. It just hurts so good, I can't not play it!

• Options
    Yeah, I rolled with the default all way up through the first module that
    Karen
    runs.

But some of those goblins in the later battles in are giving me a really hard time. So I'm leveling up the characters you get from purchasing the free adventure pack in the PvP tutorial to see if it helps to double up on a particular class.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I am in ze beta.
    It's a pretty charming game.

• Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    Got an invite recently and just tried it out last night. I kind of dig the weapon/armor = cards thing, but I also find myself just wanting to be able to build the decks directly out of the cards and not have to mess around with figuring out which weapons/armor/etc I have to wear to get the deck I want.

It is a necessary thing to keep you from just assembling a 'good stuff' deck for any given character. The token system that comes into play at level 7 ensures you can't just equip the highest level item with the best cards available within every slot. And a lot of good items have corresponding drawbacks.
    The "DM" and modules feel is interesting, and definitely sets a cool tone for it. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm not sure if it's something that will keep my interest. I'm still running the starter party (warrior/mage/cleric) -- I saw someone mention upthread that they were running 3xmage and having fun with that. I may have to mess around with a secondary party and see how that works out.

Eventually if you like the single part campaign you will have multiple characters anyhow. Once you complete the campaign you can go back and redo missions with restrictions such as 'use a party of all wizards'. When doing the NewGame+ type missions, you only get one shot (party death means you start over), but if you complete it with the restriction you get another Rare chest for your troubles. It is actually pretty fun to try various 3 class combos. Wizards are probably the best, though I'd go dwarf instead of elf counterintuitively. Elves have access to really good movement cards, but Wizards have a ton of class items that give access to even better movement, so it is sort of a waste. They are also made out of paper, so Elven wizards tend to die pretty easily to ranged attacks. Dwarves have access to a lot of racial Blocks and a higher HP pool.

• Options
    Elves are the worst.

• Options
    My nimble elf wizard has saved me countless times in single player by kiting like, 3 trogs solo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have an elf cleric. I love his mobility to get near who I need him to be near to either heal or harm.

• Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    Many times I have pulled off impossible odds by backing my last survivor (cleric) into a corner and healing up, or kiting around pillars and healing. Party of clerics would be crazy I bet. Just hit the new DM area (around level 11) and still liking this a lot.

• Options
    I'm in! :)

Thanks @Entaru .

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Played for a while. Got human warrior, elf wizard and human cleric.

I might buy some pizza.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Got 2 beta keys to give away. First 2 PMS gets em.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Beta keys! Get 'em while they're hot. Or, you know, unredeemed.

JDGQ-DSNJ-TVHL
    QZWD-RLCZ-THWG
    CRBD-ZJCG-MFVM

and this sig. and this twitch stream.