As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Final Fantasy 11! Wings of the Goddess annoncenced!

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    neville wrote: »
    3. Even NIN's debuffs do not number as many as a RDM... You have Dia/Dia2, Bio/Bio2, Slow, Paralyze, Blind, Gravity (very, very useful).

Agreed, no one beats a Red Mage at enfeebles. That is what they do. Remember though, that Dia and Bio cannot be used together. If a Ninja is skilling up, tell them to stop stealing your sunshine.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So is there any class that looks exceptionally good in AF/Relic? I mean, the RDM and NIN AF looks amazing, but am I missing a class here?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    the only two AF's I don't like the look of personally are Warrior and Beastmaster.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Samurai is spectacular.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kajusta wrote: »
    So is there any class that looks exceptionally good in AF/Relic? I mean, the RDM and NIN AF looks amazing, but am I missing a class here?

That depends on your race and gender.

Xhero on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »
    Oh boy! More end game content! Thanks for driving me to WoW /:

Edit: Great way to make money off of the people who bought the vana'diel collection at the incredible bargain and are now hooked.

Wow; this forum can hardly contain the amount of pure irony in that post.

No. I meant that last part. I actually went back to FFXI this month because of that crazy amazing deal.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Edit: Great way to make money off of the people who bought the vana'diel collection at the incredible bargain and are now hooked.

No. I meant that last part. I actually went back to FFXI this month because of that crazy amazing deal.

I was referring to the "More end game content! Thanks for driving me to WoW" part.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    KoorinonamidaKoorinonamida Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    Xhero wrote: »
    So as far as soloing/giving to the group goes, what would be the fastest at soloing and is actually needed for parties? (While looking awesome)

RDM seemed like it had fit the bill pretty nicely, but I'm not too sure right now.

No job in the game is really designed to allow respectable EXP gain while playing solo. However, some jobs have... flukes, of sorts, which allow them to effectively solo for their EXP. Beastmaster solos by using pets as meat shields. Dragoon solos by having a near-infinite supply of Cure III from its Wyvern. Puppetmaster soloing is a synergy of the two. Beastmaster and Puppetmaster are also rather rare, which causes them to miss out on more parties because people don't understand how they work in practice.

That doesn't mean you can't solo at all. Heck, I solo all the time on my Warrior while waiting for invites. The experience might be lacking compared to a party, but it's still experience. I can probably pull in 2-3K an hour if I were actually in the mindset to solo and approached it intelligently.

There are also other activities other than leveling that you can do solo between parties. Farming! Money is good. Quests! Minutiae story details are always interesting. Crafting is cool, if you want to invest. Some people (I am not one of them) find fishing to be a good way to kill time. Ultimately, the game is what you make of it.
    What about ninja?!! I solo'd ninja 69-75!! The fluke in that case was H'mpemde(however you spell them) in Sea. Mouth open = crazy damage and fast kills for Very Tough mobs. Solo chain 505 xp wut wut!!

Koorinonamida on
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So as far as soloing/giving to the group goes, what would be the fastest at soloing and is actually needed for parties? (While looking awesome)

RDM seemed like it had fit the bill pretty nicely, but I'm not too sure right now.

No job in the game is really designed to allow respectable EXP gain while playing solo. However, some jobs have... flukes, of sorts, which allow them to effectively solo for their EXP. Beastmaster solos by using pets as meat shields. Dragoon solos by having a near-infinite supply of Cure III from its Wyvern. Puppetmaster soloing is a synergy of the two. Beastmaster and Puppetmaster are also rather rare, which causes them to miss out on more parties because people don't understand how they work in practice.

That doesn't mean you can't solo at all. Heck, I solo all the time on my Warrior while waiting for invites. The experience might be lacking compared to a party, but it's still experience. I can probably pull in 2-3K an hour if I were actually in the mindset to solo and approached it intelligently.

