[Western Animation] Thread: Your Mom's a Horse!

• YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Home Movies had a bitter sweet wrap up to the series.
    Did Reboot ever get a wrap up?

Reboot was completed in as far as wrapping up the story about Megabyte's takeover and Enzio's rescue thereof.

They made a "final" episode which was supposed to open up to a larger story where Megabyte is resurrected and flees into an alternative dimension (if I remember correctly). But it ends after that, so if you pretend the episode does not exist, then yes, Reboot was completed.

Yogo on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Justice League
    Batman Beyond (Kinda cheating)
    Spider-Man

It's still awesome that Timm & Co. hijacked an episode of Justice League just to wrap up Batman Beyond.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Justice League
    Spider-Man

It's still awesome that Timm & Co. hijacked an episode of Justice League just to wrap up Batman Beyond.

Wasn't it because they didn't think they were getting another season and wanted to wrap up the DCAU properly?

The last shot of that BB episode being pretty much a redo of the first shot of the first BtAS episode was a fantastic ending.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    that is probably my favorite thing about Justice League and some of the other DC cartoons of that time frame. You had the Static Shock cartoon which brought in Batman and Green Lantern, and then you have Justice League bring in a Static Shock in his mid-60s. It was pretty cool to have those over arching meta thread touches between all the series.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Can we technically believe that Static Shock also was concluded via Justice League?
    When Static was murdered or when he was sucked into a timehole of never existing?

j/k I kinda liked that show as a lighter superhero show.

jCyyTSo.png
    that is probably my favorite thing about Justice League and some of the other DC cartoons of that time frame. You had the Static Shock cartoon which brought in Batman and Green Lantern, and then you have Justice League bring in a Static Shock in his mid-60s. It was pretty cool to have those over arching meta thread touches between all the series.

I THINK that Static Shock actually had an earlier cross over with BB where they showed his older self, and how he was a super respected hero.

Justice League
    Spider-Man

Wasn't it because they didn't think they were getting another season and wanted to wrap up the DCAU properly?

The last shot of that BB episode being pretty much a redo of the first shot of the first BtAS episode was a fantastic ending.

Pretty much. Though any normal showrunner would have just wrapped up the current show, not the show that was canned years before.

And while Static Shock never reached the quality of the rest of the DCAU, his inclusion during the time travel ep was a nice touch.

Can we just stop for a moment and remember how great The Once and Future Thing was? All the wild west craziness in the first episode, and all the Batman Beyond stuff in the second, with Bruce and Bruce ganging up on Terry. And of course the Bruces' hilarious interrogation scene (skip to 2:40):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PETk8eBbfN0

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned Transformers Prime. I started watching that recently and man is it great! Good to know it gets a proper conclusion.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    maybe? but it there was a *lot* of time voodoo in that episode of Justice League.

Static Shock kind of had an end, but again, some plots were dangling, because as is hubris, you hope for another season when you work on those projects.

Static Shock ending

The FBI or other high end government agency was able to come up with a cure for the expression of the metagenes. The ethical dilemma was that the government didn't give two shits about you being responsible with your powers, *EVERYONE* was going to be doused in the cure because they were going to crop dust Dakota City with the stuff.

Naturally, and I believe rightly, many metahumans rebelled because:
    1, it was an invasion on their persons, and
    2, it wasn't extensively tested. It worked. Ship it.

The problem was that the hooligans (the shadow guy's gang, and the fire bully from school and a bunch of other unsavories) wanted to destroy the whole batch of the stuff, keeping the status quo, even though there are those metahumans desperate to get rid of their powers and be normal again.

Two extremes. Big fight. Everyone involved gets hit with the cure, something wonky happens for reasons, and the fire guy and the shadow guy are fused in a giant kaiju. wtf inorite?
    More fighting, giant kaiju and cure ship fall beneath the waves.

Gear (the blonde kid that's Static's best friend) mentions that he has been able to ''cure the cure'' so that he and Static can remain on patrol over Dakota City and to basically give the middle finger to the FBI, because vigilantes are *WAY* more effective at deterring metacrime that they are, according to DC.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

I THINK that Static Shock actually had an earlier cross over with BB where they showed his older self, and how he was a super respected hero.

It did. There's also that DC short that shows him as a superhero/father with two daughters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTBeljjsDD8

Oh, there's a second one!

Did I miss any more?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBwR0ysiGkM

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    That's not Static, it's Black Lightning.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that that's Black Lightning, not Static. Adult Static kept his dreads.

The thing that gets me the most is that his name is Static. Not Static Shock.

jCyyTSo.png
    Aside, I really liked adult Static's updated costume.

I though he just got a name change. Why have such a redundant superhero?

And can we please come up with better names for black superheroes than "Black Whatever" its the 21st century for crying out loud...

edited January 2014
    Nah Black Lightning is a very old character. Static is indeed someone else. Either copyright issues or just that it was more about the interactions than the actual powers that the writer felt like it was his own story. "More about the metahumans and how teenagers would react to the sudden influx of them" kind of thing maybe?

Like how Walking Dead isn't about zombies.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Transformers Prime. I started watching that recently and man is it great! Good to know it gets a proper conclusion.

