Options

Output sound from PC via soundcard and HDMI out at the same time?

Windows 7 PC. I have a pretty nice gaming rig setup with video duplicated to my monitor and my LCD TV across the room. I can't figure out how to get sound to play through both my speakers hooked up to my PC and my TV via the HDMI cable at the same time.

From browsing around the net I've gotten the impression that I can't actually do this. Any ideas?

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    The way I have solved that is that sound goes to neither computer speakers nor tv speakers because tv speakers are crap.

Get a home theater system and put the sound out through that.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular
    That wouldn't solve my problem as my TV and PC are separate entities. I wouldn't want sound piping through just one system all the time, hence why I need both.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    To be honest, I don't think it's possible to do both: it's one or the other. HDMI is able to handle both audio and video. When the system detects an audio port in use, it will use that one. I'd compare it to having speakers plugged into the back, but then plugging headphones into the front; it won't play both at the same time.

I could be very wrong about this, but to my knowledge it's one or the other, not both

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Apparently the only way around it is using a media player that can select a different audio source.

But that has very limited uses

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    You can use a tool like Virtual Audio Cable to accomplish the desired outcome.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    You can use a tool like Virtual Audio Cable to accomplish the desired outcome.

I do this.