There are also other activities other than leveling that you can do solo between parties. Farming! Money is good. Quests! Minutiae story details are always interesting. Crafting is cool, if you want to invest. Some people (I am not one of them) find fishing to be a good way to kill time. Ultimately, the game is what you make of it.
    What about ninja?!! I solo'd ninja 69-75!! The fluke in that case was H'mpemde(however you spell them) in Sea. Mouth open = crazy damage and fast kills for Very Tough mobs. Solo chain 505 xp wut wut!!

IT'S YOU

Xhero on
  • Options
    KoorinonamidaKoorinonamida Registered User new member
    edited May 2007

IT'S YOU
    YEZ, New Expansion tractor beam effect.

Koorinonamida on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I was referring to the "More end game content! Thanks for driving me to WoW" part.
    Oh. Well. . .it's true. Three expansions and months of time invested to unlock them. It was kind of disappointing.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So it turns out I really like Monk. I don't even know why, it just seems..right.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So it turns out I really like Monk. I don't even know why, it just seems..right.

Monk is probably the best job for multitasking.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So is there any craft better than another for pure gil making? I heard alchemy wasn't bad, any thoughts?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I really wish Alchemy products were used a lot more than they are currently. I mean, in the single player FF games you would use the hell out of consumables. The game was designed around it even. In FFXI you really limit yourself to using consumables during important fights.

I can't think of any time I have ever seen anyone use a potion. Ever.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So is there any craft better than another for pure gil making? I heard alchemy wasn't bad, any thoughts?

Since the economy has come down I don't know of any craft that is really that great at gil making now. Before I could make a steady, healthy profit making silver ingots. Now I will barely break even.

Your best bet is to do a bit of research. Check www.ffxiah.com for your server and look at different crafted items. Consumables are usually fast and steady sellers but there are so many people (and RMTs) out there now making stuff that it's driven down profits on everything.

Honestly, I would either go with Gardening, HELMing, Fishing, or all three. There's also xNM's which are probably the best moneymakers now.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is this a game a casual gamer can get into? Right now I work a lot, so I only get a few hours in a day to play anything. Or is this game something you need to "WoWPlay" in order to do anything?

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    In my experience there isn't the same "drive" in FFXI to play it non stop like WoW. You can play it once or twice a week and it's still entertaining.

However, even if you only play a couple times a week, you should plan for those sessions to be a few hours. Sometimes you won't get into a party right away and you might have to wait (how long is up to you; I'm impatient so I either just log out or level up another job to 10), and even if you do you want to stick with a good team as long as possible.

Sooo...It's not the 8 hours a day game that WoW (I know wow doesn't have to be like that, it just has the tendency to...even if you don't mean to), but at the same time it's not the casual play for an hour whenever the hell you feel like it MMO like CoX.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So really, I've had the itch to try this game for some time, and the real question comes down to this: are summoners useful in parties, and is it possible for Humans to have green hair.

The answer to these two questions rather hinge my purchase of the game.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yes, and no. Each race has the choice of male and female, aside from Mithra and Galka

Of that, each sex has eight choices of face/hairstyle.

Each face/hairstyle has two coloration choices.

As for Summoners, they do best in a supporting role as Summoner/White Mage. Actually getting the elemental spirits and avatars to summon is somewhat inconvenient however.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well, I knew/figured getting the summons was a bit of a pain, and Summoner/WM sounds perfect for what I'd want to play, it's what I was considering anyway. :D

But you didn't answer my question directly. Human green hair, confirm/confirm?

I want to look like Rydia :(

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No green hair for humans. Think Tarus might have a green hair model somewhere but not sure.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If you're playing on PC you could modify the .dat to make a Hume's hair look green, couldn't you?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    if I could start out as a drg I would play this again. I am not leveling as something I hate to thirty just to go back and be a drg again.

Grath on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Grath wrote: »
    if I could start out as a drg I would play this again. I am not leveling as something I hate to thirty just to go back and be a drg again.

Aren't DRGs pretty much shunned by the community because it's role isn't really put anywhere?

I mean, I know they are good at solo play, but why are they so 'LOL' worthy?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    RendusRendus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Er. Did I step into bizzaro-thread? I admit, the last time I played FFXI seriously was a couple years ago, so some of the below may have changed, but...

