As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] - I heard the next game is a monologue about misogyny. Oh wait.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (2007) - I AM AWFUL AND NEVER GOT TO PLAY THIS! D:

Hmmm. I felt it was a nice wrap up to the Prime Trilogy (story wise, never but I really dislike Prime 2), but gameplay wise it was meh.

My spoilers (Story and gameplay)
    All beams were linear upgrades like in the GBA versions, did not like that in Prime.

There were a few stealth sections that I didn't like. Either do them right or not at all.

I always felt that there was no conclusion to the robot people built by the Chozon and infected by the corrupted bounty hunted. Are they all dead now, still infected? What?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    One thing I didn't like about the trilogy collection is that it removed the title screen from the original Metroid Prime and MP2. I liked those title screens and menus!

Also, they had really cool music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfGsArRQjKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLOkc9MwFHs

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    The Metroid series is why I like video games as much as I do, and has completely defined my gaming tastes.

I picked up the MP Trilogy on Amazon for $90 a year/18 months ago. Do not regret this purchase at all.

Still working on backlog from the Steam summer sale and I think it's time to do another run through Super Metroid.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
  • Options
    okay also I'm going to talk more AM2R

It's fantastic. There's some stuff that the trailer doesn't show off, like the phenomenal lighting and particles. In particular, the electricity around Samus when using a save point looks really good.

Also, the Metroids themselves are super challenging. They're only vulnerable from below, just like M2, but they're

A) Fast
    B) Smart

They'll hover around, use sudden changes in speed and height to trip you up, block missiles with their shells, and outright dodge missiles fired from too far away. The first metroid I encountered I ran out of missiles and died. It gets a little easier when you get more missiles, but about that point you start seeing Betas, who have their own challenges.

There are new minibosses that feel right at home and integrate with the game in surprising ways.

There's a log system, but scanning is automatic and doesn't stop gameplay, which I love.

okay I'm done gushing

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man that Metroid 2 remake seems to have been in development forever. I seriously wonder why Nintendo hasn't done it earlier? Did Zero Mission underperform that badly?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Man that Metroid 2 remake seems to have been in development forever. I seriously wonder why Nintendo hasn't done it earlier? Did Zero Mission underperform that badly?

Metroid in general has underperformed unfortunately.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I don't think Other M shouldn't discourage other studios from attempting to characterize Samus. She's a prime (hurr) candidate for examination in PTSD, isolationist behavior, and in general being a borderline sociopath. Just leave out the Adam junk and that other infant related creature. Not now or tomorrow, but someday when another talented studio gets their shot at the franchise.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Yeah according to Wikipedia the series, as a whole, has only sold like 17 million units. But I suspect that the lack of popularity in Japan has something to do with this. It's still a modest success, just not like big mclargehuge.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Metroid Prime is a game I adore

The rest of the series...not so much

But I appreciate it for kickstarting Metroidvanias, which is quite possibly my favorite genre outside of rhythm games

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options

Yeah according to Wikipedia the series, as a whole, has only sold like 17 million units. But I suspect that the lack of popularity in Japan has something to do with this. It's still a modest success, just not like big mclargehuge.

And Other M was most likely their attempt to increase popularity in Japan, and we see how well that did. :(

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    In celebration of Samus' 27th, let us blast Sakamoto into the sun.

• Options
    Shady3011 wrote: »

That was what you said for the 26th!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

But I appreciate it for kickstarting Metroidvanias, which is quite possibly my favorite genre outside of rhythm games

Oh oh I hope you fit the profile for this question, don't let me down UV:

I wonder how many people played Metroid Prime as their first game in the series, and how it affected their view on the rest of the games (and for what reasons)?

• Options
    edited August 2013

That was what you said for the 26th!

You can't kill a dead man. Also, it's been the best gift to give her since 2010.

Shady3011 on
  • Options

Oh oh I hope you fit the profile for this question, don't let me down UV:

I wonder how many people played Metroid Prime as their first game in the series, and how it affected their view on the rest of the games (and for what reasons)?

I played Super Metroid first, sorry

But Metroid Prime set a bar afterward that was pretty impossibly high by being a literally perfect video game

Of the series, I've played: Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion and like five minutes of Metroid Prime 3

• Options
    I can at least agree to Metroid Prime being incredible to the point of being very close to being my most favorite. But Super Metroid still surpasses.

