We're going to be adding some advertisements to the forums! If you notice any weirdness around this or spot bad/inappropriate ads, please make a thread in the bugs forum.

First Annual PAX Prime H.P. Pubcraft Lovecrawl in Ballard on Saturday Night

swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in PAX West
ATTENTION: Due to the overwhelming response, we have to cap attendance so that we have a manageable number of crawlers for the crawl. Thanks to everyone who will be participating, we'll see you Saturday night! :)

This is the inaugural event, and if you didn't get to RSVP for this year's crawl, we hope to see you next year!


Looking for something to do Saturday night of PAX? Step into the dark and mysterious Seattle borough of Ballard for an inter-dimensional pubcrawl of celestial importance!

Be a part of the first annual PAX Prime H.P. Pubcraft Lovecrawl in Ballard on Saturday night. We will be traversing pubs up and down the cobbled streets of Ballard, gathering clues to prevent the awakening of the Ancient One. Each pub will represent another dimension, where you'll have to gather clues (and drinks) in order to keep the Elder Gods at bay.

You could be a hero. You could go insane. You could become a cultist. It's all in how you choose to unravel the mystery!

This fully-baked adventure starts at Card Kingdom in Ballard at 8:30. There, you'll get your first clue, your starting items, and your sanity and stamina. From there, the night will take you on a harrowing journey of epic importance. Save Seattle! Save the world! (There will be prizes)

You can easily catch the D-Line bus to Ballard from downtown Seattle (about a 20-minute ride). Seattle's own fishing village (home to 7 microbreweries) is the perfect place for a Lovecraftian adventure.

Please RSVP at our Facebook Page so we have an idea of how many people will be showing up. There is no cover charge for this event (you buy your own drinks), and it is open to everyone.

Stay tuned to this thread for more info on the event.

Hope to see you there!

Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
swordgoatz on
peetsnack
«1

Posts

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2013
    Good luck! I hope it goes well!

    zerzhul on
    swordgoatzadias.angel
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    This sounds amazing! I'm excited to hear about how this goes!

    Although, there is no way in wibbly wobbly spacetime that it takes less than 40 minutes to get from downtown to Ballard on the D line. You can't even get from downtown to Ballard in 10 minutes if you're driving LIKE BATMAN!!!

    Moe Fwacky
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    At 8:30 at night you could probably do it in 15 minutes (driving). The bus? Meh. I am not impressed. :-/

    That said, what an awesome idea! Well done!

    ufq9gj8383nh.png

  • dm_magicdm_magic Registered User regular
    This sounds great! Count me in!

    bn4KEyz.png
  • swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    Full disclosure, I was working from memory. ;-)

    According to Google Maps, the D-line trip should take 20 minutes. If you hop on the 8:05 bus, you'll be at Cafe Mox by 8:30.

    Thanks for bringing this to my attention, guys!

    Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I am interest. I need an excuse to go up to Card Kingdom anyway.

    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope Registered User regular
    That is supposed to be the blessing of the D-line. Few stops between Queen Anne and Ballard. However, make sure you know the departure times if you're staying late. With the 10:40 bus, the D changes frequency to half hour until 1. Then, it's an hour, then hour and a half later. In other words, being cab fare for return downtown.

    PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    swordgoatz wrote: »
    Full disclosure, I was working from memory. ;-)

    According to Google Maps, the D-line trip should take 20 minutes. If you hop on the 8:05 bus, you'll be at Cafe Mox by 8:30.

    Thanks for bringing this to my attention, guys!

    I would recommend cross-checking your data with the King County Metro trip planner: http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/

    I've been known to get off results from google sometimes. I once waited 30 minutes for a bus that it turned out wasn't even running at the time.

    E6LkoFK.png

    taliosfalcon
  • VertigoVertigo Registered User regular
    I love this idea so much

  • OptimusbryOptimusbry Event Designer Long Beach CARegistered User regular
    This is pretty fantastic. Definitely joining in

    Nintendo ID: Optimusbry :: Xbox Live: Optimus Bry :: PSN: Optimusbry :: Steam ID: Optimus Bry
  • bloatedhippobloatedhippo Registered User regular
    Oooh looks interesting!

