As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, July 19, 2013 - Sand, Part Three

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited July 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    The "Trenches" nose in the final panel, just... ugh. All that otherwise great art, like the panel before it, and all I can think of is that it looks like he's wearing something on his face.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    EDIT: Double post, please erase this one from existence.

Comradebot on
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    What.

That moon has a moon.

This is not the Old West, as I was led to believe. This is either a New West, or a very, very Old Old West.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Love the art style of this, except for the "trench nose", which just looks out of place and sticks out in a very obviously weird manner.

Pretty clear they are out in the alien Wild West given the two moons thing.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What.

That moon has a moon.

This is not the Old West, as I was led to believe. This is either a New West, or a very, very Old Old West.

A long long time ago, in a west far far away?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That's no moon...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Lots of planets have a west

but that could just be some JJ Abrams style lens flare ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    yep the noses are still godawful

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    Lovely newspost. Laughed out loud at the incident.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    For some reason I just assumed the second moon was lens flare. I guess the lens flare thing has become a really common art style in a lot of video games, so I didn't think about it till someone mentioned it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    The first clue that this is some sort of New West (or all a simulation, maybe?) is the voice that speaks to our protagonist in the first installment, quoting bits of the Bible; it is apparently feminine, and is represented by a font strongly associated with the Macintosh product line.

Naturally, I imagine 'her' sounding like Jennifer Green, the voice of 'Angel' from Borderlands (1 and 2).

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    vash the stampede?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Vash ain't immortal, he's just very very lucky :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    heh i thought we would have to wait years for part 3

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Second panel looks off.

I think Mike was going for a "Head tilted forward with the brim of the hat blocking his eyes" look, like he got in the 4th panel, but the hat looks like it was drawn from a straight on perspective, making it look like the hat is pulled down over the top half of his face.

Otherwise, well done. I didn't even notice the trench-nose until it was pointed out here. Honestly, I think at this point Mike just does it to annoy people. On purpose like.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Come for the comic, stay for the trench nose bitching.

I think at this point we don't need to discuss it anymore. Yes, Mike has changed the way he draws noses as a result of drawing The Trenches. Do we need to continue to dwell on this in literally every new comic that comes out? No.

Get over it, people. It's a part of his art style now.

• Options
    BenditBendit Cømþü†€r Šýš†emš Anålýš† Ðeñv€r¸ ColørådøRegistered User regular
    Agreed, the hat perspective is wrong, it's kind of comical. Noses and hands are always bad. Love the sky and how the light sources are projecting. I think that less energy and attention are spent on the quality of the comics. Gabe has other projects to do, it's just the nature of the beast. I've been reading P.A. since the very 1st comic strip...

My Live-Tracked Electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSn2rozrIo
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Maybe that second moon is just the Man in the Moon's trench nose?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Loopy1492Loopy1492 Registered User regular
    Torchwood meets The Dark Tower. I like it. I look forward to seeing more.

• Options
    wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    I need panel 5 as a wallpaper.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I was very disappointed this comic didn't continue the SAND tradition so I fixed it.

sfyTCSs.png

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    ATTENTION

We know longer need a select few people to come into every New Comic thread and tell us that they don't like the noses. We get it. That's awesome that you have an opinion. It's been noted. That's enough of it.

• Options
    BenditBendit Cømþü†€r Šýš†emš Anålýš† Ðeñv€r¸ ColørådøRegistered User regular
    Sorry, Tube.

The Penny Arcade Hub - The place to discuss the new comics, newsposts, PATV episodes and all other Penny Arcade content.

I thought I could "discuss the new comic".

My Live-Tracked Electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSn2rozrIo
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    it's not the new comic, though. it's EVERY comic.
    Maybe the noses need their own thread.
    Or maybe we should just email Gabe directly and bitch.
    Or maybe we should give up and shut up, 'cause it sure seems like he's going to keep sticking these ruddy, misshapen protuberances on everyone's faces no matter what we think or say.

• Options
    Bendit wrote: »
    Sorry, Tube.

The Penny Arcade Hub - The place to discuss the new comics, newsposts, PATV episodes and all other Penny Arcade content.

I thought I could "discuss the new comic".

You can. That doesn't mean that every thread has to be the same avalanche of people saying "HAVE I MENTIONED THAT I DON'T LIKE THE WAY GABE DRAWS NOSES". No one fucking cares, move on with your life. If you have further snide, passive-aggressive bitching to do, address it to my inbox. Better yet, don't.

• Options
    McMastaMcMasta ProvoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Tube wrote: »
    ATTENTION

We know longer need a select few people to come into every New Comic thread and tell us that they don't like the noses. We get it. That's awesome that you have an opinion. It's been noted. That's enough of it.

