As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating]: You'll just get older and acquire more dogs.

RichyRichy Registered User regular
edited November 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
This OP catalogues the general dating knowledge our threads have gathered, with a special focus on profile-writing and messaging. Read it well. There's really not much of it anyway.

Winner of the 2008 award for best use of caps in a sentence:
YOU ARE TRYING TO WOO A MATE. THIS IS NOT AN HONEST AUTOBIOGRAPHY. YOU'RE SELLING YOURSELF.

General but important communication tips:
STOP being "honest" via self deprecation.
STOP apologizing to the reader of your profile or messages.
STOP making excuses to the reader.
STOP following confident statements with insecure "lol" or "haha" or "i guess".
STOP insulting your own life path in your profile.
STOP calling yourself nerdy or geeky or dorky or funny or witty or handsome or sarcastic or any-fucking-thing. Leave out any sentences that say, "I am [adjective]" unless you are prepared to put up or shut up.
STOP writing anything that the OKC Bullshit to English translator will correct for you.
STOP not writing people because you're convinced they're too good/hot/popular/smart/whatever to be interested in you. Write them and let them decide whether or not they want to have sex with you. Don't make the decision for them.
STOP sucking at online dating

Pictures:
- Your main picture should feature you, alone, and your face should be visible. Preference should be given to a low depth of field, thus keeping the focus on you and the mood intimate. Women should look at the camera smiling or flirting. Guys should look away from the camera pensively.
- Other pictures can include other people, but do specify who you are in the picture through captions, blurring out other people's faces, a giant arrow, something. No one like to play the game of "guess who's the person in common in all these pictures".
- Do not put up pictures where you are not at all. It's a dating site, not a Facebook album.
- Do not put up pictures with more attractive friends.
- Do not put up pictures with your ex. Why would you think that's a good idea?
- Do not put up blurry, poorly-lit, poorly-framed, or just generally bad pictures. Cell phone pics are notorious for that reason.
- No dick pics.
- Try to include one full-body pic to show what you look like completely.
- Choose wisely:
male_photo_contexts2.png
- Read here for more stats.
- Do not pick pictures that look like that.

Site-specific profile-writing tips:
OKCupud wrote:

My Self Summary
- Be Specific
- Show, don't tell. Use stories to show that you are interesting
- Don't talk about vague shit like "I like to travel" and "I read books for fun" and "I have maintained possession of both my eyes since birth."

What I'm Doing With My Life
- Don't beat around the bush. Just fucking tell me what you do for money or what you are studying in school. It's going to be a first question on a date and gives a potential suitor something to ask you about.
- Put interesting things in here. Hobbies. Not JUST work-things. Show me why you are awesome to hang out with.

I'm Really Good At
- You are not good at making people laugh or being funny or whatever. Find SKILLS that you have that you are good at. I can cut a deck of cards one-handed. I can drive stick shift. Something interesting that you can do that is awesome.

First Things People Notice
- It's not your smile or your eyes or your sense of humor or whatever.
- Think about something that people would notice across a bar if you were hanging out with your friends in a loud, crowded place.

Favourites
- List YOUR FAVOURITES. Not every book, movie, television show, and food you've ever read, seen, watched, or eaten.
- Pick 10-12 things MAXIMUM
- If you must use key words, only key word two or three things in each section. The favourites of your favourites.
- For books, list titles, not authors. Some authors write a wide range of books. Some authors are associated with being a prick or a poser. Book Titles tell a lot more about who you are as a person.
- Keep the list trim by only listing works that give us a window into your personality. Don't make a massively long section that indiscriminately lists everything you like.

Six Things
- Don't list bullshit like oxygen, air, water, food, friends and family. It's boring and meaningless.
- Don't list your computer, the internet, these forums, or something else pathetic.
- Do list things relating to stuff you love or mentionned elsewhere in the profile. Feel free to be silly here, but don't list six random things that have no connection or theme.

I Spend a lot of time thinking about
- Don't suddenly get all deep and existential when there's nothing else like that in your profile.
- Don't say "Taking over the world" because that's bullshit.
- Feel free to be funny or silly here, too, but don't make it cliché.

Typical Friday
- Don't say "there is no typical Friday"
- Don't say "taking over the world"
- Don't say "out with friends or in reading a book" like every other person ever
- Don't say you're busy with work/whatever Friday and really go out Saturday. The question is not literally about Friday night, it's about what you do for fun. It's your chance to prove to us what a fun person you are. If you fail at it, then you're no fun, and no one wants to date someone who's no fun.
- Be specific. If you are out with friends, what are you doing? Do you go dancing? Go to bars for trivia night? Watch movies and eat popcorn?

The Most Private Thing
- ANSWER THE GODDAMN QUESTION
- It's not "I'm on a dating website"

Message me if
- Don't say "if you want to" or any other variation of that. BE SPCIFIC.
POF wrote:
Headline:
- Do not write "I never know what to write in those things". Think of something. It's not hard.
- Do not write "Headlines are stupid". NO U.

