As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting a 2nd Laptop charger

HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
I got a new laptop on my birthday and I want to get a 2nd charger so I can leave my one at home plugged in, as it's a pain to get to. Can I get a 3rd party charger at Best Buy or something or do I want to go through my manufacturer? It's a Dell Inspirion 14z for what it's worth. Never had a laptop worth taking with me so I've never had to buy a 2nd charger before.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I deal with third party chargers all the time and have never had an issue, unless the wattage is too low. Make sure the wattage is at least as high as the one it came with, though, some cheap out and are only 60 watts, which is what 90% of laptops take, but some big laptops take 90 and will burn out a 60 watt supply.

Now, if you want a universal, don't cheap out. Those I have had no end of trouble with the cheaper models.

Edit: I wouldn't recommend getting it at Best Buy, though. Their markup on those are ridiculous. You can find them on Amazon or eBay generally in the $5-15 range unless you need a 90+ watt, for the price Best Buy usually asks you could get one for every room in your house or a really good universal... Or even 2-3 name brand ones.

Hevach on