As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon TCG] How to help my daughter get started.

crazyengineercrazyengineer Registered User new member
edited July 2013 in Critical Failures
So, my daughter, going into 2nd grade, wants pokemon cards. I have a bunch of little jobs I want her to do the rest of the summer, so I figured I'd use booster packs of pokemon cards as rewards. However, I know jack about pokemon and am not a big fan of TCG in general (just not my thing). I'm not going to be super-involved in her pokemon activities (I'm super-involved in enough of her hobbies as is) but I also don't want to get her the wrong cards and be that parent who buys the "un-cool" toys for their kid. So, I guess I should get her a basic theme deck to start and then let her earn booster packs? Does it matter which series/expansion of the theme deck and booster I get her? Are the most recent releases best to get? Should I at least make sure the theme deck and boosters are in the same series/expansion?

I'm not going to go start buying her single cards on ebay, but I'd like her to have enough artillery to trounce the average 2nd grade boy she might come up against.

Sterica on

• ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    @crazyengineer
    You may have more luck in the tabletop forum.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/critical-failures

That said, here's some general advice, from someone who knows very little about pokemon.
    1. Talk to your local gaming store. Chances are, your kiddo is playing at school, so you can't exactly go ask the other kids, but the local shop that sells pokemon cards might be able to give you the basics and tell you what you need to get her started.

2. Chances are, she's playing for fun, so it might not matter what she wants, so long as she can play with her friends and she likes the pokemons in her deck. Don't substitute your desire to let her trounce others for her want to have fun and look at the cute pokemon.

3. Don't overload her with cards. Help her build a deck that she likes and is happy with, then accessorize it. A special box, card sleeves she picks out, that sort of thing.

4. Expect some, most, or all of the collection to get stolen. It's school, these things happen, and TCG cards are easy, easy prey. Spend knowing it's not just a money sink (that's ok, that's the cynical definition of a hobby, after all) but that it could all disappear in a puff of smoke and after-school teary eyes.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Moving to CF, because you'll get more bites there.

YL9WnCY.png