I am looking for:
- Not "intimate encounters". Girls do not need the internet to find "intimate encounters". Most of them, in fact, have their accounts set to automatically block messages from guys looking for "intimate encounters".

Question section:
- Do not "prefer not to say". These are simple straightforward questions that give some basic background info on yourself. Answer them. They're not asking the number of girls you slept with or the size of your wang or the hiding place of John Connor. They're asking whether or not you own a car. If you can't answer that with a simple yes/no, you've got issues.

Interests:
- Put some.
- Be specific. "Fun" is not an interest.
- "Doing stuff" is not an interest. Neither is "taking over the world".

About me:
- Everything from the OKC profile advice applies here.

First date:
- Do not write "i dunno." Do not write "you come up with something." Do not write "we'll talk about it and decide." Do not write "whatever you want to do." It makes you look dull and unimaginative and boring.
- Everyone has a mental picture of an ideal date. Write a one or two line abstract of it.
- This section is important. It gives the other person a good idea of your personality. If your ideal first date idea is chatting over coffee, you might not be a match for someone whose ideal first date is skydiving over a volcano while carrying an active bomb wrapped in barbed wire. See? Important information there.

Ice-breaker messages
The simple rule is: be concise, comment on something on her profile to show you read it and possibly relate it to something in your experience, ask a question so she can easily follow-up, spell properly, don't send dick pics.
The more complex rules are:
Exactly what to say in a first message at the OKC blog

Learn to spell better than a cat.
netspeak-chart.png

The humps that matter are her brain lobes, not her boobs.
compliments-chart.png

Be original.
salutations-chart.png

Talk about metal-loving vegetarian zombies.
interests-chart.png

Engage her in the discussion.
engage-chart.png

Charts!
Wherein numbers are plotted against other numbers to look more interesting.
Lie about your height:
MaleHeightDistributionYoink.png

Men are stupid:
Male-Messaging-Curve.png

Score 1 for Apple:
SexAndSmartPhonesByAge.png

sig.gif
Richy on

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I am getting married in 8 days to a woman I met on OKC last year.

\o/

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »

\o/

Our thread invitation must have gotten lost in the mail...

Seriously though, amazing awesome dude! Congrats!

sig.gif
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Where to I show up to object to the union?

"This man must be single forever, to serve as an example to the internet dating thread!"

• Options
    k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    Hey guys. Trying to get over my stupid irrational stigma against internet dating. Please explain to me what my problem is, and how to get over it. Preferably with stories of how you stopped fearing and learned to love internet dating.

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    k-maps wrote: »
    Hey guys. Trying to get over my stupid irrational stigma against internet dating. Please explain to me what my problem is, and how to get over it. Preferably with stories of how you stopped fearing and learned to love internet dating.
    What don't you like about internet dating? It certainly works, as evidenced by many of us in this thread. For us to assuage your concerns you're going to have to let us know what they are.

• Options
    k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I don't know :-\. Some vague misguided aesthetic notion of wanting to develop relationships in a natural happenstance gradual way that I've had in the past. There is something more exciting about that than putting concerted effort in finding a relationship. Sort of the same reasons people insist on natural births and eating organic food regardless of the supposed improved health benefits. It's really vague and unsubstantiated, but it's enough to deter me nonetheless.

Also, privacy concerns.

k-maps on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I don't know :-\. Some vague misguided aesthetic notion of wanting to develop relationships in a natural happenstance gradual way that I've had in the past. There is something more exciting about that than putting concerted effort in finding a relationship. Sort of the same reasons people insist on natural births and eating organic food regardless of the supposed improved health benefits. It's really vague and unsubstantiated, but it's enough to deter me nonetheless.

Also, privacy concerns.

If you know a significant number of couples, odds are one or them met on the internets. They just haven't told you. People, real people you know, do this.

Also, having sexy times with Internet peoples is better than no sexy times at all, guaranteed. Plus, Internet dating and and finding people offline aren't mutually exclusive.

As for privacy, I dunno, get over it? And anybody that sees you online is on there too.

Go make a profile and post it. Well help you.

• Options
    I think I'll take you up on it. Is there a template I can use? I think once I have a version on paper I'm happy with, some of my fears might dissipate.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Look at the signup for OKC, there is your template. Also try checking out some of the profiles that people have linked, but be sure to read the comments and suggestions posted to the thread as well on them.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    The OP also has our collected profile-writing tips. I recommend you read it before you start preparing your own.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

\o/

The thread peaked in post 2. It's all downhill from there.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

\o/

And then I show up. Full steam ahead!

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Gotta let that stuff snowball...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I have a lunch date tomorrow with a girl I've been talking to since Wednesday. Should be a good time. :-) She messaged me soon after I fixed up my profile... thanks for all the tips everyone.