WOW is the most casual friendly MMO out there - You can make some serious, deep progress in say, 3 hours unless you're doing it horribly wrong. You can solo while LFG, you can craft (and get crafting materials solo), you can PVP solo, or get into a BG where the group is formed automatically for you, etc. Sure, you CAN play 8 hours straight, but you don't have to.

Contrast to FFXI... Where to begin...

You unlock classes by way of quests. Hope you've got friends, or read and follow directions quite well for the ones you can solo, or don't mind leveling up way past the level requirements for the quests. You unlock one job at a time. You level every job independently of the other, from 1 to 75. You will be expected, in most groups, to have your subjob leveled up properly, to at least half your current job's level.

You could spend half an hour just getting to your group, which you may have waited an hour or more for. You have to overcome any language barriers that may exist in the group (I suppose, though, I'd rather try to figure out what the Japanese player just said in FFXI, than the mouth-breather just spewed in WOW), and get to work figuring out the skillchain(s) you're going to use, how you're going to communicate your readiness, etc.

Then, you actually get to killing - Hopefully you've got a good puller, or you're looking at really, really mediocre XP. Also hope that nobody's there leveling up their weapon skills (which raise in increments of 0.1-0.3 depending on just how far behind it is, and it's not every hit like WOW - Underdeveloped weapon or casting skills means you're doing no damage or landing no spells). Then, if you're in a Japanese-style group, your group breaks up when one person leaves. Poof, it's gone. North American players tend to try to find replacements, but now you're waiting to find the right class/archetype to fill the spot, and waiting half an hour for that person to show up.

Ok, you're reaching the higher levels now. Congratulations, you get to do alternate advancement - I know little about this other than that it's even more grind.

Hell, I've spent hours in FFXI just trying to do the subjob quest, until some 75 got bored and got me my cape.

When I discuss MMORPGs with people, I tend to use FFXI and WOW as polar opposites - FFXI is the hardest grind I've ever participated in, and WOW is by far the easiest. I've never picked up FFXI for less than 2 or 3 hours - It's not even worth logging in for an hour, unless you happen to have logged out in a place with an auction house (none of which are connected), and have some business to do.

And this is coming from someone who loved FFXI. Really. I picked up the Vana'Diel Collection 2007, got back up to level 18, realized I don't have the time to play and didn't want to pay to play the AH (never mind that I'm a RDM in a full set of Bone +1).

Rendus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

I believe that place is for you. This is a thread for people who LIKE the game. There's no fucking reason for you to come in here and shit it up and try to convert people to WoW.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Aren't DRGs pretty much shunned by the community because it's role isn't really put anywhere?

They're not. It's a negative stigma that started on the GameFaq's board with their elitists and trolls that hasn't gone away yet. Someone there actually wrote a Dragoon guide full of blatant lies and slander and people took it as honest truth.

The fact is DRG isn't a bad job. However, since DRG isn't WAR/NIN it sucks.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    ducttapeenthusiastducttapeenthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DRG is like any other job, if you work at it and give it lots of love it can be amazing. The LOL comes from the community who looks at the droves of people who gear up ridiculously poor for the role of dealing damage and perpetuate the negative image. That happens for every job, but ever since the penta nerf, DRG has not been able to shake off the LOL because of that. Even WAR/NIN can be LOL, it's just harder to suck because of broken game mechanics.

ducttapeenthusiast on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Rendus wrote: »
    Er. Did I step into bizzaro-thread? I admit, the last time I played FFXI seriously was a couple years ago, so some of the below may have changed, but...

WOW is the most casual friendly MMO out there - You can make some serious, deep progress in say, 3 hours unless you're doing it horribly wrong. You can solo while LFG, you can craft (and get crafting materials solo), you can PVP solo, or get into a BG where the group is formed automatically for you, etc. Sure, you CAN play 8 hours straight, but you don't have to.

Contrast to FFXI... Where to begin...