If you just started watching it and you think its great already then you're in for a treat. Because it gets better and better as it goes on. The series has a nice ending, but then the movie that takes place after it wraps it all up totally.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    And can we please come up with better names for black superheroes than "Black Whatever" its the 21st century for crying out loud...
    Black Vulcan would also like an answer to your first question.
    And to be fair to Black Lightning, he'd been around since the 70s. He wasn't created just for the DC shorts.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Aside, I really liked adult Static's updated costume.

So did DC apparently - they used the design in their Dakota wrap-up trade.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    There's so much scooby doo stuff.

I know lots of it is actually good but I don't want to sort through the rest :(

Here are the legitimately good entries in the Scooby Doo franchise:

- Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated
    - Scooby Doo on Zombie Island

And that's it.

I loved Zombie Island (and CN's whole build up of the return of Scooby Doo). Especially Fred. "Now way guys, these monsters are totally fake."
    *attempts to pull off mask, instead removes entire head*
    "Well this is new!"

newSig.jpg

Because he was actually created as part of a black-oriented comic continuity (the "Dakotaverse") that was eventually gobbled up by DC.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Deans wrote: »

If you just started watching it and you think its great already then you're in for a treat. Because it gets better and better as it goes on. The series has a nice ending, but then the movie that takes place after it wraps it all up totally.

Yup, I'm on season 2 now. Like every Transformers show it could benefit from a lack of human kids, but they're not that bad and the other human characters are great.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I remember one episode when Static asked where Robin was and Batman said "he was with the Titans, you'll meet them soon enough."

But he never did. :(

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I remember one episode when Static asked where Robin was and Batman said "he was with the Titans, you'll meet them soon enough."

I think that the whole Dakota/DCAU merger was always a bit conflicted. That said, using Adult Static in Beyond and JLU was a masterstroke.

I think that the whole Dakota/DCAU merger was always a bit conflicted. That said, using Adult Static in Beyond and JLU was a masterstroke.

It helped that Dwayne McDuffie, creator of Static, wrote the JLU episodes. :P

Maybe I'm mis-remembering them, but all the DCAU crossover eps in Static were all pretty good. They even came up with a decent excuse to have him meet the Justice League (this is all paraphrased):

Batman: Static, come to the Watchtower. The League needs you.
    Static: I got here as fast as I could! What's the problem... Brainiac? Darkseid?
    Batman: The Watchtower's getting low on power. We need you to be a backup generator.
    Static: ....goddammit.

I would say it's a shame that Static never showed up on Teen Titans, but teen Titans pretty much existed in a universe of their own with zero crossovers. Hell, Batman never even showed up.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering them, but all the DCAU crossover eps in Static were all pretty good. They even came up with a decent excuse to have him meet the Justice League (this is all paraphrased):

Static: I got here as fast as I could! What's the problem... Brainiac? Darkseid?
    Batman: The Watchtower's getting low on power. We need you to be a backup generator.

I would say it's a shame that Static never showed up on Teen Titans, but teen Titans pretty much existed in a universe of their own with zero crossovers. Hell, Batman never even showed up.
    Well. He said Titans. Not Teen Titans. He probably met Nightwing and the like when he joined the Justice League.

jCyyTSo.png

That was for the best, though, as it allowed them to be the competent heroes without having the League as a deus ex machina to save their asses.

edited January 2014
    I like how Young Justice was never named as a team and were just part of the Justice League as their covert ops division.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Well. He said Titans. Not Teen Titans. He probably met Nightwing and the like when he joined the Justice League.

I'd say it's more likely Bats just didn't bother to say the "teen" part, especially since the Teen Titans show was deep in development about that time. Hell, the Titans themselves never bothered with the "teen" bit. But we may never know for sure.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    My favorite part of Scooby Doo Zombie Island was Fred, alone in his room contemplating wearing an ascot.

That movie gave me a few good sleepless nights.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I still love all the hype that CN did for Scooby's return. Having Daphine and Shaggy recreate the opening scene of Scream was genius.
    "What's your favorite Scooby Movie?"

And the "behind the scenes" stuff was pretty good too.

Edit: And learning that Mathew Lillard apparently nailed the Shaggy part so well he did the voice in the newer cartoons.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Black Vulcan would also like an answer to your first question.
    And to be fair to Black Lightning, he'd been around since the 70s. He wasn't created just for the DC shorts.

Black Manta wins though. Because no one saw it coming.

steam_sig.png
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    King of the Hill's finale is really sweet. It captures everything that made the show great.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Spider-Man
    The 90s one? They say they are going to find the real Mary Jane and then...

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014

Even Black Vulcan wasn't his first choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKbGnzmidsw

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Spider-Man
    The 90s one? They say they are going to find the real Mary Jane and then...

He swung off with Stan Lee. Probably a good consolation prize.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The Dakota characters in Young Justice was an amazing addition to the DCAU.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

The Dakota characters in Young Justice was an amazing addition to the DCAU.

Was there more than just Static? Anyway I did like how they altered his origin in YJ, I never really liked the whole bang baby setup.