As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechwarrior Online: OLD THREAD IS OLD, GO AWAY!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I like these promotions. I don't own a single hero mech. I haven't bought any MC - I'm still using the bits that came with founders. I hope they do something like this when the clans come out. Four tiers of clan mech with goodies etc etc. I find this type of purchasing way more palatable than just buying MC. Not sure why.

Probably because you're getting double or more than the value of just straight-up buying MC, plus getting a number of permanent items in the process. No way would I pay for premium mechs on any sort of regular basis, but dropping 80 bucks in a year on something I play more than basically anything else anyway? And getting a total crapton of mechs and bonuses for it? Yeah, I can do that.

I mean, I don't even own any assaults, and it would take me a month or two to earn the cash to master or elite one chassis. Come October, I'm going to have all three of them at once, plus 9 other mechs, all of which includes 4 special-edition mechs with earning bonuses and mechbays for everything and a fat chunk of premium time. Even being digital goods, that's going to be a whole helluva lot of gameplay for the cost of basically a collector's-edition game.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    It's true that doing a phoenix for clan mechs would give people with cash munni a big advantage, but they can just go buy those mechs (non heroes) with MC when they release anyways. I don't see how not offering a project phoenix deal for clan mechs would stop the pay-to-win syndrome that could arise with clan mechs. Now if clan mechs are normally only available via c-bills and a project phoenix comes out offering clan mechs for cash then we have a problem.

Haha you're right Ninja. I like PP (lulz). It's just the value I'm getting. MC feels like a fairly poor or decent-at-best investment, but this goes above and beyond. And you make a compelling argument for getting the overlord package... damnit.

And like how you don't own a single assault mech I don't own a single heavy (or light) mech. PP is a great way to get some.

Unfortunately I'm going to wait to see if the c-bill earning goes back to normal because it sucks pretty bad right now. I'd only get overlord if they reverted that back to how it was. It was such a shame because I thought c-bill earning was in such a good place. And practically nothing in MWO is in a good place (I'm half kidding)!

EDIT: Holy shit guys. They might actually rescale some mechs. Like actually change their size, not just hitboxes (IE kintaro).
    http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/131935-kintaro-ct-to-lose-damage-magnetism/page__st__20__p__2661422#entry2661422

It's sad that this is what excites me.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    EDIT: Holy shit guys. They might actually rescale some mechs. Like actually change their size, not just hitboxes (IE kintaro).
    http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/131935-kintaro-ct-to-lose-damage-magnetism/page__st__20__p__2661422#entry2661422

It's sad that this is what excites me.
    I too am very happy about this. Sounds like it will be a hefty undertaking though so I wouldn't expect anything any time soon.

Campy on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Well the Kintaro fix is going live on 3 Sept, so that's enough to tide me over.
    e: until after the fix and we find out that my K/D isn't actually an artifact of the model, but because I suck
    (Golden Boy 0.13, KTO-20 0.33, KTO-18 0.73)

Although using a completely arbitrary damage/minute stat, I do best with Kintaros of all my mechs (~40; yes, I know I suck).

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    My Kintaro k/d isn't really that much worse than most of the other mechs I own. The 3A is the worse with a .36 but the Kintaro sits at a .41.

Actually my Commando 1D is my best mech with a .83 k/d ratio. Which is funny.

Other run things:

Golden Boy Damage per minute: 25.7 so an average game of 6 minutes just about 125 or so.

Ilyas DPM: 45 or so. So it is almost double my Kintaro. This is using a triple AC5/3MLA build. No UAC5 because me no likey.

My commando 1D with 2 mplas and a srm6 actually has the same DPM as my Golden Boy. That is kind of sad.

Hopefully if the survivability improves I can improve that Golden Boy numbers. But right now it is sitting just about where my 4SP sits anyway.

edit: This is all napkin math and doesn't account for outlier games where you do 0 from a crash or 1k because you are a golden god.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    I did something silly. I bought a Heavy Metal...

