As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird phone call from a debt collector

MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
This morning I received a phone call from Ohio (I live in California) and as I usually do with weird out of state numbers, I ignored it. They left a message that said something along the lines of "This message is for (my name), if you are not (me) please hang up... by continuing to listen you have verified that you are (me)" and then something about how they were a debt collector and to give them a call back.

Thing is, I don't really have debt. I have one credit card that I've never made a late payment on, my boyfriend and I have an auto loan that has also always been paid off on time, and all of the college classes I've taken so far have been covered by the BOGG waiver. I shred all of the pre-approved credit card offers that I get in the mail before tossing them out. So I don't really know what they could be talking about. Googling the phone number got me a website called whycallme.com, that had one comment left by an anonymous user that said this:

"Well since I filed a complaint they called again. They did not give me a chance to ask them to not call. This number is a cell phone so it goes against my minutes that I pay for. Please stop them! Thanks."

Which doesn't really tell me any real information, other than implying that the people calling are harassing and maybe not calling for a legitimate reason. My gut reaction is to ignore it, but my gut reactions are usually dumb, so what should I do? Should I be worried about identity theft or anything like that?

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    if they call again, tell them to only contact you in writing going forward. it's likely a scam, but check your credit report if you can, just to be sure.

• Options
    Alright, will do. I assume if they ask for my address I tell them to screw off because they should have it if they're legit?

I checked my credit report from all three agencies and everything is as it should be, so I'm going to assume that they're a scam and not worry too much about it. Thanks!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I wouldn't confirm pretty much anything to them except possibly my name if they already had it.

I would under no circumstances provide them with any information at all until they'd established they were legit.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Melinoe wrote: »
    Alright, will do. I assume if they ask for my address I tell them to screw off because they should have it if they're legit?

I checked my credit report from all three agencies and everything is as it should be, so I'm going to assume that they're a scam and not worry too much about it. Thanks!

Yeah if they ask for your addy I'd ask them what they have on file, and just confirm or deny it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Yeah if they ask for your addy I'd ask them what they have on file, and just confirm or deny it.

I wouldn't even necessarily do that.

If you credit report is clean then I would be highly suspicious of someone calling out of the blue. Especially if they are trying to get any sort of personal information. If it continues and you've verified you have no outstanding debts I'd see about contacting your local authorities to see if they would handle something like this or if there is a government agency as it's a form of phishing.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    yeah don't verify anything, just say send it to me in writing, if it's legit and they have your address, then you'll get something in the mail (you probably wont)

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    My dad got these a few times. He told them to contact him in writing and never heard from them again as far as I recall.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Collection Agencies, on the bottom of the collection barrel, will cold call people with the same same as a debtor when looking for old debts.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    This morning I received a phone call from Ohio (I live in California) and as I usually do with weird out of state numbers, I ignored it. They left a message that said something along the lines of "This message is for (my name), if you are not (me) please hang up... by continuing to listen you have verified that you are (me)" and then something about how they were a debt collector and to give them a call back.

Thing is, I don't really have debt. I have one credit card that I've never made a late payment on, my boyfriend and I have an auto loan that has also always been paid off on time, and all of the college classes I've taken so far have been covered by the BOGG waiver. I shred all of the pre-approved credit card offers that I get in the mail before tossing them out. So I don't really know what they could be talking about. Googling the phone number got me a website called whycallme.com, that had one comment left by an anonymous user that said this:

"Well since I filed a complaint they called again. They did not give me a chance to ask them to not call. This number is a cell phone so it goes against my minutes that I pay for. Please stop them! Thanks."

Which doesn't really tell me any real information, other than implying that the people calling are harassing and maybe not calling for a legitimate reason. My gut reaction is to ignore it, but my gut reactions are usually dumb, so what should I do? Should I be worried about identity theft or anything like that?

I get these calls quite often. I live in an apartment, and I can only assume the phone number i got when i connected service was reused by someone. My answering machine picks up these calls alot, and I just ignore them. If they get me in person i tell them that that person does not live here, and i dont know who it is, yet they keep calling. I've even tried to get them to give me a manager but they usually hang up when i start to get pissy.

Just ignore them. Good luck blocking them because they usually have an unlisted number, and for some reason even the stupid phone company cant block numbers that are shown as unlisted.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    While you may have an actual debt, this is also a popular vector for scam artists looking to do some social engineering to phish identity information or a straight cash grab.

If you talk to them, tell them only to contact you in writing from that point on and to provide a written documented record of the debt. If they give you trouble over it by hemming and hawing, or by saying that if you don't handle it right now on the phone they will call the police and get you thrown in jail, Then its 100% a scam and they are trying to fear you into either giving up money or information.

As others have said, do not volunteer any information, ask them for what they have on file and be hesitant about even confirming/denying their information. If they have a legal debt, and you have not recently moved, they will have the information they need to contact you by mail.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Collections folks do make mistakes; they might have just found the wrong [your name].