You unlock classes by way of quests. Hope you've got friends, or read and follow directions quite well for the ones you can solo, or don't mind leveling up way past the level requirements for the quests. You unlock one job at a time. You level every job independently of the other, from 1 to 75. You will be expected, in most groups, to have your subjob leveled up properly, to at least half your current job's level.

You could spend half an hour just getting to your group, which you may have waited an hour or more for. You have to overcome any language barriers that may exist in the group (I suppose, though, I'd rather try to figure out what the Japanese player just said in FFXI, than the mouth-breather just spewed in WOW), and get to work figuring out the skillchain(s) you're going to use, how you're going to communicate your readiness, etc.

Then, you actually get to killing - Hopefully you've got a good puller, or you're looking at really, really mediocre XP. Also hope that nobody's there leveling up their weapon skills (which raise in increments of 0.1-0.3 depending on just how far behind it is, and it's not every hit like WOW - Underdeveloped weapon or casting skills means you're doing no damage or landing no spells). Then, if you're in a Japanese-style group, your group breaks up when one person leaves. Poof, it's gone. North American players tend to try to find replacements, but now you're waiting to find the right class/archetype to fill the spot, and waiting half an hour for that person to show up.

Ok, you're reaching the higher levels now. Congratulations, you get to do alternate advancement - I know little about this other than that it's even more grind.

Hell, I've spent hours in FFXI just trying to do the subjob quest, until some 75 got bored and got me my cape.

When I discuss MMORPGs with people, I tend to use FFXI and WOW as polar opposites - FFXI is the hardest grind I've ever participated in, and WOW is by far the easiest. I've never picked up FFXI for less than 2 or 3 hours - It's not even worth logging in for an hour, unless you happen to have logged out in a place with an auction house (none of which are connected), and have some business to do.

And this is coming from someone who loved FFXI. Really. I picked up the Vana'Diel Collection 2007, got back up to level 18, realized I don't have the time to play and didn't want to pay to play the AH (never mind that I'm a RDM in a full set of Bone +1).

Thank you for your absolutely useless post.

Feel free to return to the WoW forums and join in the circle jerk there.
    I played WoW for over two years, they're not comparable games

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    RendusRendus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not trying to convert anyone to WOW. However, there was some very, very false information given regarding the playability of FFXI by casual players, and there was a direct comparison made to WOW. I find it interesting, but not particularly surprising, that the people here chose to respond in such a way when someone corrects them about their own game.

Read the post you made yourself, Kingshand, and pull your head out of your ass. Not comparable to WOW? Then why did you do it?
    In my experience there isn't the same "drive" in FFXI to play it non stop like WoW. You can play it once or twice a week and it's still entertaining.

Comparison to WOW.
    Sooo...It's not the 8 hours a day game that WoW (I know wow doesn't have to be like that, it just has the tendency to...even if you don't mean to),

Comparison to WOW. And a hilarious claim that FFXI is less time-intensive than WOW, to boot. I wonder if maybe my post was in response to that?

Rendus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm not trying to convert anyone to WOW. However, there was some very, very false information given regarding the playability of FFXI by casual players, and there was a direct comparison made to WOW. I find it interesting, but not particularly surprising, that the people here chose to respond in such a way when someone corrects them about their own game.

Read the post you made yourself, Kingshand, and pull your head out of your ass. Not comparable to WOW? Then why did you do it?

Comparison to WOW.
    Sooo...It's not the 8 hours a day game that WoW (I know wow doesn't have to be like that, it just has the tendency to...even if you don't mean to),

Comparison to WOW. And a hilarious claim that FFXI is less time-intensive than WOW, to boot. I wonder if maybe my post was in response to that?

Wow, gtfo. You have to admit that while every MMORPG is not going to be the same as WoW, they are all going to be compared to it.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ya know Rendus - a lot of what you said about FF is the same for WoW. The flaws that come with grouping will always haunt every single MMO - so attempting to say that it's a huge issue in FF and not WoW is a bit much.