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Switching from the non-ECM spiders to the ECM version is like night and day. Not only am I free from the constant LRM-fest that used to happen whenever I was out in front of the main group, but without that giant "BAD GUY HERE" indicator on everyone's screen it's much easier to get lost and sneak up behind someone.

The machine gun version is okay, but it relies on orbiting guys up close while being nearly immune to return fire, which is an instinct I don't want to cultivate since I do think PGI will fix the spider's hit detection issues eventually.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Capsaicin wrote: »

The Heavy Metal is a beautiful machine and you should not regret your purchase. I have love mine since I found a fit I liked for it.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Sir-you-bastard.jpg

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    The Heavy Metal's radical and ominous music strikes fear into my center torso.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013

Tried this setup yet?

[HGN-HM]: 2xLLAS, 2xSRM6+Artemis, Gauss, 300STD, 13 DHS, Endo

I've found this to be a fairly potent loadout (on other Highlanders, as I don't own a HM).

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Tubes apply PER LAUNCHER. 6 tubes will fire 3 SRM6s as one nasty volley.

Which is something that really should not be happening.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Depends on the mech. Older mechs will do it like this. The newer mechs apply as you would expect.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular

And something that doesn't happen on newer mechs, since they have properly modeled launchers that change with your loadout.

Basically, they've said "lol too much work" to fixing the old models, for reasons I can only assume are cash flow in nature. Why balance old mechs when you can just sell new ones?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Well, I imagine it's a time thing? Reworking the older models is a lot of time that you have to budget that's probably already budgeted.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    so, are most people using the zoom enhancement thing that you buy with general exp, or are they just really good shots? I seem to get my center wrecked from ridiculous ranges

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    so, are most people using the zoom enhancement thing that you buy with general exp, or are they just really good shots? I seem to get my center wrecked from ridiculous ranges

The zoom enhancement is garbage; it's effectively a placeholder, because the zoom window is just a massively pixelated blob.

The PPC metagame followed by the PPC + gauss metagame means lots of players have gotten really, really used to just cheesing extreme-range shots onto specific panels. Gotta keep your head down, keep moving, and rotate your torso away from a shooter whenever you see them taking a bead; very few players will hold their fire and wait for a second, better shot. The cheese players just stand around waiting for somebody to poke their head up out of a group; gotta keep in mind that there is zero scatter when standing on the ground and convergence is INSTANT, so if somebody is pointing at part of your mech, everything they fire will hit there if you're standing still.

Yes, it's stupid and obnoxious, and yes, it's being worked on so people can't be so lazy and play Snipefest 3050 instead of Mechwarrior Online. Things are a helluva lot better now than they used to be, but PPC + gauss is still ridiculously rewarding in this game.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited August 2013

The zoom enhancement is garbage; it's effectively a placeholder, because the zoom window is just a massively pixelated blob.

The PPC metagame followed by the PPC + gauss metagame means lots of players have gotten really, really used to just cheesing extreme-range shots onto specific panels. Gotta keep your head down, keep moving, and rotate your torso away from a shooter whenever you see them taking a bead; very few players will hold their fire and wait for a second, better shot. The cheese players just stand around waiting for somebody to poke their head up out of a group; gotta keep in mind that there is zero scatter when standing on the ground and convergence is INSTANT, so if somebody is pointing at part of your mech, everything they fire will hit there if you're standing still.

Yes, it's stupid and obnoxious, and yes, it's being worked on so people can't be so lazy and play Snipefest 3050 instead of Mechwarrior Online. Things are a helluva lot better now than they used to be, but PPC + gauss is still ridiculously rewarding in this game.
    This is an oddly whiny way to say that some people can aim well. I don't even know what "cheesing extreme-range shots onto specific panels" is supposed to mean, or how you can hold the contradiction that is that sentence in your mind without your head exploding.