But yeah, just tell them that you want all future communication in writing. If anything ever shows up, it'll tell you exactly what they think that you owe.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    you can be sent to collections for all kinds of stupid stuff not just credit cards and traditional loans

blockbuster used to send people to collections for 60 days late fees

• Options
    handofendowmenthandofendowment Registered User new member
    They can only ask, they can't harass.

• Options
    Alright, thanks guys. I may or may not pick up if they call again and tell them to only contact me in writing. Fortunately they didn't block the number so if they keep bugging me then I can have my cell provider block the number.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    If you so much as answer one of these calls, you get flagged as such and will usually just end up getting harassed more. Don't pick up unfamiliar numbers and then google them to make sure it was something you want set to ignore.

• Options
    I was reported to collections when I got out of the army and somehow ended up owing my old bank 1$, after closing my account.

• Options
    I don't believe for a second that a legit collection agency would bother with a $1 tab. I would be more inclined to believe that that was some sort of phishing scam.

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Oh dear..

I just got one of these calls two days ago, exactly the same as the OP. A debt collection agency from Ohio, "this message is for (my name), if you are not (my name) please hang up." The thing is, I actually do have an unresolved debt with my school, so I just assumed it was legit. I called them back, and the very first things they asked for were my name and SSN. Which I gave them.

They're probably a legitimate agency (I hope), but now I'm all paranoid that the records for my school debt got picked up by a scammer and I gave them my SSN..

I don't mean to thread-jack, but when I spoke with the rep on the phone, we talked about setting up a repayment plan and everything, and she said that they can set it up so that my checking account is billed automatically. I thought that sounded convenient, but didn't have my account or routing number, so I told them I would call them back when I had that information. Afterwords, I told my dad about it, and he told me that that was in fact a very bad idea and that I should be sending them money orders every month.

Is there a reason to be so skeptical of these debt collectors that you shouldn't even let them know you have a checking account? I just want to get this resolved as easily as possible, because I'm getting married next year and I really don't want to fuck anything up financially before I even really get my life started.

/thread-jack

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I think it sounds like you just gave your SSN to phone phishers dogg.

Are you certain the unresolved debt had already been sent to collections? Had you previously been in contract with a collection agency? Is there any way to follow the trail to the current debt holder and verify whether you were in fact communicating with them?

Be on high alert for identity theft until you figure that shit out. Sounds like all you need is additional debts incurred using your info. :(

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Oh dear..

I just got one of these calls two days ago, exactly the same as the OP. A debt collection agency from Ohio, "this message is for (my name), if you are not (my name) please hang up." The thing is, I actually do have an unresolved debt with my school, so I just assumed it was legit. I called them back, and the very first things they asked for were my name and SSN. Which I gave them.

They're probably a legitimate agency (I hope), but now I'm all paranoid that the records for my school debt got picked up by a scammer and I gave them my SSN..

I don't mean to thread-jack, but when I spoke with the rep on the phone, we talked about setting up a repayment plan and everything, and she said that they can set it up so that my checking account is billed automatically. I thought that sounded convenient, but didn't have my account or routing number, so I told them I would call them back when I had that information. Afterwords, I told my dad about it, and he told me that that was in fact a very bad idea and that I should be sending them money orders every month.

Is there a reason to be so skeptical of these debt collectors that you shouldn't even let them know you have a checking account? I just want to get this resolved as easily as possible, because I'm getting married next year and I really don't want to fuck anything up financially before I even really get my life started.

/thread-jack

It is a bad idea to give out your SSN to anyone calling you out of the blue. It is downright "holy crap do not do this" bad to give them access to your banking information. Your dad is right, assuming you fully confirmed that this debt was from your school (from both your school and the rep), do not give them access to your bank account.

Blarghy on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    ^ This.

Never ever ever give out important personal information like your SSN or bank account details over the phone.

Ever.

EVER.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If you so much as answer one of these calls, you get flagged as such and will usually just end up getting harassed more. Don't pick up unfamiliar numbers and then google them to make sure it was something you want set to ignore.

This, so much, altho they are getting even sneakier in Canada now, they'll use a nearby number, we've called back the number on occasion, and it's some random dudes house that is both shocked, and then very angry that his number is being used for this, and wasn't a one off, thing, I've begun calling back the number every time now) they are hijacking local numbers here, so that your neighbors number and shit will show as the number calling you

but ya, I'll echo the give them no information/don't even answer it people, it'll just get more of them after you. If not a blocked number, have you tried calling it back?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Never give a stranger that calls you up your SSN, credit card number, address or anything else to identify you. They could be lying liars that lie and now they have what they need to steal your money and/or identity. Or they could be semi legit, but they are pinning some other Sangheili91s debt on you, because you were easier to find. They called you, they should already know who they are trying to collect from.

And yes, even when it is a legit debt you don't want them to have your bank info if you can avoid it, in case they decide to start making you paying back faster than you can afford.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    If you've given out any info, and even if you haven't but got these calls, get a fraud alert on your credit now.

Can do the shorter one online at any of the credit agencies and they say they'll pass it on to the others.
    Here's Equifax: https://www.alerts.equifax.com/AutoFraud_Online/jsp/fraudAlert.jsp

Also specifically to anyone calling you - don't give out any info to anyone, ever. I got a little pissed at the agent from one of my cards because they called me and she was trying to get me to confirm address & account info. Not her fault, but very bad company policy to encourage customers to give out info over the phone.