I rarely come to post my thoughts on the PA comics. When I do feel like talking about any aspect the comic, I want to come to a place where I, along with others who read PA as diligently as I have, can interject their opinions. I was under the impression that this thread is for that purpose.

Forgive me if I misinterpret but you sound annoyed that there is a large group of people who are turned off by the new noses. It's obviously more than just a "select few".

I could understand a request to forum users to post more than just "I don't like the noses" and to please elaborate more on their thoughts so that thread posts will spur meaningful discussion and not just complaints. You make it sound as if all discussion on the matter is closed. With that being said, if I am wrong in my assessment please let me know.

Personally I came to ask who exactly designed the Trenches characters, I was under the impression that it was Scott, the artistic style feels much more like his other stuff than Mikes. I was surprised when I first noticed the "nose style" and compared it to the first SAND. I was curious if there was any info on whether anyone was aware if Mike had said anything about experimenting with new stuff. Whether it was something he learned from Scott ect. I also wanted to express that I felt that the "new noses" were distracting to the other elements of the comic, something which I was pleased to find I was not alone in. I figured that this was a better place to vent these feelings and ask these questions than to tweet/email Mike himself. If he wants feedback, he knows where to find it, and this seems to be the place for that.

Perhaps this topic should just be its own thread, and perhaps it should be in the artists corner.

McMasta on
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Penny Arcade has had Trench noses a lot longer than this. It's not just in the noses anyway. Mike's style, as he has been defining and refining it to make it unique to him, seems to involve a lot of broad, arching curves*, especially in the faces. It's a way to give personality not only to the characters, but to the strip itself. I'm not a fan of trenchnose, but it's a way he distinguishes himself from other artists, and that's necessary for any maturing cartoonist.

*Disclaimer--I know absolutely nothing about art and I may be completely wrong in this regard.

• Options
    Any questions or comments on moderation can be directed to my inbox.

• Options
    Just curious if you realized that you used two different spellings of the word "whether" and neither one was the correct spelling.

• Options
    McMastaMcMasta ProvoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Just curious if you realized that you used two different spellings of the word "whether" and neither one was the correct spelling.

Fixed now. Thanks. I didn't realize my mistake, not until you graciously pointed it out.

Writing has never been my strong point, if you would like to further edit my forum posts for grammatical, spelling, and structural errors (as I am sure they exist), to help it better express my thoughts I would not be opposed.

McMasta on
  • Options
    JoshimodoJoshimodo Registered User regular
    The first clue that this is some sort of New West (or all a simulation, maybe?) is the voice that speaks to our protagonist in the first installment, quoting bits of the Bible; it is apparently feminine, and is represented by a font strongly associated with the Macintosh product line.

Naturally, I imagine 'her' sounding like Jennifer Green, the voice of 'Angel' from Borderlands (1 and 2).

SAND Spoilers, I guess?:
    In the Penny Arcade books, I forget which one, Tycho makes note of SAND being about a crashed ship on an alien world that has a malfunctioning AI. The AI badly misinterpreted the Bible, and creates increasingly odd Messiahs with genetic building or some such stuff.

zpuserbar.gif

ZombiePimps XBL Community | Design Portfolio | GuildWars 2 Guild

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: ZP Xai Xo | Steam ID: Joshimodo
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I haven't really been feeling these. To me, they seem too...hmm...expository to work in the MWF posting format. We're still basically rehashing what was already established in Sand Pt. 1. I get it, he can't die.

And the main set piece is the interior of a boring jailhouse, there's no real tension in any of these. (So far)

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    I don't think we're establishing that he can't die. We established that 2 years ago.

What we're establishing is people's reaction to the phenomenon. The adults (lawmen) are perturbed. Children are filled with wonder and curiosity.

• Options
    GoofTroopGoofTroop Registered User regular
    What confuses me the most is that the first comic is so gorgeous.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    In some ways Mike's art style has grown really incredibly in the past few years, at least for me. The Spumco flavor that he has adopted is fantastic. The greater fluidity of character design is something I like quite a bit, and the desire that all character designs stay lock step within a rigid style guide is something I find boring. So good job on Mike for the most part, he's expanding his horizons.

I'm nevertheless dismayed that he (and maybe Jerry, too?) seem to be looking to Scott Kurtz for artistic inspiration. Kurtz is a really funny public speaker from what I've seen (and the Blamimations are usually hilarious, too), but there's not a one of his comics that I find anything but boring, both visually and content-wise. Kurtz may have wanted to be web comic's Charles Shultz, but he seems to have ended up as web comic's Jim Davis.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    In all fairness, I think this is the second time I've ever commented on the "Trenches" noses. Why? Because of all the comics, this is the second one that I really felt it took away from the art.

