As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting rid of old cell phones (Solved)

LankyseanLankysean Registered User regular
edited July 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
So the company I work for has a slew of older phones lying around and we're trying to get rid of them. Some of the more modern phones like BlackBerry Bolds and iPhones we're going to sell to a place like gazelle. Our problem is that some of the older blackberries and android phones aren't on the list of phones gazelle wants so we're looking for alternatives. We'd like to get some money back for them as most are in good shape and still work; even if we only got $5 a phone I'd still add up to a nice chunk of change. We don't want to use craigslist, amazon or ebay. Any suggestions?

Lankysean on

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    instead of getting straight cash for them, you could consider arranging a big donation to one of those charities that gives them to old people to call 911 with and see if they would be able to furnish you with a nice tax writeoff in return which would be nice too

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I was going to suggest that most women's shelters also accept them, for a charitable tax write-off.
    I know there are organizations, though I don't know in which country you reside or if there's a large enough organization in by you that does that.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Sometimes grocery stores have drop-bins for old phones, I know almost every Whole Foods I've been in has a thing you can toss an old cell phone into, they give them to deployed soldiers or something.

• Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    instead of getting straight cash for them, you could consider arranging a big donation to one of those charities that gives them to old people to call 911 with and see if they would be able to furnish you with a nice tax writeoff in return which would be nice too

That's what I was considering but my boss seems to want to try and sell them off first. How exactly does the tax write off work? Would we get some sort of receipt or something with a value to declare?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Lankysean wrote: »
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

That's what I was considering but my boss seems to want to try and sell them off first. How exactly does the tax write off work? Would we get some sort of receipt or something with a value to declare?

pretty much, yep.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    If you're a sprint user, they have a buy back program where the phones you send in go toward a credit on your account.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I mean, depending on the carrier you could try to list them on Craigslist. But you'll only get a few dollars for them. The tax writeoff probably wouldn't be worth the same as cash, but they would be declared for a higher value than you could get in cash for them, making it about a wash and leaving your company doing something good for people in need.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    On the tax writeoff, you list everything that was given and assign a fair value to each and work up a total value. The place that receives the gift usually provides a non-specific receipt. That paperwork all goes to your tax preparation people.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Eight-Tips-for-Deducting-Charitable-Contributions

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    grouch993 wrote: »
    On the tax writeoff, you list everything that was given and assign a fair value to each and work up a total value. The place that receives the gift usually provides a non-specific receipt. That paperwork all goes to your tax preparation people.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Eight-Tips-for-Deducting-Charitable-Contributions

Looks good to me, I'll show this to my boss. Thanks. This can be closed.

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Edit: Never mind

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
This discussion has been closed.