If they're a legit agency, they will have everything they need. If they don't, you don't need to be helping them.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    If you ever pick up a cold call from an alleged collection agency, don't even verify your name. Tell them they do not have permission to contact via this phone number and that they should attempt contact by mail. If they're legit, they don't need to hear anymore than that from you at this point.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I got that exact call on my machine for someone who no longer lives at this address just two days ago. Granted, that person most certainly does have debts, but its nice to know that it could just be a cold call.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I got a bit paranoid after my credit card stolen some months ago and whenever an <insert reputable company name here> called from a number I didn't recognize as theirs (local comcast number or something), I would call back using their published number (1800 COMCAST) and go through the phone tree until I could speak to a person and confirm that they had indeed called me about my account information.

I've found this to be the best course of action for me. It's a LOT of hassle depending on the company involved, but better than than giving out information to a number I don't recognize.

The only problem with doing this with a debt collection call is that a lot of the time the people they are "calling on behalf of" list the issue as resolved because the debt was sold and that means they don't have to care anymore, and voluntarily calling a debt collector and giving them my information seems like just about the last thing I would ever want to do. Even legitimately hired debt collectors are often shady, shady companies.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Just to add, when you do get a debt payed off, make sure you keep all the records. Check your credit rating and make sure it shows as payed off, a lot of the time the debt collection agency will not get this done.

Also, once you agree to a payment plan, IN WRITING, do not miss or be even a day late on a payment. That will invalidate the entire contract and they can renegotiate at that point.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I don't believe for a second that a legit collection agency would bother with a $1 tab. I would be more inclined to believe that that was some sort of phishing scam.

Just want to add some agencies can get their records electronically and these things can slip past, but generally yes, it costs more sending mail/paying people to call you than what they would get back so companies tend to write off certain amounts.

• Options
    Retaba wrote: »

Just want to add some agencies can get their records electronically and these things can slip past, but generally yes, it costs more sending mail/paying people to call you than what they would get back so companies tend to write off certain amounts.

It was not a scam, it was on my credit report and I payed the buck and change to get it removed. The IRS has also sent my old man a bill for less than a dollar before. Computerized debt collection systems can send this shit out if there's no lower limit set.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I got a bit paranoid after my credit card stolen some months ago and whenever an <insert reputable company name here> called from a number I didn't recognize as theirs (local comcast number or something), I would call back using their published number (1800 COMCAST) and go through the phone tree until I could speak to a person and confirm that they had indeed called me about my account information.

I've found this to be the best course of action for me. It's a LOT of hassle depending on the company involved, but better than than giving out information to a number I don't recognize.

The only problem with doing this with a debt collection call is that a lot of the time the people they are "calling on behalf of" list the issue as resolved because the debt was sold and that means they don't have to care anymore, and voluntarily calling a debt collector and giving them my information seems like just about the last thing I would ever want to do. Even legitimately hired debt collectors are often shady, shady companies.

^ This needs to be re-emphasized ^

Most debt collection agencies are in no way attached to, say, law enforcement (even though many of them register business names that make it sound like they are). They are in a very risky business: paying-off debt to larger companies and gambling on their own ability to basically bully the previous debt holder to make back their money + profit (sometimes by charging the previous debt holder interest, sometimes by buying the old debt 'on sale', for lack of a better word, and then collecting the full amount from the previous debt holder). It's very important to understand that while these companies can, in theory, go through legal channels to try and force repayment (just like the original company could have), in practice they are often just a private party trying to get money from you with no backing from the state, and more importantly, no oversight.

There is zero reason to hand such an organization any personal details, and depending on where you live there may be laws against these companies harassing you over the phone / pressing you for any information they do not need. They don't need to know where you live, what your SSN is or what your banking information is to set-up a payment plan - at most, they need to know when,you can make payments and how much each payment will be for. Anything you provide beyond that just gives them extra leverage over you.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    cecilycecily Registered User regular
    Probably a scam but there is also the outside chance that they could be looking for someone else who has the same name that you have. That can be even more difficult to clear up. Good luck.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    A couple things: A real, legit, legally compliant debt collection company won't say anything about collections in a message. They won't even use their name, if their name is something like "bob's debt collection" - because this is considered passive harassment, IE a way to tell your wife, family or co-workers you owe money

Debt collectors also don't "gamble" by buying debt for cash - that is a nearly extinct practice - but work on the legal assignment of debt for a commission. Most of the time, your contracts with your providers stipulate you will pay all collection costs, plus principle (which is why those tiny debts are collectible - minimum contractual collection costs)

• Options
    creditsabrecreditsabre USARegistered User new member
    As someone who helps people deal with situations like this, I agree wholeheartedly with JohnnyCache. And as a general rule when you receive or miss a phone call from a debt collector.
    1. Never call them back.
    2. Log their calls for record purposes.
    3. Don't admit the debt is yours.
    4. Don't believe what they say, instead request them to put everything in writing.