Hitting a specific panel at extreme range is not easy, but some people can do it consistently with enough practice. That they're hitting for 35 instead of 20 due to the current PPC/Gauss combo situation doesn't change the difficulty of the shot.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I have all the respect possible for the guys who jj above a ridge and core me.I still hate them.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    I have all the respect possible for the guys who jj above a ridge and core me.I still hate them.

What are your feelings to being headshot by a JJ Heavy Metal?

• Options
    I cannot figure out a build for the JagerMech-A. Only marginal success I've had was a sort of ersatz Reaper-esque thing with a gauss a couple MLAS and a bunch of SRMs, then they clamped down on boating SRMs. Now I haven't a clue what to do with this thing.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    The jager A is kinda tough to find builds for. I loaded up with twin AC20s to master it. It was kinda fun with quad streaks and AC10s.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I cannot figure out a build for the JagerMech-A. Only marginal success I've had was a sort of ersatz Reaper-esque thing with a gauss a couple MLAS and a bunch of SRMs, then they clamped down on boating SRMs. Now I haven't a clue what to do with this thing.

Someone get this man the blunderbuss build stat!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I used to run four streaks and two PPCs, plus a ton of heat sinks. You normally stay at range, firing away with PPCs (not ERPPCs) and use the streaks to deal with lights that get close. Remember that you can break ECM with a PPC hit even within minimum range.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Streaks are dogshit now, though. They barely even give lights a scare. And I've seen the Blunderbuss build and I've tried variations on it but it ends up slow and the LB-10X is objectively a pretty lackluster weapon.

Sure I could throw two AC/20's or two gauss rifles on it and call it a day but if I'm not doing anything with it I can't do with the two other variants it isn't even worth keeping around.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Streaks are dogshit now, though. They barely even give lights a scare. And I've seen the Blunderbuss build and I've tried variations on it but it ends up slow and the LB-10X is objectively a pretty lackluster weapon.
    Four streaks is still 12 damage, almost guaranteed to hit somewhere. That's about as effective as anything with the current hit detection issues vs. lights.

I guess you could just run PPC/Gauss like every other heavy. There aren't a lot of "inventive" builds right now that are terribly effective. That ground has mostly been trodden.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Four streaks is still 12 damage, almost guaranteed to hit somewhere.

Not just somewhere, everywhere, so it ends up being like 2 damage each to six different body parts...and for this I'm investing minimum seven tons?

I mean as we speak I am trying 260XL, 2xLB10X, 2xMLAS, 4xStreak and it is just getting shat on every game. I don't think I've been able to break 300 damage before dying yet. It has to get too close to do any meaningful damage and it can't survive long there. Too sluggish, too vulnerable in its sides.

But to fight at range I would be needing to use AC2's/5's/gauss/PPC/LRMs and half my garage is 'mechs that can do that as well or better.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited August 2013

This is an oddly whiny way to say that some people can aim well. I don't even know what "cheesing extreme-range shots onto specific panels" is supposed to mean, or how you can hold the contradiction that is that sentence in your mind without your head exploding.

Hitting a specific panel at extreme range is not easy, but some people can do it consistently with enough practice. That they're hitting for 35 instead of 20 due to the current PPC/Gauss combo situation doesn't change the difficulty of the shot.

PPC + gauss is the cheese I was referring to, and the fact that it's ludicrously over-rewarding for how much effort it takes compared to lasers and whatnot.

PPC + gauss sniping (or just PPC sniping) is plain easy compared to other styles of combat in MWO because you have zero need to maintain any aim on a target beyond snapping off a single alpha; I wouldn't overrate the challenge of aiming too much in a game with large, very slow targets when you can equip ultra-fast weapons with flat arcs and little travel time. Reliably hitting evasive scouts at a distance? Sure, that's tough. Popping basically anything else with PPC + gauss? Not much of a challenge at all, when most targets move at the equivalent of a walk in FPS games. Sorry if it offends you somehow, but the kind of sniping that happens most of the time in MWO is fairly easy; no way would I look at somebody sporting PPC + gauss and say they've got the same tier of challenge as somebody who does great with quad LLs.

