Options

[Metroid] - I heard the next game is a monologue about misogyny. Oh wait.

• Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    This isn't to say anyone has definitively 100% proven that what portrayals of female characters and similar in games show has Y effect, but you can't just go "lol nope" to this without addressing what multiple studies have indicated*. ...

Games that basically knee cap a previously strong female character and portray an undesirably abusive relationship (which is what Other M arguably presents at the core of its narrative) could well be argued (on current evidence) to be objectively harmful. ...

However, implying that there is a definitive answer that these things don't have an effect (or for that matter, definitively do) is wrong based on what has currently been done. More work might show that objectification in media does not have the effect that I've claimed it does, while simultaneously further studies and better methods might show that violent media does have an effect.

It actually doesn't seem like we do disagree substantially, but this does seem contradictory to me. Saying something is objectively harmful requires the kind of definitive proof you're agreeing nobody has managed to produce, which was my original point. That's it.

LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Look. It's not that Other M isn't a legit example of misogyny in video games and the sexualization of characters, etc. Because it is, and it's terrible, and Nintendo continuing to legitimize it by doing shit like giving Samus heels when she originally had boots - even if it's cool rocket-heels - is horrible.

But this thread keeps looping around to it folks.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Except this:

main.png

Is not this:
    I don't think hyper advanced bird people would think "lets make this human armor SEXY to appease the males of her species and ensure their rock hard boners will forever tent their pants in glorious tribute to the Chozo empire!" I would guess they would operate more in terms of efficiency and effectiveness in their fucking battle armor design. Not some misogynistic weirdo's supermodel armor designs.
    This above is some silly goosey hyperbolic rhetoric.

That armor is not sexy or super sexualized. You guys are projecting. The pose is sexualized a bit, but if she was posing like in the games, with the legs far apart to give her a more stable position for shooting, she could be really unisex.

This is the super awesome figma Samus:
    Figma-Metroid-Other-M_1325182968.jpg

It has nearly the same proportions, but it doesn't look hypersexualized or misogynistic. It's just the pose that's different. The hourglass shape is much more a function of the design than some sexualization attempt. I bet your ass that most people who don't know Samus would think that's a guy.

EDIT:
    I mean, all that silly hyperbolic crap could be said of RAIDEN:

3aecede2dfca195452d6094b15eb946f.jpg657468-252550_mgs2_raiden_super.jpg

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I actually bought that Figma figure....it's awesome.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Which Prime game is your favorite?

I think it's probably Prine 1 for me, because of how much the game emphasizes the lonely atmosphere of the planet, and lets you figure out the plot for yourself though scanning everything.

Though, I also quite like Corruption, as a logical continuation of the Phazon plot, with Samus's discoveries allowing for tech advancements and plans for combating the threat.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Prime 1 is my favorite of the 3. I appreciate the more "unique" areas in the later two games, but seeing those classic-type zones in prime 1, with all the effects and stuff just..yeah. They dun good.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I want Metroid 2 (Gameboy game) on the Wii U.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I never got to play 3. No Wii, no Wii U. I should see if I can borrow my friend's Wii and snag a used copy.

• Options
    My list of Metroid games probably goes like this:

Prime
    Super Metroid
    Prime 3
    Prime 2
    Zero Mission
    Fusion
    Return of Samus
    Other M
    Metroid
    Prime Hunters

Hunters for some reason I just didn't care for. I liked what they were going for, but the game just wasn't as enjoyable to me.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    My favorite Prime game is Metroid Prime Trilogy. That counts right?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »

I keep holding out for a Zero Mission style remake.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Bigity wrote: »

I keep holding out for a Zero Mission style remake.

Wasn't there a fan remake? That looked pretty awesome.

And yea, I would love for a remake of Metroid 2, it's long overdue for one.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

You're the guy who gets three wishes and has the nerve to wish for more wishes, aren't you? :p

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    It's weird that Metroid 2 hasn't been remade considering the importance that game has to the series as a whole. I mean, practically everything that came after was directly because of the events of Return of Samus.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    It's weird that Metroid 2 hasn't been remade considering the importance that game has to the series as a whole. I mean, practically everything that came after was directly because of the events of Return of Samus.

Outside of the larvae metroid at the end what importance does it have? Don't get me wrong I like the game, but it's stuck smack between the two best ones in the entire series. Metroid started it all, Super Metroid is the best one of the series. Metroid 2 is just this odd beast between the two of them. It holds up on it's own, and it's Metroid, but it feels somewhat out place.

• Options

Outside of the larvae metroid at the end what importance does it have? Don't get me wrong I like the game, but it's stuck smack between the two best ones in the entire series. Metroid started it all, Super Metroid is the best one of the series. Metroid 2 is just this odd beast between the two of them. It holds up on it's own, and it's Metroid, but it feels somewhat out place.

The events in Metroid 2 were the catalyst for the pirates to revive the Metroid Species in Super Metroid, the obvious plot points that shall not be named in Other M, and the hatchling's dna is what was fused to Samus in Fusion to fight off the X virus.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular

The events in Metroid 2 were the catalyst for the pirates to revive the Metroid Species in Super Metroid, the obvious plot points that shall not be named in Other M, and the hatchling's dna is what was fused to Samus in Fusion to fight off the X virus.

Right so other than the hatchling that's it. I mean that's a huge one, but when you say "events" it leads me to think there were multiple things...

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Also, the extinction of Metroids made cloning the larva a hot target, and caused the X breakout in Fusion.

• Options

Right so other than the hatchling that's it. I mean that's a huge one, but when you say "events" it leads me to think there were multiple things...