  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Cool! I know why this wasn't done on the Thursday but I am looking for Thursday alternative to the TWDT.
    I may still go on this but have you thought of moving it to Thursday?

    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • dm_magicdm_magic Registered User regular
    Serenity wrote: »
    Cool! I know why this wasn't done on the Thursday but I am looking for Thursday alternative to the TWDT.
    I may still go on this but have you thought of moving it to Thursday?

    That would be sad, as I've got tickets to the TWDT.

    :cry:

    bn4KEyz.png
    akjak
  • jthom252jthom252 Registered User regular
    I haven't had a chance to do a PAX pub crawl yet, I kind of want to give this one a shot even though I'm not super familiar with the Lovecraft mythos.

  • swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Serenity wrote: »
    Cool! I know why this wasn't done on the Thursday but I am looking for Thursday alternative to the TWDT.
    I may still go on this but have you thought of moving it to Thursday?

    As you probably guessed, we intentionally didn't want to conflict with the TWDT. They've got their own epic pub crawl, and we're developing ours! We also really wanted to have a crawl smack in the middle of PAX - a nice "half way point" in the con. We definitely will be learning as much as we can from this experience, though, and will look for ways to make it even better next year!

    swordgoatz on
    Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
  • swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    jthom252 wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to do a PAX pub crawl yet, I kind of want to give this one a shot even though I'm not super familiar with the Lovecraft mythos.

    This will be a gamified event, and you'll face unique themed challenges at each stop, but a deep understanding of Lovecraft wont be needed to have a great time!

    Who knows, this might even get you hooked on the mythos!

    swordgoatz on
    Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
  • swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    We are narrowing down the pubs for the H.P. Pubcraft Lovecrawl, are there any Ballard favorites that pubcrawlers would like us to consider?

    Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
  • Jonny09Jonny09 Registered User regular
    The ballroom and the red door.

  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I'm glad it doesn't conflict with the TWDT. Ideally I'm going to do both :)

    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    dm_magic
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Jonny09 wrote: »
    The ballroom and the red door.

    Those are both in Fremont. @swordgoatz - are you doing Fremont and Ballard, or just sticking to Ballard?

    My vote is for Hazelwood. But definitely call ahead and let them know you'd be bringing a group if you add it.

    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    Jonny09 wrote: »
    The ballroom and the red door.

    Those are both in Fremont. @swordgoatz - are you doing Fremont and Ballard, or just sticking to Ballard?

    My vote is for Hazelwood. But definitely call ahead and let them know you'd be bringing a group if you add it.

    We're sticking to Ballard, anywhere within walking distance of Card Kingdom / Cafe Mox, and we're calling ahead to all bars to confirm that they can handle the load. I'll look into the Hazelwood. Thanks!

    Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
  • BradrcrBradrcr Beer Jedi Seattle, WaRegistered User regular
    I'd recommend the Loft, Hi Life, Kangaroo and Kiwi, 2 Bit Saloon and Hilliards for spots that have good space and receptive ownership.

    Official Host of the Elysian PPPP (Pax Prime Prefunk Party) :D
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/elysian-pppp-pax-prime-prefunk-party-tickets-17987440920
    LexiconGrrl
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Yeah, Hazelwood is really small and wouldn't be good for too large a group.

    However, one more add: Ballard's own Fighting' Irish bar, the Conor Byrne.

    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    Hmm, this does intrigue me. I'm not on the Facebook (I know I'm probably the only person on the Forums not on FB, but it does suck when an event is only being organized on another site, making it hard to get the details), but I may attend anyway.

    3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

    Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    Because of the great response we're getting, we are moving the check-in to the tournament space at Card Kingdom. You'll find us there at 8:30. 8-)

    Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
  • swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    Enigmas wrote: »
    Hmm, this does intrigue me. I'm not on the Facebook (I know I'm probably the only person on the Forums not on FB, but it does suck when an event is only being organized on another site, making it hard to get the details), but I may attend anyway.

    No prob! If everything goes as planned, we'll probably do an eventbrite next year. Also, you can stay tuned to this thread for all updates.