I mean, there's a reason it's pretty pointless to trade fire at range with any halfway-decent PPC + gauss pilot, even if you have something like quad ERLLs: the gauss mech gets a massive advantage in ease of use for the damage, while you have to aim for more than a tenth of a second per alpha with lasers. Even with comparable damage, they have a WAY easier time of that matchup than the laser mech, simply because one side gets easy damage from hits and the other doesn't. I've done the PPC + gauss thing, and the ranged game there isn't really a challenge at all compared to virtually all of the other weapons in the game. And it wasn't easy because I'm a great shot, it was easy because you've got fast weapons hitting slow targets that can't do squat to evade.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Well, it only took about a week of them being useful before people started calling for MG nerfs when they die to them.

Oh pubs. Never change.

• Options
    ioncacheioncache The MireRegistered User regular

I like a 2 UAC5, 2ML, 4 SSRM build all right in it.

Or a 2 ERPPC (or LPLs work ok too), 4 SRM w/Artemis, 2 MG build as well

FccUfOu.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    If they nerf MGs...

I will still use them

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Well, it only took about a week of them being useful before people started calling for MG nerfs when they die to them.

Oh pubs. Never change.

I'm on the fence about that. On the one hand, fighting in MG functional range is no small task; on the other hand, the killpower boost is INSANE when you get past armor. As in, kinda ridiculous. 10 DPS per machine gun is pretty outrageously high, but how do you even balance the MGs so having less than three doesn't suck and having more than three doesn't let you core an Atlas in seconds?

The best I can think of is to make them for destroying components rather than structure; sparing a 1.5-2 tons for a pair of MGs + ammo wouldn't be that bad for setting off leg ammo on every mech you use it on or stripping the weapons out of an Atlas from behind. After all, there are more ways to balance weapons than straight-up kill power, if you give them real utility.

As amusing as 6xMG on Jagermechs is, the (hilarious) speed with which they ventilate Atlases with exposed CTs could very well be quite excessive.

• Options
    edited August 2013

Oh pubs. Never change.

They may be a smidge over the line but they're definitely not OP. I need to play with them more before I can really have a firm opinion on the subject.
    I'm on the fence about that. On the one hand, fighting in MG functional range is no small task; on the other hand, the killpower boost is INSANE when you get past armor. As in, kinda ridiculous. 10 DPS per machine gun is pretty outrageously high, but how do you even balance the MGs so having less than three doesn't suck and having more than three doesn't let you core an Atlas in seconds?

The best I can think of is to make them for destroying components rather than structure; sparing a 1.5-2 tons for a pair of MGs + ammo wouldn't be that bad for setting off leg ammo on every mech you use it on or stripping the weapons out of an Atlas from behind. After all, there are more ways to balance weapons than straight-up kill power, if you give them real utility.

As amusing as 6xMG on Jagermechs is, the (hilarious) speed with which they ventilate Atlases with exposed CTs could very well be quite excessive.

Unfortunately, testing a team of 6MG/2PPC Jagers does nothing but crash the servers so there's really no way to really put this to the test.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

Oh pubs. Never change.

They may be a smidge over the line but they're definitely not OP. I need to play with them more before I can really have a firm opinion on the subject.

Unfortunately, testing a team of 6MG/2PPC Jagers does nothing but crash the servers so there's really no way to really put this to the test.

What do mean, "unfortunately"? That was the most hilarious crashing I'd ever had in a game.

• Options
    Well, unfortunately because we just can't do science.

12 man MGs crashing the server is god damn hilarious though. It reminds me of the short time I played WoW and watched as multiple war raids on Dark Iron between the PA and CAD guilds would crash the entire server due to it not being able to keep up with the sheer about of KABOOM being thrown around.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular

Oh pubs. Never change.

