As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Running...

jbraggjbragg Registered User regular
Admittedly, this is a somewhat unique request. I'm training for the Chicago Marathon and need to get a long run in on Friday or Saturday morning. Anyone know of any good paths or routes?

"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." - Good Omens"

• Options
    AshrackAshrack Enforcer Deputy Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'll toss out two possible options.
    1. Without driving/bussing anywhere.
    Head down the hill from wherever you are starting in downtown Seattle until you hit the water front. Take a right, follow the water front for as long as you feel like going. That'll take you out about 3 miles, you can keep following the coast up to discovery park for about 8 miles out, or keep on up to the next park for 14 miles and it keeps going onward. Plenty of varied terrain courses and scenery.

2. With a bit of transportation, or a road run North through South Lake Union.
    Burke/Gilman trail is a great 26 mile paved running/biking trail. I run on it all the time and it's wonderful. You'll start up at Gasworks park, head north keeping lake washington on your right. Go as long as you like.

• Options
    Ashrack,

Burke/Gilman sounds wonderful. I'm sure I can work with the hotel to have a cab to take me up in the morning. Saves me a rough 2-3 hrs on a treadmill. Thank you so much.

"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." - Good Omens"
  • Options
    keeponrunningkeeponrunning Registered User regular
    The waterfront is nice, but, I'm a runner who's done many marathons, and I would recommend skipping the long run. Pax is full days on your feet. The last 2 years I've gotten in long runs on the Thursday before and regretted it each time.
    I would still get in a 6-8 miler but much more than that will make for a long uncomfortable weekend. Also if your trained well before pax one long run missed won't hurt. Your legs get a workout there no doubt.

I'll be there running most mornings If you want some company on a run

• Options
    Thanks, keeponrunning! I know it'll make things uncomfortable so I'm grateful for it and any advice. Training has been going well (knock on wood) though I'm still anxious about it. The past couple of years I've done 10's and halfs, but distance over 13m is all new territory for me, so I'm just taking it one step at a time.

• Options
    keeponrunningkeeponrunning Registered User regular
    I've done 75 marathons and ultras, and Chicago was my first. If you want to talk running hit me up on Twitter (same id). Love to go for a run in Seattle as well. Great running weather around pax time!!

• Options
    chlsebrzchlsebrz Registered User regular
    I highly recommend the run around SLU with the addition of the Ship Canal Trail or up the Fremont hill towards the Zoo. You can add on as much or as little distance as you like and its easy enough to get there from downtown.

• Options
    chlsebrzchlsebrz Registered User regular
    The waterfront is nice, but, I'm a runner who's done many marathons, and I would recommend skipping the long run. Pax is full days on your feet. The last 2 years I've gotten in long runs on the Thursday before and regretted it each time.
    I would still get in a 6-8 miler but much more than that will make for a long uncomfortable weekend. Also if your trained well before pax one long run missed won't hurt. Your legs get a workout there no doubt.

If you decide to only do 6-8 miles run South Lake Union as it minimizes lights and associated delays. Here's a "course map" http://www.lakeunion10k.com/course.html

• Options
    icloroxiclorox Registered User new member
    jbragg wrote: »
    Ashrack,

Burke/Gilman sounds wonderful. I'm sure I can work with the hotel to have a cab to take me up in the morning. Saves me a rough 2-3 hrs on a treadmill. Thank you so much.

If you're looking for another for a running group, I'm up for a quick 6-8 miler one or two mornings. In the middle of my training for my first half-marathon next month.

• Options
    cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    I'm with keeponrunning. Last year I did a long run going into the weekend thinking it a good idea as I had three upcoming 50ks in September. Really regretted it after being on my feet the entire weekend and ultimately, it had a negative impact on my running going into September. It is great to see there are some other runner/gamers here!

• Options
    sye46sye46 Registered User regular
    i like the waterfront to olympic sculpture park to myrtle edwards park idea someone already suggested..... it's close to downtown and has great views.

if you want something truly different...... take the 7 bus southbound and get off underneath I-90 bridge and run across it to Mercer Island. If you've never ran along a floating bridge before, it's pretty cool.