    We'll put you down as a maybe. :)

    Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
  • BradrcrBradrcr Beer Jedi Seattle, WaRegistered User regular
    I will be in for this if the wife puts the hammer down on the concerts. FYI, if you're on your way into Ballard, I run sales for Odin brewing and 2 months ago we opened a taproom in Fremont. It is definitely not walking distance from Ballard, but we are running 15% off pints for anyone with a badge. The taproom is Asgard Tavern, 1300 N Northlake Way, Seattle. It's about 2 miles from downtown, stop in if you can.

    Official Host of the Elysian PPPP (Pax Prime Prefunk Party) :D
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/elysian-pppp-pax-prime-prefunk-party-tickets-17987440920
  • swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    We got the sanity and stamina markers in the mail today. Will you survive the night? Or go insane?

    SntT9N8.jpg?1

    Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
  • RDubbRDubb Registered User regular
    Just to be clear: are you intentionally withholding the specific rules, challenges, map, etc, or am I just really bad at reading?

    I figure you're just trying to keep an air of mystery (which is awesome) but I wanted to make sure ahead of time.

  • swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    RDubb wrote: »
    Just to be clear: are you intentionally withholding the specific rules, challenges, map, etc, or am I just really bad at reading?

    I figure you're just trying to keep an air of mystery (which is awesome) but I wanted to make sure ahead of time.

    We are keeping most of the details under wraps until the event. All that we're saying now is that it is a gamified Lovecraftian pubcrawl through the streets of Ballard (with prizes)! You'll have to show up to get the full experience!

    Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    swordgoatz wrote: »
    RDubb wrote: »
    Just to be clear: are you intentionally withholding the specific rules, challenges, map, etc, or am I just really bad at reading?

    I figure you're just trying to keep an air of mystery (which is awesome) but I wanted to make sure ahead of time.

    We are keeping most of the details under wraps until the event. All that we're saying now is that it is a gamified Lovecraftian pubcrawl through the streets of Ballard (with prizes)! You'll have to show up to get the full experience!

    So long as those secrets don't include things like a charity auction or something else that might require an unexpectedly large chunk of cash, I'm cool with it.

  • swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    So long as those secrets don't include things like a charity auction or something else that might require an unexpectedly large chunk of cash, I'm cool with it.

    Nope. Just bring your penchant for otherworldly fun and enough cash for your bar tab. :)

    Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
  • ShubNiggurathShubNiggurath Arkham, MARegistered User regular
    Anyone have a general idea of how much cab fare would be from the convention center to Card Kingdom? I don't think I'd be up for navigating the bus system after a pub crawl.

    High Priestess Ubb of the island of Yhe Abyss
    VillagerDB Wish List
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Anyone have a general idea of how much cab fare would be from the convention center to Card Kingdom? I don't think I'd be up for navigating the bus system after a pub crawl.

    Probably around $15. Plan on $20 just in case.

    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    swordgoatz
  • swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    We just got our event posters back from the printers. Here's a sneak peek.

    GSH3zbfl.jpg

    Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
  • PARAGASPARAGAS Registered User regular
    swordgoatz wrote: »
    We are narrowing down the pubs for the H.P. Pubcraft Lovecrawl, are there any Ballard favorites that pubcrawlers would like us to consider?

    The Market Arms is a really good English Pub and the Sloop Tavern is a great place for cheap beer (33.8 oz microbrew for $6.50).

    http://www.themarketarms.com/

    http://www.theslooptavern.com/

  • RussBRussB Registered User regular
    How do you keep from getting stuck out in the rain if/when the pub's full? Event has a lot of people, so I was wondering how that gets handled. Love the concept btw!

  • swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    RussB wrote: »
    How do you keep from getting stuck out in the rain if/when the pub's full? Event has a lot of people, so I was wondering how that gets handled. Love the concept btw!

    We're coordinating with pubs that can accommodate the load. And it's foretasted to be cloudy with a chance of thunder, nothing sounds more foreboding to me. :)

    Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    swordgoatz wrote: »
    RussB wrote: »
    How do you keep from getting stuck out in the rain if/when the pub's full? Event has a lot of people, so I was wondering how that gets handled. Love the concept btw!

    We're coordinating with pubs that can accommodate the load. And it's foretasted to be cloudy with a chance of thunder, nothing sounds more foreboding to me. :)

    You must have a tongue for the weather...

    6YJGH2V.png
    swordgoatz
  • swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    You must have a tongue for the weather...

    It's delicious!



    Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
Sign In or Register to comment.