The component destruction thing is what they had in mind at first. It was pretty universally decided that a "components only" weapon was a bad idea, especially with lights mechs that load up on ballistic slots.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Soooooo people who have success in this game;

How do I emulate you? Because I've been losing almost every single one of my matches lately. Wondering what I could do to change that. I don't want to keep blaming pubs.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular

How do I emulate you? Because I've been losing almost every single one of my matches lately. Wondering what I could do to change that. I don't want to keep blaming pubs.

I am proud to see if you've completed the first step of the program: Admitting you have a problem :P

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

1.)
    oosik_irregulars72DPI_zps31d47012.png
    2.) ????
    3.) PROFIT!

On a more serious note: The following is kind of my general "how to stomp" quicklist so it might seem a bit elementary but I figured it couldn't hurt to write it out:
    1.) Flanking is god. If there is a primary battle line and you're not in a mech that needs to be holding that line then circle around and pounce the stragglers/high value targets like LRM boats. Jumping the LRM boats is an especially game changing thing to do because once those LRMs stop flying PUGs get really emboldened and ballsy. Even if you die you will still be the big god damn hero. During Operation Lead Poisoning the pack I was in was doing this a lot and we were constantly wrecking house. Learning the maps is a huge part of this. With that same OLP group we were able to use the terrain to our advantage to successfully jump and annihilate packs of targets.

2.) Learn your range bands and proper positioning. If you are a brawler then that doesn't necessarily mean you need to get in ASAP. Allow the fight to evolve a bit and wait for targets of opportunity. Go off to the sides and see if you have open lines to approach on to catch your enemies unaware. Conversely, if you are sniper and can still freely shoot things then why move in if you don't have to? Obviously, if you need to reposition to take advantage of the changing battle lines then do so but moving in just to move in? Nah, don't do this. Oddly enough this also kinda applies to brawlers since this is how you end up with a giant clusterfuck of people all at 10 meters trying to get hits in.

3.) Learn your mech. Trying to get into a hill humping contest with a Stalker while you're in an Atlas? Bad idea. Your guns are low slung and you have to expose yourself a lot to use them. Doing it in a Jager? Brilliant. That mech's hardpoints are tailor made for this sort of thing. This also means using these hardpoints to your advantage and putting appropriate weapony in them. For instance, don't put your big guns in the lowest slung points on your mech. Keep em high and you'll be able to take advantage of any hills. Of course, this depends on your mech but this goes back to playing your chosen variant correctly. Don't use the 4X as a hill humper because all the big guns are super low slung. DO use it to keep people suppressed when you can and as a heavy fire support mech. Similarly, don't try to use a Victor as a frontline mech. You hit hard but don't have Atlas grade armor to absorb hits with. DO use an Atlas for that because it's a purpose built party crasher.

4.) Play medium mechs a lot. Yes, really. When I went back to goofing off in my Hunchbacks after playing heavies and my brief stint with assaults in the Victor, I had realized just how hard my skills had truly slipped due to getting comfortable with the higher armor and firepower acting as a replacement for good situational awareness and positioning. Pick one with a specific role to flesh out your skills in that area. I.e. if you want to be a better brawler then run a HBK-4G. You will die a lot, you will get your ass kicked, and it will make you a better pilot.

5.) Patience can help a lot. There are just as many times when hanging back and waiting for an ideal moment to jump in is just as advantageous as crashing the gates and going nuts. Especially in the current meta where a lot of stuff is out there that can vaporize you if you get too ballsy.

6.) Let the pubbies go first. They are desperate to follow anyone that even remotely looks competent. Seeing as how we tend to love flanking maneuvers and speed we end up with a tendency to have the pubbies follow us when we're counting on them to blob to their usual locations. Wait a little bit at the start of the match before you strike out to do horrible things to the enemy's butts.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    But in all seriousness, I think the single most contributing factor to success is: let someone else go in first. Which is why those damn snipers live so long, they have no reason to get in close, and thus are never the first target in an enemy's crosshairs.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.