As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legend of Zelda] This thread lost all its hearts and had no fairy left - find the new one

Maz-Maz- 飛べRegistered User regular
edited May 2014 in Games and Technology
hKtuGBV.jpg

8->

Welcome to the new The Legend of Zelda thread! I'm gonna go ahead and skip the boring introductory part, cause if you don't know what Zelda is, then what the hell are you doing with your life, really?

Anyway, Zelda games! Wooooo

These games have been released recently:

zelda-wind-waker-hd.jpg

Platform: Wii U

As you might have guessed from the game's title, this is an HD re-release of GameCube game The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. The game features snazzy HD graphics while retaining the original's cel-shading style.

Don't expect any major additions to the game, i.e. new dungeons. There will be a couple new features though that will improve overall usability, such as:

- Wii U GamePad support: off-screen play is possible. There are also a variety of cool things you can do on the pad, such as using touch controls to use the Wind Waker item

- (Optional) Gyroscope controls for certain items. If OoT 3D is anything to go by, this should be great.

- Increased sailing speed: at a certain point in the game, you can buy a new sail for you boat at the auction, which allows you to sail faster.

- MiiVerse integration via the Tingle Bottle, which replaces the Tingle Tuner. This allows players to send messages in bottles to other players, who will find them washed up on shores of some islands in their games.

- Improved Triforce hunt: a much-criticized aspect of the GC version, some improvements have been been made to improve the game's pacing. Right now, we don't know exactly what that entails.

- Selfies!!

Screenshots!

zelda_wind_waker_hd_pose.jpg

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Wind-Waker-HD-7.jpg

6EIKY2a.jpg

Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZRTakeKTbw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx2XNA1vM9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cle9-5IbC78

sUq0Auyl.jpg

655px-Link-ALBW.png

Platform: Nintendo 3DS

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a sequel to the classic SNES game The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, occurring after ALttP, chronologically.
The overworld will roughly be the same but the game will feature new dungeons, new enemies, new puzzles, new items and a new storyline.

Some key new features:

- Link will be able to turn into a drawing, allowing him to cling to walls and move along them, allowing for plenty new puzzle & exploration opportunities.
- Certain actions, such as turning into a drawing or using some items will drain a purple meter shown next to your hearts. Think of it as a combination of the magic meter from classic Zelda games and Skyward Sword's stamina gauge.
- Gameplay will mostly take place on the upper screen whereas the map, rupees, items etc will be displayed on the bottom screen.

The game has received widespread critical acclaim and was a commercial success, which makes sense because it is fucking rad. If you own a 3DS, you need to play it.

Screenshots!

ALBW_E3_1.pngALBW_E3_3.pngALBW_E3_8.png

Videos!

I highly recommend watching the game's trailer on your 3DS to get a good feel of how the game looks. It is available via the eShop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IcZ8wnPWb4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qAluniNRibs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SE_xMCt9VLw

Upcoming Zelda games:

Hyrule Warriors (tentative title)

Platform: Wii U
Release date: Summer 2014 (Japan) / 2014 (rest of the world)

0zpBJVp.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOq4IiuRMWk

Hyrule Warriors is an upcoming spin-off game. It's a collaboration project between Nintendo and Tecmo Koei, who are creating a Zelda game in the vein of Tecmo Koei's Dynasty Warriors series. The focus will thus be on action, combat and epic battles against legions of enemies. Expect more infos at this year's E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VtafO96JvU

The Legend of Zelda: Wii U

Yes, a brand new home console Zelda adventure is currently in the works, but details are sparse at the moment. However, series director Eiji Aonuma stated that for this entry, the development team wanted to challenge certain tried-and-true conventions of the Zelda series, like having to beat dungeons in a certain order or the fact that Zelda is usually a singleplayer experience.

During E3 2013, Shigeru "The Big Cheese" Miyamoto revealed that the new Wii U Zelda game almost became part of Nintendo's E3 lineup, but basically at the last moment they decided against since what they had to show at that moment didn't quite live up to their high standards and they didn't want to the steal Wind Waker's and A Link Between World's thunder.