WoW is far from "casual" if you want to enjoy the game. That is why I broke off from it, I don't have 5 hours to raid for one fucking article of cloth. I'm all about earning your keep - but skill and brainpower should come into play for that, not "rep grind lolz!"

At least in CoX (heh cocks) I can blow shit up. Can I get an Amen? Amen!

Back on subject - i'll be giving FF a shot when I get around to picking up a cheap copy at the store or something. I really do enjoy the FF series and if anything, I owe it to myself to play it, even if I don't like it.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Comparison to WOW.

I should have chose my words better.

I compared the two games.

You were pissing and moaning about FFXI while sucking off WoW.

There's a difference. I was trying to be objective. You were just being a brat.

EDIT: Since you're a little dense, I'll clarify. As you'll see in my post here:
    In light of my FFXI thread in G&T, is it actually worth playing anymore? I mean, if you could choose between WoW, LOTRO, or FFXI which would you choose? FFXI has a lot of good things to it as far as I can tell (never played it, just interested) but it seems like the grinding is the trade off for those good things. =/

That's hard to answer. WoW and FFXI are virtually two different genres of MMO's. It's like comparing Baldurs Gate to Diablo 2. Sure, they're both top down RPG's, but they couldn't be more different as far as style and gameplay goes.

What it comes down to is what you like. WoW you can solo...forever. You can get to 1-70 and not even talk to another player once. You can treat it almost like a single player game and pretend that the other players in town aren't real. It's like Top Gun to FFXI's Flight Simulator X. In FFXI the party is civilization. You can't escape it and you have to learn its intricacies to survive. WoW even if you get into a party you can totally dick off and still get through your instance or whatever (god, wow fans don't come here and attack this, I played for over 2 years and just quit in Feb, I'm not going to argue with you on how WoW works). So for FFXI you either love it or hate it. There's virtually no middle ground.

Even people who love FFXI don't try to pretend it's a game for everyone. Only a niche population of gamers enjoy the playstyle of it. Whereas WoW is far more user friendly and virtually anyone regardless of their gaming background (or lack thereof) can pick it up and start playing.

I'm presenting the merits of both games, and saying that FFXI isn't a game for everyone. I'm not giving FFXI the reach around, I make it perfectly clear that WoW is considerably more user friendly. But for the same reason people like Baldurs Gate more than Diablo, some people like FFXI more than WoW.

This is drastically different than your post which was: "ZOMG r u f'ing kidding me? FFXI suckz man, and WOW RULZE THEM ALL!!!!!", which isn't the slightest bit useful to anyone wanting to know about FFXI. The idea that: 'I didn't like FFXI therefore FFXI sucks' is ignorant and not in the slightest bit informational.

Personally I played WoW for WAY the hell longer than I ever played FFXI. Which resulted in my statement above that you so blithely quoted without taking it in context. FFXI like any MMO has the addiction aspect as a built in mechanic. I don't think you'll find anyone who has played either any amount of time, though, say that FFXI has that addiction factor to anything resembling WoW. Blizzard took every compulsion, ever subconscious aspect of gaming and threw it into one game. So it's considerably easier to play WoW for 8 hours and not even realize that time has gone by. Is this a good or bad thing? If you ask my wife it's the worst thing ever. I loved my time in WoW, and when I quit it wasn't because of the game, it was because in just over 2 years of time I had nearly 8 months /played. Me, being a lifetime gamer; I was disgusted with myself. That means on average I played roughly 8 hours a day, some more some less. For two years. One of those married. I'm lucky I'm still married. Anyway, playing that much, and not raiding for various reasons means that I had run through all the non raiding content several times (I had 4 level 60's, 51, and a lot of alts when TBC was released), and that just got boring to me.