• Options
    Who do I email to request a Metroid Prime Trilogy for Wii U

And you can hold up the Game Pad to scan stuff

• Options

Best to snail mail probably

Nintendo of America
    PO Box 957
    Redmond, WA

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Damn if Prime didn't have the best soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbbUv1hz6mE

• Options

Nintendo of America

Just to let you know, you're pitching this one right over the plate

• Options

Nintendo of America

Just to let you know, you're pitching this one right over the plate

I know. No one uses snail mail anymore

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Boo.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    You know, I had an idea for a really easy way Other M could have been improved. Aside from getting a thesaurus to change up usage of the *forbidden phrase*, I think a lot could have been fixed by an improved intro. Now just hear me out here:

Instead of starting with the end of Super Metroid, show Samus as a little girl playing in her home colony. Large shadows darken the scene as we pan up to see Space Pirate warships coming in from the sky. Cut to Space Pirates gunning down colonists (people killed off screen, this is a Nintendo game) as we see Samus hiding in a cupboard or amongst rubble. We see her look out as the terrifying figure of Ridley walks by in the foreground. She yelps, ducks her head down and the scene fades to black while we still hear screams and laser sounds.

Fade back in to see Samus still hiding, but now the sun is shining on her. A clawed hand extends out to her, and we pan around to see a few Chozo. Samus sniffles, wipes away her tears and we see a montage of her being raised/trained by the Chozo (Similar to Zero Missions special endings). Eventually, we see them giving Samus her armor, and the montage finishes with some quick shots of Metroid I, II and Super, culminating in the ending scene from Super Metroid that started the game. End that cutscene with Samus waking up in a cold sweat, saying the nightmares have been increasing since her battle with Mother Brain.

I would fix a lot more about the games story, but I think that would definitely fix some issues. Most notable, it would provide some much needed context to the Ridley scene currently in the game. Also, by heavily implying PTST in the beginning, it would provide some explanation for Samus's demeanor throughout the game. It would also fix the glaring issue that the Chozo are not mentioned once in the game, which was supposed to flesh out Samus's backstory.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Other M did give us one good thing.

1z66vjt.gif

• Options
    Other M did give us one good thing.

1z66vjt.gif

Yeah, a black man in the Metroid universe.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Racist.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I thought, gameplay wise, Other M had great ideas that needed a lot of work. I wouldn't mind Retro applying their touch to Other M's Samabusa.

Also, the areas and navigations were garbage. I ran around in circles, I bounced around walls looking for something to interact with, and it ended up being the first Metroid I was unwilling to finish.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I rather they work off nothing. Super Metroid if they needed a base.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    This concept art of Admiral Dane from MP3 is blowing my mind
    Admiraldane.png

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    huh

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

That looks pretty cool. Should we expect a cease & desist letter from Nintendo aimed at the devs just before final release? I don't know if this is a thing that Nintendo regularly does.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

holy shit I need this

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    agoaj wrote: »
    This concept art of Admiral Dane from MP3 is blowing my mind
    Admiraldane.png

Wow, Pegleg the space admiral.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Probably nit-picky of me, but the graphics bother me. 99% of them are cribbed from Zero Mission or Fusion and the ones that aren't kind of stand out as terrible attempts to recolor the GB sprites.

Anyways, Nintendo doesn't typically do cease and desists unless the thing is trying to make money off their license. Hell, Zelda Classic has operated un-inhindered for over a decade now and Nintendo most definitely knows about that one. I think I read a Nintendo rep somewhere say that they are mostly flattered that fans love their games enough to do stuff like this (again, so long as they aren't making money off it)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I love Metroid, but to be honest I never really got into the Prime games. I should give them another chance someday. I do however freaking love Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and Fusion. Super Metroid is def. in my top 3 favorite SNES games.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Probably nit-picky of me, but the graphics bother me. 99% of them are cribbed from Zero Mission or Fusion and the ones that aren't kind of stand out as terrible attempts to recolor the GB sprites.

Video games are difficult to make. I really hate this kind of complaint (in this context).

• Options
    There's a demo for AM2R, and it goes all the way through the first two areas. I definitely recommend playing it. That way if Nintendo does C&D it, you'll still have that.

This discussion has been closed.