As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

4 Hipsters 1 Cup

GrobianGrobian What's on sale?Pliers!Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in Social Entropy++
L14LqBJ.jpg

Pictured above are the winners of this years Hipster Cup. 12 teams from all over the world (well, mostly Berlin) competed in disciplines like Skinny-Jeans-Tug-o-War, Gym Bag Confetti Hurdles etc.

cXEuNjD.jpg
The olympic spirit was held up by way to few spectators, because it was a super hot day and Berlin as a whole spent the day at or in all available bodies of water.

Here is a video from a public TV-station. it is in German, but at least it's moving pictures.

They also had special events like a mini Science Slam talking about how the pancreas is the Hipster of the body, a face painting team glittering people up, a wall with "What Berliner's don't say"-stickers and so on.
This one says "When will David Guetta finally play at Berghain?"
hI6okh1.jpg

There was also live music like this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rj86RUK88g

And actual good music like these guys (playing in front of like 6 people, it was pretty sad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiuciTHBrxo

We went far too late, missed almost everything but stayed until the after-party (really a different thing, but in the same location) kicked off and drank too much beer and danced too much.

Use this thread to talk about your post-ironic meta hate for Hipsters or just about going clubbing, I dunno.

Grobian on

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    Sounds pretty mainstream if you ask me.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    if they won doesn't that mean they didn't really win

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    if they won doesn't that mean they didn't really win

They don't even look particularly hipsterish

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    danced too much.

I cant get my head around this concept

• Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    i am officially over capacity with the whole 'lol hipsters' thing

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Thought this was going to be a coffee thread.

• Options
    since when are gym bags a hipster status symbol? are people just making up stereotypes now

• Options
    Grobian wrote: »
    danced too much.

I cant get my head around this concept

I was wearing flip-flops and now I have sore calves.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Snork wrote: »
    since when are gym bags a hipster status symbol? are people just making up stereotypes now
    the word "hipster" has been completely stripped of meaning--which, honestly, was true like four years ago--and usually is deployed as a catch-all intended to describe a thing one doesn't understand the appeal of, by people who usually have never seen a traditional hipster in their lives

"hipster" lies next to "emo" in the graveyard of subculture vocabulary

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    Obligatory

dland.hipster.jpg

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Hipster - n. - a bohemian who tries too hard

see also: scene kid, emo, hippie, yuppie...

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've been guilty of overusing the word in the past

But now what constitutes hipster for me is not how weird your interests are but whether they're things you legit enjoy or things you pretend to enjoy for irony or to get some kind of imaginary street cred

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    or things you pretend to enjoy for irony or to get some kind of imaginary street cred
    not entirely convinced persons such as this exist, at least beyond the extent that we all do this a little
    i live right in the middle of one of the hipsteriest neighborhoods around and i have seen plenty of moustaches and expensive hats and cutoffs but generally when someone is invested in a subculture it is in earnest

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Snork wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    or things you pretend to enjoy for irony or to get some kind of imaginary street cred
    not entirely convinced persons such as this exist, at least beyond the extent that we all do this a little
    i live right in the middle of one of the hipsteriest neighborhoods around and i have seen plenty of moustaches and expensive hats and cutoffs but generally when someone is invested in a subculture it is in earnest

Nope. Speak for yourself, sure.

But why in the hell would I pretend to like something if I don't? What a colossal waste of time.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Ways to define hipster that mostly work:

A hipster is a member of a counter-culture that is not actively rebelling against anything.

A hipster is a fashion sense made into a subculture, rather than a subculture with a fashion sense.

The aforementioned pejorative quality- a hipster is someone who is doing something you don't like or understand.

I live in what is allegedly one of the hippest parts of Chicago, and am surrounded by "hipsters" on a regular basis. I'd still call them hipsters, but they're definitely different from what people may have called hipsters five or six years ago. The fashion has changed, but mostly organically, so it's not really a different group of people, even though they aren't really the same, in the end. You can take this two ways- either the term means nothing anymore because we're not applying it to original flavor hipsters, or that hipster, being such an ill-defined concept in the first place, has just transformed into another ill-defined concept. I choose to go with the latter, myself, because there is definitely a prevailing movement/ethos/whatever, a way to describe these people (and myself, who am I fucking kidding), but I don't have another word that seems to work quite as well or have the same cultural understanding.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    For me, being a hipster is intrinsically linked to pretentiousness and that's really the big part. To be fair, it's not a term that I really use that much?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Ways to define hipster that mostly work:

A hipster is a member of a counter-culture that is not actively rebelling against anything.

A hipster is a fashion sense made into a subculture, rather than a subculture with a fashion sense.

The aforementioned pejorative quality- a hipster is someone who is doing something you don't like or understand.

I live in what is allegedly one of the hippest parts of Chicago, and am surrounded by "hipsters" on a regular basis. I'd still call them hipsters, but they're definitely different from what people may have called hipsters five or six years ago. The fashion has changed, but mostly organically, so it's not really a different group of people, even though they aren't really the same, in the end. You can take this two ways- either the term means nothing anymore because we're not applying it to original flavor hipsters, or that hipster, being such an ill-defined concept in the first place, has just transformed into another ill-defined concept. I choose to go with the latter, myself, because there is definitely a prevailing movement/ethos/whatever, a way to describe these people (and myself, who am I fucking kidding), but I don't have another word that seems to work quite as well or have the same cultural understanding.
    if the concepts are so ill-defined and can only trace their lineage back to other ill-defined stereotypes, then what real cultural understanding is there though?
    if someone can use the same word to describe both someone with a moustache and an EBT card who reads pitchfork every day and someone who only listens to mumford and sons and got their goodwill-looking clothes at a premium from Anthropologie then what is the point in having the word

EDIT: and although i don't think you put forward that first definition seriously, it's still a total cop-out. being a part of a counter-culture at all is kind of already rebelling against something, and while i'm sure some people do it for more narcissistic reasons than others, branding and judging someone based on perceived motivations from how they look is lame and facile no matter whom you apply it to.

Snork on