The closest I have come to insulting WoW really in this thread is a few pages back where someone suggested that the focus on end game in FFXI drove them to WoW, a statement dripping with irony because anyone who's played WoW for more than a couple months can tell you that the entire focus of the development team in WoW is on end game, and aside from a days worth of content with new races, not a single thing has been added to "mid game" for over two years. All MMO's focus on end game, that's kind of the point, but WoW is particularly focused on it, since the "grind" (and yes, the entire game is a grind, so don't say that any other game is more grind heavy when your entire game is a grind, all MMO's are) is so very short.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

They're not. It's a negative stigma that started on the GameFaq's board with their elitists and trolls that hasn't gone away yet. Someone there actually wrote a Dragoon guide full of blatant lies and slander and people took it as honest truth.

The fact is DRG isn't a bad job. However, since DRG isn't WAR/NIN it sucks.

an alternate response would have been "the bulk of the community are fucking retarded monkeys that can't figure out how to check or what agro is"

I really liked Drg/thf or Drg/war.
    I honestly only got the game to be a Drg.

I'm curious to play as a DRG with one of those guides on soloing because I fucking hated grouping with people I didnt know.

Grath on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So, uh

Little question

How on earth do you change the resolution of the game? The interface is the densest thing I've ever seen, and my computer can play this game at way above 640x480 (and it'd look good at that res, too.)

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You have to go in and do it in the game's configuration. The background setting is for all the game stuff, and foreground is stuff like chat windows and such.

DuskTwilight on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    So, uh

Little question

How on earth do you change the resolution of the game? The interface is the densest thing I've ever seen, and my computer can play this game at way above 640x480 (and it'd look good at that res, too.)

http://phabin.noncouncil.com/ffxi/?i=reg

I use 1024x1024, and it looks really downright beautiful the majority of the time.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    So, uh

Little question

http://phabin.noncouncil.com/ffxi/?i=reg

I use 1024x1024, and it looks really downright beautiful the majority of the time.

if your pc can handle it the game can handle up to 2048x2048, and if you turn the mip-mapping up in the reg to 5ish, it can look damn pretty.

EDIT: by the way, the game needs to be in a "box" resolution like 512x512 and up, EVEN if you're playing on a widescreen (I do), you change the aspect ration in-game in the options to whatever the aspect ratio of your TV/Monitor is.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    EricKeiEricKei Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I assume you mean "Burn" parties? Those can indeed be fun. Just as in any other game -- including WoW -- however, they can either be a blast if done properly, or a deathfest if done improperly.

The main ones I've seen (I'm sure there are more):

Manaburn -- the original : 4 nukes, a RedMage or Bard, and either a healer or a 5th nuke who can take time away from his nukes to help heal. Ideally, camp in an area where you can isolate a mob, pull a never ending string of mobs, like so: Bard or RDM pulls, drags it to the group, you see 4/5 sets of "___ begins casting Thunder/-aga III", puller sleeps the mob just after the spells hit, nukes start casting again to finish it off as the puller calls out his next pull. The Wrong way: Same basic setup against mobs who are ten levels higher than you, so they resist both the nukes and the Sleeps. Undeads are a popular target for this sort of party.

Bones -- A bunch of Monks, often packing Counterattack gear and lacking a tank (tho a competent healer is a must), sharing hate as they take on skeletons -- which are weak to the monks' weapon of choice.

Roaming -- often in sky, often against Living Weapon-class mobs. Healer, 4 melees who all have Ninja subbed or Main (for damage avoidance), and a party buffer such as a bard or Red Mage. Instead of camping, they all run as a pack to the next mob spawn. Minimal downtime unless somebody makes a mistake; require observant members.

Summonburn? Avatarburn? (need the right name here) or Beastburn -- Really popular in BCNM's and boss fights. 6 of a job that can sub white mage without hurting its effectiveness. Summoners: Astral Flow x6 == dead mob. Beastmasters: Why fight as a team of 6 when you can have 12? Better yet (Onion bc40 and others), turn the mobs against their own friends.

Thiefburn, <insert job here> burn -- I've never done them personally, only heard of them. Harder to pull off, but probably just as satisfying when done properly. THFburn would, I assume, require almost constant SATA+WS chains

EricKei on
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of us could hardly succeed." ~ Mark Twain
    Goozex referral pimp sig, click Spoiler to see it.
    EricKei.png
This discussion has been closed.