Yea, the hatchling was the main thing I was talking about as it was the big twist in the game.

The other thing was the extinction of the Metroid species, which as Enlong mentioned, led to the X parasite taking over SR-388 since their natural predator was gone and made the hatchling a target by not just the Space Pirates, but the Federation also as both organizations wanted nothing more than to weaponize the Metroids and control them.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

You're the guy who gets three wishes and has the nerve to wish for more wishes, aren't you? :p

If it means I get to play more Metroid games, of course! ;)

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Which Prime game is your favorite?

I think it's probably Prine 1 for me, because of how much the game emphasizes the lonely atmosphere of the planet, and lets you figure out the plot for yourself though scanning everything.

Though, I also quite like Corruption, as a logical continuation of the Phazon plot, with Samus's discoveries allowing for tech advancements and plans for combating the threat.

Prime 1 easily. It felt the most like a continuous world than a bunch of zones you flip between (Prime 2's dimension mechanic) or several worlds you hop between (Prime 3. And Hunters I guess.)

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Metroid Prime is my favorite of that mini-series. It had to prove itself as something that can work as a Metroid game, so it had to stay most true to established thing in the series. And damn it was it awesome. It built on so much.

Prime 2 just kinda wandered off into, "Okay now we can do what we want," kinda like how the 2nd Matrix movie did. Sure there were a few novel cool things but ultimately I dunno if any of it was for the better. Prime 3 I actually never got to play but I know the villain is Dark Link Samus so meh.

• Options
    Prime 1 is one of my favorite games of all times.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I have a ton of work to do. Time to throw on the OST. One of my favorite soundtracks to a game ever, as well.

Menu Theme. I was wondering where those chills were...

Fawst on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I don't know what it says that Metroid Prime's main menu screen has the most memorable music to me, and I don't particularly care. It was an awesome bit of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLLE_PvJ5mY

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    There aren't enough 6/8 time main themes, that's true.

Edit: Jumping Jesus, that was 2002. I'm so oooooooold.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I wish I understood what that meant. I get the concept in general of a 4/4 beat, but timings have never been a thing I understood. To YouTube!

And now I know! Yeah, 2002... man, it was a good year (even though/because I was unemployed), but I can't believe that was 12 years ago...

Fawst on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    That Samus Figma is indeed awesome. I have that and the Skyward Sword Link Figma standing next to each other on my TV stand.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    That Samus Figma is indeed awesome. I have that and the Skyward Sword Link Figma standing next to each other on my TV stand.

Hah, me too! Same place to boot. Only difference is that I've got a D-Arts Mega Man X joining them. Not to be a one-upper.

Ahem. At any rate, the figure is great and worth every penny of the $50 Amazon's selling it for.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Smile-Metroid-Action-Figure/dp/B00712Y28Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403037151&sr=8-1&keywords=samus+aran+figure

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Wait, when did Henroid get banned? One minute his image is fine, the next...

• Options
    i dream about buying those figures. sigh

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    My ordering probably goes the same as most people's in this thread for Metroid Prime favorites. I look back most fondly on the first Metroid Prime just for being an awesome Metroid game in 3D. It faced the natural pushback that any game making that jump gets... "It can't be done in 3D! It's going to lose the exploration and the jumping and the multiple paths and how will screw attack?!??!??!?! *hyperventilates*" ... and came out ahead. It's recognized as a legitimately good Metroid game, full stop.

After that, Prime 3. Less for the general quality than two specific things I just can't get out of my mind: first of all, Rundas's battle theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nMFLquJeCc

And second:
    Discovering, entirely by accident, that the vital-organ-finding visor enhancement combined with the plasma beam can kill the Hunter Metroid in one shot. I remember watching the cutscene for the second one of those guys start with dread, knowing that I always got my ass kicked by those things, starting gameplay, locking onto it... and oh hey. A targeting interface. *click* And then another cutscene to watch it die. I couldn't stop laughing for minutes.

And then we have Prime 2. Putting you in the equivalent of an overheated room for half the game (or more!) was just... not fun.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Huuurgh

I am so close to buying that figure

on the other hand, I have a ton of toys I bought that currently reside in drawers

The only figures I have on permanent display are MP1 Optimus Prime, G1 Grimlock, and (shutup) Bishojou Catwoman

Delzhand on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »

It was probably for never playing Prime 3. A grave mistake!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Henroid wanted this thread to be positive and full of badass great things. Sadly he never lived to see this dream realized.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Skimmed some of his recent posts, didn't see anything infraction worthy. Whatever it was could've been deleted, I suppose.
    ...Also. We have a chat thread?

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    In D&D.

We also have a chat forum!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2014

Talking with him over steam, he seems to believe that the he doesn't get along with the mods for reasons he doesn't feel like going into, and so he got the hammer over something relatively minor.

Regardless; while I'm sure the forum administration have their reasons for doing what they do, it does seem really odd to ban a guy without even having a listed infraction on his account to explain his sudden exile.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

Talking with him over steam, he seems to believe that the he doesn't get along with the mods for reasons he doesn't feel like going into, and so he got the hammer over something relatively minor.

Regardless; while I'm sure the forum administration have their reasons for doing what they do, it does seem really odd to ban a guy without even having a listed infraction to explain his sudden exile.

The Who Got Banned & Why Thread thread hasn't been a thing for a long time now. I mean, SE++ has a ban thread, but even then it's not like it's a consistent thing that the administration feels the need to make a public record. It seems that only they want to make a particular statement (like when SKFM got banned) that you'd see a message.

• Options
    Hopefully it's not permanent? I am guessing TSR was since his infraction period came and went without a return.

Anyways.

This discussion has been closed.