Expect a full-on reveal at this year's E3.

Miscellaneous stuff

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Hyrule-Historia-Book.jpg

Hyrule Historia is fucking amazing and you need to buy it right now.

The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses is equally great and you should buy some tickets.

The official timeline. Don't whine about it, don't argue about it, accept it.

Skyward Sword motion controls - they work! Let Justin Timberlake show you how.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
Maz- on

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    New thread! New OP! WHEEEE!

I'm so excited for LBW. Like, if I can only afford to get one game this year (a sadly serious possibility), I think this will be it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I would just like to note for everyone, in case they need to be edified by cold hard facts

The very worst Zelda games are still better than your favorite game

This has been a public service announcement

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    A link between worlds is a day one for me.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2013
    There's an actual official timeline?

But...they said it was the Task Impossible!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Next up on my back log is finishing Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Like the hero of legend, this thread has been reborn.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's an actual official timeline?

But...they said it was the Task Impossible!

Don't worry, even the official one doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    God damn don't you guys just hate the controls in skyward sword? They don't even WORK.

This is the best way to start off a new thread.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Is Wind Waker HD really the official title? I would really have expected something like Wind Waker U from Nintendo. Or just plain The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Does anyone know what they use the gamepad screen for? I've seen a bit of gameplay footage, but I don't remember any gamepad stuff. I do remember seeing the wind waker, cannon and grappling hook all being bound to the d-pad when at sea, which seems nice.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd guess the same sort of thing as in Ocarina 3D.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    So I'm thinking of buying Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time off the Virtual Console, any reason not to? Because I'd love to play them.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    No reason whatsoever, that's maybe the best twenty bucks it's possible to spend on games right now.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    If you have a 3DS, get ocarina of time on there as it's really the best version of ocarina.
    No reason not to get majoras mask on the virtual console though... yet.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    BS Zelda remake give. Now.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    So I'm thinking of buying Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time off the Virtual Console, any reason not to? Because I'd love to play them.

If you could get your hands on the special Gamecube disc, it also has Zelda 1 and 2 on there. You might get scalped though, I dunno.

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    The very worst Zelda games are still better than your favorite game
    giyL7MA.jpg

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Raz that's awfully low-hanging fruit innit

And you know as well as I do; that is not a Zelda game anymore than the P&P RPG I made is a Zelda game

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    You made a very bold claim. friend.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

If you could get your hands on the special Gamecube disc, it also has Zelda 1 and 2 on there. You might get scalped though, I dunno.

There are too many cons with the GCN collection. a) Won't work on the Wii U. b) Way more expensive. c) GCN version of Majora's Mask doesn't run as well as the VC version. d) Comes with Zelda 2.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Raz that's awfully low-hanging fruit innit

And you know as well as I do; that is not a Zelda game anymore than the P&P RPG I made is a Zelda game

Yeah, that's really not a Zelda game.
    Dirty wrote: »

There are too many cons with the GCN collection. a) Won't work on the Wii U. b) Way more expensive. c) GCN version of Majora's Mask doesn't run as well as the VC version. d) Comes with Zelda 2.

But Zelda II is the best Zelda ever.

Edit: Let the flaming begin!

RockinX on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I have a confession to make...

I never finished A Link to the Past.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Same.

Lost my cart about halfway in.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Er... yeah. Got to the last temple (even got the item) and needed to bail for a fresh health potion. Then something new came out. Three+ months later, I don't know where the potions are, how to easily get rupees, where the final dungeon is, or what I was doing inside of it. OH WELL.

• Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    When I was young I borrowed all of the great SNES games from my friend who had them all. (Earthbound!)
    When I borrowed LttP I loaded up his completed game and the very first thing I did was jump down the hole and beat Ganon.
    Seriously! Well maybe I wandered a little first, but one of the first things I ever really accomplished in any Zelda game was beating Ganon.
    Years later I tried again and goddamn was it hard! How did I do it the first time?