• Options
    okay, so help me out here. If I want to be listed as bi, be seen by both straight and non-straight people, but only have my bi status shown to non-straight people, I would need to make two profiles?

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Yes, but your bi profile will also be seen by straight people of the opposite sex, unless they specifically search for straights only. And vice versa with your straight profile. Basically you're relying on other people to filter you out, and a lot of people are going to get both profiles if they're identical.

I haven't yet figured out how to make a separate profile work on OKC, so for now I'm just sticking with one. And fuck 'em, if they're put off by my orientation, I don't want to date them anyway; nor do I want to lie to them about it, even to start with. I understand if you do though.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ugh, that's counter-intuitive. I generally agree with your sentiment, it just opens a whole new can of worms for me of not wanting to come out to some of my friends & family in this way --- not because I care that much, but because I haven't gotten around to it, and I don't feel like doing it because I think they'll suspect I'm doing it for attention more than anything if I just tell them out of the blue. But I don't want them to find out in a roundabout way either, because it makes it seems like I'm hiding it from them(?)....

see? this is the bullshit my brain harasses me with...

k-maps on
  • Options
    ugh, that's counter-intuitive. I generally agree with your sentiment, it just opens a whole new can of worms for me of not wanting to come out to some of my friends & family in this way --- not because I care that much, but because I haven't gotten around to it, and I don't feel like doing it because I think they'll suspect I'm doing it for attention more than anything if I just tell them out of the blue. But I don't want them to find out in a roundabout way either, because it makes it seems like I'm hiding it from them(?)....

As a rule, not just for internet dating but for life in general, don't put something online unless you're ok with everyone on Earth knowing it about you.

sig.gif
  • Options
    @k-maps PM'd.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options

I don't have a bi profile, since I don't think that's the best way for someone to know.

Unfortunately there are problems no matter which way you go as a bisexual. (And no, that wasn't written as a joke but there it is.)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    k, thanks, didn't mean to hijack the thread. But, I do think it's a serious issue that OKC would only require a trivial modification to their profile settings to fix. This is why we need an open-source online dating platform (this is a terrible idea)!

k-maps on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    k, thanks, didn't mean to hijack the thread. But, I do think it's a serious issue that OKC would only require a trivial modification to their profile settings to fix. This is why we need an open-source online dating platform (this is a terrible idea)!

It's not hijacking the thread at all. This is exactly a reason for this thread, and this is a great group of people to help you with this.

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Were we looking for failure in here?

Just got dumped by my internet GF of five months outside the airport after getting back from a six night cruise.

BEAT THAT, FUCKERS

Gork on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Ouch Gork.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Oh what the hell.

Now I'm surrounded by Beliebers while trying to get home from the airport on public transport.

• Options
    Gork wrote: »
    Were we looking for failure in here?

Just got dumped by my internet GF of five months outside the airport after getting back from a six night cruise.

BEAT THAT, FUCKERS

):

I had a similar traumatic experience...worst part, get "PTSD" everytime I go to the airport. Like can you wait until I'm somewhere that I don't go to frequently?

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

\o/

I will try and pick it up again. I'm getting married on Dec 31st with party till midnight. I met her threw Craigs List.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    AeneasAeneas Registered User regular
    Gork wrote: »
    Oh what the hell.

Now I'm surrounded by Beliebers while trying to get home from the airport on public transport.

From bad to worse. You have my condolences man. :(

Hear about the cow that tried to jump over a barbed-wire fence? It was udder disaster.
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    First page of the thread and it's already like some fucked up S curve.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I fucking love when someone deletes their profile in the time in between you looking at it and refreshing the page.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Jeedan wrote: »
    I fucking love when someone deletes their profile in the time in between you looking at it and refreshing the page.

They sensed a disturbance in the force.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    so.... I have a bi profile on okc there is a check box under basic info for "I don't want to be seen by straight people"

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    redx wrote: »
    so.... I have a bi profile on okc there is a check box under basic info for "I don't want to be seen by straight people"

I don't think so, but it looks like you can change your "looking for" to straight/bi/gay only

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Usagi wrote: »
    redx wrote: »

I don't think so, but it looks like you can change your "looking for" to straight/bi/gay only

:roll:

thingy.png

*bamf*, yo.

From the new genderqueer centric profile I'm creating. Empty right now, just a place holder.

Edit, guess you don't see straight folk either, which I guess is sort of fair.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ...that's pretty fantastic. Hooray for OKC!

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Oh awesome, gj OKC!

• Options
    See? Not that hard...

• Options
    The only problem is I do want to be seen by straight people.

Hell, that check box right now would make you invisible to me, since I'm just listing as straight, and I doubt I'm the only one. I can still browse for gay/bi dudes on my own... ;)

Depends on what your goals are but something to think about.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Depends on what your goals are but something to think about.

I think a lot of us adjust parts of our settings and profiles based on what our goals are at any given time. Being able to play with what you see and who sees you is a feature meant to be used.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772