Did not expect such an aggressive response to such a simple, easily ignorable opinion on on a single panel of a single, otherwise awesome, comic. It leads me to believe that one day we will witness another alternate existence (like SAND), where the talk of noses is only done in hushed whispers, for being caught doing so is an offense comparable to treason. Nosebots will zoom throughout the sky, their robo-nose hairs ready to snatch anyone into their dark recesses whom dare mutter the words "pug" or "Roman".

Comradebot on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I'm nevertheless dismayed that he (and maybe Jerry, too?) seem to be looking to Scott Kurtz for artistic inspiration. Kurtz is a really funny public speaker from what I've seen (and the Blamimations are usually hilarious, too), but there's not a one of his comics that I find anything but boring, both visually and content-wise. Kurtz may have wanted to be web comic's Charles Shultz, but he seems to have ended up as web comic's Jim Davis.

That's a really unpleasant, mean-spirited thing to say that, crucially, has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

I also think I've been as clear as I can reasonably be about the fact that anyone who has a problem with a moderating policy or decision should contact me via PM rather than further derailing the thread, and from this point on cards and thread kicks are going to be thrown.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Edit: Saw tube's post, hid my comment on noses.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    In some ways Mike's art style has grown really incredibly in the past few years, at least for me. The Spumco flavor that he has adopted is fantastic. The greater fluidity of character design is something I like quite a bit, and the desire that all character designs stay lock step within a rigid style guide is something I find boring. So good job on Mike for the most part, he's expanding his horizons.

It's really noticeable in a comic like this too, as the characters lack the kind of grit you'd expect from this setting. Which is why the noses, in particular, don't work, they look comical in what is supposed to be a hard kind of place.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't think we're establishing that he can't die. We established that 2 years ago.

What we're establishing is people's reaction to the phenomenon. The adults (lawmen) are perturbed. Children are filled with wonder and curiosity.

A good point. But to me, we still don't know anything beyond the dude can't die. When you have several day gaps between pages, I just think you need a certain economy to your scene composition and dialogue.

Another issue I'm having is these feel so cramped. Every panel is an extreme close up. Maybe i'm just too much of Western nerd, but I'm bummed he's not exploiting the vast, empty, expansiveness that westerns are so good at doing.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I haven't really been feeling these. To me, they seem too...hmm...expository to work in the MWF posting format. We're still basically rehashing what was already established in Sand Pt. 1. I get it, he can't die.

And the main set piece is the interior of a boring jailhouse, there's no real tension in any of these. (So far)

This third comic MIGHT be stretching it, but I think what we're doing now isn't just establishing the fact that he can't die: It's establishing that he's that western staple personality of "nonchalant tough guy who isn't phased by the people trying to kill him yet isn't above agreeably answering the questions of a random little kid." There's sort of a trope character that they're calling on with the last two comics, I think, to let us know what sort of guy we're dealing with.

It's sort of tough to go into detail on a guy's personality in the amount of text you can fit into a few panels, but having these sorts of exchanges which remind us of OTHER characters in westerns can give us the ability to fill out parts of his personality we won't be exposed to otherwise.

Edit: I also suspect this entire comic might have been an excuse for him to get to draw the alien cowboy jail house with two moons. You can tell he loves it whenever he gets the chance to draw landscape-type stuff, since it isn't something he normally does in the three panel beat.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »

This third comic MIGHT be stretching it, but I think what we're doing now isn't just establishing the fact that he can't die: It's establishing that he's that western staple personality of "nonchalant tough guy who isn't phased by the people trying to kill him yet isn't above agreeably answering the questions of a random little kid." There's sort of a trope character that they're calling on with the last two comics, I think, to let us know what sort of guy we're dealing with.

It's sort of tough to go into detail on a guy's personality in the amount of text you can fit into a few panels, but having these sorts of exchanges which remind us of OTHER characters in westerns can give us the ability to fill out parts of his personality we won't be exposed to otherwise.

Edit: I also suspect this entire comic might have been an excuse for him to get to draw the alien cowboy jail house with two moons. You can tell he loves it whenever he gets the chance to draw landscape-type stuff, since it isn't something he normally does in the three panel beat.

Totally, I agree with you. I'm just surprised because usually when they do these one offs we're treated to these wonderfully detailed panels, each a story in and of itself. Mike and Jerry are really good that kind of thing, this one has just left me feeling like it's a bit of a missed opportunity.

But to be honest, it's not entirely fair to criticize one part of a larger whole when they haven't even finished the actual run yet. Anyway, I eagerly await the next one.