As for the rest of the game, I didn't actually commit to and finish all of A Link to the Past until its Virtual Console release on the Wii.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    When I was young I borrowed all of the great SNES games from my friend who had them all. (Earthbound!)
    When I borrowed LttP I loaded up his completed game and the very first thing I did was jump down the hole and beat Ganon.
    Seriously! Well maybe I wandered a little first, but one of the first things I ever really accomplished in any Zelda game was beating Ganon.
    Years later I tried again and goddamn was it hard! How did I do it the first time?

As for the rest of the game, I didn't actually commit to and finish all of A Link to the Past until its Virtual Console release on the Wii.
    You might have used the Cane of Byrna. It protects you from Gannon's flames.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Confession time:
    It took me 8 years to finish ALTTP

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I got to the ice dungeon on the GBA re-release (apparently it was different than the SNES version?) and got horribly stuck and gave up. I'd like to give it another go, though.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I beat ALTTP days after it released because I'm old like that shit yo!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    If you have a 3DS, get ocarina of time on there as it's really the best version of ocarina.
    No reason not to get majoras mask on the virtual console though... yet.

I'm probably the only one, but I prefer the original look over the 3DS one. You can't toggle, right? If you actually can toggle consider myself proven wrong - also I'll probably get OoT 3DS asap :P

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I thought that 3D looked like Ocarina wanted to look in the first place. They could have added more detailed textures, but they stopped when it fit the style.
    It's the kind of remake where you don't notice the graphics so much, because they fit what your imagination filled in when you thought of the original. It's not until you compare them directly that you notice just how much of an improvement it is.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Yeah when I picked up oot3d I couldn't notice much difference. It looked how I remembered it. Then I saw pictures of the n64 version again and oh my god. Those graphics. That frame rate. What happened?

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Ignoring the Zelda II crack (for all intents and purposes, Majora's Mask was worse on account of the save feature simply being broken), my beef is playing the NES games with the GameCube controller. Just doesn't work so well for me.

Plus, it lacks LttP.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    My Gamecube in it's later years had a habit of freezing, and playing Majora's Mask on the Collector's edition sucked. On one run, my Gamecube only froze twice, one of them right after beating stone tower temple. Just exited the temple with all the fairy fragments with time to spare and mid jump across the blocks it froze on me.

• Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    I guess a lot of people have interesting lttp stories. Here is mines: Borrowed the original from a girl who had a crush on me that worked at a local game rental store. Didn't have to pay anything and could keep it until she needed it back. Played the game for almost a month on and off, got to the final dungeon but not with the final item, and had to give it back. Years later I finally get a copy, play through the entire game again and finally beat the damn thing. Seriously it was like almost 10 years between when I started and finished. Most fun I have had in a video game, least fun I have ever had with stalking.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Saw an ad board on i-95 for Zelda Symphony at the Mann. It's getting close now...

free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I honestly don't remember how long exactly it took me to beat ALttP but it was definitely a couple of months. I vaguely remember the boss in the 4th (?) temple, the Kakariko one, giving me trouble until I just used the Magic Cape on him.

It wasn't as bad as Lufia though. Man, I was stuck on one fucking puzzle for over one year. And it was even a totally simple puzzle they tell you the solution to in-game. I had the guide for the game and it didn't even mention that puzzle, probably because they thought that no one would not be able to solve it. Just embarrassing.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Being stuck on Zelda games, I was stuck on the 2nd dungeon in Link's Awakening for more than a year. Stone tablet saying something about a Pol's Voice and Keese, which I had no idea about back then. Keep in mind that the Original Game Boy was probably the very first video game system I was given, and Link's Awakening was like the 2nd game I ever received for it (first Zelda game I played ever).

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I figured out the clue but I had no clue what a pols voice or kesse were for like a week.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I beat ALTTP days after it released because I'm old like that shit yo!

Yup me too. But then again I beat The Legend of Zelda a few months after it was released. I too am old. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Quick question: Beat Oracle of Seasons, used password to start Oracle of Ages linked, beat that too - is there no "aftergame" in the linked game? It returns me to just before the final dungeon after beating the final boss, whereas Oracle of Seasons doesn't. It just lets me wander about the overworld, collect rings, enter secrets and so forth.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird